Canadiens @ Hurricanes - Nov. 23/11

bar

Yes, so many things that this coaching staff does makes me scratch my head. I just don't get it. The Plek experiment has been failing all season. There are two teams that have let in four short-handed goals against in the league (The Devils and Habs) and BOTH use a forward on the point on the PP (Plek and Elias). Conicidence?

Not at all. I love Pleks, but even I get the sense from him that he just doesn't like playing the point either. And I don't blame him. The man does everything but play goalie.

Markov better come back quickly.

Not at all. I love Pleks, but even I get the sense from him that he just doesn't like playing the point either. And I don't blame him. The man does everything but play goalie.

Markov better come back quickly.

Ya I think Plek will breath a HUGE sigh of relief once Markov is back.

The thing is that Plek's playmaking skills are best used down low...he is actually one of the best on the team making plays down low. The ideal, imo, would be Plek, Cammalleri and Pacioretty or Cole on the first wave up front, with Weber and Subban at the point.

I'm still not sure why P.K. is on the second wave.

On wave two, they should have Diaz and Spacek at the point with Cole(or Patches) Gionta and Eller or DD.

Seems pretty clear to see, at least to me it does.

Question is who is paired with markov on the PP. He is most effective when feeding someone on the right point. You will be the shooter?

For me, it's P.K....

He and Markov played the point together, albeit briefly, and looked uber dangerous. I'm still not understanding why Weber gets the 1st wave over P.K.

If Subban isn't hitting the net, perhaps the coaches should try, well, coaching him. Novel thought, I know...

Ya I think Plek will breath a HUGE sigh of relief once Markov is back.

The thing is that Plek's playmaking skills are best used down low...he is actually one of the best on the team making plays down low. The ideal, imo, would be Plek, Cammalleri and Pacioretty or Cole on the first wave up front, with Weber and Subban at the point.

I'm still not sure why P.K. is on the second wave.

On wave two, they should have Diaz and Spacek at the point with Cole(or Patches) Gionta and Eller or DD.

Seems pretty clear to see, at least to me it does.

For me, it's P.K....

He and Markov played the point together, albeit briefly, and looked uber dangerous. I'm still not understanding why Weber gets the 1st wave over P.K.

If Subban isn't hitting the net, perhaps the coaches should try, well, coaching him. Novel thought, I know...

I personally think thats a horrible combination. Markov is most effective on the PP when he is playing the left point. When he was there his #1 option was a pass to the left point for a Souray, Schneider or Bergeron blast. If that was taken away then he would go for the cross ice pass for a Kovalev 1-tmer. That's what made our PP effective.

If he is paired with PK then it means Markov playing the right side of the PP where he has spent very little time. It also eliminates the cross ice pass to a 1-timing Cammalleri for instance or both players play their respective sides ultimately eliminating the the 1-timer.

We need a left handed D-man with a big shot for Markov to be most effective.

I personally think thats a horrible combination. Markov is most effective on the PP when he is playing the left point. When he was there his #1 option was a pass to the left point for a Souray, Schneider or Bergeron blast. If that was taken away then he would go for the cross ice pass for a Kovalev 1-tmer. That's what made our PP effective.

If he is paired with PK then it means Markov playing the right side of the PP where he has spent very little time. It also eliminates the cross ice pass to a 1-timing Cammalleri for instance or both players play their respective sides ultimately eliminating the the 1-timer.

We need a left handed D-man with a big shot for Markov to be most effective.

Why? You can still have Markov playing the left side and make P.K. switch hit...it would set him up nicely for the 1-timer. I think it would work well...the other option is to share the wealth, and have Markov anchoring the 1st unit with P.K. anchoring the 2nd...

I still have NP with a righty playing with Markov...I think it lends to a good 1-timer...

Why? You can still have Markov playing the left side and make P.K. switch hit...it would set him up nicely for the 1-timer. I think it would work well...the other option is to share the wealth, and have Markov anchoring the 1st unit with P.K. anchoring the 2nd...

I still have NP with a righty playing with Markov...I think it lends to a good 1-timer...

But one of the best plays we had in the arsenal was markov fake shot and cross ice for a 1-timer. This play which was so effective for us will be eliminated. Personally I would go with Markov and Emelin/Spacek/Campoli on the point and then use PK on the second unit with Weber.

I really would hate to see amrkopv play on the wrong side and effective eliminate his options.

I don't mind Markov playing on the right point... at least to try it out.

I know he played there with Tanguay, and it didn't work at all, but the difference was Tanguay was the passer and Markov the shooter.... now Markov has switched places, but is still the passer.

If you watch our current PP set up with Plekanec... the right point guy isn't even on the right side of the ice anyway... its more of an umbrella with him playing in the middle and Weber (would switch it to Subban IMO)... playing in the faceoff circle closer to the net, and Cammalleri in the same spot on the other side.

I think Markov would be fine in the middle of the ice at the top of the umbrella, where he'd have options on both sides for one timers...

But one of the best plays we had in the arsenal was markov fake shot and cross ice for a 1-timer. This play which was so effective for us will be eliminated. Personally I would go with Markov and Emelin/Spacek/Campoli on the point and then use PK on the second unit with Weber.

I really would hate to see amrkopv play on the wrong side and effective eliminate his options.

Yes, but I'm still advocating for Markov on the left side...that's back door pass to him pinching WAS a huge weapon. Keep him on the left side and P.K. or Weber on the right.

What's the problem there?

I don't mind Markov playing on the right point... at least to try it out.

I know he played there with Tanguay, and it didn't work at all, but the difference was Tanguay was the passer and Markov the shooter.... now Markov has switched places, but is still the passer.

If you watch our current PP set up with Plekanec... the right point guy isn't even on the right side of the ice anyway... its more of an umbrella with him playing in the middle and Weber (would switch it to Subban IMO)... playing in the faceoff circle closer to the net, and Cammalleri in the same spot on the other side.

I think Markov would be fine in the middle of the ice at the top of the umbrella, where he'd have options on both sides for one timers...

Agreed...either that or mostly on the left side. I think that would work well...

But if Markov is on the left side then where is the 1 timer to Subban? Basically means having to take the pass, take a second or 2 and then shoot ultimately allowing the goalie time to get in position.

But if Markov is on the left side then where is the 1 timer to Subban? Basically means having to take the pass, take a second or 2 and then shoot ultimately allowing the goalie time to get in position.

Ah yes, I didn't understand what you were saying...my bad...

That's what happens when you're trying to feed the baby at the same time!

Bottom line is that, yes, Markov has to be on the left side. That cross ice pass to his down-low is a killer. When he was playing, teams would often cheat in that direction opening up Cammalleri low right side for a 1-timer.

When Markov is on the PP, there are SO many more options...right now there are few which is why I think Plek should be down low and there should be two D-men on the point.

Ah yes, I didn't understand what you were saying...my bad...

That's what happens when you're trying to feed the baby at the same time!

Bottom line is that, yes, Markov has to be on the left side. That cross ice pass to his down-low is a killer. When he was playing, teams would often cheat in that direction opening up Cammalleri low right side for a 1-timer.

When Markov is on the PP, there are SO many more options...right now there are few which is why I think Plek should be down low and there should be two D-men on the point.

Dude I know the feeling. My boy is sick and my daughter has a fever and a wicked cough.

Personally I want to see a couple of our guys packaged for a bigger return instead of dealing 1 guy for a 3rd, demoting this guy etc.... Given Markov we really need a left handed shooter with a cannon of a shot. Unless Pleks stays on the point and ultimately becomes a shooter?