Comic Book Thread; Online Comics as Well

Colin

Alright, here you go Jets!

So what's with Marvel? They're cancelling virtually everything that's not within their core character set and instead increasing those titles and putting out existing ones more often. Seems they're going to be working with only a handful of writers as well, so anyone interested in the industry better look elsewhere. Now, as a business model they expect to make more money this way, but in terms of increasing the exposure of the industry, this is a giant step backwards. If comics want to continue the movie trend of getting more mainstream, I think they're going to have to create great comics that aren't just superheroes.

Those cancellations really piss me off and it doesn't seem to stop. So far they've hacked

- Alpha Flight (2 months after it gets announced as an ongoing. WTF)

- Black Panther

- Daken

- X-23

- Ghost Rider (this one only got 3 issues before it was cancelled!)

- Punisher MAX

- Iron Man 2.0

They also announced Deadpool will be coming to an end in February as well. The one that kills me is Alpha Flight. But if you look at the dates of the announcements, you can see DC's reboot had something to do with it. Alpha Flight gets announced as an ongoing in late August, right before the reboot is supposed to start. It gets cancelled in mid October, right after DC's sales numbers for September are announced. I was amazed at how well DC's reboot went over. It was the first time they did better than Marvel in what? 5 years I think?

If you want the future of comics (and this has pros and cons) then look towards digital distribution. Both the big companies are headed there in a big way. I hopped on board in September, bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1. I agree with all the cons people bring up (most just relate to nostalgia though) but I like it and think it will make things much more accessible. To just have an app at home instead of hunting down a store should make a world of difference. Though I guess you can argue tablets are still a niche product right now as well.

And was just informed this morning that this week is the last issue of Herc. :wall:

Who the hell is left to write about? Iron Man, Cap, the FF, Spidey and the X-Men. That's it. Jesus. Oh and Hulk. But it's just their A-Listers now, how come no smaller character is getting a push? Bring Ms.Marvel back or something. Ms.Marvel was really good. Marvel really needs a big time female hero though. DC has Wonder Woman, Marvel has nobody (and no Black Widow doesn't count even though she's in the movies)

Anyway Colin, read something so we can talk about storylines. Or just watch the new X-Men or something. Just watched First Class the other day. If you consider it is in fact part of the other movies, the whole timeline is shot to hell. But it's still a good movie. But setting it in the early 60s and using Cyclops' little brother (while having him in his early 20s) makes no sense. If that's the case, Cyclops looks the exact same for about 40 years.

But then you throw in Wolverine where he's a kid and it's set AFTER First Class. Just...weird. Unless Bryan Singer wants to make that Wolverine movie non-canon since it's the only one he had nothing to do with.

As an aside, I also get annoyed when Cyclops' powers are shown as a laser or heat vision. There's no heat involved with him at all. He shouldn't be able to melt things. I can't remember if he melts stuff in the Singer movies but I know he heats up glass in Wolverine. Bugs me. But a lot about that Wolverine movie bugs me, thing was awful.

Oh right! They rebooted TMNT a few months back too, issue 4 came out today. Crazy good. Not they as in Marvel though, just they as in the general comic populace.

There, lots of stuff. Pick up on something Colin since I'm betting it's just you and me in here. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Shame Nolan won't do more. This is the kind of franchise that could go a long way. Still, once this is finished it'll be the new benchmark - perhaps for all comic movies (and the only one DC seems to get right) - and it'll be fun to see where the next Batman movie team will take the stories.

Shame Nolan won't do more. This is the kind of franchise that could go a long way. Still, once this is finished it'll be the new benchmark - perhaps for all comic movies (and the only one DC seems to get right) - and it'll be fun to see where the next Batman movie team will take the stories.

Supposedly the next time we see Batman after this one will be in a Justice League film. Chris Nolan has also said he'll stick around as producer for the rebooted Batman, same role he currently has with Man of Steel.

I was pissed Green Lantern did so poorly, I really want a Flash film. DC has even come out and said straight up that they're terrified of making a movie that isn't Bats or Supes. Even their animated movies, they're basically all Superman and Batman.

