Kaberle to Montreal

Colin

If i was subban i would be concerned about resigning with a team where my coach would rather have me play like hal gill then Bobby Orr.

As far as my knowledge of spacek's makeup and health. He turned down numerous chances to go to a contender over the last three years - including Boston twice by invoking his NTC. Seems he would rather be on a sure loser then have a chance to win. As for his conditioning, Pierre Lebrun had reprted last week or the week before hoe Rutherford was desperate to move Kaberle and how after signing the 3 yr deal he came in fat and out of shape.

He was awful in Boston, who incidentally acquired him to help their PP. Their PP still sucked and they probably had the worst PP of any team that won the cup.

The canes have been on a decline ever since they started filling their roster with ex-leaf losers. Ditto with the flames who got raped on the phaneuf trade.

Well, we'll see. As to your first point, I don't believe that players see things that way. It took years for Montreal to shed its image as a 'loser' and start to attract UFAs - even after we had clearly begun to rebuild with promising young talent, players still stayed away; it was only after we started making the playoffs regularly that we became an attractive destination. I really doubt that players pay a whole lot of attention to the future cap situation of team X or Y. I think they look at whether that team is proactive about winning and has a quality core. If we look like a team in meltdown mode, we invite a flight of UFAs and disinterest in locking up from RFAs. This is not an iron law, of course, but it is a genuine danger.

Habs29, you appear to have a lot of first-hand personal knowledge about what kind of human being Kaberle is, not to mention his physical fitness. Never having met the man I am less confident that you in attesting to his work ethic or his body fat ratios. He is certainly 'soft' in the sense of not being a physical player. I don't think we acquired him in order to toughen up back there. You do mention that he is 'offensively skilled.' Since the power play is far and away the main reason why we are out of a playoff spot, it stands to reason that we should at least be cautiously happy to acquire an offensively skilled defenceman with a proven track record on the PP who, even in a supposedly horrible season last year, got 47 points (!).

Uh, just hearing that Montreal might be into LTIR in terms of the cap so another deal could be imminent. Suggested names thus far are Weber and Kostitsyn. Does this open up the possibility of using Kosty and a 1st to go out and get a desperately needed centre? Could be interesting days ahead.

That would be brilliant. Trade one of the top 4 plYers this season. PG would probably end up with another soft player no one wants like Penner or some injury prone like Hemsky.

Uh, just hearing that Montreal might be into LTIR in terms of the cap so another deal could be imminent. Suggested names thus far are Weber and Kostitsyn. Does this open up the possibility of using Kosty and a 1st to go out and get a desperately needed centre? Could be interesting days ahead.

If he had any clauses Montreal can choose to make them void after acquiring him, or choose to continue them.

They can't do that. If a player waives his NTC/NMC to go somewhere, it still is in effect for the duration of the contract with the acquiring team no matter what. I remember that specifically as I had to get in touch with one of my CBA contacts to clarify that one, the discussion about that came up on here a couple years ago. However, it's moot here anyway as Kaberle doesn't have a trade restriction in his deal.

Also, for anyone interested, the capsheet on the site is updated with the trade/St-Denis demotion.

Capgeek is showing the Habs are in LTIR but they're not. I've contacted the person who runs the site. The reason is St-Denis is still showing on the roster on that site.

If i was subban i would be concerned about resigning with a team where my coach would rather have me play like hal gill then Bobby Orr.

As far as my knowledge of spacek's makeup and health. He turned down numerous chances to go to a contender over the last three years - including Boston twice by invoking his NTC. Seems he would rather be on a sure loser then have a chance to win. As for his conditioning, Pierre Lebrun had reprted last week or the week before hoe Rutherford was desperate to move Kaberle and how after signing the 3 yr deal he came in fat and out of shape.

He was awful in Boston, who incidentally acquired him to help their PP. Their PP still sucked and they probably had the worst PP of any team that won the cup.

The canes have been on a decline ever since they started filling their roster with ex-leaf losers. Ditto with the flames who got raped on the phaneuf trade.

Well, Kaberle did get 11 points in 25 games for the Bruins in the playoffs. I agree that he didn't look all that great, but he DID get points, which is what we desperately need on the power play. As for his fitness and attitude, who knows. If he showed up out of shape then he has probably played himself into shape by this point, no?

