Martin and the press

JCPetit

It looks as though some journalists want Martin's head. Obviously, Jack Todd of The Gazette is one them.

http://www.montrealg...4779/story.html

IMO, he is going way too far, much too fast.

I just don't see how a change of coach and general manager would improve the team after just seven games. I mean, who would replace Martin? Let's face it, there aren't too many experienced French-speaking coaches available, anywhere in the world right now. The job is to coach the Montreal Canadiens, not the Cataractes of Shawinigan. Hell! it's the most difficult coaching job in hockey. There is more emphasis on this job in the medias than on the Quebec PM's job. The Habs have already tried lots of newcomers -- Michel Therrien, Claude Julien, Alain Vigneault, Mario Tremblay and Guy Carbonneau. Those experiences have proven to be far from successful. The job is simply too much to handle if you don't have experience or a great reputation (remember Jacques Lemaire, who left for the U.S. because he had enough of the likes of Jack Todd?).

It's sad to witness once again, but another coach might lose his job for the wrong reasons. Not because he can't do the job. No, because he doesn't give great quotes to the press, doesn't lose his temper and have large ears...

And tell me one thing: who might replace him? I don't have a clue. Well, maybe Jack Todd would do it. Can he speak French?

Same thing with Gauthier. The journalists want him to communicate more regularly with them. What would he tell them? That he is going to make a trade? His job is to manage the team. He made some changes today, small ones I agree, but they're part of the solution, I believe. Obviously, more changes will come if we don't see some improvement soon, but he is a smart guy and won't demolish the team (I hope) to please some crazy reporters.

To conclude, I don't know what Molson will do, but I believe that he will be patient. There's no need to panic. Let's remain very calm.

• Upvote 1

slow news cycle i guess. i know some of us want Martin (& maybe Gauthier) outta here, but really the Habs are going to be fine. this stretch may cost them the division win & therefore a top 3/4 seeding in the east - but they are still a playoff team ... and not just a 'sneak-into-the-playoffs-happy-to-win-a-game-or-two' playoff team, they will be well positioned to go deep this year.

i wasn't thrilled with hiring Martin in the beginning, but i'm happy with his work so far. i wasn't thrilled when Gainey passed the torch to Gauthier, but i'm happy with his work so far. this team is better than last year, it just isn't showing in Wins just yet. it will come. PLEASE, i BEG of the team ... DON'T MAKE A MAJOR CHANGE!!!

• Upvote 1

slow news cycle i guess. i know some of us want Martin (& maybe Gauthier) outta here, but really the Habs are going to be fine. this stretch may cost them the division win & therefore a top 3/4 seeding in the east - but they are still a playoff team ... and not just a 'sneak-into-the-playoffs-happy-to-win-a-game-or-two' playoff team, they will be well positioned to go deep this year.

i wasn't thrilled with hiring Martin in the beginning, but i'm happy with his work so far. i wasn't thrilled when Gainey passed the torch to Gauthier, but i'm happy with his work so far. this team is better than last year, it just isn't showing in Wins just yet. it will come. PLEASE, i BEG of the team ... DON'T MAKE A MAJOR CHANGE!!!

I felt the same way as you about Martin and Gauthier in the beginning and so far. I still believe, like you do, that the team is better than last year. Let's see if we are right.

I do not see why anyone would want Gauthier gone. I like the moves he has made, or tried to make.

If Campoli didn't get head shoted and Betts had cleared we would be looking better for sure.

I do not see why anyone would want Gauthier gone. I like the moves he has made, or tried to make.

If Campoli didn't get head shoted and Betts had cleared we would be looking better for sure.

It makes a lot of sense to me. And we could add that the signing of Markov made plenty of sense too. I mean, we got a top noth player for a reasonable three years contract. The odds were very good that he would be back in shape. It's cheap, IMO, to blame Gauthier for this signing.

The guy's a sports writer and needs to write about something...

