Molson needs to get his priorities right!

REV-G

I believe Geoff Molson had to approve the decision to fire J. Martin. So if he is in a hands on mode, what in the world is he doing sitting back right and letting this language debate overshadow everything else resulting in putting his new interim coach and the entire team and city through all this.

I believe the order of priority needs to be first put a proper GM in place immediately, then let that experienced GM put a coach in place.

How often have owners tried to use a band-aid approach when they know down deep a larger change needs to take place. Our team's confidence, reputation and performance are all being battered. We've fired two coaches, we are still struggling as a team and the core seems to be very suspect. Our GM has made some horrible contract choices and we are getting older and more tired looking. And now he has saddled us with a divisive coaching dilema. It's not the interim coaches fault. He seems liked and respected by his peers and players. There needs to be wholesale changes and now is the time for our new owner to make changes to what he has inherited.

Write this season off, get an entire new, desperately needed, management team in place and get the honor and reputation of the Montreal Canadiens back in place. Why allow this be a 7 or 8 month long debate. Make the tough, needed, decision now and let's start getting this team back on track with the key management and coaching postions filled with smart, competent

In my opinion we are looking like incompetent owners and managers that our team should not be saddled with. Do it now, don;t wait for spring.

Well i think he did fire J.M in order to right the ship. I see in some ways why this is tough on molson but a lot of this is has to do with the media's trying to sell papers and mags. He needs to stop listening to them and go about his bis and do what he thinks is right. Lets face it the man is not dumb and has possibly the toughest team to own and run.

Things look pretty dodgy right now, and I too am concerned about how ownership fits in to all this - whether everyone involved except Molson is 'interim' and what that means for the season and the future. However, the fact is that Cunneyworth has barely begun and there is still time for the team to turn it around. Stay cool.

• Upvote 2

It is all too bad Molson had to cut Randy off at the knees so quickly after the hire and if he felt he had to make a statment, he should of been able to come up with something better.

I didnt like Martin's coaching, but mostly was minor line up stuff i disagreed with and his "deer in the headlights" appearance when the team was behind, but end of season would of been best to make the change.

I am behind almost every move Gauthier has pulled off in past 2 years and i will not be pleased if he gets axed and really cant understand all the critism he gets.

Which move was bad, trading Obyrne for Bournival? Halak for Eller (very ballsy trade)? Picking Markov over Wiz (which we all seemed 50-50 last sping on which one to sign), Signing Cole, Kaberle for Spacek, not signing Hammer to 2 year deal (i know C Cucumber disagreed with this one but not I)? trading for spare parts just to make playoffs, which is mandatory in Habland? Not firing Martin for Muller/Bouche earlier? Shipping out Lapierre? Draft picks look promising.

All in all he has done well in my books and i know nothing of Molson, except his 1 latest comment, which was exactly what the team did not need, maybe to keep beer sales high or some other lame reason, no backbone maybe??

I think my concern has been the overall direction of the team. We seem slow, dull, boring and can't score goals. Granted this is also a coaching result, but the players available are the GM's responsibility and ultimately everything having to do with coaching and players falls back on the GM.

We have 3 or 4 guys whose contracts total more than 1/3 of our cap space. To me we have not managed that very well and next summer could be a problem when key guys are up for new contracts and we are already overly committed to a few.

Gauthier's secrecy makes me wonder if he has lost sight that this is a game and that our team is a team supported by fans who want to know whats going on. They want good communication, not having everything shrouded in secrecy. Serge Savard recently reminded us that, more so than other teams, the Montreal Canadiens are really owned by the people. We want to hear from our GM and not have him act like this is the Pentagon or the Secret Police and that information abou the team and it's players must be kept a secret..

Granted he inherited this team which Gainey made over, but personally, while I like Eller a lot, I think we should have got a lot more for Halak by letting other teams know that he was available. Pierre McGuirre called that deal larceny, implying that St. Louis stole Halak from us because at that time Halak's value was at an all time high. For a starting goaltender in the NHL we should have received more in return. I know 1 GM stated that he didn't even know

Halk was available and would have been interested in at least bidding.

I think the Gomez situation has gone on long enough and should be dealt with soon if things don't improve and not wait till the end of the season [which in all fairness he may have a plan to do something about that situation].

We have also allowed some key people to walk away [raided??] as in Boucher and Brisbois.

