Please, no desperation moves just to try to squeak into the playoffs!

REV-G

Hmm, potentially 7 points from the 2nd pick in the draft (forgetting the lottery for a moment) or 7 points from the playoffs. Both Anaheim and Pittsburgh have a game in hand. Tampa and the Isles have 1 and 2, respectively, so both could pass the Habs in the standings if they manage to win those.

So how do you see it? 7 pts from the playoffs? 7 pts from a high pick?

definitely 7 points from a lottery pick.

They will go winless the next 4 games. I don't know who they play after that.

The Isles and Anaheim are coming on, let's hope they continue to roll.

Tampa for whatever reason is pathetic, Columbus and Edmonton are locks to be behind the habs.

i dont know... im the kind of guy who never says die ever!!! as far fetched as making the playoffs seem technically we need to replicate half a season comparable to all of boston, NY, philly, van, det, chic, st louis this season all having reached 52 or more in the first half! then you have OTT florida sanjose all firing in at 50 pts! this is definetly do-able considering we've been able to beat all those teams on any given night outside of chicago and detroit in recent times! not to mention we made a similar run what 3 seasons ago to get into the playoffs and go all the way to the conference finals.

now im not saying dont trade campoli or weber gill etc.. guys who wont have a spot here beyond this season.. im just saying it aint over just yet

break it down:

winnepeg had a strong 10 game stretch and have now cooled off

pitt's in a load of trouble now with no crosby, neal 6 weeks and staal 4-6! is letang back?

toronto... well no comment!

buffalo... injuries have crippled them also and i think toe to toe were better

ott has played well of late and have shown no signs of letting up

NJ is good to and i think stay in the mix

1. BOS

2. NYR

3. Philly

4. FLA

5. NJ

6. WAS

7. MON

8. OTT

9.TOR

10. PITT

11. winn

12. buff

we cant all go 25-11-5 to end the season???

is it achievable for us?? well if we can stay relatively healthy which has been the biggest key for us over the years then i think we can and will do it... january is the key! winning head to head games and the confidence boosting return of markov and white in february!

DONT FORGET the "NEW/OLD" goal song HAS given me an added ray of hope that something magical is about to happen!!LOL

I cannot believe for one minute that we can even expect or think that we could actually lose only 11 regulation games for the rest of the regular season. Not this year!

I still don't get why you guys want to sneak into the playoffs. I want to win the playoffs and if this isn't our year, lets build the team to dominate. Mediocrity has been tried for 15 years now.. it doesn't work.

Boston, Philly, Pitts.. all spent time at the bottom and built a strong, young team to be serious contenders. Some people here seem fixated in being fodder in the first round of the playoffs, year after year.

Forget whether this team can or can't make the playoffs. The questions is, is this team good enough? Is it big enough? Is it tough enough... TO WIN THE CUP!!!!

I say no, so I hope they take the opportunity to adjust the team for the long term, not make short term trades to "sneak in" or complete for a round.

I think you're absolutely right. Making the playoffs is probably the goal of most owners, then on to the cup. And I understand that buisiness side of it. But I believe for Montreal fans it isn't/shouldn't be just about getting into the playoffs, it's about winning the cup. That's what our focus and goal has to be. So let's make the decisions now that will get us to the place as a team where we will be a cup contender for years, the way Sam Pollock and Ron Caron did for so long.

Gomez is garbage, Markov is likely a perma-gimp, Cammy appears disinterested, Max Pac is a shadow of his former self...and now Gionta (who was an overpriced Smurf to being with) is hurt yet again. The writing is on the wall....FORGET THE PLAYOFFS.

Time for a new focus, boys...it's time to raise the white flag and get behind the new goal: FAIL FOR NAIL!!!

Seller for sure. This year is cursed. Just accept it and move forward.

I confess to being worried that PG will instead make a move to 'shore up' the club in Gio's absence, but hopefully he's not that moronic.

Cammy's comments - not so much his ripping his team as his blaming Cunneyworth for a lack of ice time - suggest that he should be moved. He quit on JM, now he's bitching about JM's replacement? Come on. I've been a Cammallerri fan, but he seems to want out, no point in keeping toxic waste around. And unlike the habitual crowd of pessimists I definitely think he will have value at the deadline. Package him and see what shakes out.

Yes, to be clear, I mean to sell towards the deadline and specifically not buy short term help.

