Sabres vs Habs, Nov. 14, 7 PM EST

dlbalr

Bad news: We blew what should have been a victory.

Good news: Have we finally FINALLY found a replacement for Leclair? Patches is getting better and better all the time.

I'm too pissed to have the glass is half full perspective right now. How do we blow a two goal lead and lay an egg in the third period. To me this game is a showcase of why JM sucks as a coach and just makes plain stupid decisions.

So has anyone seen Price make a save on a breakaway this year? He is 0 for 4 shots on shootouts.

He actually has stopped at least three breakaways i can remember this year. But this loss is not on Price. THere was no way this game should have gone to OT, let alone a shootout. We blow a game we had in the bag.

I'm too pissed to have the glass is half full perspective right now.  How do we blow a two goal lead and lay an egg in the third period.  To me this game is a showcase of why JM sucks as a coach and just makes plain stupid decisions.

Didn't have anything to do with a team that played a brutal first 40 minutes putting on some pressure and playing well in the third. Couldn't possibly be that the Sabres are a decent hockey club too. It was all JM's coaching that led to those two goals.

What was Gio doing in the shootout anyway...?  Cole would have been a better choice, or Eller he's got hands.  Bah, stupid loss indeed.

Gio has great stats in the shootout in his career.  So does Gomez.  The guy I was pissed at using is Plekanec who is 3/19 career.  He's not good in shootouts, why do we keep using him.

Didn't have anything to do with a team that played a brutal first 40 minutes putting on some pressure and playing well in the third.  Couldn't possibly be that the Sabres are a decent hockey club too.  It was all JM's coaching that led to those two goals.

You also have a team playing without Gill and without Spacek and with only 5 defencemen for 1/2 the game.  The young kids ran out of gas. Those two vets are two of our most dependable in protecting a lead.

Gio has great stats in the shootout in his career. So does Gomez. The guy I was pissed at using is Plekanec who is 3/19 career. He's not good in shootouts, why do we keep using him.

I see. True that, Cole scored tonight... I'm thinking he should have shot at least. Anyways, *deep breath* ...

:(

Another masterful performance by our boys!! :rolleyes: To lose a game when your leading by 2 goals in the 3rd is unacceptable. Pathetic, and on top of that, it's against a divisional rival!

To me this game is a showcase of why JM sucks as a coach and just makes plain stupid decisions.

I wouldn't say that is showcases his stupid decissions, what it does however, is show us that his passive aggresive style doesn't work. Instead of going for that 3rd goal which would've effectivley burried the sabres, we let them come back in the game, and they did.

Also, can Carey make a save on a breakaway? I don'T think he's made one save this year.

He actually has stopped at least three breakaways i can remember this year. But this loss is not on Price. THere was no way this game should have gone to OT, let alone a shootout. We blow a game we had in the bag.

Ya I'm not blaming it on him. It's just an observation. He sucks at shootouts and brsakaways this year. I haven't really kept track, but it could be because teams practice shootouts now. Maybe all goalies are getting destroyed in shootouts. Still, it would be nice to see that part of his game turn around.

OK, I missed the game. It appears that we blew the most notoriously fragile lead in hockey, but also that we got a point (why do people forget that SO losses aren't really 'losses,' more like half-losses or half-wins?) Can somebody explain to me, in a specific way, how Martin's coaching cost us this win? Because that seems to be the online consensus.

I'm too pissed to have the glass is half full perspective right now. How do we blow a two goal lead and lay an egg in the third period. To me this game is a showcase of why JM sucks as a coach and just makes plain stupid decisions.

Because the Habs definitively would have scored with Subban on the point on the PP? It's not as if the PP has done anything with him the entire season. Like most here, I feel Eller was underutilized but beyond that, this doesn't fall on Martin. It's not his fault Price struggles in the shootout. It's also not his fault Subban can't hit the broad side of a barn with a shot (1 shot out of 7 attempts hit the net, that's pathetic). Let's give the Sabres some credit rather than just throwing Martin under the bus, it's not as if they're a division leader or anything...oh wait, they are.

I wouldn't say that is showcases his stupid decissions, what it does however, is show us that his passive aggresive style doesn't work. Instead of going for that 3rd goal which would've effectivley burried the sabres, we let them come back in the game, and they did.

We should remember that the players and coaches have all come out and said that the coaches don't tell them to play differently with the lead. Like most teams, they tense up hoping not to choke.

You also have a team playing without Gill and without Spacek and with only 5 defencemen for 1/2 the game. The young kids ran out of gas.

I could counter with the fact that Buffalo wasn't playing Myers and the best goalie in the league!

I agree however that this loss isn't on Carey's shoulders. This game should neve have made it OT.

Didn't have anything to do with a team that played a brutal first 40 minutes putting on some pressure and playing well in the third. Couldn't possibly be that the Sabres are a decent hockey club too. It was all JM's coaching that led to those two goals.