If the Habs were winning right now we'd be enjoying write ups on how great Price is, or how Eller's coming along or how Subban's the best thing since indoor plumbing.

But because we're not banking those precious 2 points every night Martin is the scapegoat for every problem in Montreal.

It's a gross and unprofessional article that comes off like a whining 5 year old.

The Canadiens are a good team getting off to a slow start. Nothing more.

It's unfortunate when things get so venomous that they degenerate into public hissy fits.

Nice one Jack.

There's no need to panic. Let's remain very calm.

You're right. +1. I don't like to see the team loose. Yet if they can pull some wins together in the next 15-20 games while Spaceman returns (and whats the expected time of Campoli healing up?) and Markov coming back. Then our D lines can alternate in and out and be fresh by not playing every game.

I still don't like Cole not being used as a top 6, and I find they're are too many line changes all the time. I like Darche, yet he's a 4th line player. With the recent moves it should solidify the 4th line and allow the top 9 players to start building some chemistry and get consistent ice time. This coming week is huge, and the next game is a must win against Florida. Boston seems to be slumping, so those two games will be passion filled and may bring out the best in our Habs. They win the next four games, then we'll quickly forget this brutal start of the season and be happy that our players and racking up wins and points soon enough.

The Habs got unlucky with Campoli and Spaceman going down. Campoli would have been huge in these last games. And yeah, Betts would have given us what Enqvist couldn't. Eller so far has shown that he's way more capable than Gomez, he has better hands, and rushes into the center of the ice whereas, even though he's been trying to do that, Gomez doesn't. These next few weeks will be a character builder for the Habs, or it will be the most epic depression of this generation.

My personal philosophy is never to read the drivel written by Jack Todd, who is the english equivalent of Rejean Tremblay.

Avoid him and stick with Stubbs, and Hickey, and you'll be a lot better off.

I understand why they're siding with the cute chick who asked the question, being writers themselves, and they have the right too - it was a tough question for JM and after another loss, it would be hard to answer because yeah Darche on the PP is pretty stupid, especially in contrast to having a veteran top 6 player on the bench, logically it doesn't make sense, regardless if Cole is the answer for the PP or not. I do frequent HIO every once in awhile, 'cause I like to read up almost everything I can about the Habs.

Yet all in all, supporting the team is what I should be doing - even if I don't agree with JMs coaching.

Remember when Boone - normally likeable enough - basically called for Carbo to be fired, and then raged at Gainey for firing Carbo? :nuts: There's the media in a nutshell. To be ignored by the organization at all costs. And it is absolutely the case that journalists are apt to go on vendettas against coaches or GMs with whom they have a personal beef. There is ZERO accountability for these so-called 'experts' and 'professionals,' few of whom can rival the better bloggers for depth of insight or wit.

All that being said, let me ask the optimists and/or the 'steady on' types like JC: at what point do you change your approach? When we're 6 points out of 8th place? 8 points? 10 points? What is the threshold where you would concede that something radical needs to be done? Just asking.

As BrenDittero said "The Canadiens are a good team getting off to a slow start. Nothing more."

I think this sums it up.

Were we going to get Markov and Wiz? Don't think so.

Have we been bitch-slapped by injuries. Uh huh. Hard to develop cohesion and smooth play in the face of this.

Good Lord willin 'n the crik don't rise we' can watch our team get better and better.

Go Habs Go!

I understand why they're siding with the cute chick who asked the question, being writers themselves, and they have the right too - it was a tough question for JM and after another loss, it would be hard to answer because yeah Darche on the PP is pretty stupid, especially in contrast to having a veteran top 6 player on the bench, logically it doesn't make sense, regardless if Cole is the answer for the PP or not. I do frequent HIO every once in awhile, 'cause I like to read up almost everything I can about the Habs.

Yet all in all, supporting the team is what I should be doing - even if I don't agree with JMs coaching.

