Injury news

Commandant

Assuming both Briere and Prust go on IR, we're currently counting almost 17 million in cap hit for players in the pressbox.

Is any other NHL team even close to that?

Without looking. No. It's atrocious and unfortunate. If any good comes out of it, it's that Therrien will be pushed in a corner to give the kids more responsibility and give them first line minutes.

Without looking. No. It's atrocious and unfortunate. If any good comes out of it, it's that Therrien will be pushed in a corner to give the kids more responsibility and give them first line minutes.

that's what i'm hoping. I'd like to see Bournival get a longer look with skilled guys. I hated seeing Moen with Pleks and Gionta last night.

It was a bonehead move to sign Briere. I guess it could have been worse, we could have signed Vinny for 5 years.

Brière has a concussion. Let's hope it's not too severe. Not his 1st one too. This is turning real bad for him with the Habs.

3rd one in 20 months.

Philly (Pronger, Timonen, Lecavalier, Hartnell, Bourdon) - cap hit of $20,803,929 on IR.

Will Blunden, Leblanc, or Dumont likely be the call up(s)?

Would they maybe give Holland a shot in Briere's spot?

If they're going to stay out of LTIR (I think it's still doable though they'd be carrying the minimum), the forward callups will be between Blunden, Dumont, Tarnasky, and St. Pierre. If they do go to LTIR, Holland has a chance, as would others. Leblanc has been just as bad as last year early on, I don't think he'll get a look.

Briere 3rd concussion in less than 2 years. He may be in the same boat as Pronger, you just can't keep coming back from numerous concussions. I don't know if he had any prior to that but they keep adding up. If this is as bad as it looked, he may not come back. Keep him on ltir until his contract is over, wish him well. I am not sure why there was no interference call on that play. It may have been accidental but it is still interference.

3rd one in 20 months.

Philly (Pronger, Timonen, Lecavalier, Hartnell, Bourdon) - cap hit of $20,803,929 on IR.

If they're going to stay out of LTIR (I think it's still doable though they'd be carrying the minimum), the forward callups will be between Blunden, Dumont, Tarnasky, and St. Pierre. If they do go to LTIR, Holland has a chance, as would others. Leblanc has been just as bad as last year early on, I don't think he'll get a look.

Not a clue how LTIR works nor what it all means and am just curious who may get the call-up(s) and all 4 you mentioned are unlikely to have much of a future or impact with Habs.

Whereas Holland seems a smart player who may be a good 3rd-2nd line player in a few years and am curious how he would look alongside Bournival at higher level?

Likely still needs at least another year in Hamilton; but if Dumont and Leblanc arnt showing much may be best option?

But am sure the "cap-guy" with Habs needs to factor all the LTIR stuff in also for Bergevin.

Not a clue how LTIR works nor what it all means and am just curious who may get the call-up(s) and all 4 you mentioned are unlikely to have much of a future or impact with Habs.

Whereas Holland seems a smart player who may be a good 3rd-2nd line player in a few years and am curious how he would look alongside Bournival at higher level?

Likely still needs at least another year in Hamilton; but if Dumont and Leblanc arnt showing much may be best option?

But am sure the "cap-guy" with Habs needs to factor all the LTIR stuff in also for Bergevin.

I worked a scenario out in my head last night where the Habs should be able to call up two replacement forwards and not hit LTIR. For that to happen, the forwards needed to be out of that not-so-impressive list. Money aside, Holland would be my preference.

Wow, I hadn't realized this was Briere's third concussion in such a short span. Terrible.

Since he never really wanted to play here anyway, let's hope that - assuming the diagnosis is as dire as early impressions indicate - he doesn't do anything stupid like put his future quality of life on the line by trying to come back in the way that Marc Savard did.

I worked a scenario out in my head last night where the Habs should be able to call up two replacement forwards and not hit LTIR. For that to happen, the forwards needed to be out of that not-so-impressive list. Money aside, Holland would be my preference.

Sure, Blunden and/or Dumont see most likely I would guess? Seems those two would be safest call ups, Dumont is a gritty player and Blunden has size but not the grit.

Hope to see St Pierre. He had moments of brilliance in the preseason. Tarnasky is needed now. Until Parros returns. Those would be the two I would bring up now.

Can you clarify how and when someone can be brought in for a tryout from juniors? I know they can play only a handful of games, but when can it be exercised? Reway would replace Briere without taking away from our hard sought after lack of size.

Hope to see St Pierre. He had moments of brilliance in the preseason. Tarnasky is needed now. Until Parros returns. Those would be the two I would bring up now.

Can you clarify how and when someone can be brought in for a tryout from juniors? I know they can play only a handful of games, but when can it be exercised? Reway would replace Briere without taking away from our hard sought after lack of size.

St. Pierre is hurt at the moment so he's probably out of the question.

A player like Reway (or any other unsigned prospect, perhaps one that isn't getting benched in junior) could sign an ATO under emergency conditions (when there aren't enough available bodies to meet the minimum roster size). This is a one-day contract only; it most frequently happens with goalies, Brayden Schenn I believe was the last skater to do this. I'm pretty sure signed players (such as McCarron) could be recalled in an emergency situation as well. They aren't subject to the one-day rule but the 9-game threshold is still in play. I believe Ryan Murphy in Carolina did this last year for four games but I may be mistaken.

WOuld be nice to call up Thomas now.. bad timing.

Yes, I am sure Thomas would agree 100% and it would be nice to see how he would handle a regular shift for a few games?

How bout calling up Danny Kristo, who has 4 goals-7points in 6 games in AHL, he could fill in for Briere.

I hated that Kristo trade and seeing him play well in the AHL isn't helping change my mind.

I hated that Kristo trade and seeing him play well in the AHL isn't helping change my mind.

I don't know enough about Thomas to really complain, all I know is that I was very surprised when Kristo got shipped to NY and had been anticipating a good year in Hamilton for him.

Bergevin and Dudley supposedly are super at assessing pro-prospects, so they must see something in Thomas to their liking.

Also, Thomas is 2 years younger than Kristo and has already has 1 pro year (and 1 NHL game in Montreal) under his belt, so when comparing these 2 players need to factor that in and in 2 years will Thomas be as good as Kristo is today?

Although....the last trade with Rangers didn't seem to go so well for Habs.

What worries me is whether the driving force for the trade were character concerns about a kid in college and Thomas's bloodlines. The fact that Thomas is younger is really not an advantage IMO since Kristo chose the USA college route. The kid can skate and score.

I don't know enough about Thomas to really complain, all I know is that I was very surprised when Kristo got shipped to NY and had been anticipating a good year in Hamilton for him.

Bergevin and Dudley supposedly are super at assessing pro-prospects, so they must see something in Thomas to their liking.

Also, Thomas is 2 years younger than Kristo and has already has 1 pro year (and 1 NHL game in Montreal) under his belt, so when comparing these 2 players need to factor that in and in 2 years will Thomas be as good as Kristo is today?

Although....the last trade with Rangers didn't seem to go so well for Habs.