Again: if we just look at it in pure hockey terms, it's a reasonable move to address what's by far the most glaring weakness on this team.

Incidentally, JM is NOT a deterrent to UFAs and there is no particular reason to think he will be a deterrent to our RFAs either. No offence, but this comment is based on your axiomatic, quasi-religious belief that JM is execrable in developing young players, not evidence.

Actually my viewpoint on our young RFA's resigning when they become UFA's is based on comments by young players like Maxpac, who blasted Martin last year prior to be being cled up. He went as far as saying he would rather stay in Hamilton then be called up to play on the 3rd/4th line as a checker.

Maxpac, ak46, obyrne and sk74 all have all said how lousy of a communicator Martin is.

Well, Kaberle did get 11 points in 25 games for the Bruins in the playoffs. I agree that he didn't look all that great, but he DID get points, which is what we desperately need on the power play. As for his fitness and attitude, who knows. If he showed up out of shape then he has probably played himself into shape by this point, no?

Again: if we just look at it in pure hockey terms, it's a reasonable move to address what's by far the most glaring weakness on this team.

Incidentally, JM is NOT a deterrent to UFAs and there is no particular reason to think he will be a deterrent to our RFAs either. No offence, but this comment is based on your axiomatic, quasi-religious belief that JM is execrable in developing young players, not evidence.

In the interest of continuing the debate....on local radio, Pierre McGuire just listed about 5 teams in dire need of help on defense. And that none expressed any interest in Kaberle. The reason? The contract. He said we won't be able to move it. He also seems to have doubts about his effectiveness on the power play. As he was brought in to help Boston's and didn't in any way, shape or form. So, we might have another bad contract on our hands, with young stars due for big raises.

There's no doubt that the deal is somewhat risky. If it works well, Gauthier will look like a genius; if not, it will haunt him and could cost him his job. We will see. For the moment I consider that Kaberle is an upgrade to Weber. With the addition of Campoli, we might have an improved PP while Markov is healing. Let's wait a little bit.

Lots of negativity in this thread. At least there's Commandant.. I like your view on the trade.

I'm really happy that Kaberle struggled mightily in the past year, because we were able to get him for only Spacek, a dmen that had no future in Montréal (his own word).

This is a player that the Bruins acquired at a very high price just a year ago, and a player that won the Cup just last season! (whatever contribution he had)

Kaberle is an elite offensive dmen and never could we have acquired him from Burke last year.

I love the Plekanec-Kaberle connection. Plekanec is our #1 guy. Kaberle is a plus for him. Kaberle is a plus for our dismal powerplay.

It's not because you have 1 bad year that you're done. I want to hope that he'll be an important part of our team for years to come.

When was the last time a Leafs star wore a Habs jersey? Will be odd for sure.

Let's hope that Kaberle is a bigger plus for us than Komi is for the Leafs :)

I still haven't come to any conclusions (early conclusions, anyhow) except to say that it's obviously a risky move which has the potential to really explode... or really pan out making the nay-sayers look pretty silly. I'll have more later this evening or tomorrow.

Last Leaf star to wear a Habs jersey would have to be Doug Gilmour from 2001-2003.

And Kaberle hasn't even had a full bad year yet.... he was at 38 pts in 58 games as pointed out by someone else, on the day he was traded to the Bruins.

I think it was a matter where he just was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole in Boston and Carolina.

I really don't think he forgot how to play hockey the day he was traded to Boston last February.

The big question... pretty much the only question i have is this. Is whatever worked in Toronto and didn't work in Boston and Carolina, is that x factor present in Montreal.

• Upvote 1

Last Leaf star to wear a Habs jersey would have to be Doug Gilmour from 2001-2003.

And Kaberle hasn't even had a full bad year yet.... he was at 38 pts in 58 games as pointed out by someone else, on the day he was traded to the Bruins.

I think it was a matter where he just was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole in Boston and Carolina.

I really don't think he forgot how to play hockey the day he was traded to Boston last February.