Supposedly the next time we see Batman after this one will be in a Justice League film. Chris Nolan has also said he'll stick around as producer for the rebooted Batman, same role he currently has with Man of Steel.

I was pissed Green Lantern did so poorly, I really want a Flash film. DC has even come out and said straight up that they're terrified of making a movie that isn't Bats or Supes. Even their animated movies, they're basically all Superman and Batman.

Yeah, they need to find someone who can take one of their lesser characters and put together something both character driven, but also intense, intelligent and totally fun. Kinda like the Iron Man films, actually (particularly number one). Joss Whedon anyone? I need to sit down and make a list of all the comic movies so I can evaluate them all and buy the bulk of 'em.

Yeah, they need to find someone who can take one of their lesser characters and put together something both character driven, but also intense, intelligent and totally fun. Kinda like the Iron Man films, actually (particularly number one). Joss Whedon anyone? I need to sit down and make a list of all the comic movies so I can evaluate them all and buy the bulk of 'em.

Well lets see how Joss does with the Avengers before giving him more superhero stuff. I was going to say I'd like him to get another shot at trying to do Wonder Woman but Nicholas Refn has also been campaigning to do a Wonder Woman movie with Christina Hendricks. I'd rather see the latter. I think Hendricks would be a great Wonder Woman (the other suggestion I've liked is Gina Carano since apparently she can act)

I have a list of comic movies here on my laptop if you ever want me to shoot it your way. Well, superhero movies really, it doesn't have things like Road to Perdition or Scott Pilgrim. I rank comic movies as I see them so thats why I have it.

Well lets see how Joss does with the Avengers before giving him more superhero stuff. I was going to say I'd like him to get another shot at trying to do Wonder Woman but Nicholas Refn has also been campaigning to do a Wonder Woman movie with Christina Hendricks. I'd rather see the latter. I think Hendricks would be a great Wonder Woman (the other suggestion I've liked is Gina Carano since apparently she can act)

I have a list of comic movies here on my laptop if you ever want me to shoot it your way. Well, superhero movies really, it doesn't have things like Road to Perdition or Scott Pilgrim. I rank comic movies as I see them so thats why I have it.

Yeah, I'll take that list! acf@aconcernedfan.com Love to have a list like that, and I can build on the other types of comic fare you don't have when and if I get around to seeing those kinds of films. Maybe I can go all BTH and criticize every one of them for being pedantic or clumsy, or not at all artful. :D

Here's a thought (that'll never come to pass), Tarantino does the X-Men circa the Claremont era. You know, with Wolvie, Nightcrawler, and Colossus drinking and carousing etc? The team is always on the run, and he can get into his whole dialogue train while having the team on the run from three main adversaries. That'd make for awesome comic movie watching. lol

Sent

And that could be interesting. Sort of Inglourious Basterds with mutants instead of the Basterds. But that just reminds me they killed Nightcrawler last year. I miss him. =(

David Fincher has been giving his ideas on Spider-Man while promoting Dragon Tattoo. I feel like Sony really missed out by not picking him. He would've been like Matthew Vaughn and not followed comic canon much but I think he would've made a great film. Said he would've just jumped straight to Spidey being an adult and would've killed Gwen Stacy. We'll see if Webb has the balls to kill her but somehow I doubt it.

Actually I just thought of this Colin, (and yes I know thinking of this at 11 pm is weird) I didn't include any of the animated superhero movies on that list either. I only think of this because we were talking about how DC generally doesn't know what they're doing outside of Batman.

If you don't feel like a manchild watching animated movies, check most of DC's out. They're almost all fantastic. And they've recently started doing 10 minute shorts for lesser known characters. So far they've done shorts for Captain Marvel/Black Adam, Jonah Hex, Spectre, Green Arrow and Catwoman. As for the actual movies, the only ones I didn't like was Batman: Gotham Knight and the two Justice League movies. Best one would be Batman: Under the Red Hood. The Superman/Batman ones are really good too, mostly because they retain the voice cast from the DC Animated Universe. So you've got Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly and Clancy Brown all back.

