Injury news

Commandant

On 10/6/2022 at 11:13 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

So injuries to start the season as far as we know...

Dadanov, Dvorak, Drouin, Anderson, Monaghan and Suzuki all game shape?

Matheson day to day lower body injury

Armia out 1-2 weeks

Heineman thumb out 6 weeks

Edmundson skated today no timeline yet

Byron likely done

Price done

So we go in carrying two extra forwards for now?

That Heineman thumb injury is really a freak one. If it was the play where he got (inadvertently?) tripped in front of the net and slid into the boards, a thumb injury was about the last thing I would have expected.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not an injury report per see, but a very good article on the process of rebuilding Gallagher to full health. I think he will make Dadonov and Hoffman redundant where before we had Gally projected as a drag-down on the cap and an untradeable contract

Deadlifting 3x your body weight is pretty awesome, but based on the article, he's been doing that before. There was a ton of detail there, but I think the goal of his off-season program was to (1) recover from his injuries, and (2) protect him from further injuries.

Let's see how he looks like in the first month or two. The training regimen is a good sign, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not the cooking.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Deadlifting 3x your body weight is pretty awesome, but based on the article, he's been doing that before. There was a ton of detail there, but I think the goal of his off-season program was to (1) recover from his injuries, and (2) protect him from further injuries.

Let's see how he looks like in the first month or two. The training regimen is a good sign, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not the cooking.

he has played well during camp, not limping anymore and not returning to the bench gasping for air.

He already look setter than Dadonov, which is a minor win.

All I am saying is that if he is close to a 25 goal pace for the season, given his reliable two-way play, he will also surpass Hoffman as a 3rd line option.

If it's at this point and they're now waiting for MRI results, this might not be a short-term DTD thing.  Perhaps there's a case to make for a Meloche claim this afternoon after all since it sure looks like Matheson is IR-bound.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If it's at this point and they're now waiting for MRI results, this might not be a short-term DTD thing.  Perhaps there's a case to make for a Meloche claim this afternoon after all since it sure looks like Matheson is IR-bound.

Definitely not a good sign.

Hopefully back by 9 games  and the kids get their look.

18 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

That expression kicks ass, don’t think I’ve heard it fully before.

Now usually shortened to just "the proof is in the pudding"

18 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Definitely not a good sign.

Hopefully back by 9 games  and the kids get their look.

Don't think that 9 games is relevant contract-wise for any of the defencemen as they are going to the AHL if they leave, not junior ...however, I believe that Slafkovsky is a different situation because of his age and Euro-background, but not certain HuGo are hoping/expecting to preserve a year on his ELC.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Which totally loses the meaning. :)

Agreed ... although most folks at least understand the VERY GENERAL concept it is intended to convey.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Don't think that 9 games is relevant contract-wise for any of the defencemen as they are going to the AHL if they leave, not junior ...however, I believe that Slafkovsky is a different situation because of his age and Euro-background, but not certain HuGo are hoping/expecting to preserve a year on his ELC.

Correct.  The only current Hab that the nine-game threshold matters for is Slafkovsky.  It would also apply to Mesar if he was recalled but that's not going to happen by the sounds of things.

I thought Matheson looked more comfortable walking out for "the wave" than did Edmundson ... Joel looked to me very much like someone with a very sore back ... he may be skating but I have no confidence he is close to healthy.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Ahha gotcha. Thx

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I guess the MRI scan didn’t look good?

Bummer

It will be interesting to hear whether MSL has any timeframe details.

19 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Bummer

my thought on reading this:

"thank you fate and bad luck, you are clearly on the side of the tank" :)

39 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Bummer

Not necessarily.  The Habs could have back-dated this (I'll try to remember to check later) which means he might only miss a game or two.  Doing this was needed to give them seven healthy d-men heading out on a back-to-back road trip; they didn't want to only go with 6.  If they didn't IR Matheson, their only other option to add a d-man would have been sending Slafkovsky down to open up the roster spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Not necessarily.  The Habs could have back-dated this (I'll try to remember to check later) which means he might only miss a game or two.  Doing this was needed to give them seven healthy d-men heading out on a back-to-back road trip; they didn't want to only go with 6.  If they didn't IR Matheson, their only other option to add a d-man would have been sending Slafkovsky down to open up the roster spot.

Brian, your knowledge and understanding of “inner workings” of NHL are incredible. 

Thanks for all you do here

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Not necessarily.  The Habs could have back-dated this (I'll try to remember to check later) which means he might only miss a game or two. 

I checked - it doesn't look like the placement was back-dated so it's at least seven days from today.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Brian, your knowledge and understanding of “inner workings” of NHL are incredible. 

Thanks for all you do here

Much appreciated.  I enjoy the little under the radar things that go on regarding player and cap management so this is the type of stuff I always watch for.

• Like 1

Don't know that I want to run THAT long with 4 rookies.