New Practice Lines and what they likely mean

Commandant

The fourth line is fine IMO... especially when White is healthy.

Moen - Noko - White

with

Darche in the Pressbox

is a fine fourth line. Though an extra depth guy wouldn't hurt, i wouldn't sell the D for him either. Should be able to get one for a middling prospect. (similar to the Brock Trotter/Noko move).

I'm more concerned with the second line C spot

Good point, I hadn't thought that through. So, yeah, assuming health, the 4th is OK - keep all the D.

So essentially we're back at that age old question of a solid centre lacking in the organization. Think we can tempt Damphousse out of retirement? He might be an upgrade...

So essentially we're back at that age old question of a solid centre lacking in the organization. Think we can tempt Damphousse out of retirement? He might be an upgrade...

It really is a sorry saga. We threw away two quality #2 C in Ribeiro and Grabovski, and then threw away McDonagh to acquire a bona-fide #1A centreman who somehow forgot how to play hockey after one season with us. It's as if the Habs's #2C slot is some sort of Bermuda Triangle of hockey.

I'd be more than happy to package Desh and one of our surplus-to-requirement defenders and and in another pick or player to get the kind of centre we need, but I don't think anyone else in the NHL would want Desh, quite honestly.

As stated in the rumor thread... Paul Stastny and Bobby Ryan are two guys who might be on the market. I'd go after them, but the price is very steep.

In the Bargain Bin category...

Would anyone give Olli Jokinen a shot at the second line centre position as a rental.

Calgary will be looking to sell assets at the deadline, and he's a UFA come summer time.

If the price was cheap I wouldn't mind trying it. Would bring some of the size desperately needed.

If it doesn't work, its also merely a rental, and you could choose whether or not to make an offer prior to UFA, based on the results.

The other rental option out there on a struggling team is Saku Koivu, and I bet there would be very mixed reactions to that (strong support and strong criticism) for bringing him in for 2 months.

As stated in the rumor thread... Paul Stastny and Bobby Ryan are two guys who might be on the market. I'd go after them, but the price is very steep.

Would anyone give Olli Jokinen a shot at the second line centre position as a rental.

Calgary will be looking to sell assets at the deadline, and he's a UFA come summer time.

If the price was cheap I wouldn't mind trying it. Would bring some of the size desperately needed.

If it doesn't work, its also merely a rental, and you could choose whether or not to make an offer prior to UFA, based on the results.

The other rental option out there on a struggling team is Saku Koivu, and I bet there would be very mixed reactions to that (strong support and strong criticism) for bringing him in for 2 months.

I would LOVE to bring Koivu in for a last hurrah. He is also a playoff stud. A perfect choice.

I'd be more than happy to package Desh and one of our surplus-to-requirement defenders and and in another pick or player to get the kind of centre we need, but I don't think anyone else in the NHL would want Desh, quite honestly.

You certainly don't know what "dèche" means in french, don't you ?

As tantalizing as it sounds to be able to acquire a Stastny, Carter or Ryan, I just don't think that is going to happen. The Jokinen and Koivu's are probably more realistic than anything. How amazing would it be for Koivu to come back and finish his career as a Hab? I would love it as a fan, but bringing back a former captain might disrupt any current leadership in the dressing room.....or add to it, who knows? I just really can't see any big moves happening unless the team is struggling down the stretch. I'd be willing to trade draft picks because the cupboard is fairly stocked at the moment. I also wouldn't give up on the depth that we have to trade it for a big name player. That is one of the reasons why this group has been semi-successful in the playoffs.....depth. It isn't necessary to trade a 7th or 8th defensemen just for the sake of doing it. If history is any indication, those guys will be needed to contribute at some point. It definitely would be nice to have a star forward, but I think that the importance of depth is greatly underrated and shouldn't be overlooked. This team isn't far from contention, it just needs a healthy lineup, a couple guys to produce a little more (I'm sure they will) and if they make the playoffs, they are a scary team to play against.

I wouldn't. I've only heard bad things about this guy. He seems to be a cancer in the dressing room. Also, he might be a little bigger than our current centers, but this is the perfect example of a "big Guy" who plays small.

The other rental option out there on a struggling team is Saku Koivu

Had our current no. 1 center been a 6'2" power forward, I would say yes to Koivu in an instant. But we've been complaining for the past few seasons that one of the main reasons we can't seem to get far in the Playoffs is our lack of size up front. The Habs are just now starting to address this situation (Cole and MaxPac). Lets not take two steps back just cause we took one step forward on this issue.

