Cunneyworth coaching assessment

BCHabnut

6 out of 10 for the rest of the season won't do it.That'll get us to around 88pts. i don't want to go in like that.We are 2 points out of last BTW.

I prefer to bomb. I would like to finish dead last and re-tool this right but it won;t happen. We've been a much more competitive team under Cunneyworth however. I would personally like to see him stay.

I prefer to bomb. I would like to finish dead last and re-tool this right but it won;t happen. We've been a much more competitive team under Cunneyworth however. I would personally like to see him stay.

Entertaining yes. The W-L record tells me not as competetive. Still too many no show performances and 3rd period collaps. I don't like JM,but as i stated,he can get the most out of a mediocre to crappy team

Entertaining yes. The W-L record tells me not as competetive. Still too many no show performances and 3rd period collaps. I don't like JM,but as i stated,he can get the most out of a mediocre to crappy team

I agree the results are not yet there but I see a much bigger compete levl from all players involved. I get a sense that the players enjoy playing for Cunneyworth. If we had an NHL d-core the results would have been different.

I agree the results are not yet there but I see a much bigger compete levl from all players involved. I get a sense that the players enjoy playing for Cunneyworth. If we had an NHL d-core the results would have been different.

I completely agree, the team seems to be moving their feet more and generally seems to be enjoying the game (Pleks is having issues but the rest seem good).

Our problem was that, Markov, Campoli, Spacek and Gill have all been injured. I don't think any team should have to build themselves around surviving the amount of injures we have had to our back end.

I completely agree, the team seems to be moving their feet more and generally seems to be enjoying the game (Pleks is having issues but the rest seem good).

Our problem was that, Markov, Campoli, Spacek and Gill have all been injured. I don't think any team should have to build themselves around surviving the amount of injures we have had to our back end.

the record does not support the claim that we've been more competitive under cunneyworth.

As well, as far as injuries go, JM played multiple games with a defence of gorges subban diaz emelin weber and st. Denis. There is nothing to support the idea that RC has faced more injuries than JM did.

People forget that Subban is our #1 dman in a time when he should be mentored and developped. Our D-core has been riddled with injuries and for a good portion of this season we had Weber, Diaz, Emelin and Subban as the maintstays with not a single one of them with more than a year of service.

This season is a write-off but we are a much more copetitive team playing to our strengths right now then we were under MArtin regardless of the results. Let's just tinker with this and get things right,.

the record does not support the claim that we've been more competitive under cunneyworth.

As well, as far as injuries go, JM played multiple games with a defence of gorges subban diaz emelin weber and st. Denis. There is nothing to support the idea that RC has faced more injuries than JM did.

I never said that we have been more competitive or that RC has face more injuries. I said had we not had all those injuries our team would have looked pretty good. I due to when RC was thrown into the head coaching job he didn't have any time to arrange his game plan. Look at our recent play though. Beating Rangers, Leafs (who for some terrible reason we have not done well against), going to OT with a red hot Pittsburgh. I do think his style would give better long term results.

Yes its true Subban has been asked to play a bigger role than he should, but this is an issue both coaches have faced.

If we are more competitive today, its not showing in either the win column or the gf/ga column both of which are worse.

You may prefer the style the team is playing, but to say its getting better results is quite simply untrue.

Yes its true Subban has been asked to play a bigger role than he should, but this is an issue both coaches have faced.

If we are more competitive today, its not showing in either the win column or the gf/ga column both of which are worse.

You may prefer the style the team is playing, but to say its getting better results is quite simply untrue.

I'm going to repeat that I think we should ignore the first bit while he was getting settled into the job. We are beating the teams we should be beating. Tampa, Winnipeg, Leafs and pulled the upset against NY. We lost to Boston and St. Louis who are both RED HOT and to Washington. I think the results are STARTING to come. But this month we are... 4-3-2 against some of the hottest and tougher teams in the league.

We were 3-1-3 when jm was fired beating the rangers and other good teams too and with our only regulation loss to the then red hot flyers.Also if we ignore cunneyworths start, why not also ignore the 1-5-2 start to october?

• 4 weeks later...

