Injury news

Commandant

Edmundson? I vaguely recall someone by that name playing for the Habs somewhere in the distant past. It seems like it was a good memory, so hopefully he really is returning!

• Jeff Petry is wearing a no-contact jersey at practice. He's day-to-day with an upper-body injury.

• Jake Evans, Paul Byron, Joel Edmundson, Jonathan Drouin and Christian Dvorak are also practicing with no-contact jerseys.

• Jake Allen is back at practice as well.

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1500963218239467522?s=20&t=4kxq4_E-S1T4TW-ds4pWcg

59 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That's six no-contact jerseys! 😢

But only ONE is a bit of a surprise ... JP played 22:09 last game.

OR

Totally unsubstantiated conspiracy theory ... there is a pending trade and H&G decided it was OK for him to practice if it was non-contact ... 😉

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Totally unsubstantiated conspiracy theory ... there is a pending trade and H&G decided it was OK for him to practice if it was non-contact ... 😉

Maybe we should do the same with Chiarot...

23 minutes ago, Neech said:

Why not this week?

There's no real right or wrong way to do it but generally, teams only bench a guy for trade purposes a week out from the deadline at most.  An acquiring team isn't going to want their new player coming in extra rusty.  I could see management giving him one more home game (with a full house for the first time in a bit) as a 'sendoff' of sorts and then sit him soon after that.  

There are also roster considerations.  If Edmundson isn't ready tomorrow as planned, if Petry can't go, etc, they may need Chiarot just to dress six defencemen.  

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There's no real right or wrong way to do it but generally, teams only bench a guy for trade purposes a week out from the deadline at most.  An acquiring team isn't going to want their new player coming in extra rusty.  I could see management giving him one more home game (with a full house for the first time in a bit) as a 'sendoff' of sorts and then sit him soon after that.  

There are also roster considerations.  If Edmundson isn't ready tomorrow as planned, if Petry can't go, etc, they may need Chiarot just to dress six defencemen.  

I think we are kind of stuck waiting since Giordano, Klingberg, and lindholm are available for probably around similar prices, and I think if I was looking to give up a first, I’d prefer them myself. Chyhrun is also available, albeit to teams that have, and are willing to give up more quality young prospects.

The risk of waiting of course is being stuck and getting type of return Garth Snow got from us at the last minute for Vanek. Why can’t the isles hire another Milbury, or Snow??

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... Why can’t the isles hire another Milbury, or Snow??

Or both

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think we are kind of stuck waiting since Giordano, Klingberg, and lindholm are available for probably around similar prices, and I think if I was looking to give up a first, I’d prefer them myself. Chyhrun is also available, albeit to teams that have, and are willing to give up more quality young prospects.

For Klingberg, since he's only 29 and still pretty good at what he does, I would not put him in the same category as Giordano and Chiarot.   The team that will get Klingberg will probably go the  Trade + Sign route and will have to pay a bit extra (like NYI did for Pageau).

19 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

For Klingberg, since he's only 29 and still pretty good at what he does, I would not put him in the same category as Giordano and Chiarot.   The team that will get Klingberg will probably go the  Trade + Sign route and will have to pay a bit extra (like NYI did for Pageau).

Agree, that is what I had in mind on my trade proposal (other thread)

Edited by alfredoh2009

Apparently according to Renaud Lavoie, Carey Price is doing very well right now. He was on the ice for 45 minutes in full gear and took some shots. 

Lavoie reported that Price and the team are planning on him playing in April. Both sides want him to play before this season finishes. 

Good news. 

• Like 2

Edmundson will be activated off IR and will play tonight.

Dvorak, Drouin, and Allen are all practicing but won't play this weekend.  Dvorak has been cleared for limited contact.

Hammond will be re-evaluated soon so it doesn't appear as if he'll be back anytime soon.

Montreal has a full roster so a move will need to be made to activate Edmundson.  My guess is it'll be Paquette to IR.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

... My guess is it'll be Paquette to IR.

I thought that made sense ... and what MB would have done ... seems that H&G are less worried about possible media sensitivity to a Francophone being demoted ... good news for Paquette is that he is on a one-way contract (full salary in the AHL) ... wonder if (a) he will report and (b) will be any help to the Rocket if he does?

33 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I thought that made sense ... and what MB would have done ... seems that H&G are less worried about possible media sensitivity to a Francophone being demoted ...

At the moment it looks like we'll still have Drouin, Dauphin, Perreault and Montembeault on the roster. I think that's more francophone players than we have had in a long time.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The Dallas game would give him two games before the trade deadline.  Is that enough for interested teams to be convinced he's back to form?

The Habs sure have some massive 4 point games coming up, Seattle, Philly, Arizona. It's not a bad week to cool down a bit. 

It is good that Jake Allen is coming back, another trade option. 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe conditional on a medical?

I think that doctor's OK before a trade is a pretty standard clause ... but I believe it is at the moment of the trade not down the road (i.e., can't give him two more weeks after the trade to re-hab and then decide) ... not certain a "medical" can even be done later than the deadline.