Cunneyworth coaching assessment

BCHabnut

Problem with Cunneyworth is that he has to complete change the system, and mindset of a group that has been playing a certian way for 3 years. On many accounts our players were out of shape.

Personally I like what he has done, just hope the results soon follow.

Problem with Cunneyworth is that he has to complete change the system, and mindset of a group that has been playing a certian way for 3 years. On many accounts our players were out of shape.

Personally I like what he has done, just hope the results soon follow.

That boggles the mind considering that the first thing JM addressed when he came on board was, you guessed it, the fact that our players were out of shape :lol:

The more I think about it, the more I think the Martin firing - taken in context - is glaring evidence of incompetent management, either due to ownership interference or simply GM panicking. Think about it:

-the team does well in most areas but the PP is awful. As a result, we're losing too many games.

-the inadequacy of the PP is clearly tied to the departure of Wiz and the ongoing injury to Markov. The coach makes repeated, veiled reference to this need for blueline help when he identifies our 'rookie defence' as the reason for losses.

-Gauthier FINALLY listens to the coach and goes out and gets a competent PP defenceman in Kaberle.

-only a few games later, way before the Kaberle experiment can be said to have been given a fair shake, Martin is fired.

-the reason for the firing, we learn, is that half the players were in rebellion against JM. Cammalleri is the most obvious culprit.

-a month later, after the team has fired the coach because of the (apparently) Cammy-led rebellion, Cammy is traded.

This is the very picture of managerial incoherence. If a coach tells you he needs player X, you don't acquire player X and then immediately fire the coach. If you fire a coach because of a player rebellion, you don't fire the coach to accommodate the players and then immediately trade key the player who you were trying to accommodate by firing the coach. :bonk: The Habs have wasted a year in panicky 'reaction' mode. They need a new plan, a quick.

That boggles the mind considering that the first thing JM addressed when he came on board was, you guessed it, the fact that our players were out of shape :lol:

The more I think about it, the more I think the Martin firing - taken in context - is glaring evidence of incompetent management, either due to ownership interference or simply GM panicking. Think about it:

-the team does well in most areas but the PP is awful. As a result, we're losing too many games.

-the inadequacy of the PP is clearly tied to the departure of Wiz and the ongoing injury to Markov. The coach makes repeated, veiled reference to this need for blueline help when he identifies our 'rookie defence' as the reason for losses.

-Gauthier FINALLY listens to the coach and goes out and gets a competent PP defenceman in Kaberle.

-only a few games later, way before the Kaberle experiment can be said to have been given a fair shake, Martin is fired.

-the reason for the firing, we learn, is that half the players were in rebellion against JM. Cammalleri is the most obvious culprit.

-a month later, after the team has fired the coach because of the (apparently) Cammy-led rebellion, Cammy is traded.

This is the very picture of managerial incoherence. If a coach tells you he needs player X, you don't acquire player X and then immediately fire the coach. If you fire a coach because of a player rebellion, you don't fire the coach to accommodate the players and then immediately trade key the player who you were trying to accommodate by firing the coach. :bonk: The Habs have wasted a year in panicky 'reaction' mode. They need a new plan, a quick.

Sounds plausible if the waves on the surface were reflective of the undercurrent. No way to know really, and game plans do change. Not that I know anything.. always true.

Overall, I like the forecheck a lot better, but he still has no answer for the pp, and thats the main reason we suck as badly as we do this year. If we could score on the pp, we'd be in the top 8.

Overall, I like the forecheck a lot better, but he still has no answer for the pp, and thats the main reason we suck as badly as we do this year. If we could score on the pp, we'd be in the top 8.

We need to mix up our PP personnel and simplify the PP. Make sure there is ALWAYS someone in front of the friggin net!!! the other forwards and Dmen, need to be in a position where they can actually shoot from.

First thing is WHOEVER is playing the point needs to practice hitting the friggin net. Guys like Subban need to be told get the friggin shot through and get the shot through FAST. To that end, use a wrister over a slap shot. Right now, teams don't really see our point shot as a threat. When we actually take the shot, we are hitting defenders, our own guys or missing the net.

Secondly, the forwards are to far along the boards where them shooting is not even an option. Teams are letting them stay along the boards and effectively taking away the point option and the slot option, becuase the forward rarely has a chance to shoot, let alone score, based on where tehy are positioned (Pleks has been guilty of this).

