Habs acquire Nokelainen, Stafford from Phoenix for Trotter & 7th rounder

Commandant

Tons of twitter sources, including reliable guys like Raymond Lavoie, are saying we may have made a trade.

if we end up moving AK46 or weber, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

if we end up moving AK46 or weber, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

Depends on the return. For the right return, I'd move almost anyone on this team.

Lets also remember that AK is a UFA at the end of this season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FriedgeHNIC Elliotte Friedman

Think Canadiens will be picking up Petteri Nokelainen from Phoenix.

If that is the case its a very minor deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

#canadiens acquiert Nokelainen et stafford from phoenix pour trotter and 7th

Depends on the return. For the right return, I'd move almost anyone on this team.

Lets also remember that AK is a UFA at the end of this season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FriedgeHNIC Elliotte Friedman

Think Canadiens will be picking up Petteri Nokelainen from Phoenix.

If that is the case its a very minor deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

#canadiens acquiert Nokelainen et stafford from phoenix pour trotter and 7th

Great - i just posted early this morning in the leafs game thread, that i wanted Palushaj out and Trotter in and the habs trade him. Don't know anything about Noelainen, but looks like we traded a longshot prospect for a career minor league prospect. Yippy, I think this move will turn things around.

Nokelainen is a 4th line centre that is a position we've looked for, for a while

Stafford is a journeyman AHL D.

I don't think he is the 4th line centre we are looking for or need. I think we need an experienced hitting and banging 4th line centre. Nokelainen may fill that role, but considering our young players, i would have preferered going or a vetern option.

I don't like giving up on Trotter - a guy with a lot of offensive potential - for a fourth line role player who is himself a journeyman and hasn't proven himself to be an everyday player.

Umm did we just get fleeced? This guy's a Darche-type, 13th forward who doesn't play more than 11 minutes per game. Gomez's replacement?

well, it looks like the goat and the penguin have love affairs for 4th liners. So I think we will soon see this guy on the habs PP, particularly if its a 5 on 3 PP.

Umm did we just get fleeced? This guy's a Darche-type, 13th forward who doesn't play more than 11 minutes per game. Gomez's replacement?

Fleeced????? We gave up a guy who has done nothing and is 24 years old and a 7th round pick.

What did you expect to get for that.

Brock trotter is a 3rd liner in the NHL, AT BEST, or Corey Locke at worst. What did you expect to get for him? Even making the NHL has been a struggle for him.

A fourth line centre who can kill some penalties and win some faceoffs, and play 11 minutes per game was needed badly. Engqvist has sucked.

Palushaj and Engqvist sent down. Blunden called up.

Palushaj and Engqvist sent down. Blunden called up.

I prefer the new 4th line because:

RH centre who is good at faceoffs

Crash and banger with pretty good hands

Probably Moen or Darche for a veteran presence.

This is much less of a "throw shit through a fan and see what sticks" 4th line.

alright gauthier, now go and either get rid of Gomez or get an impact player...

Gomez may be out for a month with an upper body injury

Great - i just posted early this morning in the leafs game thread, that i wanted Palushaj out and Trotter in and the habs trade him. Don't know anything about Noelainen, but looks like we traded a longshot prospect for a career minor league prospect. Yippy, I think this move will turn things around.

I don't think he is the 4th line centre we are looking for or need. I think we need an experienced hitting and banging 4th line centre. Nokelainen may fill that role, but considering our young players, i would have preferered going or a vetern option.

I don't like giving up on Trotter - a guy with a lot of offensive potential - for a fourth line role player who is himself a journeyman and hasn't proven himself to be an everyday player.

Wait, first you say that you know nothing about Nokelainen, but then you say that he isn't a veteran, and doesnt hit or bang.

Why? Because he's from Finland you assume he doesn't hit despite knowing nothing about the guy?

I prefer the new 4th line because:

RH centre who is good at faceoffs

Crash and banger with pretty good hands

Probably Moen or Darche for a veteran presence.