I understand why they are siding with her too. JM answered in an unprofessional manner.

Stubbs called him out on it via twitter too.

I just hate Jack Todd with a fiery passion and have for a long time.

Remember when Boone - normally likeable enough - basically called for Carbo to be fired, and then raged at Gainey for firing Carbo? :nuts: There's the media in a nutshell. To be ignored by the organization at all costs. And it is absolutely the case that journalists are apt to go on vendettas against coaches or GMs with whom they have a personal beef. There is ZERO accountability for these so-called 'experts' and 'professionals,' few of whom can rival the better bloggers for depth of insight or wit.

All that being said, let me ask the optimists and/or the 'steady on' types like JC: at what point do you change your approach? When we're 6 points out of 8th place? 8 points? 10 points? What is the threshold where you would concede that something radical needs to be done? Just asking.

I don't know what the threshold moment is, we are approaching it, but i haven't seen it yet.

I make the move when i feel the team (or the majority of it) has quit on the coach. And I haven't seen that yet.

Pittsburgh was a damning effort... but i thought it was surrounded by three generally good efforts in the Toronto, Buffalo and Colorado games.

I don't think that Jacques is a bad coach, or is no longer coaching a system... so in order to fire him, I need to see the team quit.

What is a team that quits?? See the blowout games and lackluster efforts of the last few games before Carbo's firing.

When we actually miss the playoffs.

If that happens, burn it down and start over if you want. Until then just chill.

It is obviously not time to panic yet at least as far as moving Martin. I heard plenty of pollsters had us first in the conference and now I hear us saying be content to make playoff. I don't except that last offering as a direction for this team. You have to strive to be better or changes need to be made. I give Martin some rope, but this team needs to turn it around or I start making changes long before playoff time.

I understand why they're siding with the cute chick who asked the question, being writers themselves, and they have the right too - it was a tough question for JM and after another loss, it would be hard to answer because yeah Darche on the PP is pretty stupid, especially in contrast to having a veteran top 6 player on the bench, logically it doesn't make sense, regardless if Cole is the answer for the PP or not. I do frequent HIO every once in awhile, 'cause I like to read up almost everything I can about the Habs. Yet all in all, supporting the team is what I should be doing - even if I don't agree with JMs coaching.

The question was not a bad one, but if I am not mistaken it had been asked a number of times. I can't help but think how I would have reacted if I had been at his place... I guess I would have been mad too. Again, remember how Lemaire felt when the reporters were second-guessing him. He lost his temper too. Think about it: one of the best minds in hockey second-guessed by guys who know nothing about hockey strategy, the players, etc. Some guys (very few) can take it; others don't.

I'd be concerned if management were looking for a quantifiable threshold for determining when action needs to be taken. I should hope that the conduct on the ice would be sufficient. Every team goes through slumps. Not every team looks this poorly whist going through said stretches.

Until then just chill.

If management takes the same approach, we're doomed for sure. I believe one has to be proactive in sport, or at least reactive. Comatose doesn't generally lead to positive results.

The appropriate response seems to me to be a combination of how the team is playing PLUS how we are doing in the standings.

The team hasn't played all that badly except against Pittsburgh, and (crucially) the PP showed signs of life last night; but an absolute lack of self-confidence is destroying its ability to capitalize on our many chances. That's the whole 'stick squeezing' phenomenon: you whiff, you pass instead of shoot, you hurry your release because you're so desperate, etc.. As long as we're in the playoff mix, you can afford to to wait for those breaks to go our way, and those chances to start going in.

IF this continues to the point where the playoffs become unlikely, then I say that regardless of overall team play you fire Martin OR make a major trade as a way of resetting the team psychologically. Sometimes that's what it takes to get a team believing in itself again. And also at some point you really just do have to demand results - and therefore try something bold to make it happen.

Of course, all of this takes as given that this is basically a good team to begin with. Those who never liked this configuration will naturally prefer to blow it up altogether.

