Leafs vs Habs, Oct. 22, 7 PM

dlbalr

I believe we are now last in the conference as Winnipeg and Ottawa both won tonight.

Well, this is a first... feels actually... kinda good. Maybe it'll be a wake up call.

I feel bad that they have to respond to the media now though...

Sigh... well, any positives?

Well, since I started this thinking positively, I may as well continue with some positives here:

- Eller looked terrific out there while playing his natural role at C

- All 4 centres were +50% on the draw

- Moen (who now has the credit for what was originally Gorges' goal) had a very strong game

- There was worse officiating than what we saw in this one...watch the MLB highlights tomorrow to see what I mean.

Also, unrelated to this game but I think we may see a coach get the axe tomorrow as Columbus blew a lead with less than a minute left in regulation, coughing up 2 to Ottawa in the last 36 seconds.

• Upvote 1

True. Eller did have a great game! He's the best player in the last two games I think.

I'm listening to team990 and they are on the coaching staff about how Cole was on the bench during a 5-3 while Darche was on the ice and how that is just unbelievably stupid. I wholeheartedly agree with that. And here they go again on Darche.

It'll be interesting to see where the Habs will be after 10 games.

OMG! I don't like Martin anymore. He just got asked the reason behind having Darche on the PP and Cole on the bench, and he laughed! Said he looked at Cole's PP stats last year, and then made up his mind.

Ugh, I don't like Martin AT ALL anymore.

And even JM is talking about the D being inexperienced. I've been watching each game so far, and the new D are fine, they've looked better that Georges and Gill! And last I check weber was +4.

JM has to go.

you guys are so unrealistic with coaching jobs. Bob Hartley would be a great fit as the head coach with Muller and Roy..I've never liked Pearn as an Ass. Coach and Randy Ladoucer/Cunneyworth?..well....the names speak for themselves...call them Oscar as a combo. Habs need to wipe out a lot..it's simple as that. People on this forum were overly optimistic this summer because it's a crime to be pessimistic and disagreeing on here these days, hence why I don't post as frequently. Lets face it..changes need to happen in order to be successful. Our lazy and uncaring, and lack of work ethic preseason is correlating into the beginning of the 2011-2012 regular season. With that being said, the Canadiens get what they deserve for this start. why sugarcoat something so bitter?

• Upvote 1

The few positives:

• Eller played like a genuine #2 centre the entire night. Give him some time to build some chemistry (yeh, I know) and he'll be racking up the points
  • Cole played his best game as a Hab. Sadly that's not saying much at this point.
  • You couldn't really ask for more from Moen.
  • I thought Emelin played a solid game, and he seems to be transitioning well to the NHL game.

Kudos to Cammy for playing through the pain; it looked like he could barely skate by the end of the game. Triple-layered stitches? Yikes!

As we know reside in the Eastern cellar, it seems like something must be done. I'm don't think that firing JM is the answer, but what other options are available?

Cole has not learned JM's system defensively at this point. His defensive zone coverage is brutal. Just look at the OT goal.

He was very good in the offensive zone tonight though.... but he's gonna need better D to get JM's ice time.

For all the complaints of Darche vs Cole... I get not wanting Darche on the PP, but Cole is not the answer.

Playing that front of the net role on the first unit should be Andrei Kostitsyn, a proven PP performer.... not Darche or Cole.

Cole has not learned JM's system defensively at this point. His defensive zone coverage is brutal. Just look at the OT goal.

He was very good in the offensive zone tonight though.... but he's gonna need better D to get JM's ice time.

True, Cole sucks defensively. HOWEVER, what did we get him for? Defensive zone coverage? I know he has to buy into the system and all, but not playing him is taking the potential of 25+ goals from the lineup. There are a lot of players in the NHL who have no clue about their own zone and are still allowed to play. He also has four other line mates, so he doesn't have to be brilliant. Just win along the boards. And one other small point, Cammalleri is not exactly a Selke player in his own zone. He's given 20+ minutes. In my opinion, this is a large coaching error. You want goals, you need possession and big players who can win the puck in the offensive zone... and then score.

