2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Rumors Galyenchuk will be back March 1st. If he has a strong finish and good playoffs, it will prove he's healthy and he'll easily go top 5.

Finishing in the bottom 5 is imperative for the Habs.

Adding 2nd round picks so they can package a first and 1 or 2 seconds to move up a spot or 2 would be great at the deadline too.

Need one of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Gally.

Rumors Galyenchuk will be back March 1st. If he has a strong finish and good playoffs, it will prove he's healthy and he'll easily go top 5.

Finishing in the bottom 5 is imperative for the Habs.

Adding 2nd round picks so they can package a first and 1 or 2 seconds to move up a spot or 2 would be great at the deadline too.

Need one of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Gally.

If only interested in centres

Wont get Yakupov, we night as well forget that, slim chance for Grigorenko, unless Gauthier does have a fire sale/Habs tank and Oilers/Carolina really want a d-man.

Galenchyuk is a better possibility at maybe 5th or 6th.

Girgensons or Faksa might fit the bill perfect and no doubt Habs wil get a crack at one or other.

But the best fit is Gaunce, if ,as Bob Mckenzie mentioned, his offenseive upside is there come end of year? I just have more faith in a canadian than a euro and just love Gaunce's size and he looked dandy at prospects game!

I want a centre who will become a first line centre down the road.

The only two guys who look like that to me are Galchenyuk and Grigorenko... so I trade up and ensure I get one of those two.

Gaunce, Faksa, Girgensons will all be nice players, but I see them more as second liners. We need a legit game changer, and at centre there are only 2.

That said if I get first overall via the lottery, I'm still taking Yakupov because even as a winger, his skill is too good to pass up.

I want a centre who will become a first line centre down the road.

The only two guys who look like that to me are Galchenyuk and Grigorenko... so I trade up and ensure I get one of those two.

Gaunce, Faksa, Girgensons will all be nice players, but I see them more as second liners. We need a legit game changer, and at centre there are only 2.

That said if I get first overall via the lottery, I'm still taking Yakupov because even as a winger, his skill is too good to pass up.

I still take one of the centres even trade down with who ever is 2nd if they promise to pick Yak.

Sabres blowout the Bruins 6-0 and move back ahead of us.....

Now we gotta hope for a 3pt game for Carolina/Anaheim.

It is wierd that i am paying more attention to standings and those below and around the Habs more than i ever did when battlin for 8th?

Maybe just cause i cant ever remember Habs having a crack at lottery pick and i think after this year they wont for another while neither?

So the sooner Gauthier starts trimming players, adding 2nd /3rd round picks, the better.

Someone posted top point NHL guys from 2000s and almost every last one came from first 3 rounds of draft, which is exactly where Habs have had very few picks (because they were traded to squeek into playoffs) and again i point to the last 2nd rounder Habs had, was Subban in 2007 and you just need those 30-to-90th picks to find future scorers. Unless you are already stocked like Caps/Fla/Hawks are now.

Since the Draft was instituted.... I think Bryan Trottier and Marty St. Louis are the only players to ever win the Art Ross Trophy and not be a 1st Round Draft pick. (Gretzky too, but Gretzky was never draft eligible.)

Trottier was the 1st pick of the 2nd round, which basically makes him a first rounder.

Trottier was the 1st pick of the 2nd round, which basically makes him a first rounder.

Fourth pick of the second round, actually. He was the Islanders second choice as well. Of course, their first choice was Clark Gillies so they did pretty well I'd say. Though Trott would in anyone's books be considered a second round pick.

Just for general interest, Montreal had five picks in that first round. They selected Cam Connor, Doug Risebrough, Rick Chartraw, Mario Tremblay and Gord McTavish. This was also the Taro Tsujimoto draft.

It is wierd that i am paying more attention to standings and those below and around the Habs more than i ever did when battlin for 8th?

Maybe just cause i cant ever remember Habs having a crack at lottery pick and i think after this year they wont for another while neither?

So the sooner Gauthier starts trimming players, adding 2nd /3rd round picks, the better.

Someone posted top point NHL guys from 2000s and almost every last one came from first 3 rounds of draft, which is exactly where Habs have had very few picks (because they were traded to squeek into playoffs) and again i point to the last 2nd rounder Habs had, was Subban in 2007 and you just need those 30-to-90th picks to find future scorers. Unless you are already stocked like Caps/Fla/Hawks are now.

Agree it would be a great idea to start moving the UFAs now. lower our position and prevent any of them from getting hurt.I still really believe that the management is thinking playoffs though

The next Sidney Crosbberry?

