GDT: Canadiens vs Oilers - 8/11/2011

bar

We have to play .600 hockey the rest of the way... I don't see it, even with Markov and Gomez back.

Didn't we have to do that in each of the last two seasons as well? Maybe my memory is faulty. Happens at this age.

One thing that I'm sure of : this team doesn't suck more when Gomez play. Biggest bullshit ever.

Agreed. Not to knock Desharnais too much, but he's been struggling lately and Gomez would be an upgrade for sure. He'd help the PP for sure.

I thought the CH would be a .500 club until Markov got back, but it's not looking that way... I can put up with it as long as we beat the Bruins all year and finish ahead of them.

Does anyone know when Campoli may return?

Eller with AK on the third line is a good thing, imo. Gomez back on the second line will help. DD needs to be traded for a more useful player. I would take another Cole type winger, or maybe a MaxPac type to play with Eller. (Tough, with some finish).

Yes, JM and probably PG are on borrowed time. I suspect they won't make until Xmas. It's a combination of issues. The reality is the team is know where as good as they were the last 2 years .

I heard a stat on JM teams going back to when he started in Florida the florida announcers JM teams are in the top 5 every year in minor penalties. is that a system problem? he has speed but sits back way too much.

PG took a chance on Markov, instead of offering a big contract to Wis.

The D is simply awful, if you Diaz, Yemelin, Weber as 3 of your top 7 you are in troulble. Gorges and Gill are 5 and 6 D's on any good team. The habs best D is having a terrible year.

The offense is just as bad as last year, is that a system problem, maybe. Cole, Eller and Pacioretty have impressed me,

The PP and taking panalties are killing the team.

We'll see, my prediction a house cleaning by Xmas. Including some players.

But you never know, i am wrong alot.

Yes, JM and probably PG are on borrowed time. I suspect they won't make until Xmas. It's a combination of issues. The reality is the team is know where as good as they were the last 2 years .

I heard a stat on JM teams going back to when he started in Florida the florida announcers JM teams are in the top 5 every year in minor penalties. is that a system problem? he has speed but sits back way too much.

PG took a chance on Markov, instead of offering a big contract to Wis.

The D is simply awful, if you Diaz, Yemelin, Weber as 3 of your top 7 you are in troulble. Gorges and Gill are 5 and 6 D's on any good team. The habs best D is having a terrible year.

The offense is just as bad as last year, is that a system problem, maybe. Cole, Eller and Pacioretty have impressed me,

The PP and taking panalties are killing the team.

We'll see, my prediction a house cleaning by Xmas. Including some players.

But you never know, i am wrong alot.

If the team is still playing sub-.500 hockey by Christmas, we may indeed see some sort of housecleaning - particularly the firing of Martin, a move that would likely stave off threats to Gauthier. Having said that, it's slightly nuts to complain about our defence and our PP given that Campoli and Markov - the two elements that were supposed to replace Wisnieswki - have been injured. I've been vocal about the stupidity of letting Hammer walk, but nonetheless I think it would be unfair to fire people because of that one move. It's a bit like the situation in Columbus: they add Carter and Wisniewski, then both those guys become unavailable, and the team goes 1-7. In short, we've suffered long-term injuries to both of the players who were designated to address the very weaknesses that are killing us. Rather like suffering long-term injuries to your top two centremen or your two goalies, that's just abysmally bad luck and you can't rationally expect a team to flourish under those circumstances (Pittsburgh notwithstanding).

So the sane, reasonable thing to do is to see how the team does when Markov and/or Campoli return.

Incidentally, gang, we're four points out of a playoff spot. Not exactly insurmountable. As before, people need to focus on the actual standings instead of hypotheticals or winning percentage. Stay calm! :habslogo:

First time this year we ran into a team that can skate circles around us. I didn't think we looked bad, they just looked real good. Guess that is why they are beating everyone this year. Great young team Solid rebuild. They will be a top team now until these guys hit UFA status at which point. like anyone with a non-frozen brain, they escape the uglyness that is Edmonton.

First time this year we ran into a team that can skate circles around us. I didn't think we looked bad, they just looked real good. Guess that is why they are beating everyone this year. Great young team Solid rebuild. They will be a top team now until these guys hit UFA status at which point. like anyone with a non-frozen brain, they escape the uglyness that is Edmonton.

I thought Montreal outplayed them overall. Bulin was phenominal. I watch a lot of Oilers hockey, and I believe once Bulin slows down, they will slip in the standings quickly. They improved a lot with the signing of Belanger, Smyth, and Barker, but they are a year or two from good IMO.

I thought Montreal outplayed them overall. Bulin was phenominal. I watch a lot of Oilers hockey, and I believe once Bulin slows down, they will slip in the standings quickly. They improved a lot with the signing of Belanger, Smyth, and Barker, but they are a year or two from good IMO.