Furthermore, looking at stats (the single worst way of judging ANYTHING in hockey) to decide not to play him on the PP is simply an embarrassing decision. Martin is TOO married to his system at the moment, and isn't willing to think outside his blinder box. And (and I harp), now that Muller is gone, there is NO passion out there. For sure, the team will play good games, because all teams do or, as my brother-in-law says, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Martin has served his purpose for this club and it's time to move forward. It shouldn't be that shocking since many coaches have a three-year shelf life. He's slightly under, but I'm not comfortable that he can regain this group.

Playing that front of the net role on the first unit should be Andrei Kostitsyn, a proven PP performer.... not Darche or Cole.

I see where you're going with this, but isn't playing in front of the net the role of the power forward?

• Upvote 1

not sure i picked up on that OT goal being cole's fault.. i thought with gionta covering the only point (phaneuf) and gill following lilles... it was diaz's job to come across andcut off grabo from coming out front when grabo got the puck but he seemed to be zoning out the winger on the other side which should of been cole's man.

that zoning by diaz put cole in no mans land from the left point and forced him down all the way to grabo who came in with his backside first... all cole could do was cross check him which he did! kudos to grabo for the excellent play down low

"i think thats how it should of been defended"

my question is why did jacques martin put gionta out there with cole in OT??? 2 wingers??

neither are a centermen and they haven't played a single game together on a line over 7 games nor partnered up in the so called groups split up during pre season

1)plex -camm

2) eller- kosty

3) DD- cole

4)plex- gionta

5)eller- kosty

should of been the OT lines over 5 minutes

shootout

camm--gionta-- cole

instead he comes out with plex--camm and follows up with gio and cole?? instead of eller/kosty (who played great)

not pointing fingers but these are big time mistakes

11 minutes is not even close to enough for cole (4minutes served in penalties= 2 shifts 2 minutes)... pacioretty 14min

also... the Powerplay and PK ruin us again!

its like turnovers in football.... u loose that battle 9 times out of 10 u lose the game

FLA, PHilly, BOS,BOS coming up this week

I feel bad for Cole...you don't sign a guy for 4.5 mil a year to backcheck, we have Moen, Darche, White etc for that role. Who does Martin want Cole to be, Tom Pyatt? I'm struggling at this point to understand why we signed Cole to big bucks to play eleven minutes. If we wanted a strong defensive forward with offensive upside we could have had Raffi Torres and 3.5 mil to play with. JM is pre-lockout, stand around, clutch and grab hockey. We're going to be in a tough situation, two games against B's and one against the Flyers. We could be looking at three blowouts five days from now.

I feel bad for Cole...you don't sign a guy for 4.5 mil a year to backcheck, we have Moen, Darche, White etc for that role. Who does Martin want Cole to be, Tom Pyatt? I'm struggling at this point to understand why we signed Cole to big bucks to play eleven minutes. If we wanted a strong defensive forward with offensive upside we could have had Raffi Torres and 3.5 mil to play with. JM is pre-lockout, stand around, clutch and grab hockey. We're going to be in a tough situation, two games against B's and one against the Flyers. We could be looking at three blowouts five days from now.

Martin said: "Look at Cole's production last year" Yeah well, he still has more PPG than Darche.

As you said, it makes no sense to sign a player big bucks just to play him on the 4th line. The only logical explanation I see is that they give him time to learn the complicated system the Habs play. But, by the results so far this season, that wonderful system doesnt work.

• Upvote 1

True, Cole sucks defensively. HOWEVER, what did we get him for? Defensive zone coverage? I know he has to buy into the system and all, but not playing him is taking the potential of 25+ goals from the lineup. There are a lot of players in the NHL who have no clue about their own zone and are still allowed to play. He also has four other line mates, so he doesn't have to be brilliant. Just win along the boards. And one other small point, Cammalleri is not exactly a Selke player in his own zone. He's given 20+ minutes. In my opinion, this is a large coaching error. You want goals, you need possession and big players who can win the puck in the offensive zone... and then score.

