Injury news

Commandant

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

@alfredoh2009 I'm not sure.

Several years ago the Leafs goalie (I think it was Rhiemer) got clipped in a very similar manner where his head got snapped the other direction.  I think he was down on all 4's when the impact happened and his head was knocked to the side.  That play didnt look like much either but he was concussed and I believe he missed over a month.  He was out for much longer than anybody would have guessed.   

Identical play. It was Gionta

2 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Identical play. It was Gionta

Ya, I was certain a Habs did it so I looked it up after I posted that.  I thought it was around 5 years ago so I was shocked when I saw it was Gionta and realized that happened 10 years ago back in 2011.

I dont recall it being identical but very similar - both looked like fairly innocent nothing plays.  I dont believe Reimers jaw got knocked to the side.  ex:  you're looking straight ahead, and then there is an impact to your jaw and then you're looking directly to the left.  Reimers head was bent to the side so his ear went closer to his shoulder. 

Wow, I just saw the video from behind the net and from that angle it looks way more viscous than what the other angles show.  The above angle doesnt look like much.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Kassian seems hurt. 

RDS showed a clip ... seems he hurt himself throwing a check on Weber behind the habs net as Weber threw an outlet pass ... nothing obvious happened but Kassian then couldn't put weight on his left leg as he struggled/limped to the bench 

EDIT: Video added below ... the second/bottom clip shows the seeming innocuous play

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Keep him on injured reserve and spend the savings on Caufield? Primeau being emergency call up? 

Primeau is already an Emergency call-up ... but still counts against the cap

Only way an injury "helps" with the cap is if the player is on LTIR ... which means not another game in the regular season ... unless Price is projected as out for the playoffs too I expect they will want him to play a couple of times before the playoffs

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Why in the world did they even take him out west ... Price was always going to be out until
at least Monday ... and doubt it is ideal for those recovering from a concussion to fly, 

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Why in the world did they even take him out west ... Price was always going to be out until
at least Monday ... and doubt it is ideal for those recovering from a concussion to fly, 

As Eric Engels said earlier in the week.... before you talk about Caufield being in practice but not playing, ask Romanov what he thought about that during the bubble. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Why in the world did they even take him out west ... Price was always going to be out until at least Monday ... and doubt it is ideal for those recovering from a concussion to fly, 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As Eric Engels said earlier in the week.... before you talk about Caufield being in practice but not playing, ask Romanov what he thought about that during the bubble. 

I was referring to Price (the subject of the tweet I quoted) ... not Caufield ... Always thought it made sense to bring Caufield along for exactly the reason you cite.

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I was referring to Price (the subject of the tweet I quoted) ... not Caufield ... Always thought it made sense to bring Caufield along for exactly the reason you cite.

Price was injured in the first game of the trip in Edmonton.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This is a good sign...

Not sure why. Unless there is additional videos of him with a puck. Just looks like he’s skating to keep his conditioning up. Probably still can’t shoot or stick handle.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not sure why. Unless there is additional videos of him with a puck. Just looks like he’s skating to keep his conditioning up. Probably still can’t shoot or stick handle.

I thought the same thing, I assume it's his right thumb as he doesn't seem to want to grip the stick with his right hand. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

He can't be activated off LTIR til the playoffs anyway.  He's got 3 weeks.

Oh, I know that. I just think it’s premature thinking his injury is getting better, by simply seeing him skate when he has a thumb injury.  We have no idea how effective he will be in the playoffs and if there will be any lingering effects on his shot or stick handling.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Oh, I know that. I just think it’s premature thinking his injury is getting better, by simply seeing him skate when he has a thumb injury.  We have no idea how effective he will be in the playoffs and if there will be any lingering effects on his shot or stick handling.

The good news is that they feel he is unlikely to re-injure the thumb were he to fall on that hand ... otherwise they would not allow him to be skating, or at least skating aggressively ... and it is obviously great for him to be working the legs and, to a degree his cardio, to prepare for the eventual return.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If if it was skating just for conditioning purposes, he wouldn't have the glove on and be holding a stick.  The fact the glove is on says the swelling has come down and the fact he's able to grip the stick with the hand (off and on in the clip) is the sign of progress and that he's on track.  Next steps are light puckhandling, shooting, etc and he'll have a few weeks to do that obviously.

It's a six-week injury - I wasn't trying to imply he's ready to come back by posting the clip.  It's a small first step in the process, nothing more.  But knowing that it takes a few weeks for the stickhandling/shooting part, it's important that he's back on the ice now if he wants to have a shot at being back for the playoffs.

I am certain there is a variety of insulting or "humorous" reasons that could be speculated but I just wish him well ... he may not have delivered what we fans want (especially given he cost a defenceman who is virtually tied with Ryan McDonagh for 2nd in TOI amongst defencemen on the 4th best team in the NHL) but I simply wish him well

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I am certain there is a variety of insulting or "humorous" reasons that could be speculated but I just wish him well ... he may not have delivered what we fans want (especially given he cost a defenceman who is virtually tied with Ryan McDonagh for 2nd in TOI amongst defencemen on the 4th best team in the NHL) but I simply wish him well

Yeah I have nothing against the man Drouin and I wish him the best. 

Hopefully he gets the help he needs and comes back as a better hockey player 

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Definitely wish him well, first and foremost he is a human being, hopefully he can sort out what is bothering him so he can have a productive life.