Injury news

Commandant

The more I look at this signing, the more it looks bad.

My feeling on this signing hasn't changed and still like it, as we have already seen in pre-season you simply cant have "too-many" d-men over 82 games + 2nd season (team averaged around 10 d-men last year, in 1/2 season).

Not sure why anyone really has an issue with signing, if Murray nevers plays 1 game for Habs, not a big deal is it?

And in the 1 game he did play he didn't leave anyone standing in Price's crease, which is play that has been missing from a very soft d-core for years.

• Upvote 1

The more I look at this signing, the more it looks bad.

It looks bad, because the guy got injured? As though MB should have psychically predicted this? What kind of logic is that?

Is there evidence that he showed up out of shape? That's disappointing, if true.

They mentioned on L'Antichambre that he hadn't done much skating prior to being signed. Not much of a source, I know, so it should be taken with a mound of salt. The camp injuries would back this up, however.

L'Antichambre?

So, you mean, if he was French, he would have been in the best shape of his life and it would have been a freak injury?

It would be a great tragedy that this gars de bonne caractere suffered cruelly at the hands of fate when he had worked so hard and been such a good leader and saved all those sick orphans and puppies.

• Upvote 2

No word but I would think he will be out 3+ months at the very least.

Along with the confirmed concussion must be a broken jaw.

Also he's no spring chicken, I wouldn't be surprised if he hung them up for good.

No word but I would think he will be out 3+ months at the very least.

Along with the confirmed concussion must be a broken jaw.

Also he's no spring chicken, I wouldn't be surprised if he hung them up for good.

Overreaction much, JMMR? ;)

@LavoieRenaud

No bone fracture for George Parros. He had a PT scan and first indications are negatives. As of right now it's just a concussion.

Overreaction much, JMMR? ;)

@LavoieRenaud

No bone fracture for George Parros. He had a PT scan and first indications are negatives. As of right now it's just a concussion.

Yep. No fracture. He was allowed to leave hospital this morning. Just a good ol' concussion. :(

Guest Stogey24

Overreaction much, JMMR? ;

@LavoieRenaud

Man did he ever hit hard. If he can sneak away from that incident with a concussion, he's a very lucky man.

How about Pacioretty's wrist? I'm glad we don't play again till Saturday...

I was pretty 'meh' about the Parros signing until last night. You can argue about the usefulness of fighting in games, but it was refreshing to watch 3 different Habs beat the crap out of the Leafs (would have been 2 for George if he didn't fit his head). Apart from the fighting, he didn't look completely out of place playing the game either. He made a few smart plays in the offensive zone, something we never saw with Laraque. I hope he's not out too long, because Moen - Prust - Parros is a line I would be excited to see again.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

That's amazing he must have a jaw made of stone.

He was just released from hospital.

MoLG I'll still stick with my guess on how long he is out for.

There is no way Parros is out 3 months with a concussion

How about Pacioretty's wrist? I'm glad we don't play again till Saturday...

I was pretty 'meh' about the Parros signing until last night. You can argue about the usefulness of fighting in games, but it was refreshing to watch 3 different Habs beat the crap out of the Leafs (would have been 2 for George if he didn't fit his head). Apart from the fighting, he didn't look completely out of place playing the game either. He made a few smart plays in the offensive zone, something we never saw with Laraque. I hope he's not out too long, because Moen - Prust - Parros is a line I would be excited to see again.

I agree, Max just didn't look the same when he came back to game.

Super to hear Parros has a granite chin and not hurt bad.

And yes 4th line looked good, but got to say White should help in faceoff circle, unless Bournival gets the nod on Saturday (which he likely deserves after pre-season showing he had).

If it's any consolation, Pacioretty and Eller have shown that having your skull caved in basically means you'll come back as a top 6 forward.

Tell that to Blake Geoffrion...

That's encouraging news about Parros, but only time will tell how his post-concussion symptoms manifest. It's so hard to predict.

I wish him a speedy recovery. It was so nice to see the Habs come out on top for fights for once! I have a feeling Tinordi is going to get more than his fair share of opportunities this season as he starts to carve out his niche.

Who fills in for Parros?