Furthermore, looking at stats (the single worst way of judging ANYTHING in hockey) to decide not to play him on the PP is simply an embarrassing decision. Martin is TOO married to his system at the moment, and isn't willing to think outside his blinder box. And (and I harp), now that Muller is gone, there is NO passion out there. For sure, the team will play good games, because all teams do or, as my brother-in-law says, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Martin has served his purpose for this club and it's time to move forward. It shouldn't be that shocking since many coaches have a three-year shelf life. He's slightly under, but I'm not comfortable that he can regain this group.

I see where you're going with this, but isn't playing in front of the net the role of the power forward?

If Cole suck at defense and can't play on the PP and play his 5-5 shift on the 4th line, that doesn't give him many occasions to contribute. I see him as a better Moen. Thinking about that, would be interesting to see them play on the same line with Eller.

Martin said: "Look at Cole's production last year" Yeah well, he still has more PPG than Darche.

As you said, it makes no sense to sign a player big bucks just to play him on the 4th line. The only logical explanation I see is that they give him time to learn the complicated system the Habs play. But, by the results so far this season, that wonderful system doesnt work.

cole was on a line with DD and pacioretty... he picked up a shift on the fourth line after serving the to many men.. but was still on the line with DD

DD- 15:42 21 shifts (a few on the PK)

pacioretty -13:55 19 shifts

cole-11:08 18 shifts (served both too many men)

I hear a lot of bitching about Jacques Martin and Mathieu Darche, but how come no one complains about Josh Gorges and David Desharnais.

Those two are brutal tonight.

I like them most of the time, but they are having a bad game.

But Habs fans only bitch about the whipping boys and don't say a word if the sacred cows are having a bad one.

Note: This is more directed at twitter than here, where the opinion is generally better informed.

Gorges has been awful the last few games. DD has not been very good, Cole was a bit better tonight, but bottom line is the coaching on this team sucks. DD was playing very well and has his line broken up. We have a coach who lets no chemistry develop between players, wasted the preseason to try and get some chemistry and then thoughout the game keeps mixing up the lines.

On top of that look at the ice time players get on the PP and it shows what an idiot the penguin in.

What's wrong with the following picture for PP time:

Darche - 3.12 min PP time

MaxPac - 2.20 PP time

AK46 - 2.16 PP time

Eller - 0.12 PP time

DD - 2min PP time

Post game the reporters are asking about Cole, but in what kind of idiot coach would have Darche get more PP time then MaxPac, AK46, Eller and DD????

Is it just my faulty memory or does anyone else remember this:

When Martin first started he rolled four lines, to the extreme. There were times when he needed to shorten his bench, yet he kept putting out his 4th liners late in games.

If that's the case, then what the fa-hey! He's doing the exact opposite, riding two lines (running Plex into the ground in the first 10 games of the season, I might add), leaving the fourth line on the bench for extended periods and benching guys like Cole because he hasn't "bought in" yet. But doesn't it take time to learn a system? Not going to learn it sitting on the bench.

Has Martin lost his way? Lost his own system? It would make sense considering the significant disorganization out there.

I agree that Darche shouldn't be on the PP ahead of those guys, I just don't think Cole is the answer.

The PP units, should be IMO.

Kostitsyn - Pleks - Cammy

Subban - Weber

Kosty has always been good on the PP in the role of digging pucks out of corners and standing in front of the net. This has been his role on the Habs PP as far back as 2007-08 playing with Kovalev and Pleks.

Second unit.

Pacioretty - DD/Eller - Gionta

Diaz - Emelin

Go with whichever centre is doing better that night and the last two nights, its been Eller by far.

Darche is not a PP answer, but neither is cole IMO.

If you insist on using Pleks on the point, put Gio on the first unit, and both centres on the second.