Injury news

Commandant

Bombshell this morning from La Presse, who are claiming that Carey is likely done for the season, and that the team has known this was the case for a long time, but withheld the information so as to not have it affect ticket sales.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/canadiens-goalie-carey-price-is-done-for-the-season-la-presse-says

That seems like bullshit considering tickets were sold out in september, except for a couple hundred seats that need to be reserved for the opponent and only get released at the last minute if the opponent doesn't want them.

99% of the seats are long gone.

I think the issue is more the question of whether the team has been hiding the severity of Carey's injury. If so, you have to ask what would the motivation would be.

No question that regardless of tickets already being sold, if they had announced in December that Carey was out for the year, it would still have affected the teams bottom line.

I think the issue is more the question of whether the team has been hiding the severity of Carey's injury. If so, you have to ask what would the motivation would be.

I'd say the motivation would be to keep the players motivated. What sounds better from the perspective of the players:

1) Price is hurt but he's skating every day - we just need to stay close in the hunt and then we get the league MVP back.

2) We're out of a playoff spot and we have to claw our way back into it on the backs of Scrivens and Condon!? :scared:

If I'm a player, #2 is a real let down while #1 keeps me hungrier.

A lot more goes into marketing/revenues than ticket sales. If fans know that Price is out for the year, they're less likely to tune into TV, buy merchandise, or go to the games which cuts into concessions.

Tv contracts are paid for... they aren't going to be effected when they aren't up for renewal anytime soon. The ratings in 6 or 7 years when the deals are up will be a lot more important than a half season dip now. I don't think thats it.

Merch and Concessions.... half a season... don't think that many people with tickets already purchased are gonna stay home. So thats not effecting concessions. Merch? Maybe, but merch outside the bell centre is shared league wide so its only the stuff inside the building (and at the brossard store) that really matters; and i don't think any of this is big enough that we are gonna mess around with the franchise goalie.

I still think the most likely explanation is that no doctor can give a firm answer on when the MCL will be healed. More just.. keep doing these things and it will get better, we just have to see when that will be.

Tv contracts are paid for... they aren't going to be effected when they aren't up for renewal anytime soon.

They have one small one coming up for renewal after next year, the English regional rights. Sportsnet only signed a three year agreement for those rights. Not that Price playing or not this season should have any real sort of bearing on this.

Bottom line is that there is no good reason for Bergevin to show his hand for the season, to the fans, the other teams, or the media. Poker face makes for a better plan implementation, because in the end, no one outside that office knows the real story on what duration the injury to Price will be.

Maybe they don't know, so it all becomes exactly what it is, he will be back when he is able.

You have to admit, the Habs don't have much of a shot without him, so manage accordingly, and regroup for 2016/17.

Smart management I say...

Tv contracts are paid for... they aren't going to be effected when they aren't up for renewal anytime soon. The ratings in 6 or 7 years when the deals are up will be a lot more important than a half season dip now. I don't think thats it.

Merch and Concessions.... half a season... don't think that many people with tickets already purchased are gonna stay home. So thats not effecting concessions. Merch? Maybe, but merch outside the bell centre is shared league wide so its only the stuff inside the building (and at the brossard store) that really matters; and i don't think any of this is big enough that we are gonna mess around with the franchise goalie.

I still think the most likely explanation is that no doctor can give a firm answer on when the MCL will be healed. More just.. keep doing these things and it will get better, we just have to see when that will be.

So what's the right answer here? The team isn't going lose substantial amounts of money if people stop watching/going to the games? I've spent too much time in a non-traditional hockey market to believe that's the case.

So what's the right answer here? The team isn't going lose substantial amounts of money if people stop watching/going to the games? I've spent too much time in a non-traditional hockey market to believe that's the case.

People aren't going to stop going with tickets already being sold.

By the time the next round of tickets goes on sale in September, they'll be able to sell the return of carey price.

There is literally nothing to worry about.

Now if its a career ending injury, you'd have bigger issues, but you also wouldn't be able to hide that very long.

I think the answer here is LaPresse is engaging in speculation for the purposes of clickbait.

Oh yeah, and the team has adamantly denied the report and basically said lapresse is full of shit.

I actually think you could have used a season-ending injury to Price as a positive motivation tool for the players. There's a frustrating ambiguity in waiting for a superstar to return. If you know for sure he's gone, then there's a greater chance of the players coming together with a desperate 'underdogs against the world' mindset, a bit like Calgary did when Giordano (who I'll admit is no Carey Price) went down last year.

I wonder a bit about Carey's going to the US for a second opinion. Is it possible the Habs' doctors wanted him to get surgery and he sought out an alternative view in order to avoid that? Has the team been deferring to Price on this, with (perhaps) deleterious consequences?

For me as a fan, I find that I have already internalized the idea that Price is gone for the year and that this is a lost season. Probably many fans are in the same boat. I'd almost rather just give up than have this annoying buzzing in the ears saying 'maybe he'll come back, maybe he'll come back,' etc. After all, even if he does come back, it likely won't be enough to save the ship anyway.

Why is there a video of Carey Price practicing scoring goals when the rest of the team isn't? Maybe trying to give the coach a hint? He looked pretty good btw. And he is skating well.

Desharnais is in a walking boot after blocking a shot in the third last night. Great news!

Looks like it was from a Gilbert shot. So for all of you that said that Gilbert did nothing for Montreal... <_<

Looks like it was from a Gilbert shot. So for all of you that said that Gilbert did nothing for Montreal... <_<

Therrien will be bedside, massaging it better

:rofl: I can't remember the last time I was happy to hear about a Habs player being injured. Le Genius will probably need antidepressants just to make it to the rink for the next game...I'm sure the thought of not having DD in the lineup has him questioning his will to live.