As far as acquiring Stastney or Ryan...I'd love to pick up a young guy like Ryan, but I don't think we have anything Anaheim would want. (let's get one thing straight, Price, Subban and MaxPac are untouchables). So who's left? Cole? Gionta? Cammalleri?

Hey that wasn't bad. Pacioretty. Cammalleri. I will never remember cammie's spelling.

We try to help with that. There are a few wrong spellings of Cammalleri that will automatically correct itself to the proper spelling. That was set up at the request of a few posters who simply can't remember the spelling.

• Upvote 1

We try to help with that. There are a few wrong spellings of Cammalleri that will automatically correct itself to the proper spelling. That was set up at the request of a few posters who simply can't remember the spelling.

Thats what you call an excellent admin!

I wouldn't. I've only heard bad things about this guy. He seems to be a cancer in the dressing room. Also, he might be a little bigger than our current centers, but this is the perfect example of a "big Guy" who plays small.

Had our current no. 1 center been a 6'2" power forward, I would say yes to Koivu in an instant. But we've been complaining for the past few seasons that one of the main reasons we can't seem to get far in the Playoffs is our lack of size up front. The Habs are just now starting to address this situation (Cole and MaxPac). Lets not take two steps back just cause we took one step forward on this issue.

As far as acquiring Stastney or Ryan...I'd love to pick up a young guy like Ryan, but I don't think we have anything Anaheim would want. (let's get one thing straight, Price, Subban and MaxPac are untouchables). So who's left? Cole? Gionta? Cammalleri?

The thing with Koivu and Jokinen is that both of them are rentals for this year only.... I don't see it as taking a "step back" because its not like you are taking one of them over other options....

The issue i have is that the 3 guys we want to be a 2nd line Centre, none of them are good enough today, so I'd like to address that.

I actually think Koivu would fit in perfectly with the team culture. This would not have necessarily been the case in 2010 - we needed a new leadership core to step up, and having the old Alpha Male around might have impeded that - but Koivu is a winner, and bringing him into this room would only add to that win-or-die culture of guys like Gill, Gorges, and Gio. It's a great idea. Make it happen PG!!

Don't want stasny, to much money for his production. I wouldn't touch Joikinen with a 10 foot pole.

I actually think Koivu would fit in perfectly with the team culture. This would not have necessarily been the case in 2010 - we needed a new leadership core to step up, and having the old Alpha Male around might have impeded that - but Koivu is a winner, and bringing him into this room would only add to that win-or-die culture of guys like Gill, Gorges, and Gio. It's a great idea. Make it happen PG!!

I can't see Koivu wanting to come back - he should never have been let go in the first place, but really he is now suited for a 3rd line role. having said that he would still be an upgrade over Gomez. That's a deal I'd make Gomer for Koivu :D

Thats what you call an excellent admin!

I can't take the credit, it was set up back in 2009 before I took over as admin.

As to the original topic title, the new lines will mean nothing for a while. As much as Renaud Lavoie's openly campaigning for Leblanc's callup, I don't see it happening nor should it. If Markov can go, they can play Weber on the wing and, wait for it, move Darche into the top-9.

I can't take the credit, it was set up back in 2009 before I took over as admin.

As to the original topic title, the new lines will mean nothing for a while. As much as Renaud Lavoie's openly campaigning for Leblanc's callup, I don't see it happening nor should it. If Markov can go, they can play Weber on the wing and, wait for it, move Darche into the top-9.

You're right in that it will probably be Weber moved to fwd and Darche moved into Patches spot.

Id rather the team take this opportunity to break up the Gionta-Pleks combo and/or would rather see Palushaj in the top 9 than Darche.

You're right in that it will probably be Weber moved to fwd and Darche moved into Patches spot.

Id rather the team take this opportunity to break up the Gionta-Pleks combo and/or would rather see Palushaj in the top 9 than Darche.

I'd rather see us ice 4 players then see Darche take MaxPac's spot.

• Upvote 1

This is what I'd go with for the 3 games, assuming Weber's on the wing:

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cole

Moen-Eller-Gionta

Cammalleri-Desharnais-Palushaj

Darche-Nokelainen-Weber

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of those lines. The 4th is rather obvious while I want to try Desharnais and Palushaj together. Cammalleri needs to be moved down in the lineup to get him away from the top checkers to try and get him going. I want to keep Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn together but if that's the case, Cole goes onto his wrong wing. If I have to move someone to their wrong side, I'd rather it be Kostitsyn who has a lot more recent experience doing so.

2) My food suddenly tastes better. Colours seem more bright and lush.

Priceless. Couldn't agree more. The mere prospect of Markov back out there in a Habs uniform is enough to make me weepy.

And I cannot adequately describe how excited I am to see him play with Emelin. Imagine!!