I think firing Pearn and Martin seemed to be moves that were made to appease people and keep his job.

Also, and this may be petty, but why in the world does he call everyone "Mr."?? What is all that about?

So since he has decided to fire the coach in mid-season I believe now is also the time for a complete change. We have an interim coach and I think now is the time to make a wholesale change and put in place a fresh new GM like a Jim Nil [sp?] or a solid, experienced GM who can get us back on track. I hope I'm wrong but this is beginning to feel a little like the Rejean Houle, Mario Trembley era with confusion, uncertainly, poor communication and no clear direction. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the problem is all of this is happening mid season. If ownership really want to start fresh then they should be looking for the best replacements and by definition the people (GM's and coaches) available now are ones that have already been fired this year. If they are looking to change things up, I think they should wait till the end of the season and get the best available people then.

(null)

• Upvote 1

I agree with that but the fact Gauthier decided to make a coaching change in December, I think Geoff Molson should wait till the New Year, hire a new GM and then as you said, pick a coach next summer when you know who available and who's not.

What should Molson's priority be exactly? I think his priority is to satisfy the shareholders on this business venture which is why they have not added to the current team money wise. One coach steps away and 2 people already in the organization step forward. Waiting until the end of the season would have made the most sense but I have a feeling that this was made as a trail period to see if this team has the horses to play different system.

We know certain guys struggled in a defensive system, now we'll see what they can do with a more up tempo system.

personally I think the timing was fine, now let's see what we can do to address the other issues.

What should Molson's priority be exactly? I think his priority is to satisfy the shareholders on this business venture which is why they have not added to the current team money wise. One coach steps away and 2 people already in the organization step forward. Waiting until the end of the season would have made the most sense but I have a feeling that this was made as a trail period to see if this team has the horses to play different system.

We know certain guys struggled in a defensive system, now we'll see what they can do with a more up tempo system.

personally I think the timing was fine, now let's see what we can do to address the other issues.

He's made a clusterfrack of satisfying his shareholders. The entire organization is spiralling out of control. He wants to satisfy them? He needs to grab everyone by the balls and take control.

He's made a clusterfrack of satisfying his shareholders. The entire organization is spiralling out of control. He wants to satisfy them? He needs to grab everyone by the balls and take control.

He doesn't have shareholders.

The Montreal Canadiens are owned by the Molson Family.... they are an independent business now, entirely seperate from Molson/Coors Brewery.

Geoff Molson is one of many shareholders in Molson/Coors; however the shareholders in Molson/Coors don't own a part of the team.

Common misconception here... but an important distinction.

And thats your Corporate Law 101.

The organization is absolutely in turmoil - which is the biggest reason for the disasters of the past couple of weeks - and it comes down to a drawn-out transition from Gillette to Molson. Molson is like any owner in that he will eventually put 'his' people in place. Part of the problem here is that the hand-off in ownership occurred at around the same time Gainey decided to move out in favour of Gauthier. Given that it probably took Molson some time to get his head around his new responsibilities, he basically 'inherited' Gauthier on trusted Gainey's recommendation without necessarily being heartily loyal to him, but not yet being in a position to hire his own guy.

Had Gainey remained in place, the overall impression of turmoil would be less. Bob would likely be trusted to see the season through and then Molson would make a change if necessary (or, more likely, Bob would step aside before being canned). At the very least, we would not be looking at the ridiculous spectacle of firing a GM after two seasons.

A further thought - it may not be unreasonable to ask whether Gainey decided to step back in part because he didn't think much of the new owner's acumen and could anticipate ill-advised interference with hockey operations. The smart guy knows when to get out.

In any case, we have to hope for a reset this summer and that Molson puts good people, not drinking buddies, in place.

He doesn't have shareholders.

The Montreal Canadiens are owned by the Molson Family.... they are an independent business now, entirely seperate from Molson/Coors Brewery.

Geoff Molson is one of many shareholders in Molson/Coors; however the shareholders in Molson/Coors don't own a part of the team.

Common misconception here... but an important distinction.

And thats your Corporate Law 101.

His partners then? I mean what percentage does Molson own?

His partners then? I mean what percentage does Molson own?

I think they are at close to 80% with Bell owning 20%.

