Who would you pick as a long term coach?

Kaboom

its been happening for 25+ years since Bob Berry, and through changes in GMs and even owners. Some GM will be found. But Geoff will decide the policy.

The sick vibe I get is that Geoff doesn't really decide, but must go with outside pressure. It's Stanley Cup or bust for Mr. Cunneyworth.

I don't want to get into a political discussion here, but it's not just the Habs that face this in Quebec.

Last time I was in montreal I was having dinner with one of my Montreal based colleagues who was ranting about how the language policies and separtism movement had resulted in a lot if head offices if companies moving from Montreal to Toronto in the 70's and 80's

This used to be a team committed to nothing but winning the cup. That was the number one riding factor for the team, the media and the fans. Now it seems it's more important to praise and have a team of Darche's and slam guys like AK46.

The crap that Koivu had to put up with was sickening!

The sick vibe I get is that Geoff doesn't really decide, but must go with outside pressure. It's Stanley Cup or bust for Mr. Cunneyworth.

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to give my 2 cents worth on the new coach thing. I have read several message boards and various news reports about why we should or should not have a french speaking coach. (I must say that everytime the language thing appears, it seems to rip some scabs off old wounds and things get pretty nasty pretty quickly)

As an English only speaking New Zealander who did not grow up with hockey, my first reaction is the logical one that "the best coach, regardless of language should be hired" -easy.

When I think about it a bit more, I think it's not that simple. If it was all about winning we could all just support the redwings or penguins or whoever was flavour of the day.

As someone who started supporting the HAB's in the late eighties I think I can safely say I didn't jump on the bandwagon of a winning team. (one cup in all that time) I just remember the excitement of going to the forum (only once) it was all so great to be among that crowd of largely french speaking fans and yet feel part of the beast, and of course once I was hooked I became fascinated with the teams history and characters. All of this is a bit of a long winded way of saying a large part of my personal attachement to the HABs is the cultural differences and politics that are unlike almost any team in sport. Montreal is not some sterile, no history team like Tampa or Pheonix and a part of me would be sad to see that proud history diminished.

The other part of me of course would like to see us win another cup, but in my ideal world it would be with someone like Guy Boucher at the helm.

I realise there are lots of logical arguements against the above statements but I do understand how alot of French speaking fans would like a French speaking coach.

Anyway, just my personal opinion. Remember we all support the same team, so not too nasty to each other (especially at Christmas lol)

Just wanted to give my 2 cents worth on the new coach thing. I have read several message boards and various news reports about why we should or should not have a french speaking coach. (I must say that everytime the language thing appears, it seems to rip some scabs off old wounds and things get pretty nasty pretty quickly)

As an English only speaking New Zealander who did not grow up with hockey, my first reaction is the logical one that "the best coach, regardless of language should be hired" -easy.

When I think about it a bit more, I think it's not that simple. If it was all about winning we could all just support the redwings or penguins or whoever was flavour of the day.

As someone who started supporting the HAB's in the late eighties I think I can safely say I didn't jump on the bandwagon of a winning team. (one cup in all that time) I just remember the excitement of going to the forum (only once) it was all so great to be among that crowd of largely french speaking fans and yet feel part of the beast, and of course once I was hooked I became fascinated with the teams history and characters. All of this is a bit of a long winded way of saying a large part of my personal attachement to the HABs is the cultural differences and politics that are unlike almost any team in sport. Montreal is not some sterile, no history team like Tampa or Pheonix and a part of me would be sad to see that proud history diminished.

The other part of me of course would like to see us win another cup, but in my ideal world it would be with someone like Guy Boucher at the helm.

I realise there are lots of logical arguements against the above statements but I do understand how alot of French speaking fans would like a French speaking coach.

Anyway, just my personal opinion. Remember we all support the same team, so not too nasty to each other (especially at Christmas lol)

I became a hockey and habs fan, immidately after coming to canada in 75, when the broad street bullies were king. Been a habs fan since. We had an english speaking coach then, who is either the #1 or #2 greatest coach of all time. The other guy also happened to be the habs great english coach. The language politics has resulted in most head offices being moved from Quebec to Ontario. Now the same damn language politics has turned a once model franchise into the friggin mickey mouse club Gretzky called the devils. Oh, and the devils have modeled their organization on those great habs teams.