Don't watch Marvel's though, they're all terrible. I made the mistake of buying most of them without watching them beforehand. The only tolerable one is Dr.Strange.

Actually I just thought of this Colin, (and yes I know thinking of this at 11 pm is weird) I didn't include any of the animated superhero movies on that list either. I only think of this because we were talking about how DC generally doesn't know what they're doing outside of Batman.

If you don't feel like a manchild watching animated movies, check most of DC's out. They're almost all fantastic. And they've recently started doing 10 minute shorts for lesser known characters. So far they've done shorts for Captain Marvel/Black Adam, Jonah Hex, Spectre, Green Arrow and Catwoman. As for the actual movies, the only ones I didn't like was Batman: Gotham Knight and the two Justice League movies. Best one would be Batman: Under the Red Hood. The Superman/Batman ones are really good too, mostly because they retain the voice cast from the DC Animated Universe. So you've got Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly and Clancy Brown all back.

Don't watch Marvel's though, they're all terrible. I made the mistake of buying most of them without watching them beforehand. The only tolerable one is Dr.Strange.

Good call. I've actually been enjoying Clone Wars because it's so well done and I was considering some of the comic animations as well. Was that Iron Man Extremis thing any good?

And I think comics all the time! ;-) Actually got an email tonight from Sideshow Collectibles and am thinking of getting the gorgeous Stormtrooper.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=7180&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+BUY+NOW+-+The+Stormtrooper+Premium+Format+Figure%21&utm_content=Image+-+BUY+NOW+-+The+Stormtrooper+Premium+Format+Figure%21&utm_campaign=122211news#!prettyPhoto/1/

What do you mean for Extremis? The motion comic? I don't really watch motion comics, the story itself is fantastic though. Big fan of Warren Ellis.

All of the animated comic shows on right now are A+ as well. Young Justice and Avengers. The pilot for the new Green Lantern show aired a couple weeks ago as well and while I still hate the animation style (it's this weird lazy 90s CGI style, sort of reminiscent of Reboot), the show itself was great. Really excited for season 2 of Avengers, last I checked they still hadn't announced an official date but it should start soon. February I'm guessing.

Also the Thundercats reboot that aired over the summer. Ridiculously good. Great cast.

And because I'm pissed they cancelled it solely so Disney could do their own version, I'm going to mention Spectacular Spider-Man. Ended it on a giant cliffhanger, it was done by the creator of Gargoyles (don't know if anyone else will remember that show), it was great. WAY better than the 90s Spider-Man.

• 3 weeks later...

DCnU sees it's first cuts. OMAC, Blackhawks, Men of War, Hawk & Dove and Mister Terrific have all been cancelled to be replaced by Earth 2 (the Justice Society returns), World's Finest (a series starring Huntress and Power Girl) and some other crap I won't read.

I didn't mind Hawk & Dove but I'm not particularly sad any of these are going, especially since PG is getting another ongoing.

And in movie news, Gina Carano would be open to playing Wonder Woman

http://collider.com/gina-carano-wonder-woman/137582/

Get it done, WB. Her or Hendricks.

DCnU sees it's first cuts. OMAC, Blackhawks, Men of War, Hawk & Dove and Mister Terrific have all been cancelled to be replaced by Earth 2 (the Justice Society returns), World's Finest (a series starring Huntress and Power Girl) and some other crap I won't read.

Didn't John Byrne take a run at OMAC in the 90's? I seem to recall reading those somewhere. Maybe I've got my series mixed.

He did a 4 issue mini.

This OMAC was weird. This guy gets infected somehow and can turn into this giant blue monster with a mohawk who can barely talk by saying "Omactivate". He has a guide named Brother Eye who is basically just a satellite and can hack into any electronic on Earth. They're constantly on the run from Checkmate. Checkmate just brought in S.H.A.D.E who sent Frankenstein after him and they had a big throw down.

It was basically the Incredible Hulk with computers. Kinda interesting but I won't miss it.