Trade Value of: Campoli

dlbalr

I'd think we'd be lucky with that. I mean imagine an opposing GM> Any guy could have signed him for free but didn't. Secondly he cannot even get into the line-up of a 13th placed team in the East who are hurting on Defense. What would you give up for that?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we got to watch our 50 man limit. I prefer a pick because it would give us more flexibility in potential other deals. However if we have targetted a really good prospect such as Holland who has played a lot better than were he was drafted at, I am good with the prospect. I don't want just a body, that makes no sense.

A 18/19 year old guy still in the CHL wouldn't count towards the limit until he graduates. If we're talking a 2011 draft pick he likely doesn't count on the limit till the start of 2013-14 (unless a late birthday like Beaulieu who counts next year).

You could also be moving out guys like gill ak and moen soon so that might free up contracts too.

A 18/19 year old guy still in the CHL wouldn't count towards the limit until he graduates. If we're talking a 2011 draft pick he likely doesn't count on the limit till the start of 2013-14 (unless a late birthday like Beaulieu who counts next year).

You could also be moving out guys like gill ak and moen soon so that might free up contracts too.

Let's be honest here. Moen, Gill, Campoli, Weber, Ak46......thats 5 spots that can very easiy open up soon as you've mentioned. Plus can we not use the emergency situation and bring up Beaulieu or Tinordi on an emergency basis? If we've tanked then why not.

<p>

Let's be honest here.  Moen, Gill, Campoli, Weber, Ak46......thats 5 spots that can very easiy open up soon as you've mentioned.  Plus can we not use the emergency situation and bring up Beaulieu or Tinordi on an emergency basis?  If we've tanked then why not.

I think there has got to be injuries to use the emergency basis.  We'd use guys like St. Denis, and Stafford and other Hamilton guys if we ran too low on Defence.  London and St. John both have great teams and are Mem Cup contenders.

Even with Gill/Campoli/Weber gone we'd still have enough D to finish the season. Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Kaberle, St. Denis plus Markov might be healthy by then. If we are tanking anyway, we could use Stafford, Callahan, or Henry as the 7th if Markov isn't healthy.  I don't like them as regulars, but meh, the season is shot if you are trading all those D.

<p>

I think there has got to be injuries to use the emergency basis. We'd use guys like St. Denis, and Stafford and other Hamilton guys if we ran too low on Defence. London and St. John both have great teams and are Mem Cup contenders.

Even with Gill/Campoli/Weber gone we'd still have enough D to finish the season. Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Kaberle, St. Denis plus Markov might be healthy by then. If we are tanking anyway, we could use Stafford, Callahan, or Henry as the 7th if Markov isn't healthy. I don't like them as regulars, but meh, the season is shot if you are trading all those D.

How did it work 2 years ago then when Kadri was recalled from London in the middle of the season for emergency? I figured it had to do with the 50 player max rule.

How did it work 2 years ago then when Kadri was recalled from London in the middle of the season for emergency?  I figured it had to do with the 50 player max rule.

An emergency recall of a CHL player can't be for a long period of time. And the team has to meet certain rules about number of dmen and forwards unavailable.

How did it work 2 years ago then when Kadri was recalled from London in the middle of the season for emergency?  I figured it had to do with the 50 player max rule.

From the Rulebook:A player on loan to a Club of any league affiliated with the League may be recalled from such loan under emergency conditions at any time for the duration of the emergency only following which he must be returned promptly to the club from which he was recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.You'd have to prove that you are below 6 defencemen to call them up. 

My commentary.If Markov is healthy, thats 6D... If Markov isn't healthy, and St. Denis is called up, thats 6.  You could only call them up in emergencies.  And you still have guys on 2ways in the AHL.

Part of the thing with Kadri is there was an illness to one of the leaf forwards which happened on the day of the game vs San Jose.  The Marlies were on a road trip, and couldn't guarantee the player arriving in time.  Kadri was playing in London, and was just a two hour drive away.  The Leafs were forced to only play him one night, and then get a Marlie call up to elevate the emergency.

Emergency recalls from junior are only allowable on a one game basis, it's not as if the Habs could use a Beaulieu or Tinordi for the stretch run as they weren't signed prior to the deadline near the end of preseason. This was used with Kadri a couple years back, as well as Schenn with LA, JP Anderson with San Jose, Alex Pechurski with (I think) Pittsburgh. I think there was one this year as well. Said player must sign an ATO which does not count against the 50 player limit.

You guys are dreaming...Campoli is a healthy scratch on one of the most injured/inexperienced defenses in the NHL. This POS will get nothing, and is headed directly to the KHL.

I couldn't believe it when they announced his signing.A small, soft journeymen d-man was the last thing this team needed. And to prove PG incompetence(once again) he gave him a raise from last years salary even though he was unsigned and feared he wasn't going to get signed (His own words)

I couldn't believe it when they announced his signing.A small, soft journeymen d-man was the last thing this team needed. And to prove PG incompetence(once again) he gave him a raise from last years salary even though he was unsigned and feared he wasn't going to get signed (His own words)

There were other teams interested in him at the time he signed as well, it's not just the Habs who had contacted him. An arbitrator also deemed him worth I believe $2.5 million which is what got him unrestricted in the first place (Chicago walked away and then offered a lesser salary). I wasn't a big fan of the signing then but with Markov's uncertainty, a 1 year (short-term) deal made sense in theory.

To keep this going (as the article won't be up for a couple more days at least), if you had your choice between a pick or a prospect, what would your preference be?

First ask Timmins.... say its prospect X vs eg a 4th round pick and ask him, what type of players are projected to be available in round 4 and do you rate those players better, worse or the same as X? That should give you most of your answer.

