Injury news

Commandant

Is this "effectively" a retirement announcement?

• 2 weeks later...

Someone may make a thread about it but Edmundson out indefinitely…

(Suzuki out for two weeks)

8 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Someone may make a thread about it but Edmundson out indefinitely…

(Suzuki out for two weeks)

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Can I add it to the tank hard for Bedard thread?

:P:P:P

I am not a tanker but the words “the tank” followed by “is on” may or may not have crossed my mind once I saw the news.

6 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I am not a tanker but the words “the tank” followed by “is on” may or may not have crossed my mind once I saw the news.

Let's see how the 70+ players do drills and practice plays before jumping to conclusions.

I hope the Habs do not start Guhle and Barron as their 2nd pair because they do not want to "trade assets"; they certainly have the talent, but I really want the Habs to take their time in developing them

Go Habs Go!!!

To look at the complete official update:

BROSSARD -- The Canadiens issued several medical updates on Thursday just before the speed and conditioning testing began at the Bell Sports Complex.

Obviously, Anderson and Evans being day-to-day are less noteworthy.

Edmundson is certainly a possible concern ... he would likely be the TOI leader on defence for the Habs this season, almost certainly for the combination of 5-on-5 and PK ... I am fine with losing this season but even with Edmundson the defence corps seemed very capable of doing that.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I hope the Habs do not start Guhle and Barron as their 2nd pair because they do not want to "trade assets"; they certainly have the talent, but I really want the Habs to take their time in developing them ...

I am confident that if Edmundson is out the Habs will pick up a veteran defenceman/body to slot in on the 2nd pairing ... if they play the right-side then Guhle (loonnngggg-shot Norlinder) fills that LD2 slot ... if they play the left-side then Wideman will reach previously unimagined figures in TOI (his previous high was last season at 14:53) ... but since I expect they were already exploring an AAV-for-AAV-ish trade for a 4/5 defenceman, and would be otherwise be ready to pounce on the waiver wire, if Edmundson will be out for any extended time in the regular season that may become two veteran additions.

EDIT: It may also open the door for Corey Schueneman to get some regular ice-time.

I can’t see the Habs trading for an Edmundson replacement unless his season is over. 

“indefinitely” can mean a lot of things. 

I bet first choice is to fill it via waivers. 

It’s also possible that a team hits a major injury and that opens the door for a deal that includes a Dman. 

• Like 1

Missed this originally ... Joel Edmundson has a lower-body injury and there's no timetable for his return ... given that last season his issue as I recall was his back, which is generally described as an upper-body injury, is this good news (i.e., not a recurrence), or bad news (a NEW significant health problem)?

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Missed this originally ... Joel Edmundson has a lower-body injury and there's no timetable for his return ... given that last season his issue as I recall was his back, which is generally described as an upper-body injury, is this good news (i.e., not a recurrence), or bad news (a NEW significant health problem)?

Hard to say at this point. No need to panic, play the kids more or pick up a veteran via waiver.  His veteran presence will definitely be missed though. As you mentioned before, Schueneman will likely get a lot more ice time. 

22 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Hard to say at this point. No need to panic, play the kids more or pick up a veteran via waiver.  His veteran presence will definitely be missed though. As you mentioned before, Schueneman will likely get a lot more ice time. 

It's not just the on-ice  impact ... be it this year or next ... healthy, he could have Chiarot-like value, or better, at the trade deadline.

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It's not just the on-ice  impact ... be it this year or next ... healthy, he could have Chiarot-like value, or better, at the trade deadline.

Absolutely, hopefully it's not a serious injury for a lot of reasons. 

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Seems like Gorton confirmed Edmundson's injury is his back. He is out indefinitely

... Jeff Gorton, in an interview with TSN Radio, in which he said Suzuki and Edmundson had collided during an informal skate roughly a week ago, leaving Edmundson with a back injury.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-notebook-gallagher-healthy-but-other-injuries-emerge/

Tough luck.

Seems will have to pick up some experienced d-man for sure now.

Will it be an old vet on last legs or some cheap waiver pick-up?

4 hours ago, DON said:

Seems will have to pick up some experienced d-man for sure now.

Will it be an old vet on last legs or some cheap waiver pick-up?

I find it unlikely that they would trade for an Edmundson replacement at this point, unless he is done for the season somehow (and from the incident description that shouldn't be likely).

My money is either on a waiver pickup or another younger defenceman (if Hugo can find one that's available at a reasonable price), at this point in the rebuild picking up a struggling grizzled vet really doesn't make sense.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I find it unlikely that they would trade for an Edmundson replacement at this point, unless he is done for the season somehow (and from the incident description that shouldn't be likely).

My money is either on a waiver pickup or another younger defenceman (if Hugo can find one that's available at a reasonable price), at this point in the rebuild picking up a struggling grizzled vet really doesn't make sense.

Yeah. No point picking up a dman and giving up any significant asset. I do want to make sure we do get some help through the waiver wire to insulate the kids. Under MB, this would mean throwing kids in no matter how bad they were drowning. We need to be patient with the development of Guhle, Harris, Barron, or any other kids who may excite for a few games. Long term, it means we can go from a 20-24 finish to 24-29.

22 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Arpon Basu and Marc Godin on their podcast said the Habs have been looking at other teams potential waiver exposures and are planning on grabbing at least one dman.  They are making a list of guys they like who could be waived.