Injury news

Commandant

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Fearless Prediction Re Price: just going through the motions and will end up not quite getting healthy enough for this season.  Will never play again.

Doesn't want to retire and lose out on $$$.

We would carry a tidy $18M of LTIR for four more years. If I understand LTIR correctly, I think that would make operating on a small cap hit (because we traded away a bunch of big contracts) rather awkward.

12 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Fearless Prediction Re Price: just going through the motions and will end up not quite getting healthy enough for this season.  Will never play again.

Doesn't want to retire and lose out on $$$.

Extremely doubtful.

If he was hurt so bad that he will never play again he would be doing what weber is doing.  Not showing up at the facility and working through rehab on his knee and all of this.

Hed just quietly go back to the west coast where he lives in the offseasons like weber did amd be on LTIR there.

I think christmas is a good timeline.  Play by mid january and go to the olympics.

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Extremely doubtful.

If he was hurt so bad that he will never play again he would be doing what weber is doing.  Not showing up at the facility and working through rehab on his knee and all of this.

Hed just quietly go back to the west coast where he lives in the offseasons like weber did amd be on LTIR there.

I think christmas is a good timeline.  Play by mid january and go to the olympics.

I agree with you ... the only reason I could see him putting himself through this ***if*** his injuries are that bad would be because he wants one last shot at the Olympics before pulling the plug ... problem with that idea is that playing in the Olympics might make it difficult to justify LTIR afterwards ... and Price still has SUBSTANTIAL salary in the last years of his contract ($31.25M) so retirement is unlikely.

Is Price really going to be Canada's Olympic starter - ? Not saying this is a bad call, but it surprises me a little bit now that I think about it. I had assumed that there would be another sure-fire elite Canadian starter supplanting him by this stage in his career. But I just don't see Darcy Kuemper, Jordan Binnington, Mackenize Blackwood, or Carter Hart as G at that truly elite level. Am I just underrating the next wave, or is Canada looking at an era of having "pretty good" rather than great goalies in international best-on-best competition (very unusual for us)?

EDIT: as for the Habs and injuries, this is getting ridiculous: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Injuries | TSN

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is Price really going to be Canada's Olympic starter - ? Not saying this is a bad call, but it surprises me a little bit now that I think about it. I had assumed that there would be another sure-fire elite Canadian starter supplanting him by this stage in his career. But I just don't see Darcy Kuemper, Jordan Binnington, Mackenize Blackwood, or Carter Hart as G at that truly elite level. Am I just underrating the next wave, or is Canada looking at an era of having "pretty good" rather than great goalies in international best-on-best competition (very unusual for us)?

EDIT: as for the Habs and injuries, this is getting ridiculous: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Injuries | TSN

Been wondering the same thing, As mentioned Fleury would be up there still but is also old.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I agree with you ... the only reason I could see him putting himself through this ***if*** his injuries are that bad would be because he wants one last shot at the Olympics before pulling the plug ... problem with that idea is that playing in the Olympics might make it difficult to justify LTIR afterwards ... and Price still has SUBSTANTIAL salary in the last years of his contract ($31.25M) so retirement is unlikely.

good points, big thing for me is that I don’t see him playing in the olympics.  I don’t think he is physically or mentally able to nor will he be. 

Decent chance league doesn’t even send players still, if I was a GM/owner I wouldn’t want to risk the travel, injuries, COVID issues with my star players.

The NHL already is best on best for their sport.

China is shitty and the olympics are outdated, over rated, corrupt AF.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Extremely doubtful.

Oh I see your point, but I think he is checked out and just going through the motions as he has to in order to meet his contract requirements.

Maybe he has Olympic hopes, but hard to believe he can be ready for that, nor should he leave his team given the roller coaster of issues he has had over past many seasons.  
In some ways it is Selfish to  miss half of a season and then come back to your job, team just to get enough playing time to go play a tournament.  
I have a hard time seeing him back to top tier quality, health.  If he makes it to olympics, hard to picture him then returning to high level of play for the Habs.

Hard to picture him coming back to the shit show that is this team, risking further injuries.  Think he has to go through the steps, will eventually hit a point like Weber.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

good points, big thing for me is that I don’t see him playing in the olympics.  I don’t think he is physically or mentally able to nor will he be. 