This is much less of a "throw shit through a fan and see what sticks" 4th line.

Gomez may be out for a month with an upper body injury

Agreed, we needed something better than Engqvist on the fourth line, this is a big upgrade.

Wait, first you say that you know nothing about Nokelainen, but then you say that he isn't a veteran, and doesnt hit or bang.

Why? Because he's from Finland you assume he doesn't hit despite knowing nothing about the guy?

Agreed, we needed something better than Engqvist on the fourth line, this is a big upgrade.

I'm saying I know nothing about him, because I haven't actually seen him play. I saw his NHL stats - which don't really say the type of player he is, but they do show that never played a full NHL season yet. I'm not assuming he doesn't hit because he is from Finland. Saku was undersized and wouldn't hesitate to nail Chara.

Trotter still may develop into an offensive player, who you say is 25 years old and therefore will probably not make it - his main issue is size. He progressed nicely in the KHL last year.

On the other hand Nokelainen is one year older and hasn't shown an ability to stick as a regular nhler.

I think the positives of this trade are as follows:

- Palushaj and Engqvist can go back to the minors and play more then 3-7 minutes per game which they are more accustomed to.

- Blunden comes up who is more used to playing a 4th line role

- Our top sniper Travis Moen doesn't have to fight as much now since we have another guy in the lineup that can drop the gloves.

Seems like a decent minor trade. Trotter gave no reason to be excited and this perhaps gives us an NHL-calbire 4th line, finally.

The real need, though, is for a defenceman who can run a powerplay.

Gomez injury: good news, because it gives Eller room to assert himself and put the Habs in a position to make him redundant. Then perhaps we can dump him for a 7th-round pick or whatever. A man can dream.

Fleeced????? We gave up a guy who has done nothing and is 24 years old and a 7th round pick.

What did you expect to get for that.

Well, give Trotter some credit, he's a top player and a leading scorer even if just in the AHL. Nokelainen was a 3rd line center at best in his limited time there. Yeah i guess we get a decent face-off guy, but ultimately Trotter had more upside than just being 'a guy who has done nothing'.

I doubt you're a big upgrade anywhere when Phoenix buys out your contract. This guy's a journeyman at 25 years old and i don't think he's played 2 minutes on the PK this year either. Guess we're good to win 2 or 3 more face-offs per game. Whoo!

The Blunden move excites me more than this. Can't wait for White to return.

I'm saying I know nothing about him, because I haven't actually seen him play. I saw his NHL stats - which don't really say the type of player he is, but they do show that never played a full NHL season yet. I'm not assuming he doesn't hit because he is from Finland. Saku was undersized and wouldn't hesitate to nail Chara.

Trotter still may develop into an offensive player, who you say is 25 years old and therefore will probably not make it - his main issue is size. He progressed nicely in the KHL last year.

On the other hand Nokelainen is one year older and hasn't shown an ability to stick as a regular nhler.

Trotter has also cleared waivers twice. His value among NHL GMs is obviously pretty low.

If Trotter was as valuable as you and mineral are making him out to be; he wouldn't be clearing waivers.

Honestly, the worst part about this trade is we took on an extra contract. Are we right at the contract limit now?

We were at 48.... the Claim on Betts took us to 49, claim on Woywitka back to 48.

Sign Callahan = 49

Voiding Betts took us back down to 48.

So this trade should take us back to 49.

Let's hope that the evaluation on Trotter was right. If he goes to Phoenix and becomes another Grabovski, Gauthier will look awfuly stupid.

Anyhow, obvious Nokalainen isn't a new Selane, even though he is still quite young (25) and has good size. Obviously, the idea is to use him at center on the 4th line. He is right-handed (much needed), good on face-offs and able to play on the PK unit. I think that he is a much needed upgrade on Engqvist. He might be part of the solution, but certainly not THE solution.

Let's wait and see.