I also think that Cammy could go. Gionta can't go being injured and if Gomez goes it will be a gift from another team, I don't expect it to happen. So other then some up coming free agents like Gill, Cammy is the only one who could return some decent value.

oh yes..let's move our best playoff producer (Cammalleri)....really smart? give your head a shake guys. who is Cammalleri going to yield in equivalent value when he is supposedly depreciating in value anyway? Why is he being used as a scapegoat in a season where a vast majority of the team has underachieved? a majority of you on here are so optimistic, short term moves don't fix long term leaks. If you want to yield value, trade players who are overexceeding their regular play and hope that a GM is unable to read between the lines. Also, last time a team made a deep run in the playoffs with an interim head coach? can't think of it to be quite honest..and even if they did, they didn't get very far (with very few exceptions)! Randy Cunneyworth is an assistant coach doing a Head Coach's job right now.

let's take a deep breath and realize that this team doesn't have much chemistry (if any at all), and they need some severe changes in order to become a legitimate contender. so with that being said, I bring to you all the sell list:

1) Andrei Kostitsyn--looks stellar some nights, ghost on others; will probably want big $ in offseason, isn't cap friendly for point production

2) Hal Gill--As much as I like gill and his PK expertise and big body presence, he would be a reasonably priced rental for a contender. may yield a pick

3) Travis Moen--his grit may be needed for a playoff contender thats lacking 3rd or 4th line depth--could yield a pick

4) Yannick Weber--versatile, big shot, might excel in another market..think after this year it's the end of the road for him and the habs anyway

5) Brian Gionta--Yes, I said it. Never thought this day would come, but leadership is basically non-existent. NJ would be a prime trading partner (since his brother is coming up in the system)--may actually yield an ok return or prospect [if he's healthy in time..not looking likely]

6) Andrei Markov--which GM rolls the dice on the human band-aid? lets hope he plays PPG if he's back in time to showcase and dump him on the 27th- this WILL yield us something good and what we NEED up front

7) DD--Why? we need size up front. he is 8/10 NHL players b!tch in the corners..not very effective on special teams either..over-exceeding year as well

Untouchables:

1) Cole

2) Maxpax

3) Plex

4) Cammy

5) Subban

6) Emelin

7) Leblanc

8) Gorges

9) the prospects of Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi

time to pack it in boys--bring up the farm, play for Yakupov, and hopefully get Kuznetsov's pick somehow. If not them, at least it's a big draft class this year. One might view this post as pessimistic, another may view it as a step in the right direction towards a promising long-term future for the organization

Psssst, you need to be in the playoffs to make use of a playoff producer. For some reason there's a rumour around that says Montreal is going to wait out January before deciding where they are. I'm not sure that's necessary this season. If Cammi can bring you an asset and a high pick, I say you make a move. And I still *like* Cammi.

I like Cammy's game, partly because I have more patience than some for players who are somewhat one-dimensional. He's all offence, but that sounds good to me!

Contractually, he is a complementary player being paid like a go-to guy. Indeed, he might be one of the very best complementary players in hockey when on his game. But it seems clear that he is not a guy who can be counted on to drive a team's offence. His critics were wrong to say he couldn't do anything without Iginla; they were right, though, that he cannot be 'the man' on a team. His job is to pot the opportunities created by others.

If Cammy finishes the season here, it will show great patience on the part of the Montreal Canadiens. He has betrayed the organization and his teammates twice this season: first, by being a key figure in the overthrow of Martin which cost us the first half; and second, by throwing Martin's replacement and his teammates under the bus.

Beyond that, he's an asset who can moved to get real value back. Teams know that this season is aberrant, and anyone who wants to add a proven gunner for the playoffs is going to be willing to pay. Here's a chance to acquire some significant elements for the future and/or re-jig what's clearly a pathological locker-room. Let's explore it seriously.

Cammy can be good if we get him with the right center. Like most goal scorers, he is hot and cold. That said, he is not performing up to snuff for a guy with his contract. I could tolerate this IF he wasn't a problem on the team.

None of us know for sure what is going on in that lockerroom, but indications are that Cammy is a problem. If he is, I trust that that management team will take care of this, either through attitude adjustment (long shot) or by trading him for another asset. For a guy bringing as little as Cammy, he can't be a problem in the room. There are other players who have limited roles, but are net positives on the room and the team (Gill has been in this boat). Cammy seems to be the opposite.

Look, as a manager I build teams and I can tell you that regardless of talent, a bad apple kills the team. Super talent and quirky is not a problem. Good talent but team wrecker has to go. Period.