The big question... pretty much the only question i have is this. Is whatever worked in Toronto and didn't work in Boston and Carolina, is that x factor present in Montreal.

I will say yes playing with a lot of Euros

Toronto when he was his best lots of Euros

Boston no Euros well maybe like 2

Carolina like 2 or 3 and I think they are all fins I know there is that Fins and Skins line.

Kaberle best attribute is passing.

We do not have that and it's not to Kaberle to give a life to what they call power play in Montreal

and most of the players ahead will have a better confidence witk Kaberle at the point.

So it's all to the forwards now to take responsability of creating chances near the net.

Good move, in my opinion.

Kaberle was brutal on the Bruins last year, but he did start getting better as the playoffs wore on. You have to remember that he played with the leafs for a long time and it probably wasn't easy to fit in right away in Boston. First, he probably hated those pukes. :)

I am willing to see what he can do, but I do worry about the fact that we have this guy for two more years unless we can dump him. I don't think it will be that easy if he sucks. And if Markov is damaged goods, we will have 9Mill tied up in useless D.

Now, if Gomez game them both a lift to the airport and happened to go into a collapsing tunnel... problem solved. See, no worries, always a way out....

Kaberle was brutal on the Bruins last year, but he did start getting better as the playoffs wore on. You have to remember that he played with the leafs for a long time and it probably wasn't easy to fit in right away in Boston. First, he probably hated those pukes. :)

I am willing to see what he can do, but I do worry about the fact that we have this guy for two more years unless we can dump him. I don't think it will be that easy if he sucks. And if Markov is damaged goods, we will have 9Mill tied up in useless D.

Now, if Gomez game them both a lift to the airport and happened to go into a collapsing tunnel... problem solved. See, no worries, always a way out....

If Markov is damaged goods, he sits on LTIR... just like Marc Savard is doing in Boston... not a big deal.

By the way.. Markov now out until after the all-star break.. so no choice but to either blow the season or make this kind of trade.

I didn't want to go for a panic rental, but I feared we were gonna have to give up more prospects and picks to get a guy to fix the PP. I don't mind this at all. Hockey wise, we lost Spacek, not a piece of the future.

Markov now out until after the all-star break

Are you serious? where did you hear that?

Forget about that, I just saw it on tsn.ca

For all those complaining about cap space next year....

A realistic cost projection for the Habs on Defence.

Markov - 5.75

Kaberle - 4.25

Subban - 4.0 (guess, and i honestly think this number is high)

Gorges - 3.5 (seems fair)

Emelin - 2.0 (pretty big raise for an RFA with no arb rights, but KHL threat so he gets a decent deal).

Diaz - 1.0

Weber/Nash/St.Denis/UFA 7th Dman - 1.0million

Total = 21.5 million or basically the same as what we spent on the

Projected 10-11 defence core of Markov (5.75), Hamrlik (5.5), Spacek (3.83), Gill (2.5), Subban (.9) Gorges (1.2), ,and Obyrne (1)

add in wiz for half a season, and we spent more in 10-11

• Upvote 2

I don't think Subban will get 4 million. He'san RFA and he's making 875,000$ this year. He might get 3 million$, but not 4.

I agree... but I went purposely high on all our RFAs just better illustrate the point and not be accused of being too optomistic.

I agree... but I went purposely high on all our RFAs just better illustrate the point and not be accused of being too optomistic.

Ahh, I see! ;)

i think subban signs the exact deal we gave price this season 2 years 2.5 million per.. then we splash on him. price is getting a 5/6 years at 6 million.. gorges 3-3.5 and AK 4.5 if patches breaks 30 he'll get a 2 year 4 million

tomorrows pairings will be tough?

is kaberle going to play if so who sits diaz or emelin?

if diaz sits we'll have 5 lefties and one right hand

gorges subban

kaberle emelin

gill campoli ??

We can only hope that boston was just a bad fit.

Carolina has been terrible altogether.

And stats from both are a small sample.

Kaberle is a helluva passer. hopefully subban can get his shot in order.

And if Markov even comes back, how long before he's injured again. His knee may just be unhealable.

I do hate the cap hit but this move definitely adds talent to the roster, and it will certainly be interesting to watch it play out.