Boudreau Canned

Habsfan84

The Washington Capitals have fired coach Bruce Boudreau, who won 200 games faster than any coach in modern NHL history but stumbled regularly in the playoffs despite a talented lineup featuring two-time league MVP Alex Ovechkin.

Boudreau was replaced by former Capitals captain Dale Hunter, who was scheduled to lead Monday's practice and make his debut behind the bench Tuesday night when Washington hosts the St. Louis Blues to begin a three-game homestand.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381460

Did not see this coming one bit. Hunter is a good coach down with London but with the amount of praise that Boudreau gets I never thought this would happen.

Wow. I reckon this'll spark Ovie's game and make for some more exciting hockey on his part... Whether it'll lead to more team success remains to be seen.

Good for Muller. I think he will do well. Sad that he wont coach the Habs. We like to mentor them and then we allow them to go to other teams. Two good coaches got fired today though. Boudreau wont be out a job long. He'll be signed this summer.

I'm not surprised one bit by the Boudreau thing. Ovechkin clearly had quit on him, and when The Franchise does that, you've got your death warrant. Beyond that, the fact remains Boudreau was a flop with a star-studded lineup.

(It didn't help that he came off like a total boob in the HBO special, although I am aware that editing goes a long way in constructing our impressions of what we see on TV).