IceCaps vs Hamilton, Dec. 2, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Help is on the way for the Bulldogs as Nathan Lawson, Ian Schultz, Gabriel Dumont, and Garrett Stafford are all expected to play after practicing the last couple of days. However, they face an IceCaps (wonder if Tim Horton's ever thought about sponsoring them...) squad who has yet to lose in regulation on the road this season.

button_stj.jpg

Active scoring leaders:

Goals: Jason King (8)

Assists: Machacek/Rosa (12)

+/-: Marco Rosa (+10)

PIMS: Patrice Cormier (28)

button_ham.jpg

Active scoring leaders:

Goals: Philip DeSimone (5)

Assists: Brian Willsie (9)

+/-: Ian Schultz (-1)

PIMS: ZacK FitzGerald (91)

Puck drop is at 7:30 PM EST and can be listened to by clicking this link: http://cham.player.amri.ca/

FitzGerald picks up another 12 minutes in penalties. I swear he was trying to get himself tossed after getting the 2 minute penalty. All he seems interested in tonight is trying to take penalties to pad his lead.

3-0 after 2.

So who starts the fire Clement Jodoin thread?

I think there's a better shot of him getting promoted (to satisfy the French coach quota in Montreal) than let go. That said, I wouldn't mind Wilson getting the top job.

4-0 now.

3-0 now. Looks like the streak is continuing. Aebischer has made some key saves too, quashing any Hamilton momentum.

Pardon? :P

Right now, does he even have a horse?

its true, with Leblanc up with the Habs lets look at the NHL prospects who played in the game last night for the Bulldogs

Alex Avtsin - best prospect on the team right now, but even he is a project

Joonas Nattinen - long shot Bottom line NHL prospect, a long term project playing his first season of AHL.

Gabriel Dumont - long shot Bottom line NHL prospect playing his first game in a month after an injury

Thats it. Thats all I see on the entire roster for guys I would think have any chance of becoming a regular at the NHL level.

The cupboard is bare.

its true, with Leblanc up with the Habs lets look at the NHL prospects who played in the game last night for the Bulldogs

Alex Avtsin - best prospect on the team right now, but even he is a project

Joonas Nattinen - long shot Bottom line NHL prospect, a long term project playing his first season of AHL.

Gabriel Dumont - long shot Bottom line NHL prospect playing his first game in a month after an injury

Thats it. Thats all I see on the entire roster for guys I would think have any chance of becoming a regular at the NHL level.

The cupboard is bare.

Next season they will have a bunch of defensive prospects!

Next season they will have a bunch of defensive prospects!

Plus Kristo, Gallagher, and Bournival... so the offense will get a boost too. Possible to add Quailer as well although he might stay for a senior year.

I think Palushaj and Leblanc are still legit NHL prospects... as is Nash on D.... but Hamilton doesn't have those guys right now.

Plus Kristo, Gallagher, and Bournival... so the offense will get a boost too. Possible to add Quailer as well although he might stay for a senior year.

I think Palushaj and Leblanc are still legit NHL prospects... as is Nash on D.... but Hamilton doesn't have those guys right now.

Kristo?

Is it not likely he'll go back for another season like Quailer?

Kristo?

Is it not likely he'll go back for another season like Quailer?

Habs wanted him to sign this summer and go to Hamilton but he chose to go back for a Junior season because he was so disappointed in his sophomore campaign and wanted a shot to be a first liner, and to chase the National Title.

I've heard its extremely likely that this is his last year in the NCAA and he'll make the jump this summer.

He might even play for the bulldogs down the stretch once UND's season ends. Though the Bulldogs having a "stretch" this year is becoming less and less likely.

Habs wanted him to sign this summer and go to Hamilton but he chose to go back for a Junior season because he was so disappointed in his sophomore campaign and wanted a shot to be a first liner, and to chase the National Title.

I've heard its extremely likely that this is his last year in the NCAA and he'll make the jump this summer.

He might even play for the bulldogs down the stretch once UND's season ends. Though the Bulldogs having a "stretch" this year is becoming less and less likely.

As he can declare himself a UFA after this year if he so chooses, he'd be nuts to stay for his final season of eligibility unless he has an injury or more or less falls off the face of the earth. I figure the Habs will be going all out to sign him the second his season ends.

As he can declare himself a UFA after this year if he so chooses, he'd be nuts to stay for his final season of eligibility unless he has an injury or more or less falls off the face of the earth. I figure the Habs will be going all out to sign him the second his season ends.

We have to hope he won't go the Blake Kessel route, but I don't think he will. He's gotta see that there is opportunity in Montreal if he plays well... there is a need for forward talent in our system. Plus he'll be playing with a buddy in Louis Leblanc.

You can say that again This is the most absolute awful Bulldogs team I have ever seen in the past 10 years :1vomit:

I tend to agree with you. I think several factors play into that. Injuries- when you start year the year with no hope of your best defensemen on both teams MIA for at least half the year. The Trotter trade looms large. They could have had Ben Maxwell do 4th line center duties for next to nothing. The tendency to give away picks to band-aid a borderline playoff team (Canadiens) is big. My favourite- cherry picking draft selections under the guise of picking the BPA.

