Leafs vs Habs, Oct. 22, 7 PM

dlbalr

I don't care if a player 'likes' a coach. I care about how he performs under that coach. Bouwmeester had his best years under Martin. Fact. So did Redden. fact. Martin developed Alfreddson, Havlat, Hossa, Philips, and a bunch of others. Fact.

O'Byrne - oh please. :rolleyes:

Again, I agree that JM may have to go. The difference is that I make the case based on results, not some a priori antipathy for the guy because he's boring and looks like The Penguin.

Hey, what the heck, you were the one who argued against my implication Martin not being the best one for the job, but even i am not calling for him to be sacked yet.

Not crazy about the start to season, but i have really enjoyed most of games with the exception of 2 of them.

If Gomez, Spacek stay gone for long enough and the older more experianced d-men stop playing like bums all will be fine in time.

I think the special teams sucked at start of last year as well didnt they and ended up just fine.

Eller, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Weber, Diaz and Yemelin all look good and very promising for the future dont you think? Too bad Engqvist never got much ice time and Palushaj was wasted on the 4th line, but both will be back.

I pigeonholed Moan as 4th liner at best, but he is proving me wrong, hope he keeps it up and makes me eat my words.

Just need Gionta, Plekanec, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Cole to wake up a bit and save Martin's job. But i would not even consider canning Jacques till at least the 20 game mark.

Also, You have to admit OByrne is the kind of d-man the Habs miss the most and is doing well, but Bournival looks like a very nice prospect and should fit in nicely down the road.

Do you know why LeBlanc is not playing yet in AHL yet? i thought he was close to recovery in September. Maybe he will end up with Shawinnigan this season, which may be a good thing for his development?

Well, DON, what *is* the point at which something dramatic needs to happen? I don't think it's a question of a given number of games, but rather how far we slip out of 8th place. I've suggested 6 points out of a playoff spot might be the threshold, because I think past that point both clawing our way back in *and* maintaining our position thereafter becomes unlikely. We're in danger of being like Calgary or Jersey last season - teams unable to recover from bad starts despite strong second halfs - and we need to be proactive to avoid that. Notice, though, that I still haven't said Martin has to go yet, only that we're coming to that point where either a significant player move needs to happen, or JM needs to get canned.

As for OB: what the Habs miss is a dude who can run the PP. O'Byrne ain't it.

Another lousy performance by our boys. Why is it that we can never show up whenever we play the leafs? Some will say that we did lose in OT, bnut the fact is we had the lead 3 times in this game, and because of JM's passive-aggressive style, we sit back on these leads and "defend" the entire time instead of going for the jugular and finishing off our opponents when we have the lead.

I understand that without Markov and Spacek, we don't have our full line-up, but things aren'T looking very good For Jacques Martin.

I heard a stat on the radio (Team 990) the other day that said that after the first 10 games, a team that is not in the top 8 of its conference, has a 97% chance of missing the playoffs. Things are NOT looking good!

Another lousy performance by our boys. Why is it that we can never show up whenever we play the leafs? Some will say that we did lose in OT, bnut the fact is we had the lead 3 times in this game, and because of JM's passive-aggressive style, we sit back on these leads and "defend" the entire time instead of going for the jugular and finishing off our opponents when we have the lead.

I understand that without Markov and Spacek, we don't have our full line-up, but things aren'T looking very good For Jacques Martin.

I heard a stat on the radio (Team 990) the other day that said that after the first 10 games, a team that is not in the top 8 of its conference, has a 97% chance of missing the playoffs. Things are NOT looking good!

I question that stat.

Last years standings after ~10 games. Final standings for playoff teams added in bold.

ThVIn.png

• Upvote 1

I am not at all smart enough to know whether talking about Martin at this time is a warranted or unwarranted response. No clue. Honestly. We struggle: we should be struggling with our manpower losses. We lack confidence and cohesion. How could we not? Tough thing getting a team together. A little of this; a little of that.

Go Habs Go!