Getting ready for 2012-2013

hab29RETIRED

One thing about Kostitsyn is that Washington is reportedly hot for a top-6 forward, and also presumably prepared to sacrifice the future to win now. Kostitsyn would be just the ticket for them. I agree that Kosty is a useful asset, but if Washington has any high-end prospects we might be able to pry away in exchange, that might be worth considering - especially given the absence of any guarantee that he'll re-sign with us.

The most concerning part of all of this to me is that we have a very well paid core of supposed veterans (Gionta, Cammy, Plex, Gomez) that have a habit of folding up shop when the going gets tough. While the youth on the team and in the system is comforting, the prime time guys on this roster just aren't getting it done night in and night out. And more alarming than that, they seem to have NO shame in dogging it and coasting out there while cashing their checks every week.

That is not the kind of dressing room and work ethic that you want your future top liners to be molded by, and if the GM was not such a lame duck I would suggest a major shake up with moving one of these overpaid slackers in order to grab everyone in that room by the balls and let them know that this cannot continue. Shipping someone like Cammy out fo town would send a real message to that room that this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated for another 40+ games.

Interim coach or not, you cannot ice a team that isn't hustling and giving their all each night in this league. It is an embarassment to the organization, and an embarassment to everyone in that room that considers themselves a professional hockey player.

Washington has 2 first rounders too. They probably won't give us colorado's pick, but they might deal their own.

I seriously doubt that Washington would give up a first for AK46. I know they have the extra pick but why AK46 for that price when they can likely land a more consistent player.

I seriously doubt that Washington would give up a first for AK46. I know they have the extra pick but why AK46 for that price when they can likely land a more consistent player.

Hes probably on a 25-30 goal pace.

What 25-30 goal scorer is consistent?

All of these guys are inconsistent/streaky whatever you call them... thats why they score 30 and not 55

If Kris Versteeg nets a first and a third last season... AK should get at least a 1st if not 1st +

Ak46 is one of the guys I think the Habs need to lock up.

I like the trades, but would you let Kosty go? I think Kosty has proven himself this year and is going for a 30 goal season even with our slow start.

They would probably offer up Semin.

One thing about Kostitsyn is that Washington is reportedly hot for a top-6 forward, and also presumably prepared to sacrifice the future to win now. Kostitsyn would be just the ticket for them. I agree that Kosty is a useful asset, but if Washington has any high-end prospects we might be able to pry away in exchange, that might be worth considering - especially given the absence of any guarantee that he'll re-sign with us.

I'dBo okay if we got the 1st rounder wsh is getting from the Avs and another conditional 1st or 2nd if he is resigned by the caps, id be okay with that - as long as we also are dumping Cammy, gill, Gomez, Kaberle, Moen and are willing to eat gomez's salary.

I think we news to go in the summer with a ton of cap room.

I like this line of thinking. We can't just let AK walk. Plus if he get's traded, it'll be fun to read hab29 have a cow.

It does nothing for is - but I think they probably need to clear up cap room. My fear is that PG will make a last ditch attempt to salvage the season and his job.

Why would they offer up Semin.

That does nothing for us. Its another UFA to be in the summer.

-Campoli - brought a 2nd rounder last year, should at least bring a 3rd this year

http://patrickcaisse.tvasports.ca/generale/lagent-de-weber-mecontent/

This writer seems to think the best that can be had for Campoli is a 6th rounder, and based on his play so far, I can't say I disagree.

He'll have to play a lot better (if he sees anymore ice time) to boost his value.

People are being really ridiculous to Campoli. The guy had no training camp and then missed three months. Of course he is going to struggle. What he needs is time to find his mojo, but in the current must-win climate I do not expect him to get much ice time, and therefore he will not be able to play himself into a groove. What'll happen is that he'll struggle all year long, leave town pursued by insults from Habs fans, go somewhere else and start afresh next year and do very nicely as a #5-6 defenceman for another team.

• Upvote 1

People are being really ridiculous to Campoli. The guy had no training camp and then missed three months. Of course he is going to struggle. What he needs is time to find his mojo, but in the current must-win climate I do not expect him to get much ice time, and therefore he will not be able to play himself into a groove. What'll happen is that he'll struggle all year long, leave town pursued by insults from Habs fans, go somewhere else and start afresh next year and do very nicely as a #5-6 defenceman for another team.

Your probably 100% correct.