Cammi is 10 feet further from the net on average. He's also not moving into the slot like he used to. Whether that's mental issues, or part of the "grand scheme" (I doubt it) I don't know, but while his shot is great, he's not going to score a lot of one-timers from beyond the circles. This is the NHL. Not the ECHL.

I like Cammy's game, partly because I have more patience than some for players who are somewhat one-dimensional. He's all offence, but that sounds good to me!

Contractually, he is a complementary player being paid like a go-to guy. Indeed, he might be one of the very best complementary players in hockey when on his game. But it seems clear that he is not a guy who can be counted on to drive a team's offence. His critics were wrong to say he couldn't do anything without Iginla; they were right, though, that he cannot be 'the man' on a team. His job is to pot the opportunities created by others.

If Cammy finishes the season here, it will show great patience on the part of the Montreal Canadiens. He has betrayed the organization and his teammates twice this season: first, by being a key figure in the overthrow of Martin which cost us the first half; and second, by throwing Martin's replacement and his teammates under the bus.

Beyond that, he's an asset who can moved to get real value back. Teams know that this season is aberrant, and anyone who wants to add a proven gunner for the playoffs is going to be willing to pay. Here's a chance to acquire some significant elements for the future and/or re-jig what's clearly a pathological locker-room. Let's explore it seriously.

I aint got your patience (if he was hard working or was productive last year) , but no matter, i wonder if trade with Minnisota for another possible mal content in Setagouchi and maybe a pick for Superstar is doable or fair trade?

I aint got your patience (if he was hard working or was productive last year) , but no matter, i wonder if trade with Minnisota for another possible mal content in Setagouchi and maybe a pick for Superstar is doable or fair trade?

I don't think either side would welcome a Cammalleri-Setoguchi deal. Setoguchi was a key piece in the Burns deal; though he's struggling this year, I doubt they're ready to give up on him yet. Minnesota's not a cap spending team, the $4 million difference in terms of actual salary (3 vs 7 next year) would offset the extra offensive contributions Cammalleri would bring (and that's before considering what type of pick they'd move). From the Habs side, a 2nd/3rd liner isn't great value for Cammalleri unless the deal was simply to shed money. Even so, there's probably a better cap dump move out there, quality of the draft pick notwithstanding of course.

Well it has started...whether it was Gautier on his own or from orders from above(Gainey + Molson). In a totally unclassy display Cammy was removed in-game in Boston with the team trailing by 1 going into the 3rd period. What kind of message is this to the team? Do you really expect to see them pushing hard to jump teams ahead of them trying to reach the 8th spot for the playoffs when management handcuffs them like this? Can you tell me why we take the Russian Dozer out of tonites game vs the Sens in place of Campoli? Oh I forgot its an "Alum" game old Ottawa players get to lace'm up together. This team's management really doesn't want to win this year. We're sitting 12th but the Isles have 2 games in hand and we're staring at another loss vs. the Rangers Sunday with Budajai in goal. We are the team champions of the 2 goal game and its going to take us a while to get out of that rut.

As far as future moves.."Kovy" above drafted up a pretty smart list. I'm torn on Weber as he is a "poster boy" for mis-used for the last year and a half. The guy is sheer dynamite on the PP with that shot. He knows how to sneak in and use it from the face-off circle or can blast away from the point. I think with fresh mgmt + new coach in place he could be a good asset for us next year. Kabby could be had for a pick for a playoff team thats looking for a PP-defensive playmaker. I think we need in the next 4 wks to approach both Moen + AK to see their feelings on signing extentions. I think with the gaffs our Mgmt has made this year it is going to be extrememly difficult to attract FAs here this summer. So retaining to big Power Forwards that can help this team is a good idea. If they are sour to rre-signing then you push them out asap and don't wait for the deadline. We cannot continue this habit of letting our UFAs walk away for free. This has cost us dearly in the past and hurt our future. We are living those results now. I just have this feeling that we are not going to address the Team's biggest need once again - #1 Centre. We need a Joe Thornton protoype player - that size, stature & ability. No more of this drafting or trading for the 5" 7" player types. Until the NHL had ridded itself of the nastyness that pervades the sport today - see Boston Bruins line-up and general on-ice attitude & antics......big and bold is the way to go......and one last thing. For crying out loud.....can they score for pete's sake! Isn't that the most important part of the game besides winning.

