Bruins vs Habs, Nov. 21, 7:30 PM EST

dlbalr

Thanks for letting me know.

It's still a frustrating loss against a divisional rival (the most hated one!) and I'm always scared that we wasted a really good game tonight. Our boys played well enough to get the win, but we come out of it without a single goal or a point. That's the frustrating part of it. I'm scared that they'll come out flat in the next game, and they're gonna get a real ass whoopin' and fall even further behind.

Cole apparently had an skate sharpening issue or equipment issue of some kind and darche was forced to play the first PP in his place. Add in that time and he ends up with more than Gomez overall. Either way for some reason he wasn't available for the PP on the first Pou penalty.

Darche was forced to play the PP :wall: should he really be the first choice if COle isn't available :wall:

• Upvote 1

Well it wasn't the most entertaining of games, but it was a solid effort by our boys. The result could have went either way, and since it was against the champs/hottest team in the league, I can accept it. I didn't really notice any plays or players that stood out as being bad. I guess the only thing I can complain about is why in the F Darche was on the first PP unit in the second. I mean, in what frigging world does he play on any powerplay for any team ever? He probably didn't even play on his peewee house league powerplay. There are 11 forwards, 6 defensemen, a backup goalie and the 2 waterboys that I would rather have on there than him. Oh, and can we not put Subban on the first unit while we are at it? He only has a cannon shot, creativity, can rush it up the ice, gain the blueline, good at keeping it in the zone on clearing attempts and excellent passing. But other than that not much.

Just read the post above which explains the Darche selection. But still, come on.

Edited by illWill

I can't be the only one who hasn't been impressed by Subban on the powerplay this season. So many posters here and elsewhere calling for more PP icetime for him, but I've seen more poor decisions on his part than good decisions. Has he even got a shot to the net yet with the man advantage? His shot is either blocked or wide or telegraphed to the goalie so much in advance he could mail in notice.

Also, more PP time for him means more 5on5 time for Weber and Diaz. No thank you! We should talk more PP time for Subban when he's A) earned it, and B) not relied upon as a defensive stalwart on a very green D line.

• Upvote 1

I am really liking the way Emelin has played the last couple of games. It's great having someone who can smash the opposition and they need to look out for. Maybe just my dodgy memory, but I can't remember the habs having someone like that since Komiserak left.

I can't be the only one who hasn't been impressed by Subban on the powerplay this season. So many posters here and elsewhere calling for more PP icetime for him, but I've seen more poor decisions on his part than good decisions. Has he even got a shot to the net yet with the man advantage? His shot is either blocked or wide or telegraphed to the goalie so much in advance he could mail in notice.

Also, more PP time for him means more 5on5 time for Weber and Diaz. No thank you! We should talk more PP time for Subban when he's A) earned it, and B) not relied upon as a defensive stalwart on a very green D line.

I don't think anyone has been impressive on the PP this year thus far. But keep in mind Subban has 57 shots and only 1 goal, many of those shots on the PP. Had a couple of those pucks went in, there would be no question he'd be on the first unit. As long as he keeps shooting, good things will happen. He also brings other intangibles to the equation other than the shot from the point. He is ahead of Weber/Diaz in breaking out from the defensive zone, gaining the zone if need be and battles on the boards when he pinches down low. And by "earning" the top spot as you say he needs to do, do you mean having scored 14 goals last year, while the rest of the defensemen tonight had a combined total of 2? If so, then he's earned it.

As far as his top line 5 on 5 responsibilities go, he can still do that by playing on the top unit. I mean, if he plays on the second unit, he is still playing almost the same minutes when both units get a crack at it. Playing on the powerplay isn't as tiresome as 5 on 5. He should be playing on the top unit, shift change if it fails halfway through, then rest up to be ready to matchup against whomever Martin wants him to. So I don't really see how Weber/Diaz would be getting more difficult even strength assignments and playing more minutes, as you say.

Agreed 100% on both points. Well said. He's not hitting the net the way he did last year, and his D is needed.

I am really liking the way Emelin has played the last couple of games. It's great having someone who can smash the opposition and they need to look out for. Maybe just my dodgy memory, but I can't remember the habs having someone like that since Komiserak left.

Komisarek was still a much bigger man so when he laid the body I think it hurt a hell of alot more but you are right. I have been impressed with his development. He has learned to move the puck much quicker, to make the simple plays and to take the hit when there but otherwise stand his ground positionally. I truly hope the team sees what he can bring and ultimately decides to keep him in the line-up with the return of our veterans.

Agreed 100% on both points. Well said. He's not hitting the net the way he did last year, and his D is needed.