I never lived in quebec - pretty much lived my whole life in Calgary, but grew up reading about Habs hisory, so its not like i don't get the importance of the habs historically. I can't speak french, but knew just enough to keep track of the score or the play to listen to the French CBC radio canada broadcasts on the radio, back when the CBC TV broadcasts were leafs or flames games on hockey night in canada and there were no weeknight games in calgary, other then flames - long before TSN.

But hell, we are in 2011 now - people need to get their assess out of the 50's, the quiet revolution of the 60's and the FLQ days of the 70's. Dryden called this in the Game in 1980/1981(??) when he said that the quebecrs will need to choose being french or winning. I guess most of the damn french media, would rather be french then win.

• Upvote 1

Scotty Bowman learned how to speak French.

That should be the only requirement, that the new hire is willing to learn the language; not that they need to know it in advance.

It works for the English national football team who hired Fabio Capello, an Italian who had very weak English skills 4 years ago. Now he does pressers in English.

The team with the biggest language issue in all of European Soccer is Barcelona. They hired a dutchman in Frank Rijjkard in 2003 and made him learn Catalan. This worked for them too, and Catalan/Spanish in Spain is similar to the French/English thing here.

That should be the only requirement, that the new hire is willing to learn the language; not that they need to know it in advance.

It works for the English national football team who hired Fabio Capello, an Italian who had very weak English skills 4 years ago. Now he does pressers in English.

The team with the biggest language issue in all of European Soccer is Barcelona. They hired a dutchman in Frank Rijjkard in 2003 and made him learn Catalan. This worked for them too, and Catalan/Spanish in Spain is similar to the French/English thing here.

This is the most sensible way of doing this.

IMO Cunneyworth is 100% toast regardless of performance.

Roy would be an extremely high risk, high reward scenario

Damphouse as GM would be interesting. I hadn't considered him at all.

Yes he did. But do you honestly think the media jackels are going to be willing to let someone LEARN french AFTER taking the job???

This is the most sensible way of doing this.

IMO Cunneyworth is 100% toast regardless of performance.

Roy would be an extremely high risk, high reward scenario

Damphouse as GM would be interesting. I hadn't considered him at all.

Damphouse.... makes me think of Houle. I think he has about as much experience as Houle did. Not a big fan of Roy, but at least he has more experience then Damphouse.

Guy Boucher is the only French candidate I would like.

Yep - that's why i wish they had fired Martin's ass last year.

It is a good question why learning French seems to be such a far-fetched scenario nowadays. Back in the 70s several players made the effort and it was strongly appreciated. I love Koivu, but his seeming inability to make the same effort created needless problems. If Cunneyworth turns out to do a good job, what if he were to vow to take intensive French lessons during the summer? Why is that so unimaginable? No doubt his synatx would be epouvantable, but it's the symbolism that really matters - a gesture of respect to a people sensitive to questions of collective dignity.

I could live with Crawford as well as Boucher. I've also thrown André Savard's name out there, not that anyone has responded. And I'm still not wholly confident that Carriere is not there in order to be groomed as an eventual coach. Ay yi yi.

Roy...to me that is a fundamental move toward permanent melodrama in Montreal, not a wise hockey decision. Still, it'd be interesting.

It is a good question why learning French seems to be such a far-fetched scenario nowadays. Back in the 70s several players made the effort and it was strongly appreciated. I love Koivu, but his seeming inability to make the same effort created needless problems. If Cunneyworth turns out to do a good job, what if he were to vow to take intensive French lessons during the summer? Why is that so unimaginable? No doubt his synatx would be epouvantable, but it's the symbolism that really matters - a gesture of respect to a people sensitive to questions of collective dignity.

I could live with Crawford as well as Boucher. I've also thrown André Savard's name out there, not that anyone has responded. And I'm still not wholly confident that Carriere is not there in order to be groomed as an eventual coach. Ay yi yi.

Roy...to me that is a fundamental move toward permanent melodrama in Montreal, not a wise hockey decision. Still, it'd be interesting.

I think that would be the #1 criteria for the damn media in this city.

I would be interested to hear from the site members who actually live in Quebec what the average Quebecer feels about this. i.e do they really want a french speaking coach over the best coach? Or is this a media beat up?