However due to Bell buying the Leafs, and league rules, they no longer have any influence on the operation of the time. They are forced to be a silent partner and can not question Molson on his moves or make any recommendations. They've been taken out of the loop.

I think they are at close to 80% with Bell owning 20%.

However due to Bell buying the Leafs, and league rules, they no longer have any influence on the operation of the time. They are forced to be a silent partner and can not question Molson on his moves or make any recommendations. They've been taken out of the loop.

For some reason I recalled there being like 4-5 partners will Molson owning only like 60%. Guy must be shitting himself. Could have bought the team this year for how much less than he did assuming they were still up for sale.

For some reason I recalled there being like 4-5 partners will Molson owning only like 60%. Guy must be shitting himself. Could have bought the team this year for how much less than he did assuming they were still up for sale.

Here's a CP article on it.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1748773&archive=true

BCE/Bell Globemedia etc... = owner's of the leafs... now a silent partner.

FTQ - financing only, don't make management decisions...

Michael Andaleur - unknown percentage.

So the only guy who could be pissed off is Andaleur. The rest have no say as long as Molson pays the bills on time.

Bottom line on the whole situation is the french media crying about the language issue puts unneccessary pressure on the current coach and management, as well as ownership.

Last time I checked, the majority of players are not french speaking as their native tongue. Are you telling me you would rather have Louis Leblanc (no offense intended, he will be a good player) as a first round pick or Sidney Crosby? Carey Price is among the best at his position and hails from B.C.

Two of our best people to ever be involved in the organization were Scotty Bowman and Sam Pollock. We need to get back to picking the best player, best coach and best GM available based on ability.

I question the scouting as well. If teams like Detroit can finish near the top of the standings and pick quality players lower in the draft, why can't we.

Let's cut the crap, get the best people available in all aspects, hire a translater if needed and rebuild the Habs to where they should be; at the top.

• Upvote 4

Bottom line on the whole situation is the french media crying about the language issue puts unneccessary pressure on the current coach and management, as well as ownership.

Last time I checked, the majority of players are not french speaking as their native tongue. Are you telling me you would rather have Louis Leblanc (no offense intended, he will be a good player) as a first round pick or Sidney Crosby? Carey Price is among the best at his position and hails from B.C.

Two of our best people to ever be involved in the organization were Scotty Bowman and Sam Pollock. We need to get back to picking the best player, best coach and best GM available based on ability.

I question the scouting as well. If teams like Detroit can finish near the top of the standings and pick quality players lower in the draft, why can't we.

Let's cut the crap, get the best people available in all aspects, hire a translater if needed and rebuild the Habs to where they should be; at the top.

From your lips to Gods ears.

Or Geoff Molsons at least.

• 3 weeks later...

The players, as a whole, need to act as a team and stand up to this BS by telling the media involved (as well as the organizers of these "movements") to get lost. This nationalist crap is just political maneuvering at the expense of our team. The players should decide, as a TEAM, to stop talking to any media personalities that go down this ridiculous path.

Who knows, maybe finding a way to work through this together will make them a stronger group...

Pretty sad that they need to stoke separatist/nationalist fires to rebuild their political side in this manner...

Look, the separatists are desperate. Their two parties (BQ and PQ) are both in total disarray, outpolled by a tired and possibly corrupt government and a bizarre new party led by an uncharismatic, recycled Péquiste whose only contribution is a promise to shelve the whole issue for 10 years. That they have been reduced to trying to mobilize the population against the hiring of Randy Cunneyworth in order to revive their cause is a measure of how pathetic their situation has become. To quote Pierre Trudeau: "This bunch of snivellers should simply have been sent packing and told to stop to stop having tantrums like spoiled adolescents."

Even though i don't agree with the people who were "protesting" saturday night, you should remember that both Sam pollock and Scotty Bowman are both native Montrealers...and even though both were anglophones, they both spoke french as well. So they could talk to the media and the fans in french.

Thanks for that Commandant!!! I especially love the line about warning boats on the St. Lawrence with that pathetic head gear light deal. The small gathering they had ended peacefully, and they all left in the same taxi. Even RDS noted that the Quebec flags handed out were barely visible in the Bell Center. I'd "prefer" that the coach speak some French, just like I want Lecavalier, St. Louis, and Briere as out first line. That's not about to happen. OMG, I've become the biggest Cunneyworth fan in Canada. Just to prove these scrubs wrong.