Injury news

Commandant

You can make the case that Markov is our Lidstrom. Not that he's as great as Lidstrom, just that his impact on our team is comparable to Lidstrom's on his. And it is just an astonishingly enormous piece of bad luck for us that our Lidstrom has suffered cataclysmic injuries three years running;

Unbelievable!! My jaw literally dropped as I just read this. I wrote the exact same thing, almost word for word a few weeks ago on this site,but erased it before I posted. I forget what topic but I remember I erased it because I figured that somebody was going to chime in and argue with me about that point, while taking away from the original point of my post.

I am always sure to remind people about the absence of Markov, our best player, and the impact he has when he is in the lineup. Everything we have done since his rash of injuries has just been a stop gap until he is back. He was/is a top 10 defenseman in the league. There is no question that he would directly be responsible for a better powerplay and better results, standings-wise had he been in the lineup this year.

Unbelievable!! My jaw literally dropped as I just read this. I wrote the exact same thing, almost word for word a few weeks ago on this site,but erased it before I posted. I forget what topic but I remember I erased it because I figured that somebody was going to chime in and argue with me about that point, while taking away from the original point of my post.

I am always sure to remind people about the absence of Markov, our best player, and the impact he has when he is in the lineup. Everything we have done since his rash of injuries has just been a stop gap until he is back. He was/is a top 10 defenseman in the league. There is no question that he would directly be responsible for a better powerplay and better results, standings-wise had he been in the lineup this year.

It's beating a dead horse though.Plans should have been made towards the end of last season,this off season to invest $6,7+M/yr on a stud Dman either through trade or UFA.I'd also put him in the top 20,not top 10 because of mediocre playoff performances,and he's never had a Norris nomination.

It's beating a dead horse though.Plans should have been made towards the end of last season,this off season to invest $6,7+M/yr on a stud Dman either through trade or UFA.I'd also put him in the top 20,not top 10 because of mediocre playoff performances,and he's never had a Norris nomination.

The problem with acquiring one through trade is that to get a quality #1 D, you have to give up plenty of assets. The problem with acquiring one through UFA is that there wasn't really any available, and it's not guaranteed they would sign here anyway. The Wiz was an option but he was only brought over to fill in for the hole that Markov created by getting hurt. Nobody knew that Markov would STILL not be playing over a year later. PG merely made a choice at the time with the information that he had. Personally, I would have been PISSED if he didn't resign Markov, and still would be. You don't just walk away from your best player who has been with your team for 13 years, getting nothing in return IMO.

Calling Commandant - one of the core posters on this site and a very thoughtful one to boot - a 'prick' is totally out of line. Get a life, brother.

Out of line, and suspendable behaviour. Just a headsup for all. Let's keep things friendly, everyone!

For the record, I'm not offended by it so I'd ask that he's not punished in this instance; but I agree that we should try to avoid name calling of any members going forward.

Attack the opinion not the poster, and if I personally have broken that at any time I apologize to whoever that may be.

The problem with acquiring one through trade is that to get a quality #1 D, you have to give up plenty of assets. The problem with acquiring one through UFA is that there wasn't really any available, and it's not guaranteed they would sign here anyway. The Wiz was an option but he was only brought over to fill in for the hole that Markov created by getting hurt. Nobody knew that Markov would STILL not be playing over a year later. PG merely made a choice at the time with the information that he had. Personally, I would have been PISSED if he didn't resign Markov, and still would be. You don't just walk away from your best player who has been with your team for 13 years, getting nothing in return IMO.

Well we got nothing for Saku,Souray,Komi and Kovy and they weren't coming off multiple knee surgeries.Now what happens next year? Do we lose another $5.75m in cap space hoping for him to return,and for him to be what he was. It will be basically be 2 full years w/o playing hockey.The defense will be even worse next year,b/c Gill won't be here.At the very least our PK will be worse. I don't like to hold this team hostage for 1 player. We've done that with Price already.It doesn't work,and the rest of the players know it also.

Well we got nothing for Saku,Souray,Komi and Kovy and they weren't coming off multiple knee surgeries.Now what happens next year? Do we lose another $5.75m in cap space hoping for him to return,and for him to be what he was. It will be basically be 2 full years w/o playing hockey.The defense will be even worse next year,b/c Gill won't be here.At the very least our PK will be worse. I don't like to hold this team hostage for 1 player. We've done that with Price already.It doesn't work,and the rest of the players know it also.

LTIR - you don't lose cap space.

I explained this to you before, and you keep bringing it up that we are losing cap space on Markov if he doesn't play?

Why?

LTIR - you don't lose cap space.

I explained this to you before, and you keep bringing it up that we are losing cap space on Markov if he doesn't play?

Why?

Because right now it doesn't matter. I'm talking the off season/beginning of next year. We can't go sign a $6-7m dman if we're unsure about Markov's availabilty. It can't seem anymore simple then that. Only after he misses X amount of games does that LTIR open up,and by then our season could be sunk.like this year.How can you spend $6-7m on a dman and Markov pronounces himself ready to play.then your over the cap.It's a team game,you can't hold the team and season hostage for a false loyalty to an individual.

Marc Savard's availabilty hasn't hurt the bruins.

And you don't have to wait 21 days to use markov's ltir money if he can't start the season.

Of course if you listened the last time you'd know this.

But you are so focused on just ripping everything management does, you take the time to analyze what is really happening.

Marc Savard's availabilty hasn't hurt the bruins.