Listened to l'AntiChambre tonight. They were talking about Cunneyworth's chances to come back next year. Bertrand Raymond was there. He said he was sure that he won't be there, no matter what he does with the team until the end of the season. That guy is pathetic. In his opinion, the coach absolutely has to speak French. Now, I am a French-Canadian and doesn't see it that way. IMO, Cunneyworth will be back as the head coach if he succeeds in bringing the team to the playoffs (that's a big «if», I know). So far, I would say that he has done a good job -- enough to raise a few eyebrows and earn a spot with another team if the Habs don't retain his services.

What kind of message would that send to fans if they fired him if they were able to make the playoffs? People would lose their minds, the anglophones would rise up, it would be a media shit storm.

Although RC's record has been less than flattering so far, I haven't seen any glaring mistakes or reasons to hire someone else. (from an entertainment prospective I want Roy, but that's for another thread). Hopefully this language thing goes away but likely won't happen. I think if motivated enough, RC could learn quite a bit of french before the next season starts if given a chance.

What kind of message would that send to fans if they fired him if they were able to make the playoffs? People would lose their minds, the anglophones would rise up, it would be a media shit storm. Although RC's record has been less than flattering so far, I haven't seen any glaring mistakes or reasons to hire someone else. (from an entertainment prospective I want Roy, but that's for another thread). Hopefully this language thing goes away but likely won't happen. I think if motivated enough, RC could learn quite a bit of french before the next season starts if given a chance.

i've liked him better the JM, but I think both he and PG are gone - PG in particular should be gone.

i've liked him better the JM, but I think both he and PG are gone - PG in particular should be gone.

The question is should he be gone if he shows that he is a very good coach? The answer, for me, is no.

The question is should he be gone if he shows that he is a very good coach? The answer, for me, is no.

It's not whether he is a good coach or not. THe question is, do we need the circus at the start of the year, where the focus is on the language of the coach. Having a circus like that prolonged longer then it has this year, are only going to sour players more on Montreal. I don't think quebecers are going to accept a non-french coach unless you bring in a proven winner.

Cunneyworth is widely respected, and the team does seem to be playing with more cohesion and confidence over the past 2-3 weeks. Of course, this may have as much to do with eliminating the (apparent) locker-room cancer that was Cammalleri as with coaching. And certainly the team is playing no more impressively than it did under Martin last season.

In light of this, I think what we've got here is a good coach among dozens of other good coaches out there. Certainly he has not effected any miraculous turnaround, like Hitchcock did in St. Louis. So there seems to be no particularly pressing reason - other than human decency, hardly a relevant variable in the win-or-else world of pro sports - to keep him around after this season. We could presumably find a bilingual coach who is comparably effective.

My main concern is eliminating Pierre Gauthier and bringing in a GM of stature who can impose a coherent vision and offer a firm hand in the inevitable times of crisis. Since a GM will want to bring his own coach on board, you can't argue for keeping Cunneyworth without also arguing for keeping PG. In short, I think Cunney should be cut loose as collateral damage in the desirable overhaul of the Habs' front office, despite his apparent competence.

It's not whether he is a good coach or not. THe question is, do we need the circus at the start of the year, where the focus is on the language of the coach. Having a circus like that prolonged longer then it has this year, are only going to sour players more on Montreal. I don't think quebecers are going to accept a non-french coach unless you bring in a proven winner.

What's the best situation? Not having a circus by hiring a French-speaking and not knowing if he is good enough for the job or giving the job to Cunneyworth if he has proved that he is competent and can do the job. For me, the answer is clear. As for what the Quebecers will accept or not, let me know what I think. I am a Quebecer and I will be very glad if he brings the team to the playoffs. And I would be pissed off if he did not get the job after that. Sure, there would be some lunatics whow would still ask for a French-Canadian, but they would not be hockey fans. In Quebec, we want a winning-team; if Cunneyworth is part of the solution, he should get the job.

What's the best situation? Not having a circus by hiring a French-speaking and not knowing if he is good enough for the job or giving the job to Cunneyworth if he has proved that he is competent and can do the job. For me, the answer is clear. As for what the Quebecers will accept or not, let me know what I think. I am a Quebecer and I will be very glad if he brings the team to the playoffs. And I would be pissed off if he did not get the job after that. Sure, there would be some lunatics whow would still ask for a French-Canadian, but they would not be hockey fans. In Quebec, we want a winning-team; if Cunneyworth is part of the solution, he should get the job.

JC? Maybe you should fire off a few emails. Bertrand Raymond, Ron Fournier, people like that need to hear from you.