When we actually miss the playoffs.

If that happens, burn it down and start over if you want. Until then just chill.

I disagree. When we reach the point where the odds of making the playoffs are dim, then you have to start the build for the next year. Play the kids more. Trade short term help for long term help. For example, maybe you trade AK to a team making a run for a great prospect (if you can't sign him up). Maybe you trade Gionta or Cammy, etc...

At some point, you have to be realistic and get working on improving the team...

I personally believe this is an average team, getting below average results due to some coaching issues and injuries. I am willing to give JM time to fix the issues he has, but only for so long.

IF this continues to the point where the playoffs become unlikely, then I say that regardless of overall team play you fire Martin OR make a major trade as a way of resetting the team psychologically.

I think most would agree this team has the pure talent to succeed, at least based on the previous two years. So if that's the case, they why wait until we're out of contention? If you believe this team really can have success, then don't you owe it to yourself (as ownership/management) to do what it takes to get them there? It's blatantly obvious, at least to me, they've stopped responding to Martin. Sure, you could go out and blow a few assets to bring in a "major" player, but if the majority still isn't listening and isn't performing with passion, what are you left with? More talent and a non-playoff team.

No one likes the coach to be the "scape-goat." Especially when the coach really does have talent, which I believe Martin has. Unfortunately, it's a truism in sports that when a team gets jaded, generally it's the coach to take the axe. I believe this is the right thing to do. Very few coaches have the ability to adapt, modify and re-make themselves on the go with one team and still get respect from the players. Martin now has to adapt. The team he has now is better (I think) than the ones he had previously, but it's also built somewhat differently. Sadly, they aren't responding to his system, and they certainly aren't generating any passion out there. Don't mistake desperation for passion, either. When we dominate at the end of the game, it's hardly the same as a team playing with passion. One is fear, the other is desire. People make mistakes through fear. It may be a good motivator at crunch time (say, at the end of the game when you're down by a goal), but it can't the the main drive for the team.

For whatever reason, confidence has tanked and Martin can't find the key. It's time to replace the chauffeur.

Every team has to deal with injuries.

Every team has stretches of bad games.

People are taking abut firing the coach after less than 10 games?

please... the joys of being a Canadiens fan...

You know, I actually don't mind this story line.

I wouldn't be heartbroken (or surprised) if we lost the next 3 games.

I think the darker things get in the next week the more it will help our players in the long run.

Nobody is going to do it for them. There is no silver bullet.

The Habs need to become a TEAM.

Its not like they haven't been playing hard or quit on their coach (at the moment)

We just need some confidence and a few god damned bounces to go our way..

I agree with being 'proactive' vs 'comatose' re: managing the team, but I think the argument can go both ways..

Lets give our boys the benefit of the doubt for now and see if they can't come together to overcome this adversity.

Of course if we are in 12th place in the East after the All-Star break, Fire JM, trade Pleks and Cammy, drop Gomez off at the glue factory and build for 2013.....

In response to some of the above posts:

1) I don't expect Gautier or Martin to chill. They have jobs on the line and are in a position to actually make changes to the organization. We are not.

The chilling refers to us. No need to get all up in arms less than 10 games in.

2) This notion that something radical needs to happen is true...if we miss the playoffs.

That means getting to the point where it's mathematically impossible make the post season. We might know that in March, not October.

It's only been 8 games. When the Habs turn this around ( and they will ) all the fire Martin rhetoric will seem just as ridiculous as it did last year.

When I watch the games it appears that we have lots of scoring chances but no luck.

This team is solid.

• Upvote 1

It's only been 8 games. When the Habs turn this around ( and they will ) all the fire Martin rhetoric will seem just as ridiculous as it did last year.

When I watch the games it appears that we have lots of scoring chances but no luck.

This team is solid.

Agree.

If your baby doesn't walk in its first 12 months of life you don't cut the kids legs off.

Patience my friends..