I think they are a year or two away from being a terror in the west, I am not sure that Bulin will slip and even if he does Dubnyk has a 2.19 gaa and a 9.30 S% in his 5 games and is looking like a real starter.

I think they are going to be in the playoffs this year, and for many years to come.

Bring the Cammy-Pleks-Ak line back!

Then have like.... Cole-Eller-gio

then..................... DD-Gomez-Patches

I can dream...

Cole and Gio both play the right side.

DD - Eller - Cole / Patches - Gomez - Gionta though...

Bring the Cammy-Pleks-Ak line back! Then have like.... Cole-Eller-gio then..................... DD-Gomez-Patches I can dream...

I think thats a bit mean to Patches considering he has been our best player in my book.

Incidentally, gang, we're four points out of a playoff spot. Not exactly insurmountable. As before, people need to focus on the actual standings instead of hypotheticals or winning percentage. Stay calm! :habslogo:

4 points is a lot, when you consider the number of 3 point games being played. It also doesn't look good when you consider that Boston and NJ are also not yet in the mix of teams in the playoffs. I still stand by original assertion that JM should have been fired along with Pearn. Instead, we are going to be deeper in the whole when PG will finally make the move and then are going to be in a much more difficult situation to make up ground.

The PP still looks awful and the reason isn't simply as not having Wiz. With the exception of one game, Pleks has looked lost and been a disaster on the point (and I remember someone posting here when Pleks did score a PP goal how great he looked and took a shot at those that oppose having Pleks on the point).

We are also taking WAY too many penalties and probably receive the most too many men on the ice penalties then any other team in the league.

4 points is a lot, when you consider the number of 3 point games being played. It also doesn't look good when you consider that Boston and NJ are also not yet in the mix of teams in the playoffs. I still stand by original assertion that JM should have been fired along with Pearn. Instead, we are going to be deeper in the whole when PG will finally make the move and then are going to be in a much more difficult situation to make up ground.

The PP still looks awful and the reason isn't simply as not having Wiz. With the exception of one game, Pleks has looked lost and been a disaster on the point (and I remember someone posting here when Pleks did score a PP goal how great he looked and took a shot at those that oppose having Pleks on the point).

We are also taking WAY too many penalties and probably receive the most too many men on the ice penalties then any other team in the league.

The Pleks thing on the point is a bit strange, I'll grant you - JM has a habit of stubbornly sticking to experiments that have passed their best-before date, and contrary to your apparent belief I am not an uncritical defender of Martin's every tiwtch and grunt - but again, what's the fundamental difference between last year's pretty good PP and this year's crappy PP? What has changed? Answer: the absence of a defenceman who can run a PP. We had the same problem in 2009 when we had to get Schneider, in 2010 when he had to get Bergeron, we had the same problems last season before Wiz was acquired, and we have the same problems now that he's gone. To me, this is as clear cut an independent variable as you get in the complicated world of pro sport. The impotent PP is the key to our losing record; the subtraction of the Wiz is the key to our impotent PP.

When Markov and Campoli return, our power-play will improve substantially. It may not happen right away, but as Markov in particular rounds into form we will start winning these close games instead of losing them. Whether that will happen in time for us to make the playoffs is a different question.

Martin may be fired before that point. If he is, I won't throw myself off a building - assuming they replace him with a quality alternative. But he will be fired primarily because of injuries to the players who were supposed to run the power-play rather than because our struggles are somehow 'his fault.'

I don't believe it's the absence of a defenseman, it's the strategy itself. They run 2 at the point, one on the boards, one in front of the net and one in the slot. Nobody is near the corners or down low and the guy in the slot is useless. The guy in the slot can only be used for taking a pass, but the puck carrier is too pressured to make that pass. This turns a 5 on 4 into a 4 on 4, making to way too easy to cut passing lanes and pressure the puck carrier. Look at every other team's strategy against the habs. They cycle the puck down low and close the box, then cycle the puck to the point for the defenseman to have time to assess the situation and make a good decision. Montreal always has someone in their face giving no time to make a read on the play. End result is bad, blind passes.

Martin needs to get his team to close the defensive box. Every successful powerplay can do it. Can anyone remember Streit or Souray having a defenseman in their face when trying to get off that bomb of a shot? No, because they cycled the puck to close the box and open the point. The problem on the PP isn't the players, it's a bad strategy making it impossible for the players to make a good read before making a play. Result is bad PP with too many turn overs and too many blind passes. Only acceptable blind pass on the PP is a pass on the boards down low when the defenseman starts to get pressured. It's not accpetable to have 2, 3, 4 blind passes to the slot and center ice every PP.