GDT: Canadiens vs Oilers - 8/11/2011

bar

The question is WHY do we NEED to put Plek on the point right now, when it has for the most part been a disaster?????

Amazing, the OTHER team got a too many men penalty!!

They seem to want a guy with hockey smarts, superb vision and excellent passing playing the point.

Pleks is the closest to Markov that I can think of...

Changing that kind of player changes the tactics... which they probably should do right about yesterday.

• Upvote 1

They seem to want a guy with hockey smarts, superb vision and excellent passing playing the point.

Pleks is the closest to Markov that I can think of...

Changing that kind of player changes the tactics... which they probably should do right about yesterday.

Why can't they just have Subban for the full two minutes and pair him with either Weber or Diaz. Hell I'd rather even have Spacek at the point then Pleks.

What is that 0 for 6 or 0 for 7 on the PP???? Maybe for the post-game press conference we should get that chick reporter to ask Martin what are PP Success stats with Pleks on the point and who knows, maybe he will listen to her again. ;)

Man, I really hate Sportsnet. THey have to have the worst play by play and color guys in the world and their panel isn't much better!

Well here comes another 3rd period where we need to score to win. It's only 1-0 yet this year it seems the Habs keep making mistakes, instead of scoring.

The system is good play without the puck? Okay... what about play with the puck? That area needs some work imo.

Why can't they just have Subban for the full two minutes and pair him with either Weber or Diaz. Hell I'd rather even have Spacek at the point then Pleks.

I think the main reason they don't do that is because Subban is playing too many minutes (and struggling somewhat with the current workload) already. Adding 3-4 minutes per game to that isn't going to help him in all likelihood.

I think the main reason they don't do that is because Subban is playing too many minutes (and struggling somewhat with the current workload) already. Adding 3-4 minutes per game to that isn't going to help him in all likelihood.

Take away his 5 on 5 time, give Emelin more of a chance on the 5 on 5. Giving subban more PP by playing him more on the PP, they might actually get him going if he starts producing.

So when will everyone else realize that Martin can't coordinate a proper PP? First PP there were 4 blind passes that turned into the puck being cleared. The winning formula to a PP is close the box, use the point. Too many bad decisions with a bad PP setup. Gotta put the puck deep, close the box THEN use the point, way too much trying force plays at the point with defenders in their face. Way too many 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 on the boards when their a man up. Someone has to remind them they have the extra man.

Someone show Martin the tapes from anyone else's PP.

Personally.. I think we are a .500 team. Too many "stars" that are really 15 to 20 goal scorers and an iffy D. I don't see us as a powerhouse. DD is a poor man's Gomez. At least Gomez can win some battles.

We still need that big, true number one center. Cole is a good addition, but overall we didn't improve, other teams did.

I've said all season that the absence of a Wisniewski replacement is the key. That's why we can't score on the PP, which is why we are hard pressed to win. The 4-game win streak was heartening, but that still seems to be a structural weakness, and it's most glaringly obvious on the PP. Until Markov and/or Campoli return, it's gonna be touch and go.

Take away his 5 on 5 time, give Emelin more of a chance on the 5 on 5. Giving subban more PP by playing him more on the PP, they might actually get him going if he starts producing.

I'll grant you that it might help get him going (though he does lead all Habs' D and is 2nd only to Plekanec in total PP TOI) but if you curtail his 5-on-5 time, you'll see some situations where the defence pairings start to get mixed and matched to compensate. For all the forward juggling the Habs do, they're really hesitant to move the pairings around unless it's late in a game when they're down or an injury arises. It's a bit of a catch-22 in my opinion.

So when will everyone else realize that Martin can't coordinate a proper PP? First PP there were 4 blind passes that turned into the puck being cleared. The winning formula to a PP is close the box, use the point. Too many bad decisions with a bad PP setup. Gotta put the puck deep, close the box THEN use the point, way too much trying force plays at the point with defenders in their face. Way too many 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 on the boards when their a man up. Someone has to remind them they have the extra man.

Someone show Martin the tapes from anyone else's PP.

LIke I said lets get the chick reporter to bring this up with Martin in the post game press conference. COle manage to get on the PP after her question, despite Martin ripping her in the press conference. :lol:

LIke I said lets get the chick reporter to bring this up with Martin in the post game press conference. COle manage to get on the PP after her question, despite Martin ripping her in the press conference. :lol:

Maybe we should get her to coach the habs, can't be any worse than Martin.

I'll grant you that it might help get him going (though he does lead all Habs' D and is 2nd only to Plekanec in total PP TOI) but if you curtail his 5-on-5 time, you'll see some situations where the defence pairings start to get mixed and matched to compensate. For all the forward juggling the Habs do, they're really hesitant to move the pairings around unless it's late in a game when they're down or an injury arises. It's a bit of a catch-22 in my opinion.

How much more mix and matched can Martin's combos possibly get???

Pleks and Subban are getting lots of ice time on the PP, but when the setup of the PP is clearly flawed, who cares how much time they are getting. Have Subban wth someone else who can blast it from the point. SImplify the PP, instruct Subban and Weber/Diaz/Spacek stop passing and shoot the friggin puck. Have Cole on one corner of the net, Maxpac with his ass planted in front of the goalie and Pleks down low at the face-ff hash marks where he is effective.

Why is Martin trying to turn Pleks into Markov as some have suggested. Keep the friggin PP simple, shoot the puck, screen the goalie and score some ugly goals.

Maybe we should get her to coach the habs, can't be any worse than Martin.

:hyper:

Some would say she hasn't won as many games as Martin, I'll just say, she hasn't lost as many :D

Man, Eller has skills. Thank goodness we have him surrounded on the ice by stellar offensive talents so we can make use of his growing confidence and strong play.

• Upvote 1