I tend to agree with you. I think several factors play into that. Injuries- when you start year the year with no hope of your best defensemen on both teams MIA for at least half the year. The Trotter trade looms large. They could have had Ben Maxwell do 4th line center duties for next to nothing. The tendency to give away picks to band-aid a borderline playoff team (Canadiens) is big. My favourite- cherry picking draft selections under the guise of picking the BPA.

I can't agree with most of this.

1) The trotter trade also added a defenceman in Garrett Stafford who should be the number 1 Dman on the bulldogs.

2) Ben Maxwell has already been given up on by the Jets, plus I don't know that his skill set is one where he can be a fourth line center. Far too unwilling to be physically involved to centre such a line. Anaheim is giving him a chance right now, but I won't be surprised if he goes the way of Chipchura... its unfortunate because they both lost a ton of development due to injuries.

3) While Draft picks may have been traded away. Last year's 2nd rounders, and the 2010 2nd and 3rd rounders wouldn't even be in Hamilton right now. 2011 and 2010 Draft picks would still be in Junior or in College, so I don't buy that trading these draft picks away is what is hurting the Dogs today. The effect isn't seen yet. The most you'd be looking at is the 2007, 2008 and 2009 drafts, where we made 9 picks in 7 rounds, 5 picks in 7 rounds and 8 picks in 7 rounds.

4) On top of that for all the lamenting of picks traded away, the Habs have also recently acquired Lars Eller (1st rounder); Aaron Palushaj (2nd rounder); Michael Bournival and Ian Shultz (2 x 3rd rounders) and signed some talented undrafted kids such as Brendan Nash, David Desharnais, Andreas Engqvist, and Raphael Diaz; this has replenished the system for every single pick that has been lost such as Greg Nemisz.

What we are really seeing IMO is the natural cycle of things at the AHL level. The Habs have a ton of young players up with the big squad. Subban, Eller, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Weber, Diaz, Emelin, White, have all graduated into full time NHLers (though Diaz might come down at some point). Then you have Palushaj and Engqvist who have spent the majority of the year in Montreal due to injuries (Palushaj is down, and Engqvist should go down when healthy). You also have St. Denis and Leblanc up with the team due to all the injuries. At the AHL level you've also lost Nash. The talent level has been depleted. However this is part of the cycle as a huge influx of talent is happening next season. What has happened is that the last group of Bulldogs got real good, a little quicker than could have been expected. Most NHL teams do not have as many 1st and 2nd year players (especially on Defence) with the big club as the Habs have today. You've got a team where their old core has graduated and the new core hasn't gotten to the AHL yet.

• Upvote 1

I can't agree with most of this.

1) The trotter trade also added a defenceman in Garrett Stafford who should be the number 1 Dman on the bulldogs.

2) Ben Maxwell has already been given up on by the Jets, plus I don't know that his skill set is one where he can be a fourth line center. Far too unwilling to be physically involved to centre such a line. Anaheim is giving him a chance right now, but I won't be surprised if he goes the way of Chipchura... its unfortunate because they both lost a ton of development due to injuries.

3) While Draft picks may have been traded away. Last year's 2nd rounders, and the 2010 2nd and 3rd rounders wouldn't even be in Hamilton right now. 2011 and 2010 Draft picks would still be in Junior or in College, so I don't buy that trading these draft picks away is what is hurting the Dogs today. The effect isn't seen yet. The most you'd be looking at is the 2007, 2008 and 2009 drafts, where we made 9 picks in 7 rounds, 5 picks in 7 rounds and 8 picks in 7 rounds.

4) On top of that for all the lamenting of picks traded away, the Habs have also recently acquired Lars Eller (1st rounder); Aaron Palushaj (2nd rounder); Michael Bournival and Ian Shultz (2 x 3rd rounders) and signed some talented undrafted kids such as Brendan Nash, David Desharnais, Andreas Engqvist, and Raphael Diaz; this has replenished the system for every single pick that has been lost such as Greg Nemisz.

What we are really seeing IMO is the natural cycle of things at the AHL level. The Habs have a ton of young players up with the big squad. Subban, Eller, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Weber, Diaz, Emelin, White, have all graduated into full time NHLers (though Diaz might come down at some point). Then you have Palushaj and Engqvist who have spent the majority of the year in Montreal due to injuries (Palushaj is down, and Engqvist should go down when healthy). You also have St. Denis and Leblanc up with the team due to all the injuries. At the AHL level you've also lost Nash. The talent level has been depleted. However this is part of the cycle as a huge influx of talent is happening next season. What has happened is that the last group of Bulldogs got real good, a little quicker than could have been expected. Most NHL teams do not have as many 1st and 2nd year players (especially on Defence) with the big club as the Habs have today. You've got a team where their old core has graduated and the new core hasn't gotten to the AHL yet.

We can agree to disagree. Yes we did get a career AHLer in Stafford. We could have grabbed one off waivers, cost us nothing and been available to play in NHL if needed. Last I heard Ben was handling third line duties in Anahiem or LA(somewhere out west). When I talk about draft choices, I am speaking about over the years; of course last years choices don't come into play yet. Trading away picks- of course they can fill up roster with undrafted picks- and perhaps you can claim they have had a reasonable amount of success. In terms of specific names you have brought forward

Palushaj- not convinced he will ever be as good as Agostini

Eller -was a trade of player (Halak), not a pick

Shultz - has zero likelyhood of ever playing with the Canadiens

I get the cycle bit- absolutely accurate. I was only commenting on Lammy's blog concerning the state of the bulldogs now.