Injury news

Commandant

Injured in the Skills Composition ... it has been THAT sort of season.

Red being a regular practice sweater.

Updates:

Armia is DTD with an upper respiratory infection and won't be with the team on the road trip.

Dach is out indefinitely with a lower-body injury and won't be on the road trip.

Monahan won't accompany the team on the road trip.

Edmundson will travel with the team for the trip and will practice on Monday.

Xhekaj is out for the season and will have surgery next week.

Guhle has evidently been cleared to return as Schueneman has been sent to Laval.

6 hours ago, DON said:

The kids are taking a beatin!

(why did they let Guhle come back and play after getting hurt?)

learning on the job how to be an NHL coach is hard. That is why

I also suspect that, when you throw raw rookies into huge roles, they tend to get hurt. Unused to the NHL’s insane speed and physicality, they need to learn how to manage their movements so as not to put themselves at risk. Look at McDavid, who went careening into the boards and missed half a season as a rookie. I’m sure he learned from that to be a bit more strategic about when he deploys those turbocharged burners of his.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I also suspect that, when you throw raw rookies into huge roles, they tend to get hurt. Unused to the NHL’s insane speed and physicality, they need to learn how to manage their movements so as not to put themselves at risk. Look at McDavid, who went careening into the boards and missed half a season as a rookie. I’m sure he learned from that to be a bit more strategic about when he deploys those turbocharged burners of his.

Didn't Matheson hit him?

Younger players are taking a beating ..now is Harris is day to day injury.

Oh goody, Guhle is back for more damage...please Robidas put him in bubble-wrap.

50 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder what the hell actually happened to Dach? 

STD? Flesh eating disease? Broke his peen? 

I am also curious but, in a typical Gemini move, if the Habs won't tell I don't care ... but if they don't discuss it after the season, I will be annoyed .... but this is also in part circumstantial ... if they were in the playoffs or in a playoff chase then I would have more curiosity since their chances would/could be impacted by the severity of an injury.

12 hours ago, DON said:

Good god!

Holy moly that is bad mojo or something that the team has.

I like the revamped Habs staff, they are on board with the tank!

17 hours ago, DON said:

Good god!

Holy moly that is bad mojo or something that the team has.

I honestly think that have to at least explore whether there is something amiss in their medical staff or the team approach to injured players. This is bananas. 

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I honestly think that have to at least explore whether there is something amiss in their medical staff or the team approach to injured players. This is bananas. 

They said they are looking into it, somewhat recently.

And some mumbo about.. protecting the players from themselves

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes, but there is also the other possibility: injured players are moved to IR more quickly now, because the season is not critical.  Players often play injured -- see Weber, Shea for a prime example, Montembeault, Samuel last season, or even Wideman, Chris, for a recent instance -- especially when teams are hunting for a playoff spot or actually in the post-season.

Given that we are not trying to get into the post-season, the bar for moving a player onto the IR could be significantly lower, and, as a result, it would look like we have more injuries when, in fact, we are actually getting them treated more quickly.

This is totally hypothetical, though, it seems like a viable theory, but I have no evidence to back it up (nor any evidence to discredit it, for that matter).

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes, but there is also the other possibility: injured players are moved to IR more quickly now, because the season is not critical.  Players often play injured -- see Weber, Shea for a prime example, Montembeault, Samuel last season, or even Wideman, Chris, for a recent instance -- especially when teams are hunting for a playoff spot or actually in the post-season.

Given that we are not trying to get into the post-season, the bar for moving a player onto the IR could be significantly lower, and, as a result, it would look like we have more injuries when, in fact, we are actually getting them treated more quickly.

This is totally hypothetical, though, it seems like a viable theory, but I have no evidence to back it up (nor any evidence to discredit it, for that matter).

Good post (IMO) ... teams cannot force an injured player to play; they can only prevent them from playing ... there were some reports that Monahan insisted on playing when his foot was injured ... I expect the Habs allowed him to do so because their training/medical staff advised that the foot injury itself could not be aggravated ... from reports, it seems the issue is that while re-habbing the foot something else (hip?, knee?) was injured/aggravated ... I don't see how to blame the medical or training staff for the initial injuries ... there seem to have been logical causes for all the injuries ... but I hope they are carefully studying how the diagnosis, treatment and assessment of the injuries was conducted ... ***IF*** there is an issue that is where it might be.

58 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Excellent point. Maybe guys like Price and Weber would have had (even longer) careers if they hadn’t routinely being playing through injuries because the team desperately needed them. As you say, we have no way of knowing whether the team is being extra precautionary, or whether something else is afoot (either crazy bad lucky, or problems in managing injured guys).

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Good post (IMO) ... teams cannot force an injured player to play; they can only prevent them from playing ... there were some reports that Monahan insisted on playing when his foot was injured ... I expect the Habs allowed him to do so because their training/medical staff advised that the foot injury itself could not be aggravated ... from reports, it seems the issue is that while re-habbing the foot something else (hip?, knee?) was injured/aggravated ... I don't see how to blame the medical or training staff for the initial injuries ... there seem to have been logical causes for all the injuries ... but I hope they are carefully studying how the diagnosis, treatment and assessment of the injuries was conducted ... ***IF*** there is an issue that is where it might be.

Obviously the foot bone connected to the leg bone. I sure hope the medical staff didn’t say “well, his foot will be fine” while overlooking the dangers to other parts of the body caused by compensating for an injury elsewhere. Presumably they are pros who would not omit that info. Whether the team was too deferential to the player is another question, though, and a fair one.