It's also natural for these guys to regress in year 2. I mean look at the ads, commercials and notability that PK got last year and in the off season. He is a kid with Swagger who likely had his head swell a little bit. He is still often trying to make the cute plays instead of simple plays and it often hurts us. None the less he is just a kid learning what is arguably the hardest position to learn out of junior. I am glad he is struggling because this will ultimately make him better.

I agree with that. P.K. doesn't deserve more PP icetime right now. He has to learn not to telegraph his slapshot like he does most of the time. No need to go for the big blast when you can make a quick shot and hit the net. Let him on the bench a little bit; it will give him something to think about.

I agree with that. P.K. doesn't deserve more PP icetime right now. He has to learn not to telegraph his slapshot like he does most of the time. No need to go for the big blast when you can make a quick shot and hit the net. Let him on the bench a little bit; it will give something to think about.

Sergio Momesso said it best.....Larry Murphy racked up alot of points in this league and had one of the softest shots in the game. Forget the blast, place the puck with less velocity or with a wrist shot and let the forwards deflect shots or dig out rebounds.

I don't think anyone has been impressive on the PP this year thus far. But keep in mind Subban has 57 shots and only 1 goal, many of those shots on the PP. Had a couple of those pucks went in, there would be no question he'd be on the first unit. As long as he keeps shooting, good things will happen. He also brings other intangibles to the equation other than the shot from the point. He is ahead of Weber/Diaz in breaking out from the defensive zone, gaining the zone if need be and battles on the boards when he pinches down low. And by "earning" the top spot as you say he needs to do, do you mean having scored 14 goals last year, while the rest of the defensemen tonight had a combined total of 2? If so, then he's earned it.

As far as his top line 5 on 5 responsibilities go, he can still do that by playing on the top unit. I mean, if he plays on the second unit, he is still playing almost the same minutes when both units get a crack at it. Playing on the powerplay isn't as tiresome as 5 on 5. He should be playing on the top unit, shift change if it fails halfway through, then rest up to be ready to matchup against whomever Martin wants him to. So I don't really see how Weber/Diaz would be getting more difficult even strength assignments and playing more minutes, as you say.

Solid points. I'll do my best to respond to all of them.

I agree that no one has been 'lights out' on the powerplay this season, and under that logic PK does deserve as many chance on the top line as anyone.

You are also correct in that his 1.8 shooting percentage is unlikely to be that low the entire season.

As for breaking out of the defensive zone, PK makes it look pretty like Kovalev but the end result of his rushes are a lot like...Kovalev: they die at the opposition blue line. Right now the only player who can effectively gain the offensive end on the powerplay is Gomez. There is something to be said about letting the kid learn though.

14 goals last year means very little about this year. He's doing a lot of things wrong and struggling offensively. Thankfully, the sophomore slump hasn't gone to his defensive game, which has been excellent since a few early season bumps.

Playing on the top line would give him a brief rest before going out for a 5on5 shift, true... but the 1st unit usually stays out longer than the 2nd unit. I'd wager that unless the 2nd unit goes out first and hems the opposition in for longer than usual, the icetime for the PP units tends to be 1:30 for 1st unit, 30 seconds for 2nd unit. That extra icetime will add up on PK.

Wait till Markov, Gill and Spacek are back to eat up minutes with Gorges. Then I think you'll see PK's 5on5 time go down and PP time go up (and subsequently, Diaz and Weber's icetime go way down overall).

AM I the only one who thought Emelin was awesome last night? His hits and bumps are very strong. More people lie down after a hit by him! I really think him and Cole are just what the doctor ordered against teams like Boston and Philly. He leveled Krecji, and Pouliot and drew the retaliation penalty on pouliot. The other guy that impressed me was St. Denis. I heard about how great he was playing, but I couldn't see it. Last night, I saw some smart plays by him, that should make him a calll up in the future. I know Martin loves Diaz, but I am really scared that Emelin will go down when All the defensemen return. I like him a lot, and want to see him stay a while. He makes his share of mistakes, but the hitting is nice to see. It digs into the psyche of other players.

Emelin is certainly much improved. But he also needs continued coaching. The odd game in the pressbox and taking it slowly won't hurt him.

One thing with the pressbox, is that it is actually the best way to teach a young player proper positioning when he is doing it wrong. The bird's eye view of the ice changes perspective and gives him a good look at the proper way to do things.

I think he'll see press box time, but I want to see him rotated in and out of the lineup even when its healthy. I see 50-55 games for him this year, and a full time spot next season.

Emelin is certainly much improved. But he also needs continued coaching. The odd game in the pressbox and taking it slowly won't hurt him.

One thing with the pressbox, is that it is actually the best way to teach a young player proper positioning when he is doing it wrong. The bird's eye view of the ice changes perspective and gives him a good look at the proper way to do things.

