Varlamov

bbp

There's still a long ways to go before I'm ready to call that a good move for the Avs. (I get why they did it but that was too steep for my liking.)

Of course, a lot of season to go. I 100% that they gave to much for him.

Varly has always been able to post good numbers, but it is his health that has been the big question mark.

And I concur that the Avs overpaid for him.

I didn't know this, his last year in Russia was with Lokomotiv Yaroslav.

They interviewed a bunch of Russians on the incident but I never saw one with him..

Remember O'byrne started out with a bang too after the trade............then fizzled

What? No he didn't. He was great all year.

I don't think we overpaid either. I see it as we drafted a goalie who can play now instead of waiting (and theres no big time goalies in the 2012 crop). If Varly was older then sure but he's 23 and can grow with the rest of the team. The Avs improved their defensive structure as well, which will help Varly. Lefebvre has done a good job coaching the D and all of the new personnel brought in has played exceptionally well, especially Shane O'Brien. It's been a treat to not see Hunwick or Cumiskey out there turning the puck over all the time. Our PK too has been excellent, the best I've seen since Roy was in net.

The biggest problem has been an inept offense so far this season. If they can keep the kind of flow they had in the third against Columbus and against Ottawa, playoffs are a real possibilty. At which point, 15th, 16th OA and the Bruins 2nd for Varly is nothing.