A Chicago beat writer was tweeting that the Hawks are looking to add a vet Dman at the deadline.

I said something to him about Campoli and he responded....

]@ESPNChiHawks[/url] Jesse Rogers

would not shock me at all RT @beakermania: @ESPNChiHawks Chris Campoli is probably available.

Then lots of Hawks fans jumped in and said they are willing to take him back.

Wouldn't surprise me either to see him head back to Chicago.

I'd love to see us steal a prospect from them instead of a draft pick... Morin, Beach, Saad, they have a lot of forward prospects.

Hes probably on a 25-30 goal pace.

What 25-30 goal scorer is consistent?

All of these guys are inconsistent/streaky whatever you call them... thats why they score 30 and not 55

If Kris Versteeg nets a first and a third last season... AK should get at least a 1st if not 1st +

We are almost at the halfway mark of the season and Kostitsyn now has 16 points. There is absolutely no way we get a 1st for this guy.

Ak46 won't get you much, but i think it's time to move him. he isn't giving you much either. 32 points at 3.5 mill? Not worth it. he could be a deal sweetener to a team that needs offense, like Nashville, phoenix, someone like that.

Moen may get some good returns especially paired with a Cammi or someone else. As an example, the sharks game last night said they were looking for a top 6 guy, Cammi with Thornton would be really good, throw Moen on there and get Clowe and 1st or 2nd. Moen is the exact same player as Clowe, but a stanly cup winner and ufa. I would be looking for deals like that.

I would look to Philly also, they needa top 6 guy, try and get Schenn back.

Gill, Campoli and Weber i would start moving ASAP, Emelin needs more minutes, same with Diaz. might as well see how they do with more responsibility now.

What's the worst that can happen, they are 26th in the league. The Islanders have 3 games in hand.

It's lottery pick or budt

Let me ask this though. Are you confident in what Gauthier can get with the pending UFA players? Personally I would rather see the GM change now and then get the plan in action for parting with our guys either for picks if that GM so chooses or with players but who fit the style of the GM and eventual coach.

• 2 weeks later...

We are almost at the halfway mark of the season and Kostitsyn now has 16 points. There is absolutely no way we get a 1st for this guy.

AK46 has a bad habit of not showing up in big games. Afer watching him in the playoffs,why would anyone want to resign him.You know he'll be a slug once he gets a longterm deal. He's at his best right now,playing for a contract and it's not that great

41 career playoff games.... 11 career playoff goals.

on about the same pace he puts up in the regular season.

he is what he is... a 20-25 goal scorer.

A guy who looks great on some nights and awful on others.

And a forward who is willing to go to the net and brings a physical presence.

I'm careful not to overpay him, but he does bring good things on a 2nd/3rd line.

We've just expected more because of his history (draft year and rank) and we're never gonna get this.

It's not complicated with Kosty. You try to sign him. If he is not interested, or asking anything over, say, $4 mil, you trade him for whatever you can get and move on with your life.

It's not complicated with Kosty. You try to sign him. If he is not interested, or asking anything over, say, $4 mil, you trade him for whatever you can get and move on with your life.

Agreed, I put 3 years 12 million on the table and give him a deadline.... take it, or you're traded.

and he would take that because?

and he would take that because?

Lets assume fair market value is 4.5 million (Erik Cole money).

If he wants fair market value, and isn't willing to do the home town discount; then I'm not worried about re-signing him now.

If I have to pay fair market value, I'm offering him that on July 1st, or offering a replacement fair market value on July 1st. If I have to pay full price, I'm trading him for all the future assets I can get today.

If he wants 4.5 million, he''s a good player, but is by no means irreplaceable on July 1st, if he decides to go elsewhere as a UFA.

Lets assume fair market value is 4.5 million (Erik Cole money).

If he wants fair market value, and isn't willing to do the home town discount; then I'm not worried about re-signing him now.

If I have to pay fair market value, I'm offering him that on July 1st, or offering a replacement fair market value on July 1st. If I have to pay full price, I'm trading him for all the future assets I can get today.

If he wants 4.5 million, he''s a good player, but is by no means irreplaceable on July 1st, if he decides to go elsewhere as a UFA.

Wow, fair market value is $4.5 (equivalent to Cole) for a guy who doesn't do half of what Cole does? I'd offer him another couple of years at his current price, might offer a slight raise, but there's no way in the Montreal Forum I offer him Cole money. None.