Well it has started...whether it was Gautier on his own or from orders from above(Gainey + Molson). In a totally unclassy display Cammy was removed in-game in Boston with the team trailing by 1 going into the 3rd period. What kind of message is this to the team? Do you really expect to see them pushing hard to jump teams ahead of them trying to reach the 8th spot for the playoffs when management handcuffs them like this? Can you tell me why we take the Russian Dozer out of tonites game vs the Sens in place of Campoli? Oh I forgot its an "Alum" game old Ottawa players get to lace'm up together. This team's management really doesn't want to win this year. We're sitting 12th but the Isles have 2 games in hand and we're staring at another loss vs. the Rangers Sunday with Budajai in goal. We are the team champions of the 2 goal game and its going to take us a while to get out of that rut.

As far as future moves.."Kovy" above drafted up a pretty smart list. I'm torn on Weber as he is a "poster boy" for mis-used for the last year and a half. The guy is sheer dynamite on the PP with that shot. He knows how to sneak in and use it from the face-off circle or can blast away from the point. I think with fresh mgmt + new coach in place he could be a good asset for us next year. Kabby could be had for a pick for a playoff team thats looking for a PP-defensive playmaker. I think we need in the next 4 wks to approach both Moen + AK to see their feelings on signing extentions. I think with the gaffs our Mgmt has made this year it is going to be extrememly difficult to attract FAs here this summer. So retaining to big Power Forwards that can help this team is a good idea. If they are sour to rre-signing then you push them out asap and don't wait for the deadline. We cannot continue this habit of letting our UFAs walk away for free. This has cost us dearly in the past and hurt our future. We are living those results now. I just have this feeling that we are not going to address the Team's biggest need once again - #1 Centre. We need a Joe Thornton protoype player - that size, stature & ability. No more of this drafting or trading for the 5" 7" player types. Until the NHL had ridded itself of the nastyness that pervades the sport today - see Boston Bruins line-up and general on-ice attitude & antics......big and bold is the way to go......and one last thing. For crying out loud.....can they score for pete's sake! Isn't that the most important part of the game besides winning.

Moen and AK are in contract years. This is as good as you will see from AK,which isn't that great.Bourque is a Canadian version of him.And we dumped 2 yrs of Cammi at $12m for 4 yrs of Bourque @ $13m.Moen is a very good playoff performer. I would try to sell high on both.Same with Gill. Campoli is a waste of space and get anything,if you can for him. kaberle is unmovable with his contract,unless Gainey heads up another team. Keeping Weber and Diaz is redundant. 1 "swiss miss" is more than enough.Stock up on picks and get some competent people to use them in off-season trades or upgrades

Cammy wants to score with a perfect shot from the boards. He needs to go to the damn net and stay higher in the slot. You know, the dangerous areas that Pacs and Cole hang out in.

I'm not sold on Pacs. I don't think he's ever scored 20 at any level,and definitely not 30

Moen and AK are in contract years. This is as good as you will see from AK,which isn't that great.Bourque is a Canadian version of him.And we dumped 2 yrs of Cammi at $12m for 4 yrs of Bourque @ $13m.Moen is a very good playoff performer. I would try to sell high on both.Same with Gill. Campoli is a waste of space and get anything,if you can for him. kaberle is unmovable with his contract,unless Gainey heads up another team. Keeping Weber and Diaz is redundant. 1 "swiss miss" is more than enough.Stock up on picks and get some competent people to use them in off-season trades or upgrades

I'm not sold on Pacs. I don't think he's ever scored 20 at any level,and definitely not 30

If we are gonna talk about "any level".... he scored over 30 last year... 17 in the AHL and 14 in the NHL with his callup for 31 goals on the season and this all after being injured in February and missing the rest of the season.

If we are gonna talk about "any level".... he scored over 30 last year... 17 in the AHL and 14 in the NHL with his callup for 31 goals on the season and this all after being injured in February and missing the rest of the season.

Commandant, go easy on this guy, he's new! You're destroying his arguments one by one.

Commandant, go easy on this guy, he's new! You're destroying his arguments one by one.

Sorry I didn't realize it was the same guy as the Euro one. But the Euro argument is one that is a pet peeve of mine, even though I'm a proud Canadian.... I just really dislike the belief that place of birth makes you better than someone else.

As for this one.. I'm not as set on it... though i do like Pacs.

To the Rookie.... Welcome .... and stick up an avatar so we can all more easily identify you.