If he's ranking them the same, I'd rather have the prospect, because he's closer to the NHL just due to increased development time. Also I'd prefer a forward.

No I get that. But what limits your availablility to trade is you don't have an extra slot to take on a bad contract. Gill might fetch something like a player and a pick along the lines of Rivet trade. I do agree that maybe Campoli goes and you get a pick and an extra spot. I would be inclined to leave the Bulldogs basically in tact and just pull people off waivers to play out the year in Montreal.

No I get that. But what limits your availablility to trade is you don't have an extra slot to take on a bad contract. Gill might fetch something like a player and a pick along the lines of Rivet trade. I do agree that maybe Campoli goes and you get a pick and an extra spot. I would be inclined to leave the Bulldogs basically in tact and just pull people off waivers to play out the year in Montreal.

If you trade Campoli for the 19 year old though, you aren't using a contract slot. A 19 year old in the CHL doesn't count to the 50 man limit.

There were other teams interested in him at the time he signed as well, it's not just the Habs who had contacted him. An arbitrator also deemed him worth I believe $2.5 million which is what got him unrestricted in the first place (Chicago walked away and then offered a lesser salary). I wasn't a big fan of the signing then but with Markov's uncertainty, a 1 year (short-term) deal made sense in theory.

To keep this going (as the article won't be up for a couple more days at least), if you had your choice between a pick or a prospect, what would your preference be?

I would rather have a pick,even a 5th or 6th,as any prospect you get is going to be fringe at best. I don't believe for a minute that any other teams were interested.He signed for $1.7m here,when taking into account the taxes is like $1.5 anywhere else.He signed a week before camp. if there was interst he would have been signed before. Like I said before ,I was very disappointed they got him,when a smallish,soft dman was the last thing we needed.

If you trade Campoli for the 19 year old though, you aren't using a contract slot. A 19 year old in the CHL doesn't count to the 50 man limit.

I thought that was what I said. I agreed with your take on Campoli, but in my reference to the Rivet trade as it may apply to Gill, the prospect they got was Gorges who was in the AHL, thereby no extra spots. I am speculating on the flexibility of subsequent trades if we don't pay attention to our 50 man limit.

Sorry I misunderstood that you meant an AHL guy.

I agree we should try to end up with an extra contract spot or two after all the trades are done.

One other thing I'd like to see us do is target one or two of the best college FAs. They aren't sure things, but a free asset is nice.

Sorry I misunderstood that you meant an AHL guy.

I agree we should try to end up with an extra contract spot or two after all the trades are done.

One other thing I'd like to see us do is target one or two of the best college FAs. They aren't sure things, but a free asset is nice.

No doubt this is a good stategy because you have a better handle on the value of the asset.

I think a 3rd-4th round draft pick, or a B-type prospect are what he could attract. It will depend on how close to the trade deadline a deal is made, and the relative desperateness or the familiarity of the trading partner. For example, if the Hawks last a top 4 defenceman to a long term injury before the deadline, then they may give up a 3rd pick for him.

If i was a gm, even if we went to back to 12 rounds, i wouldn't give up a 12 rounder for this bum.

but Chicago did give up a 2nd right??? :pray:

A lot of deadline stuff is reputational. A bad stretch of games, though it may lower the pick offered, shouldn't take away from teams necessarily making an offer. (And as Campoli has played what, 12 games this year, that qualifies as a bad stretch.)

First ask Timmins.... say its prospect X vs eg a 4th round pick and ask him, what type of players are projected to be available in round 4 and do you rate those players better, worse or the same as X? That should give you most of your answer.

If he's ranking them the same, I'd rather have the prospect, because he's closer to the NHL just due to increased development time. Also I'd prefer a forward.

Timmins ? Another part that has to go. Leblanc is the only draftchoice in the last 4 that have even dressed in the NHL

With how he is played tonight we better hope nobody is scouting him yet.

Every time he plays his value drops.Face it,he's here for the season,taking developmental time from Weber,Diaz,Or Nash/StDenis in Hamilton

Timmins ? Another part that has to go. Leblanc is the only draftchoice in the last 4 that have even dressed in the NHL

Every time he plays his value drops.Face it,he's here for the season,taking developmental time from Weber,Diaz,Or Nash/StDenis in Hamilton

Well 2008 I do not even know if the Habs had a pick in the top 50 or 60 so thats not that surprising.

And 2007 I think there are like 4 good picks Max, PK, Ryan MC D and Weber.

Agree that he has made some mistakes and maybe should go but its not like he is the reason the Habs are not a dominant team.

and Nash still has not played a game for Hamilton.

I do agree I would rather see young guys in the line up over him and I do hope Campo is dealt very soon.

Well 2008 I do not even know if the Habs had a pick in the top 50 or 60 so thats not that surprising.

And 2007 I think there are like 4 good picks Max, PK, Ryan MC D and Weber.

Agree that he has made some mistakes and maybe should go but its not like he is the reason the Habs are not a dominant team.

and Nash still has not played a game for Hamilton.

I do agree I would rather see young guys in the line up over him and I do hope Campo is dealt very soon.

Impossible to evaluate a draft that is less than 5 years ago.

From 2008: Dany Kristo was our top pick, he remains a legitimate prospect and is playing in the NCAA where he is the top winger on his team.

You also have Steve Quailer who has really turned things on offensively for Northeastern this year and remains a prospect.

From 2009: You have Leblanc, Natinnen, Bennett, Avtsin and Dumont as your first 5 picks, all remain as prospects for this team; and are still way too young to write off.

In previous years, Timmins record probably puts him among the top 10 guys in the league, especially when you consider how late he found Dagostini, Sergei kostitsyn, Halak, Grabovski, and Mark Streit.