Lastly, if we are going to put a forward on the point, why not have a guy like AK46 who has a laser for a shot???? Give him clear instructions to take the friggin shot and not get cute!!!!!

The other thing i don't get is, doesn't this team practice for shootouts???? Cunneyworth should have 3 to 5 guys that spend 20 minutes each day that practice the shootout and these are the go to guys. It's pathetic how we supposedly have a lot of small skilled forwards and they can't score on a shootout.

We need to mix up our PP personnel and simplify the PP. Make sure there is ALWAYS someone in front of the friggin net!!! the other forwards and Dmen, need to be in a position where they can actually shoot from.

First thing is WHOEVER is playing the point needs to practice hitting the friggin net. Guys like Subban need to be told get the friggin shot through and get the shot through FAST. To that end, use a wrister over a slap shot. Right now, teams don't really see our point shot as a threat. When we actually take the shot, we are hitting defenders, our own guys or missing the net.

Secondly, the forwards are to far along the boards where them shooting is not even an option. Teams are letting them stay along the boards and effectively taking away the point option and the slot option, becuase the forward rarely has a chance to shoot, let alone score, based on where tehy are positioned (Pleks has been guilty of this).

Lastly, if we are going to put a forward on the point, why not have a guy like AK46 who has a laser for a shot???? Give him clear instructions to take the friggin shot and not get cute!!!!!

The other thing i don't get is, doesn't this team practice for shootouts???? Cunneyworth should have 3 to 5 guys that spend 20 minutes each day that practice the shootout and these are the go to guys. It's pathetic how we supposedly have a lot of small skilled forwards and they can't score on a shootout.

Darche did a pretty nice screen on that Diaz goal ;)

Keep in mind though that our PK has been great this year,so as bad as the pp has been,the PK evens that out.

I think some people like his style more, and he is more aggressive on the forecheck then JM was. The fact that the team is actually doing worse however is because the core problem with this team never was the coaching. I am not a fan of JM by any means, but he squeaked out points and I think coached reasonablely well, even if I didn't like the system itself.

The issue with this team is that it isn't very good and some of the key parts are injured. The overall lack of talent and size is a management issue, not a coaching issue. Its not something that is going to be fixed overnight and worse, I am not convinced PG is capable of fixing it.

This team needs someone to have a plan to build around our core and put together a cup contender, not a "playoff contender".

JM was a fine coach for this team and understood that it would live or die by its goaltending and special teams. Despite all the endless bitching, he implemented a system that maxed out our prospects.

The team died, as it turned out, by its powerplay. This had nothing to do with JM, as the ongoing debacle shows pretty clearly.

Brobin is correct that this team was never among the NHL's heavy-hitters. But I maintain that, had our PP been good, we would be easily in playoff position and highly competitive - a team with a legitimate 'outside chance.' The reason our PP was no good has to do with the absence of a QB on the point and that gets back to the Markov injury. What I don't quite grasp is why Kaberle has failed to help the powerplay in any discernable way despite excellent overall offensive numbers.

JM was a fine coach for this team and understood that it would live or die by its goaltending and special teams. Despite all the endless bitching, he implemented a system that maxed out our prospects.

The team died, as it turned out, by its powerplay. This had nothing to do with JM, as the ongoing debacle shows pretty clearly.

Brobin is correct that this team was never among the NHL's heavy-hitters. But I maintain that, had our PP been good, we would be easily in playoff position and highly competitive - a team with a legitimate 'outside chance.' The reason our PP was no good has to do with the absence of a QB on the point and that gets back to the Markov injury. What I don't quite grasp is why Kaberle has failed to help the powerplay in any discernable way despite excellent overall offensive numbers.

I think Kaberle has stabilized the PP, but they now lack the shot from the point that can actually get to the net. Subban is too predictable, and is blocked or misses the net A LOT. So either he needs time to work it out, or the PP needs someone with a more accurate wheelhouse ejector.

We'll have to disagree on Martin. As for the record under Cunney. A couple of things working against him. First the timing. Martin should have been fired when Pearn was fired. The losing attitude had gotten worse as the season progressed. To make Matters worse, instead of changing coaches before a road trip and break - like before the the California road trip, the goat pulls his useless rash bullshit and makes the change on a game day.

