Injury news

Commandant

If there was an AHL it might make sense to play him there... but he is better than guys like weise and hudon who we could be fourth liners in August and its better he plays in august than not play at all.  

Hes one of our 12 best forwards so play him.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think he should have been in the AHL earlier this year and he was rushed.  But given their may not be an AHL season, I’d say you bring him to the camp and play-in and use him if he looks good. It’s at most 5 games and than they is almost a 5 month layoff for the NHL and longer if there is no AHL season.  May as well let him okay and get though the injury butterflies now.  It’s not like there are so many great players ahead of him and i see the play-in as a mini camp anyway unless Pittsburgh really screws the pooch.

Agreed on the play-in ... from there, a "no AHL season" obviously answers the question ... hopefully by Fall there will be more clarity and overall improvement ... but I would consider loaning him to an overseas team if there is no AHL team and it would be best for his long-term development ... I'm always concerned about young players with high-end upside getting bottom six minutes ... eventually worked for Sean Couturier but took seven seasons before SC broke 20 goals or even 40 points ... he was Phil Danault for quite some time ... and much as I like and respect Danault, that is not what one hopes for form a 3rd overall pick.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If there was an AHL it might make sense to play him there... but he is better than guys like weise and hudon who we could be fourth liners in August and its better he plays in august than not play at all.  

Hes one of our 12 best forwards so play him.

Don't disagree ... for the play-in ... but I was looking at 20/21 ...

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't disagree ... for the play-in ... but I was looking at 20/21 ...

With no significant tv deal i think the ahl season in 20/21 is in danger.

Baseball is running MLB but no minors this summer 

Almost all the revenues for minor leagues are based on fans.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if an “injury” to a coach belongs here but I’m sure HW wishes CJ all the best and a speedy recovery.

Looks like we will not get him back for the Flyers series.

Lets hope the boys rally!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Not sure if an “injury” to a coach belongs here but I’m sure HW wishes CJ all the best and a speedy recovery.

Looks like we will not get him back for the Flyers series.

Lets hope the boys rally!

Wishing all the best to coach Julien.

Marc Bergevin's full statement regarding Claude Julien, in essence:

Claude Julien ... experienced chest pain during the night ... he's undergoing tests to determine the exact nature of his condition. This has nothing to do with COVID.  

We don't expect him to be back during this series against the Flyers.  Kirk [Muller] ... (associate head coach) will assume the responsibility of head coach until Claude's return.

12 minutes ago, huzer said:

"We understand that Kirk does not speak French but there are exceptional circumstances and we’re asking you for your understanding. "

Oh geez. Anyway, get well soon, Claude!

Four years playing for the Habs and nine years coaching -- I should hope that he would have picked up at least a smattering of the language by now, in 13 years in the city, enough that he can demonstrate a good-faith effort even if he can't do a full press conference in French.

23 minutes ago, huzer said:

"We understand that Kirk does not speak French but there are exceptional circumstances and we’re asking you for your understanding. "

There is a relatively small cadre of French media who always stir things up about language and Habs HC s and GMs ... think this was intended to avoid them being able to even try to make an issue of it ... there may still be some who question why Dominic Ducharme is filling in, but they will look very bad if they do.

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Four years playing for the Habs and nine years coaching -- I should hope that he would have picked up at least a smattering of the language by now, in 13 years in the city, enough that he can demonstrate a good-faith effort even if he can't do a full press conference in French.

And he is from Kingston, ON. I am sure that he could have picked it up growing up. But why dwell on the past:

Captain Kirk, just beat the zest out of the Flyers 🍋

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, huzer said:

You gotta be friggin kidding me??????  Really????  That’s gotta be something that no balls idiot Molson insisted on.

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You gotta be friggin kidding me??????  Really????  That’s gotta be something that no balls idiot Molson insisted on.

Wth, why blame Molson for having to cater to the Hyenas waiting at the gate every time there is an anglophone behind the bench.

He is doing what he has to quell a potentially irrational media frenzy over the fact Muller won't be speaking french at the press conferences, no idea where you are coming from with your reaction to this, just sounds like you're spilling the haterade all over.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Wth, why blame Molson for having to cater to the Hyenas waiting at the gate every time there is an anglophone behind the bench.

He is doing what he has to quell a potentially irrational media frenzy over the fact Muller won't be speaking french at the press conferences, no idea where you are coming from with your reaction to this, just sounds like you're spilling the haterade all over.

Do you not recall Molson’s statements after the outcry when Cunneyworth was hired?? Instead of at the time supporting his coach and like most presidents/GM’s who would have said that the hiring is interim and we will evaluate at the end of the season, he pretty much castrated Cunneyworth by saying the habs will have a French/bilingual coach.

I find it ridiculous that the habs even have to make a comment on language - and yes I know how idiotic the language zealots in the press are.  But you have a guy taking over in a playoff series and you find you need to apologize for the guy coming into that kind of situation not being bilingual??? Really????  

Angioplasty recovery time is typically about a week, so Julien may be able to re-enter the bubble soon, but the re-entry quarantine requirement will be substantially longer at 14 days.

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Angioplasty recovery time is typically about a week, so Julien may be able to re-enter the bubble soon, but the re-entry quarantine requirement will be substantially longer at 14 days.

My advice is not to expect too much so quickly.

We don’t know why he had the stent as of yet,  but he may very well have had a myocardial infarction. 

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Going into a high stress, high pressure job like NHL coaching is probably not recommended that soon after. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Going into a high stress, high pressure job like NHL coaching is probably not recommended that soon after. 

Quite. The 14+ days is a best-case scenario.

28 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

My advice is not to expect too much so quickly.

We don’t know why he had the stent as of yet,  but he may very well have had a myocardial infarction. 

I suspect not a heart attack (myocardial infarction) given that he was sent home within 12 hours or so. But admittedly this is pure speculation.

Commandant's point is still valid, though, and he may indeed not be able to resume work quickly.

14 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Do you not recall Molson’s statements after the outcry when Cunneyworth was hired?? Instead of at the time supporting his coach and like most presidents/GM’s who would have said that the hiring is interim and we will evaluate at the end of the season, he pretty much castrated Cunneyworth by saying the habs will have a French/bilingual coach.

I find it ridiculous that the habs even have to make a comment on language - and yes I know how idiotic the language zealots in the press are.  But you have a guy taking over in a playoff series and you find you need to apologize for the guy coming into that kind of situation not being bilingual??? Really????  

it is not surprising at all if you have been following the Habs for a while.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

You think he ain't getting stressed watching this at home?

"You sat Weise!?! I will ####ING MURDER you Kirk!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

With two more years on a contract that would undoubtedly be paid out for some sort of consultant's role, at 60 years of age and 18 years as a NHL head coach he may even decide it isn't worth it.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With two more years on a contract that would undoubtedly be paid out for some sort of consultant's role, at 60 years of age and 18 years as a NHL head coach he may even decide it isn't worth it.

If thats the case, Joel Bouchard come on Down!

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If thats the case, Joel Bouchard come on Down!

For some reason I've always (i.e., since he joined the Habs organization) thought Bouchard wants into Hockey Ops more than going behind the bench.

Dominic Ducharme would obviously have a shot ... two mother names that have come up before are Pascal Vincent (11 yrs HC in the QMJHL, 5 years NHL assistant and 4 years as AHL HC) ... AND ... Andre Tourigny (11 yrs HC in the QMJHL, 3yrs NHL assistant and 3 yrs OHL HC)