Places to eat in Montreal

lazy26

My girlfriend and I will be spending a few days in Montreal soon, and I was wondering if any Montreal dwellers/frequenters had any recommendations as to where to eat. We're staying in the Bell Centre area, so we'd prefer to go to places within walking distances, and nothing too expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Wok Cafe. I'd suggest a plate of General Tao - it's big enough for two. They have some other great food on the menu - but they're best known for the General. It's the opposite of a fancy place though, the decor is horrible, haha. So keep that in mind. It's on Sainte-Catherine Street West, corner Sainte-Mathieu.

Also, I'd suggest Ye Old Orchard if you want a great pub with good food: http://yeoldeorchard.com/ There's one on De La Montange, so it's really close to you.

You MUST have some Schwartz's smoked meat and a poutine from La Banquise. As for more high class places, if you have money to blow, go to La Queue de Cheval, it is VERY expensive but apparently worth it, never ate there myself but my brother works with them and he told me it is just amazing!

If you wanna stay around Bell Centre, forget about Schwartz and go to Dunn's instead.

As Maca pointed out, Wok Cafe general tao is big enough for 2 and will cost you only 10$ total, but don't expect hight class gastronomy in this plate.

A restaurant that I really liked recently was Boris Bistro in the Old Montreal (not that far at all).

If you wanna stay around Bell Centre, forget about Schwartz and go to Dunn's instead.

As Maca pointed out, Wok Cafe general tao is big enough for 2 and will cost you only 10$ total, but don't expect hight class gastronomy in this plate.

A restaurant that I really liked recently was Boris Bistro in the Old Montreal (not that far at all).

As Joe said, I highly recommend Dunn's for a great smoked meat. It's walking distance. You'd need a cab or drive to go to Schwartz. If you just want a great smoked meat and a confortable affordable experience, go to Dunn's.

I also often go to Carlos & Pepe which is located near Ste Catherine on Peel. Very good chili con carne, free unlimited homemade nachos, cool decor

Also, a good restaurant "bring your own wine" style in the Old Montreal (again, not that far from Bell Centre and probably the most beautiful part of Montreal) is located corner St-Laurent and St-Paul. It is called Steak & Frites St-Paul.

I'd call in advance and reserve though.

Awesome guys, thanks! I must say that we always include Dunn's on our Montreal trips as it's great and so close by.

Great to see all the different kinds of recommendations. Keep 'em coming (if you'd be so kind :))

Burger de Ville is the best burger I've had and it's cheap compared to most sit-down restaurants.

And I second La Banquise if you want poutine. They have all sorts of creative flavours.

Is that the same Wok Cafe that was on Epic Meal Time?

They're from Montreal, right?

Yeah, from a group of suburbs called the West Island, where I live. I've randomly seen the guys around a couple of times but they're always, disappointingly, eating a normal amount of food.

Also, a good restaurant "bring your own wine" style in the Old Montreal (again, not that far from Bell Centre and probably the most beautiful part of Montreal) is located corner St-Laurent and St-Paul. It is called Steak & Frites St-Paul.

I'd call in advance and reserve though.

Yeah but there is more than one in the city so you can always try the others if this one is full, although eating in Old Montreal is just not the same! Didn't read that you wanted to stay in the Bell Centre area maybe try Ristorante Da Vinci, I know many Habs players go there, I saw them on a tv special! Also, maybe check out the Cage aux Sports next to the Bell Centre, it's really a good expierience, especially on a night when the habs are playing! For breakfast, I would suggest Ben & Florentine, I ate at the one in Laval near where I live and there's one downtown, really delicious.