Injury news

Commandant

Brian Wilde has clarified.

1) Bourque's concussion was REALLY bad last year, really scary symptoms.

2) He currently has no symptoms.

3) He currently has a lower body injury.

4) Wilde's opinion is that based on the number of concussions Bourque has had and how serious his last one was, he should retire before the next one happens. Again he does not have one now.

A disturbing analysis, not unlike what a lot of people were saying about Marc Savard before the boom was lowered on him. I really hate the thought of these guys being one concussion away from destroyed lives. Assuming Wilde to be correct, it's regrettable that Bourque doesn't have the sense to step away and move on with his life; it's certainly not as though his play shows any passion for the game in any case.

It could be true, in which case it must be completely against everything Bourque has known his whole life to choose such a drastic prophylactic. Or Wilde could be talking out of his ass, which I wouldn't put past him. I can't believe that boob is still on TV.

A disturbing analysis, not unlike what a lot of people were saying about Marc Savard before the boom was lowered on him. I really hate the thought of these guys being one concussion away from destroyed lives. Assuming Wilde to be correct, it's regrettable that Bourque doesn't have the sense to step away and move on with his life; it's certainly not as though his play shows any passion for the game in any case.

If Wilde is correct, then I agree with you.

Of course, only Bourque and his doctors know if Wilde is correct or not. That said, he was out quite long on that concussion (as was Diaz last year) so they both likely had more serious symptoms than say Briere or Parros this season.

Thats the thing with concussions. You can't look at the hit and have any way of really diagnosing how severe it truly is. Something that looks really bad can be a lesser injury than something that looks relatively innocent sometimes.

Is Parros still injured? I thought someone had said he was day to day.

It seemed like it since he didn't skate for a few days but he has been lately so I'd guess he's ready if needed.

Some good news on the injury front, it's a bruised foot for Bournival. He's questionable for tomorrow.

Murray missed practice.

Speculation is he's a little sore from the fight.

Those were extremely hard punches at the end of the fight. Why are guys like him in the league? I felt a little gross watching him take those last 4 or 5. I'm not against fighting someone when they do something over the top against your team, but I am against putting boxers on skates and having them do nothing else. The trend needs to stop.

Guest Stogey24

Geez, I hope he's not concussed. Guys like Scott are animals. "I have a role," he says. My ass.

Have you seen the size of Murray's head? I'm sure he's fine. He came back after the fight too.

Geez, I hope he's not concussed. Guys like Scott are animals. "I have a role," he says. My ass.

If the NHL didn't believe he had a role they'd make a rule against guys like him. Remember how fast they made a rule on Sean Avery's stick waving? Scott averages 5:35 a game. All you have to do is rule that any player who averages less than 10 minutes a game and fights, the team immediately receives a major fine. Suddenly, guys like Scott won't exist because teams won't risk having him play > 10 minutes a game.

Have you seen the size of Murray's head? I'm sure he's fine. He came back after the fight too.

The fact that he came back proves little in a case like this, players often deceive medical personnel to get back on the ice (or it could be that he only felt the effects later, if concussed).

If the NHL didn't believe he had a role they'd make a rule against guys like him. Remember how fast they made a rule on Sean Avery's stick waving? Scott averages 5:35 a game. All you have to do is rule that any player who averages less than 10 minutes a game and fights, the team immediately receives a major fine. Suddenly, guys like Scott won't exist because teams won't risk having him play > 10 minutes a game.

That would certainly be a good start. Guys like Clarkson and Lucic who can fight and play would see their value inflate even more, while guys like Shawn Thornton who are on the cusp of 10 minutes would either be forced to play more, give up fighting or lose their job.

Plugs like Scott and Parros who can't play hockey would no longer be employed to punch people who play hockey.

Murray may miss another game and not as a healthy scratch. I had it on Toronto radio (SN 590) just now and they were interviewing Dave Stubbs who noted that Murray can't get his helmet on due to the swelling/stitches from the fight with Scott. If that's the case, he likely won't face Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...

The Habs have made it official that Parros has suffered a concussion. He's listed as day-to-day.

Well, that does it. They should ask him to sit out the season and serve as "team ambassador" or something. I doubt that old-school dudes like Bergevin and Therrien will have that level of decency and class, but I've been wrong before, Lord knows.

Well, that does it. They should ask him to sit out the season and serve as "team ambassador" or something. I doubt that old-school dudes like Bergevin and Therrien will have that level of decency and class, but I've been wrong before, Lord knows.

As dlbalr made it clear, it isn't that easy. If he gets cleared, he gets cleared. That's the current nature of concussion health in sports. As the documentary Head Games said, parents should be taking their kids out of sports after the first concussion, but there's no way that would happen. There's also no way you could tell a medically cleared George Parros he ain't playing anymore when the NHLPA would go nuts on you for it.

Parros himself though might decide it's time to hang it up. Then again, he probably enjoys his recent merchandise bump from being a Hab...

Man, George has had a rough go in Montreal. What's the guy suppose to do now. He's in this league to fight....

Easy, retire and go back to school, get a masters in communications or something, would be smart move if he wants a ride out a good final 50 years of life.

Go the Stu Grimson route and not Odjick.

Easy, retire and go back to school, get a masters in communications or something, would be smart move if he wants a ride out a good final 50 years of life.

Go the Stu Grimson route and not Odjick.

This.

I guess the "legal" issues are a problem, but if I'm MB, I look George in the eye and tell him that because the health of my players is my paramount commitment, I don't want him ruining the rest of his life by suiting up; and that I'll be glad to work with him to find another role in the organization. I get that the Habs have to pay him (which is as it should be). I don't get that they "have" to play him.

Parros himself though might decide it's time to hang it up. Then again, he probably enjoys his recent merchandise bump from being a Hab...

He already has told Michael Farber he's symptom free, essentially challenging the validity of the diagnosis already. That suggests to me he's not hanging them up and will be pushing to get back as soon as possible.

He already has told Michael Farber he's symptom free, essentially challenging the validity of the diagnosis already. That suggests to me he's not hanging them up and will be pushing to get back as soon as possible.

There we go. Parros has always said he enjoys his role - he's not one of those "tragic" goons like Kordic - and so there is no reason we should expect him to be different from any other player who ought to retire but isn't psychologically ready for it.

So, he goes out there again, plays a few games, suffers another concussion, and retires with permanent damage when it all could have been easily avoided. Just because he's educated doesn't mean he isn't a fool.

There we go. Parros has always said he enjoys his role - he's not one of those "tragic" goons like Kordic - and so there is no reason we should expect him to be different from any other player who ought to retire but isn't psychologically ready for it.

So, he goes out there again, plays a few games, suffers another concussion, and retires with permanent damage when it all could have been easily avoided. Just because he's educated doesn't mean he isn't a fool.

I hate watching this happen, it's like watching a trainwreck. One day one of these guys will get killed then we will do what is best for the player. But someone has to die or be really seriously injured before any common sense will set in.

I hate watching this happen, it's like watching a trainwreck. One day one of these guys will get killed then we will do what is best for the player. But someone has to die or be really seriously injured before any common sense will set in.

Fighting is heavily promoted and sells and seen as "Manly" and not the childish bush-league act that it is, that is bottom line.