Montreal at Ottawa

Colin

You got it brobin. I come to my favorite website on a cold, winter Saturday night. What do I find? Losers, wanting to lose.

No.. we want to win. The CUP! I know it is hard, but you can't win every season and when you know the team has no hope to even make the playoffs, then find the silver lining. Our kids should get lots of ice time. If the GM plays his cards right, he can draft and trade to make this a great team in a year or two.

We are five points from 2nd last. That gives a good shot in the lottery for a top 3 pick.

also.. don't rule out a shortened or lost season next year. If that happens, we could have two good picks over two years... sweet.

Just in case anyone was wondering...

At the conclusion of the regular season, the 14 NHL teams not qualifying for the playoffs are entered in a weighted lottery to determine the initial draft picks in the first round, seeded according to regular season standing. The 30th-place team has a 25% chance of winning the lottery, with odds diminishing to a 0.5% chance for the 17th-place team. A single selection from the lottery pool is made, with the winning team improving its draft position by up to four places, and no team dropping more than one place. Therefore, only the 26th through 30th place teams are eligible to receive the first overall draft pick.[7][8] Consequently, the 30th place team's chance of retaining the first overall pick improves to 48.2%.[5] The order in the remaining rounds is unaffected by the lottery and is based on regular season standings.

We haven't had a 100 pt scorer or 50 goal scorer since the 80s for crying out loud.

I want an elite NHL scorer.

I want to be the flying frenchmen again.

And you are far more likely to find these guys at the top of the draft.... not 100% certain, nothing is, but far more likely.

If you want an elite NHL scorer, you either have to be very lucky when signing a free agent or making a trade, or like you say have a top draft pick. There's no other way.

I agree that we should be amassing picks. The usual list - Gill, Moen, Kosty (if he can't be signed), Campoli, etc. - should be shipped out for picks or prospects. Unload Gomez in the off-season and suddenly you've got mountains of cap space and a lot of future assets.

As for 'hoping the Habs lose,' even if brobin is right and we're well-positioned to bag a top-3 pick, I think we can trust these jerks to lose enough games without our psychic encouragement. When I watch the team play, I want them to win. Period.

• Upvote 1

If you want an elite NHL scorer, you either have to be very lucky when signing a free agent or making a trade, or like you say have a top draft pick. There's no other way.

You can get a lucky draft pick like Perry (late first) or Datsyuk (mid rounds) too.

But these are rare, and your chances improve exponentially at the top of the draft. Which is why I want the highest pick possible.

I agree that we should be amassing picks. The usual list - Gill, Moen, Kosty (if he can't be signed), Campoli, etc. - should be shipped out for picks or prospects. Unload Gomez in the off-season and suddenly you've got mountains of cap space and a lot of future assets.

As for 'hoping the Habs lose,' even if brobin is right and we're well-positioned to bag a top-3 pick, I think we can trust these jerks to lose enough games without our psychic encouragement. When I watch the team play, I want them to win. Period.

You're probably right. We have a very small opening to make the playoffs. Maybe two more weeks and we should have a very good visibility about the real probabilities. If we don't win four of the next six games, it will be finished. It won't be easy. Tomorrow we play against the Rangers, Wednesday the Caps, Friday the Penguins, Saturday the Leafs, Wednesday the Red Wings and Tuesday the 31th the Sabres. We need at least 8 points out of 12; and that is a minimum.

You can get a lucky draft pick like Perry (late first) or Datsyuk (mid rounds) too.

But these are rare, and your chances improve exponentially at the top of the draft. Which is why I want the highest pick possible.

Yeah, scanning through past draft results, there is a lot of variation, but on balance it seems that only the top 2-3 picks can be relied upon to yield heavy-duty impact players. In other words, I'm not so sure that a #5 pick is all that much greater than a #10 pick in this regard. (Of course it's not as though I've crunched these numbers so I stand to be corrected by statisticians; but consider that we took Price at #5 and LA took Kopitar at #11). In terms of probabilities, I suspect we need to draft no lower than 3rd overall to have a reliable shot at a franchise player. And even going to 3rd overall, the record from 2005 to 2010 is

-Jack Johnson

-Jonathan Towes

-Kyle Turris

-Zach Bogosian

-Matt Duchene

-Eric Gudbranson

I see one clear cut 'franchise' player there (Towes). The rest aren't exactly garbage, but I dunno, I don't see myself hanging on the edge of my seat pulling for the Habs to lose so we can draft the equivalent of Turris or Bogosian.

So I still think the odds are against us coming out of this with a franchise player. Sorry, guys.

If you believe in your scouts.... and I certainly have a lot of faith in Timmins and his staff.... you want to give them the best pick possible.

There is no doubt in my mind I'd rather give Timmins the 3rd choice than the 4th one or 5th or 10th, or 15th.... better is still better.

Even when we crunch the numbers, our scouts have the best chance if they are able to make their list and then cross off less names before walking to the podium.

there's no way i want the habs to lose... i want them to fight there way to 8th... 2 years ago we sat in 12th place. we had a horrible christmas road trip. returned after the break and went on a run that took us all the way to the conference finals!!

dont tell me the habs are getting blown out every night! cause there not. they just need some bounces to start going there way!

PG did mention that we have played all but 6 games 2 million under the cap floor!! what did you think are record would be???

with are luck... we'll tank get in the lottery end up with the 4th or 5th and pick a dud! we have to always always fight for glory!!

here's hoping rene can bring some goals

• Upvote 1

counting on these games as entertainment

And here's the killer point. Because really, what is hockey but entertainment? They don't even lose well. Some teams at least lose with flair, but not us. I'd rather Cunney let the boys lose. If we're going to lose (and we're going to lose) then go out swinging! Open the floodgates, two man forecheck, rush a defender, experiment! Let's lose in Flying Frenchman style rather than just another boring trap team.

bourque gomez cole

DD plex patches

moen eller kosty

blunden noki darche

Ughhh

Gill, PK,Gorges,Diaz,Weber,Campoli,Kaberle,Emelin.

Emelin and PK only top pair potential there. Gorges,steady but way overpaid and needs to be surrounded by size

camm's scores on a deflect in front of the net!!

brutal... i dont think he screened the goalie once in his whole mtl career!

He had 36 pts in 27 playoff games with us. Look how the other stiffs did.