The point is that the sabres didn't show up for the first two periods and we let them off the hook. We had a chance to bury them and our PP should have been much more effective and had it been more effective, we would have won.

The PP issues are mainly issues with how players are being used. Why isn't Eller on the PP, while Darche still gets a chance. Darche had a clear cut breakaway, which he flubbed badly. The guy is not an offensive player, why can't the friggin 600 win coach see this??????? Why is Pleks on the point??? Spend time in practice committing to Weber/Subban and let them and the team develop chemistry.

Why wasn't Subban on the 1st PP unit after we dodged a bullet with the penalty to start OT?????

OK, I missed the game. It appears that we blew the most notoriously fragile lead in hockey, but also that we got a point (why do people forget that SO losses aren't really 'losses,' more like half-losses or half-wins?) Can somebody explain to me, in a specific way, how Martin's coaching cost us this win? Because that seems to be the online consensus.

As I mentionned in my previous post, instead of going for that 3rd goal and putting the final nail in the Sabres coffin, JM had our boys playing his infamous passive agressive style, which allowed the Sabres to get back into the game!

Also, Had our boys been down by 2 goals, and we would've lost in OT or in SO, i think most of us would be pretty happy with the result. BUt we were up by 2, and choked...once again.

It seems to me that everytime we have some excuse for the loss At the beginning of the year, it was Miller who saved the Sabres, and now even when the Sabres don't play for the first 40 minutes, they still manage to leave with the 2 points, while we're left holding our dicks in our hands!

Gio has great stats in the shootout in his career. So does Gomez. The guy I was pissed at using is Plekanec who is 3/19 career. He's not good in shootouts, why do we keep using him.

You also have a team playing without Gill and without Spacek and with only 5 defencemen for 1/2 the game. The young kids ran out of gas.

I actually thought Weber was great on the PK in OT, as was Pleks.

I agree with Pleks in the shootout. He has looked better this year, but last year he was horrible on the shootout.

Some game stats as I don't have time to do the 3 Stars:

- Nokelainen 1/7 on faceoffs, he's in a slump now.

- Subban played 27:37, can't say he's not being used enough.

- Darche had 4 hits in limited ice time. He also had the lone takeaway in the entire game for the Habs.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/ES020245.HTM

Because the Habs definitively would have scored with Subban on the point on the PP? It's not as if the PP has done anything with him the entire season. Like most here, I feel Eller was underutilized but beyond that, this doesn't fall on Martin. It's not his fault Price struggles in the shootout. It's also not his fault Subban can't hit the broad side of a barn with a shot (1 shot out of 7 attempts hit the net, that's pathetic). Let's give the Sabres some credit rather than just throwing Martin under the bus, it's not as if they're a division leader or anything...oh wait, they are.

We should remember that the players and coaches have all come out and said that the coaches don't tell them to play differently with the lead. Like most teams, they tense up hoping not to choke.

it's not Martin's fault that as usual the tema is sitting on a lead in a game the other team didn't show up until the third period????

What they should be working on is in practice is commiting with two dman while Markov is out and work with Subban on shortening his wind-up and using that wrister he has. It is a coaching issue when the PP isn't clicking because the players appear to have little to no chemistry. What the friggin hell was Darche on the PP for????

Some game stats as I don't have time to do the 3 Stars:

- Nokelainen 1/7 on faceoffs, he's in a slump now.

- Subban played 27:37, can't say he's not being used enough.

- Darche had 4 hits in limited ice time. He also had the lone takeaway in the entire game for the Habs.

http://www.nhl.com/s...12/ES020245.HTM

Subban isn't being used when he SHOULD be used. We need him on the PP. He is our most creative player - use him at that time and take away some of his 5 on 5 time.

Darche's take away ended up being a waste away.

I could counter with the fact that Buffalo wasn't playing Myers and the best goalie in the league!

I agree however that this loss isn't on Carey's shoulders. This game should neve have made it OT.

Buffalo had 6 D. The Habs were down to 5 D for half the game. The exhaustion of the D squad showed in the third period. Never mind the fact that Robyn Regher alone has more experience than the 5 Habs D who remained in the game combined. Gill and Spacek have taken a lot of flak from Habs fans, but this third period showed their value to this team.

Since we're playing 'point, counterpoint' (always makes for interesting discussion), let me counter:

- Myers has been terrible this year and was a healthy scratch, not injured.

- Enroth actually has outplayed Miller, to the point where he was starting to play more anyway.

With Spacek and Gill out of the lineup, you can't simply take away Subban's 5v5 time.

Subban and Gorges are the only two defencemen on this team capable of playing against the other team's number 1 line.

Does anyone want to see Diaz, Weber, or Emelin matching up against Tomas Vanek and Derek Roy? It would be a 4 or 5 point night for those guys.