Also don't forget, that both Molson and PG, pretty much kicked him where the sun don't shine and then backed the bus over him. I don't think there has ever been more of a lame duck coach in history.

As for Kaberle, he is useles, for the same reasons he was useless to boston, Carolina and the leafs during his last couple of years. Yes he got his points in Toronto, but we're they a better team with him??

In Boston he may have had the most PP points, but did he actually make the PP better???

He represents what Cammy called the losing attitude. Instead of trying to create a winning culture, PG acquired another loser. This in a nutshell is why I was against this deal from the start.

English guy who had impeccable record in Ahl comes in with no Nhl head coaching experience and he can't turn a team around in two weeks, that team that has stunk under an experinced head coach for the entire season, and you tell me he can't coach. Give yourself a shake.

JM is a great coach for sub-par teams. Like ours. he would also do well with Columbus,NYI Edm. etc. There's a reason he is in the top 10 in regular season wins,but also has a losing playiff record and has coached more games than any coach in HISTORY to never reach the finals. Mediocre

Coach was 500 on the season, and was 3-1-3 in his last 7 games before getting axed.

He was still doing better than Cunneyworth.

Its not that I think Cunneyworth is a crappy coach, but I think JM was squeezing more points out of this roster than most guys are capable of doing. I think JM had them performing above their talent level (2 top 4 D, and only 1 top 6 centre)

Coach was 500 on the season, and was 3-1-3 in his last 7 games before getting axed.

He was still doing better than Cunneyworth.

Its not that I think Cunneyworth is a crappy coach, but I think JM was squeezing more points out of this roster than most guys are capable of doing. I think JM had them performing above their talent level (2 top 4 D, and only 1 top 6 centre)

And I think that is because JM knew this wasn't a very good team. As someone said, goaltending and tight games with a PP is their only chance. This is not a team like Boston that is going to dominate another team.

JM was getting better results in regards to the points earned column, but in the long run, RC may be the better option, IMO..

Since the firing of Martin, it seems as though Eller's offensive game has started to grow and the consistent line juggling by JM was getting old which was causing countless too many men penalties...I just feel RC is a better situational coach as he knows how to adjust his system mid game and keeps a some what consistent line up together enabling a better chance to gel between linemates..

Martin signifies mediocrity..He has never won anything of significance as a coach in this league..He may coach a team to a playoff berth, but results in the post season have been below expectations...I also hear he wasn't a great ear for the players, either, which causes friction and nervousness among it's players..

This is a racist thread designed specifically to oust Cunneyworth before he has a chance to succeed. In the end he may fail, but because he was made coach he desires a shot.

Just no, no, and no.

JM was getting better results in regards to the points earned column, but in the long run, RC may be the better option, IMO..

Since the firing of Martin, it seems as though Eller's offensive game has started to grow and the consistent line juggling by JM was getting old which was causing countless too many men penalties...I just feel RC is a better situational coach as he knows how to adjust his system mid game and keeps a some what consistent line up together enabling a better chance to gel between linemates..

Martin signifies mediocrity..He has never won anything of significance as a coach in this league..He may coach a team to a playoff berth, but results in the post season have been below expectations...I also hear he wasn't a great ear for the players, either, which causes friction and nervousness among it's players..

I don't know about blaming Martin for never winning in the playoffs. He's never had a team capable of winning imo. In ottawa he had a good group of skaters, but Patrick Lalime in net. They never got a legit goalie until after he left. In montreal, he had the goalies, but not the skaters; and yet he took Montreal to the ECF and was 1 goal away from knocking off Boston. I think with a true cup contending team he can win, he's just never had one but has taken what he has had farther than they otherwise shouldve gone.

Gong on memeory but we have 6 points out of the possible last 10. If we keep up that pace we won;t be that far off a playoff position. One week go 6 points, 1 week go 7 and we'll be right there.

I personally like what I have seen from Cunneyworth but still don;t like him as coach because he is a lame duck.

Gong on memeory but we have 6 points out of the possible last 10. If we keep up that pace we won;t be that far off a playoff position. One week go 6 points, 1 week go 7 and we'll be right there.

I personally like what I have seen from Cunneyworth but still don;t like him as coach because he is a lame duck.

6 out of 10 for the rest of the season won't do it.That'll get us to around 88pts. i don't want to go in like that.We are 2 points out of last BTW.