Is it time for Martin to go?

TurdBurglar

I think it is time for him to go. I saw one comment on the TSN website that points out what kind of coach Martin really is. Martin doesn't coach to win, he coaches not to lose. That comment is 100% accurate. The only offense he cares about is a 1 goal lead and turtle to protect it. Then he has no transition from pure defense back to offense, once the team is in that shell, thats where they stay.

He obviously doesn't know how to use his players effectively and doesn't have a clue on offense. He doesn't play the big body Cole on the powerplay? Darche on the powerplay? Kostitsyn playing 3rd line? Eller on the 3rd line? Moen on the 1st/2nd line? Not seeing clear chemistry between his players.

Eller last year was put in a defensive position like Kostitsyn on the 3rd and 4th lines, this year Eller plays a few games on the top 2 lines and he look great. Give Eller more offensive time, he`s creating chances and doing good things on offense, he will produce.

Kostitsyn isn`t a consistent play, everybody knows that, but you can`t tuck him away until he gets hot then move him up lines. Kostitsyn`s role doesn`t fit his playstyle, so of course he`s going to look worse than he is. Look at Sergei after he was traded away, went from a bane on the team to a 20+ goal scorer. I know Sergei wasn`t Martin`s era, but still, same point.

Cole, DD and Pacioretty played 1 shift together against Toronto, Cole and Pacioretty both had some good shots on net, DD and Pacioretty make good things happen. To me that would be a combination I would use, but to Martin, it`s not. Right now with 1 line that works, being Gionta-Plekanec-Cammalleri, we desperately need another line that works, but bacause Martin can`t find anything that works, he`f forced to split up the only working line. So now instead of 1 line that works and looking for another he would rather use 0 that works and look for the positive.

With the injuries it doesn`t make anything easy but it`s the coach`s job to adapt, and Martin can`t. To me, he need to shape up or ship out, and it needs to be soon if there`s any hope to salvage this season.

i also believe it is time....the "system" is just too boring... and I believe with the changes on defence and new bodies coming in on the forward lines i just dont believe we have the personnel on the team to play this style anymore. I guess my real problem is that PG and JM arent on the same page, but this is just an excuse to get rid of Martin....i never really liked him anyways....he almost always gets out coached in tuff matchups (ie. Philly, Boston, Tampa, Toronto, Buffalo, Calgary)

I am losing faith in him to make good decisions during games...

Okay, we have been talking about how Martin needs to go and everyone has been saying the same things.

Can anyone think of a reasonable replacement. (Assuming he has to be french speaking)

This guy couldn't even make it to the Stanley Cup finals with the Ottawa Senators. With the talent they had back then they should have won at least 1 if not 2 cups.

If he what just leave the line combinations alone and let the guys play the goals will come.

Kirk Muller would be a great choice.

Edited by fleaman

I too would like to see Muller get some consideration, but I don't think he speaks French. I don't think the HC needs to speak french but we all know how that situation would go in the french media.

I wonder if Guy Boucher has a special out-clause in Tampa Bay in the event the Habs job comes open. If that's the case he would be #1 on my list.

Can anyone think of a reasonable replacement. (Assuming he has to be french speaking)

I'll toss a name I haven't seen out there yet - Denis Savard. He has some ties to the Habs, speaks French, and has NHL head coaching experience.

I'll toss a name I haven't seen out there yet - Denis Savard. He has some ties to the Habs, speaks French, and has NHL head coaching experience.

Yeah I just looked up his coaching he did alright in Chicago, apparently he is a scout there now.

Yeah I just looked up his coaching he did alright in Chicago, apparently he is a scout there now.

He loves the organization, so much that I'm not sure he'll want to leave. That said, if the Habs plan to pillage someone from another team, that's where they'll have to go. Most teams don't allow assistants/AHL coaches to leave midseason but scouts or consultants (aka he's fired but since the team is paying him he may as well stay on the payroll) is a different story.

Lets hope they hire him and a couple games into next season fire him and replace him with Quenneville so they can win a cup ;)

Lets hope they hire him and a couple games into next season fire him and replace him with Quenneville so they can win a cup ;)

I think we have uncovered a plot here...

So someone in the Montreal organization read this post and reported it back to Martin. Cole, Pacioretty and DD are together tonight. On the powerplay for the first time this year they have equal numbers down low working for the puck and what happens? Powerplay goal because they didn't lose possession and get the puck cleared out.

For a replacement coach first Montreal needs to give up on a french speaking coach, just hire a good english coach and a translator.

Edited by Turd Burglar

So someone in the Montreal organization read this post and reported it back to Martin.  Cole, Pacioretty and DD are together tonight.  On the powerplay for the first time this year they have equal numbers down low working for the puck and what happens?  Powerplay goal because they didn't lose possession and get the puck cleared out.

For a replacement coach first Montreal needs to give up on a french speaking coach, just hire a good english coach and a translator.

The line played together for the game vs Florida until the Pacioretty injury (at ES).

Don't really want Savard. I think he was Chicago's answer to reaching out to the past to appease the fans, but while he had a good rapport with the young Hawks, he wasn't much of a coach.

Ultimately, it won't be us deciding his future. However I do believe that Martin's "success" is overrated and has been since his hiring. I think it was Commandant that had a spiel on his success that to me was pretty accurate. I think this organization was embarrassed to fall to last place and had to lop of a few toes yesterday. I don't have to stick the rope over his head he will achieve that himself. I just loath the "Please Sir, don't hit me" attitude and the running of players without consequences, especially the goalie. I like Savard as a possibility. I am encouraged by the fact that as of yesterday we are to have an "out-of-the-box" approach; which could mean an international approach to filling coaching vacancies.