And you don't have to wait 21 days to use markov's ltir money if he can't start the season.

Of course if you listened the last time you'd know this.

But you are so focused on just ripping everything management does, you take the time to analyze what is really happening.

You don't understand. How can you sign a big $$ dmen in the off season if your not sure of Markov status.

You don't understand. How can you sign a big $$ dmen in the off season if your not sure of Markov status.

I'm of the opinion that if Markov isn't ready to play by the end of this season, you just forget about him ever being healthy.

But even then there is no guarantee you can even sign a big money dman.

Do you really think that Ryan Suter is going to sign in Montreal... over say Detroit who has the cap space to sign him? or Philly who might be doing the same thing with Pronger we are doing with Markov? or the 28 other options in the NHL?

Thats the thing... you can dream about the prime UFA all you want, but when there is only 1 dman of that caliber, you can't guarantee signing him. Just like Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, LA, and others made offers to Brad Richards last year and he was never signing anywhere but the Rangers.

There are 30 teams in the NHL who would love to sign Suter.

You can be over the cap by 10% or something, so until oct or whatever you can be over the cap. I'd be willing foot wait until training camp for Markov. You can offer Suter a 15 year deal at the max salary and I doubt if he still would pick Montreal. Another reason it is stupid to trade Subban unless the return was Malkin, stamkos or toews- and that ain't happening.

I'm of the opinion that if Markov isn't ready to play by the end of this season, you just forget about him ever being healthy.

But even then there is no guarantee you can even sign a big money dman.

Do you really think that Ryan Suter is going to sign in Montreal... over say Detroit who has the cap space to sign him? or Philly who might be doing the same thing with Pronger we are doing with Markov? or the 28 other options in the NHL?

Thats the thing... you can dream about the prime UFA all you want, but when there is only 1 dman of that caliber, you can't guarantee signing him. Just like Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, LA, and others made offers to Brad Richards last year and he was never signing anywhere but the Rangers.

There are 30 teams in the NHL who would love to sign Suter.

• Upvote 1

I wish the Habs would do cap circumvention ala the Nucks and Rangers and Wings it’s such a smart decision to take advantage of the CBA

As for Markov he will begin to skate this week I believe.

Incidentally, I AM a prick so I don't mind being so labeled for clarity's sake.

I was just reading the Markov story, and there we have the story of our season. I think Gauthier made the moves he had to to try to get by , but the best medical advice he received, which had to inform his decision, told him Markov would be good to go.

Who can feel worse than Markov and the Goat.

Ok...besides us..

Incidentally, I AM a prick so I don't mind being so labeled for clarity's sake.

I was just reading the Markov story, and there we have the story of our season. I think Gauthier made the moves he had to to try to get by , but the best medical advice he received, which had to inform his decision, told him Markov would be good to go.

Who can feel worse than Markov and the Goat.

Ok...besides us..

People talk about him not doing his due diligence and all that... on Markov and Betts. With Markov I really believe its as TorontHab says that the medical opinions he was given made him believe that Markov would be ready sooner rather then later. Also on Betts, Betts had been playing with an injury and Philadelphia was breaking the rules even trying to put him on waivers. I think its the situations that have made Gauthier look bad, no fault on him.

There are reports out there that Crosby injury seems to be stemming from vertabrae problem in neck. I listened the other night when a MD took appart the ability associated with chiropractor. You got to wonder how all these MD's missed the neck problem? You also got to wonder how long all this concussion stuff would have gone on if they had diagnosed the neck problem. Just saying.

People talk about him not doing his due diligence and all that... on Markov and Betts. With Markov I really believe its as TorontHab says that the medical opinions he was given made him believe that Markov would be ready sooner rather then later. Also on Betts, Betts had been playing with an injury and Philadelphia was breaking the rules even trying to put him on waivers. I think its the situations that have made Gauthier look bad, no fault on him.

I accept all that, but he still should be fired.

First, Commandant is a prick.. a thoughtful one with solid hockey knowledge, so the best kind of prick to have kicking around here. :)

I am really wondering about Markov. All star game over, still nothing on the Markov front. The season is over, so there is no point rushing him back, but I am a bit worried he is done, or mostly done. Worse case scenario, he comes back but sucks for the rest of his career, untradeable.

As for PG, I want him gone. I don't trust him with this team, but it has nothing to do with Markov.

First, Commandant is a prick.. a thoughtful one with solid hockey knowledge, so the best kind of prick to have kicking around here. :)

I am really wondering about Markov. All star game over, still nothing on the Markov front. The season is over, so there is no point rushing him back, but I am a bit worried he is done, or mostly done. Worse case scenario, he comes back but sucks for the rest of his career, untradeable.

As for PG, I want him gone. I don't trust him with this team, but it has nothing to do with Markov.

I have a hard time believing that Markov would accept becoming a total mediocrity. Perhaps that's naive, but I see him retiring before he accepts that.

Yeah.. 15 minutes on the ice is at least a month away from playing. He has been out for a long time, so the comeback won't be fast. I do hope he can play a bit this year just to prove one way or the other if the knee is fixed or not.

Yeah.. 15 minutes on the ice is at least a month away from playing. He has been out for a long time, so the comeback won't be fast. I do hope he can play a bit this year just to prove one way or the other if the knee is fixed or not.

So he's been paid appx. $19 m over the last 3 yrs. to play 45 games.Would have been a different team if we had a real and playing franchise Dman,which is what that gets you.