I think he'll see press box time, but I want to see him rotated in and out of the lineup even when its healthy. I see 50-55 games for him this year, and a full time spot next season.

I have no issue with the press box. My fear is that he ends up in AHL. I don't think this will happen though. Spacek has proven to be very soft in the last few years with regards to injuries, and I think the old fella is content to heal and hang out with his family at this stage. Let him have some press box time too, I say/

That only works if he has a coach beside him teaching him and instructing him as the game develops.

That only works if he has a coach beside him teaching him and instructing him as the game develops.

I think that will come once Markov is back in the lineup...

On the Markov front, he is skating today in a white jersey meaning he will take part in the team scrimmages. That means he is tantalizingly close to returning.

As well as Emelin has started playing of late, I think his game will go to another level once Markov is in the lineup. I think Marky will take him under his wing, the same way Kovalev did for Markov, and Emelin will be a better player for it.

Moreover, I think it will just help his adjust quicker...

I think that will come once Markov is back in the lineup...

On the Markov front, he is skating today in a white jersey meaning he will take part in the team scrimmages. That means he is tantalizingly close to returning.

As well as Emelin has started playing of late, I think his game will go to another level once Markov is in the lineup. I think Marky will take him under his wing, the same way Kovalev did for Markov, and Emelin will be a better player for it.

Moreover, I think it will just help his adjust quicker...

Will Martin dress Emelin ahead of Weber or Diaz though? Gorges, Subban, Spacek, Gill, Markov, and who is the 6th guy? Is it Emelin, Campoli, Weber or Diaz?

For me it is:

Markov-Emelin

Gorges-Subban

Gill-Campoli

AM I the only one who thought Emelin was awesome last night? His hits and bumps are very strong. More people lie down after a hit by him! I really think him and Cole are just what the doctor ordered against teams like Boston and Philly. He leveled Krecji, and Pouliot and drew the retaliation penalty on pouliot. The other guy that impressed me was St. Denis. I heard about how great he was playing, but I couldn't see it. Last night, I saw some smart plays by him, that should make him a calll up in the future. I know Martin loves Diaz, but I am really scared that Emelin will go down when All the defensemen return. I like him a lot, and want to see him stay a while. He makes his share of mistakes, but the hitting is nice to see. It digs into the psyche of other players.

No you're not. I also thought he played a good game. And yes, his physical play is very refreshing. We haven't seen those kinds of hits since Komisarek left.

I just hope Emelin can play at least 50 games this year. Next year, Spacek won't be back and Gill might not either. Emelin should be able to play a full season next year.

I think his game will go to another level once Markov is in the lineup. I think Marky will take him under his wing, the same way Kovalev did for Markov, and Emelin will be a better player for it.

Just like markov did for Komisarek. Look how far his game has dropped since he no longer plays with Markov. Also, having someone he can talk to in Russian will definitely help him adapt to the NHL and North America.

Will Martin dress Emelin ahead of Weber or Diaz though? Gorges, Subban, Spacek, Gill, Markov, and who is the 6th guy? Is it Emelin, Campoli, Weber or Diaz?

For me it is:

Markov-Emelin

Gorges-Subban

Gill-Campoli

Campoli? Not a chance, a depth player at best isnt he.

Even Gill is not missed and i think the PK has improved with both he and Spacek out.

Will be crowded come christmas time and i see Diaz, St. Denis and Campoli in the AHL.

Very entertaining game and 2 very equal teams, but Thomas is one good goalie and stole that one.

When is the big Belarusian coming back?? I miss his stumbling and fumbling around out there, along with his big hits and shot.

Campoli played extremely well as a depth guy for Chicago last year and he is better with the puck then Spacek or even Diaz or Weber. I would definitely be playing him if everyone is healthy.

Campoli is a bit of a wild card, isn't he? He's had stretches as a significant contributor and other stretches as a mediocre depth defenceman. High-profile giveaway notwithstanding, he was major element of the Hawks' blueline down the stretch and into the playoffs and is only 27 - conceivably only now rounding into his mature game. Clearly the Habs' brass thinks enough of him that they were counting on him to bolster the PP and tide us over until Markov's return. My feeling is that, assuming he comes back at 100%, there will be times this year and into the playoffs (if we make 'em) where we will be very glad to have him. That's not to say he'll be top-4 or even dress every night, necessarily.

I guess it depends whether Gorges and Spacek and Emelin go to the right side or if they ultimately keep Weber or Diaz because of that right handed shot. Gorges has looked extremely good playing on the left so I am hesitant to move him back to the right. Some guys are going to be unhappy or just playing out of position.