About MacKinnon a friend of mine played on a team with him last year and said that Nathan blew up at a coach who took him off the ice saying "Where will you be in 5 years? Nowhere, I'm going to be on the top of the NHL, what gives you the %$@$ right to take me off!" I've also heard he has issues with humility. Could be that he is just young and all. But I've heard iffy things around his ego.

About MacKinnon a friend of mine played on a team with him last year and said that Nathan blew up at a coach who took him off the ice saying "Where will you be in 5 years? Nowhere, I'm going to be on the top of the NHL, what gives you the %$@$ right to take me off!" I've also heard he has issues with humility. Could be that he is just young and all. But I've heard iffy things around his ego.

Yeah, I heard about that. It's pretty much why he was kept off of Team Canada. Roy and Messier were also huge egotistical dicks. Nobody said you had to be likeable. You just have to win.

http://www.halifaxmo...er/show/id/8533

Give me attitude please! Yes and if he wasn't kept off the nat'l team we wouldn't have settled for bronze. Reminds me of inviting Roy to tryout for the olymics instead of saying the job is yours if you would honor us with your presense. Dumb hockey choices.

He was 15 years old when he yelled at the coach, meh, who hasn't done stupid things at 15?

If its a repeative pattern of behavior over the next few years ill be concerned but for now its just one incident.

Thanks to you Commandant, I've got my eye on Brendan Gaunce. I've given up on hoping and praying for a lottery pick.

Thanks to you Commandant, I've got my eye on Brendan Gaunce. I've given up on hoping and praying for a lottery pick.

Gaunce is a great pick. I really like him, he was the guy I was focused on when I believed the Habs could make the playoffs. If they push themselves out of range for Galchenyuk, I'll focus on Gaunce again. My only question on Gaunce is wondering if he's got that elite first line potential, and I'm not sure about that. A future 2nd line center? I can see him potentially developping into that, but chances of being a true stud #1, I'm not sure.

Another Centre who will probably be available to the Habs in the second round and is starting to make some noise among the scoutinh services is American High Schooler, Cristoval "Boo" Nieves. I haven't seen him play so I won't give a scouting report, but he's a big centre (6'3) who is said to have some offensive potential and is committed to Michigan next year (ugh). Knowing how the Habs scour those US High School kids, and how we love the Michigan boys (again Ugh) I'm sure Timmins has seen this kid. He's a name that might end up on our draft board with the second rounder.

PS nothing against patches, palushaj, etc I love those guys since they are Habs, but as an Irish fan I have to hate Michigan.

He was 15 years old when he yelled at the coach, meh, who hasn't done stupid things at 15?

If its a repeative pattern of behavior over the next few years ill be concerned but for now its just one incident.

Hell Im 31 and still do stupid things from time to time based on my temper :P

Another Centre who will probably be available to the Habs in the second round and is starting to make some noise among the scoutinh services is American High Schooler, Cristoval "Boo" Nieves. I haven't seen him play so I won't give a scouting report, but he's a big centre (6'3) who is said to have some offensive potential and is committed to Michigan next year (ugh). Knowing how the Habs scour those US High School kids, and how we love the Michigan boys (again Ugh) I'm sure Timmins has seen this kid. He's a name that might end up on our draft board with the second rounder.

PS nothing against patches, palushaj, etc I love those guys since they are Habs, but as an Irish fan I have to hate Michigan.

Dont forget we are hoping Greg Pateryn is the next Gorges type and his d-partner Bennett could fit in nicely in a couple years also. And that Phillip Di Giuseppe is a super looking prospect that would be great to snag early in 2nd round maybe?

But that cull Cammalleri came from Michigan also, so you can go on hating him if you like!

Gaunce is a great pick. I really like him, he was the guy I was focused on when I believed the Habs could make the playoffs. If they push themselves out of range for Galchenyuk, I'll focus on Gaunce again. My only question on Gaunce is wondering if he's got that elite first line potential, and I'm not sure about that. A future 2nd line center? I can see him potentially developping into that, but chances of being a true stud #1, I'm not sure.

You just know with a Gaunce, he will not likely be a "floater", as the russians and some euros tend to be. And i would almost hand the future #1 centre job to out our flying Dane, he is looking better all the time! And if Gaunce can fill the #2 centre role in 2 or 3 years that would be just perfect.

And from reports on Gaunce they always seem to note his off-ice leadership as a bonus and you got to love his size. And he did stand out at prospects game i thought.

Again i say, anywhere between 5th and 15th there are some dandy prospects, no worry where Habs finally finish up. Just keep on winning, but just dont let Gauthier get any crazy thoughts and sell off picks again in a mad run for playoffs!

Go with what you got and stockpile a couple extra picks with the UFAs.