White or Bournival? Flip a coin?

I say Bournival. White fits Parros' profile better, but I think Moen and Prust should be able to move enough bodies out of the way for Bournival to get some decent shots off. let's see the kid play in some games that count.

I hate to say this but George Parros may be finished in the NHL. It depends on how serious the concussion is. As we know you never really fully recover from a concussion and the next time is always worse. George fights for a living, if he keeps getting hit in the head he is putting his life and well being in danger. Many players do not come back after a concussion. Nick Kypreos is a prime example. Eric Lindros should have quit 4 or 5 concussions before he did. At the end if you skated near him he had a concussion (an exaggeration I know). If George was a highly skilled individual like Eller, he might have a shot, but to be the player he is, he can't avoid contact. Therfore he may have to hang em up. Just bad luck but it is just a game and there are other ways to earn a living, he is one of the most intelligent guys in the NHL and I am sure he will do what is the right thing for him.

I hate to say this but George Parros may be finished in the NHL. It depends on how serious the concussion is. As we know you never really fully recover from a concussion and the next time is always worse. George fights for a living, if he keeps getting hit in the head he is putting his life and well being in danger. Many players do not come back after a concussion. Nick Kypreos is a prime example. Eric Lindros should have quit 4 or 5 concussions before he did. At the end if you skated near him he had a concussion (an exaggeration I know). If George was a highly skilled individual like Eller, he might have a shot, but to be the player he is, he can't avoid contact. Therfore he may have to hang em up. Just bad luck but it is just a game and there are other ways to earn a living, he is one of the most intelligent guys in the NHL and I am sure he will do what is the right thing for him.

I think a bit pessimistic take on a freak accident, preventable only by maybe wearing full cage like lacrosse.

The hit from behind and follow up crosscheck to neck on Schiefele was more disturbing.

I am all for instant ejection for fighting, is a childish act anyways and one reason why every other team sport has banned it, but aint gonna happen in NHL till a fatality occurs directly from a fight, which is just too bad as the game is just as entertaining without it.

Yeah, I have similar worries. He's in his mid-thirties and his main role is to dish out and take punches to the head. Will it be worth it for him to get into another fight?

I've already suggested on Twitter to ban fighting between forwards and/or defencemen but replace the shootout with a goalie fight.

Hahaha, then we could have special goon goalies that get subbed in for the last minute of OT. Maybe Missiaen (sp?) has a spot in the NHL after all.

Although Price seems to be able to hold his own.

I share the worries about Parros and am a bit surprised about the cavalier attitude toward concussions some posters seem to be expressing in this thread. Guys like Chris Pronger, Keith Primeau and Gino Odjick have lost years out of their lives, reduced to shadows of themselves - not in terms of hockey, but simply as men, their quality of life seriously compromised - due to concussions. My understanding of the medical facts is limited, but I gather that the implications for Parros's long-term well-being (including whether he can play again) hinge on the severity of this particular concussion and how many previous concussions he's had. I don't know the answer to either question. But I for one am uneasy with the whole scenario of a guy suffering a massive concussion and then coming back for the expressed purpose of receiving further blows to the head.

The freak injury to Parros drives me crazy because, dammit, we were beating the Leafs in the 'trucluence' department. Whether we won or lost on the scoreboard, we were winning the fights, and a very important statement was being sent that we aren't going to be pushed around any more - and if you try to push us around, we are now big and strong enough to kick your ass. But thanks to that one-in-a-thousand fluke event, the underlying 'take away' from this game is that when the Habs play tough they get carried off on a stretcher. The exact opposite of the desired message. Notice that nobody in the media is talking about how mean and tough we were, even though we pounded the Leafs in the fights.

Furthermore, the robustness we displayed last night was, I believe, heavily influenced by the presence of Parros. Having a bona-fide heavyweight set the tone and inspired guys like Moen, Prust, and Tinordi to do the damage they did. With him out, we're right back to where we were last year: game, but with no answer to the Colton Orrs of the world. And they know it.

And why? All because of yet another appalling, catastrophic injury of the sort that other teams never seem to suffer against us. It sucks.

• Upvote 1