Edited by Kiwihab

I would give roy a assistant job nothing more then that. he does have some experience just not in the echl or ahl nor the nhl. with another coach i would like craig mactavish or dennis savard either or with the big bird. this would cover the language shit

Interesting. Can anyone confirm that Alain Vigneault's contract is up at the end of this season? Think he'd be up to round two in Montreal? Possible something like this was the plan all along? Would make things look much better in Montreal than what seems to be happening. Probably just wishful thinking on my part, eh? ;)

Still, I'd take Viggy in a minute.

Interesting. Can anyone confirm that Alain Vigneault's contract is up at the end of this season? Think he'd be up to round two in Montreal? Possible something like this was the plan all along? Would make things look much better in Montreal than what seems to be happening. Probably just wishful thinking on my part, eh? ;)

Still, I'd take Viggy in a minute.

100%. He did a great job for us under dire circumstances the first time around.

You never know; a playoff exit for the Canucks might trigger Vigneault's firing or non-renewal. That'd be the ideal scenario.

100%. He did a great job for us under dire circumstances the first time around.

You never know; a playoff exit for the Canucks might trigger Vigneault's firing or non-renewal. That'd be the ideal scenario.

Don't you hate that, now that you're thinking of it, you're hoping for it? And won't we be disappointed if it's anybody less than him after seeing the news that his contract might be up? Man, grasping for any hope, eh?

Don't you hate that, now that you're thinking of it, you're hoping for it? And won't we be disappointed if it's anybody less than him after seeing the news that his contract might be up? Man, grasping for any hope, eh?

Well, living in Vancouver I always hope for ignominious playoff exits for the Canucks, so there's nothing new here ^_^

If it's not Vigneault I won't kill myself...unlike many message board posters, I am aware that most coaches have strengths and weaknesses and are neither saviours nor evil demons. As long as we get somebody good and highly qualified (rather than Molson's drinking buddy or someone beloved of the raving jackals of the French media) I'll be OK with that. But V is definitely one of the better coaches around.

It is a good question why learning French seems to be such a far-fetched scenario nowadays. Back in the 70s several players made the effort and it was strongly appreciated.

I would be interested to hear from the site members who actually live in Quebec what the average Quebecer feels about this. i.e do they really want a french speaking coach over the best coach? Or is this a media beat up?

I spent a few months in rural Quebec recently, in a small town where French was the only language. I am English and the only French I knew were basic words learned from classes in grade school in the 90's. In my experience, I can assure you that it is very much appreciated when an anglophone shows an effort to try to converse in French. It is not so much the actual words spoken, it is the acknowledgment and understanding of their culture. Quebecers are very proud of their province, more so than any other in Canada imo(Newfoundland is a close second). So in my opinion, I believe an anglophone could be successful in Montreal as long as they made an effort to learn the language.

This is a sport not politics so why is this a factor? I though this is about winning? this team is known for winning and growing up watching roy and mats and bobby smith and chris nilan is why i love the habs not because of what language they speak. So if we won the cup and didn't have one french guy on our team i wonder what would be said? the french would put a * beside it i bet!!! brutal and just so people get all pissy about that my last name is Forget. yes french!!!!!

I spent a few months in rural Quebec recently, in a small town where French was the only language. I am English and the only French I knew were basic words learned from classes in grade school in the 90's. In my experience, I can assure you that it is very much appreciated when an anglophone shows an effort to try to converse in French. It is not so much the actual words spoken, it is the acknowledgment and understanding of their culture. Quebecers are very proud of their province, more so than any other in Canada imo(Newfoundland is a close second). So in my opinion, I believe an anglophone could be successful in Montreal as long as they made an effort to learn the language.

I'm from Quebec and I know of what I speak. You are exactly right about everything here.

This is a sport not politics so why is this a factor? I though this is about winning? this team is known for winning and growing up watching roy and mats and bobby smith and chris nilan is why i love the habs not because of what language they speak. So if we won the cup and didn't have one french guy on our team i wonder what would be said? the french would put a * beside it i bet!!! brutal and just so people get all pissy about that my last name is Forget. yes french!!!!!

If you have hundreds of millions of dollars invested in the team, it isn't a sport, some playful competitive activity we like to watch for fun - it's a business. Having a French coach keeps good business relations with much of Molson's target audience. Molson doesn't want to gamble millions on hiring a coach that is only more likely to make Montreal a top team. Pretty much every owner will feel the same way.