Decent chance league doesn’t even send players still, if I was a GM/owner I wouldn’t want to risk the travel, injuries, COVID issues with my star players.

The NHL already is best on best for their sport.

China is shitty and the olympics are outdated, over rated, corrupt AF.

The CBA negotiations comitted the owners to going assuming its feasible.  The players want it and made sure it was part of the recent CBA.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

The CBA negotiations comitted the owners to going assuming its feasible.  The players want it and made sure it was part of the recent CBA.

Assuming no country bars its athletes from attending the question will come down to whether the health of the players is in danger for any reason, almost certainly Covid-related ... undoubtedly the Chinese government will report that all is well ... the BIG question IMO will be whether the NHL and NHLPA trust the "official" Covid numbers in China ... the other factor that could impact things will be whether the evolution of Covid results in air travel again being restricted ... if the players could go (i.e., no government restrictions) I doubt it will be a one-sided decision by the NHL as to whether they should go ... Covid could still provide countries with a reason to pull out unrelated to the various human rights issues in China that are the basis for calls to boycott ... like Tokyo 2020 a major Covid related issue could just defer the question for a year.

24 minutes ago, huzer said:

... We may end up dipping into ECHL before long...

Arsen Khisamutdinov gets his shot ... he is 7th in goals, 9th in points and one of 6 Lions to be a "plus" ... OBVIOUSLY he is NHL ready.
😉

20 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Oh I see your point, but I think he is checked out and just going through the motions as he has to in order to meet his contract requirements.

These contract requirements...what exactly are you referring to?  There's nothing in a contract that says a player has to be on the ice at a certain time to prove they're trying to rehab to come back so I'm curious as to what you mean by that line.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:
Arsen Khisamutdinov gets his shot ... he is 7th in goals, 9th in points and one of 6 Lions to be a "plus" ... OBVIOUSLY he is NHL ready.
😉

The 'plus' is that he's actually back in the lineup after being a healthy scratch at one point.  How they haven't agreed to a contract termination yet is beyond me.

Price on ice for 50 minutes in full gear ... no indication he did anything but skate, play around with the puck and stretch on the ice (i.e., no "goaltending" movements that we know of).

Surgery for Toffoli, out eight weeks at least - likely longer with the All-Star/Olympic breaks coming at the end of that eight-week stretch.

Evans is day-to-day now while Armia is back tonight.  Petry skated today and it appears he's close to returning.  He's on IR (the team didn't even bother announcing it) and Tuesday is the first day he can be activated.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Surgery for Toffoli, out eight weeks at least - likely longer with the All-Star/Olympic breaks coming at the end of that eight-week stretch.

Evans is day-to-day now while Armia is back tonight.  Petry skated today and it appears he's close to returning.  He's on IR (the team didn't even bother announcing it) and Tuesday is the first day he can be activated.

let's hope he plays a game or two before the trade deadline, he is one of the players I think will be traded.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

If things keep going like this it may be quite difficult to catch that last wildcard spot.  Going 40 wins and 14 losses (likely what they need) is gonna be tough with these injuries mounting. 

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

let's hope he plays a game or two before the trade deadline, he is one of the players I think will be traded.

The deadline is March 21st this year so he'd have a few weeks to be showcased if they are interested in moving him.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If things keep going like this it may be quite difficult to catch that last wildcard spot.  Going 40 wins and 14 losses (likely what they need) is gonna be tough with these injuries mounting. 

Why are you always so pessimistic!

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope he is still a Hab next season.

2 hours ago, DON said:

I hope he is still a Hab next season.

I would rather see Hoffman go than Toffoli, but I believe Toffoli has higher value to other teams: would fetch a greater return

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Given most teams cap situations i think guys with multiple years left may not be moved at the deadline.  Chiarot, Kulak, lehkonen, etc... may be easier to move.

The first week of July perhaps the busier period for those folks (draft is July is July 7&8 with free agency in the 13th).

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Given most teams cap situations i think guys with multiple years left may not be moved at the deadline.  Chiarot, Kulak, lehkonen, etc... may be easier to move.

Easier, yes. But I expect they'll be working hard to move those players that can make a difference in the rebuild. And that means that Petry, Gallagher, Toffoli and Hoffman will be more important to move than Lehkonen.