2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Not for a year.....but get permission ahead of time and secure his contract. No way in hell; I take a risk and give up that much for a potential one and done.

Cant even talk extension til July 1st 2012. Draft is June.

Ducks can't give permission to any team to even talk to his agent until July so you'd have to take that risk if you want to include the pick.

As far as Grigo's commitment is concerned, this is a guy who Patrick Roy loves and drools over, I have no issues with him for that reason. If there we're commitment or training issues he'd not be praising him the way he does.

This is a guy who Roy said he doesn't think should be playing on his ankle, but he's so determined and he badgers him constantly and he just can't stay away from the ice, that he couldn't hold him back any longer.

For a guy like Roy who was such a competitor himeself to praise him like this it addresses all my concerns.

Not to mention we may be seeing Roy behind our bench next season. It would really put my mind to rest taking a chance on Grig if we have a coach who has a working and positive relationship with him. From what I hear about their relationship, drafting Grigs then bringing in Roy would be a smart move.

I wasn't on his bandwagon before, but after learning more about him, I'd be down to fail for Mikhail.

Not sure if it is a wish, just a thought or a feeling but for arguments sake let's say that Gauthier is let go as GM of the team. I have a sneaky suspicion that the new GM whoever that may be is going to try to make a splash at the draft.

There is also alot of talk that Plekanec was drawing interest from as many as 4 teams at the deadline.

Can you imagine Bettman arriving to the draft table and announcing "we have a trade to announce".

The Montreal Canadiens have traded the #2 overall pick, Danny Kristo and Tomas Plekanec to the Anaheim Ducks for Ryan Getzlaf

That is a deal i wouldnt make, maybe Plekanec, 2nd rounder and Weber for Getzlaf. Or Plekanec for Stastny straight up.

Screw the trading top pick away idea, cept if trading up to #1, another quality pick like Price will do the team wonders.

Not to mention we may be seeing Roy behind our bench next season. It would really put my mind to rest taking a chance on Grig if we have a coach who has a working and positive relationship with him. From what I hear about their relationship, drafting Grigs then bringing in Roy would be a smart move.

I wasn't on his bandwagon before, but after learning more about him, I'd be down to fail for Mikhail.

Other than the russian factor, i am all for Grigorenko, but Roy is a bit crazy isnt he?

But it would make for entertaining press conferances to have a french Tortarella flying off the handle every week or so.

Would be the total opposite of Martin and who knows he may be a good coach??

Why would anyone in their right mind trade the second overall pick for a guy whose contract is expiring next season!?

Yea the guy i really want in the draft is grigorenko and trading 2nd overall pick for someone we only control for 1 year would be the wrong move. If we are going to trade our pick it's gotta be someone thats under contract long term or someone we'll control for a long period of time.

Yea the guy i really want in the draft is grigorenko and trading 2nd overall pick for someone we only control for 1 year would be the wrong move. If we are going to trade our pick it's gotta be someone thats under contract long term or someone we'll control for a long period of time.

I mean, it's one thing to acquire a guy like Jeff Carter who might just need a new environment and is still when healthy a consistent 30 goal scorer. He has a long term deal and was out of Columbus in less than a full season. It's another thing to acquire a guy like Ryan Getzlaf for far too much just so he comes to Montreal, maybe or maybe not likes it and you can't trade him at the deadline because you're desperately trying to re-sign him and convince him Montreal is a great place so he ends up potentially walking for nothing.

It's totally better to just draft a 6'3" hard working Russian with top of the draft skill. Who you get to pretty much keep barring a crazy RFA signing for a good seven years.

Another reason I like Montreal loading up on seconds: If Montreal finishes 28th due to the Oilers being worse or the lottery, Montreal has a second round pick to attach to their first round pick to move up a spot. Then again, I bet the Oilers would be fine with flipping with Montreal for less.

Galchenyuk has been skating since February 10th

His NHL.com blog

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=220

Nhl.com story on Yakupov

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=619698

Reinhart

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=619255

Gaunce

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=617865

Early 2nd round possibility Martin Frk's personal blog

http://www.nhl.com/i...ost.htm?id=6703

Dumba's Personal Blog

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=225

Murray's personal Blog

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=207

I know some people are afraid of Galy due to this injury but anyone who is should look at guys like Max Pacioretty and Brett Connolly.

I think he could pass Grigorenko if he has a big playoffs.

The other concern with Gally is that he's leaching off playing on the same line with Yakupov. Lets remember Gally didn't come out of nowhere and didn't just start scoring when he got put with Yakupov. This is a guy who was the 1st overall pick in the OHL draft for a reason. He was already a standout in his age group at the age of 16 and has only progressed from that. He creates as much for Yakupov as Yakupov creates for him. Its not one guy leaching off the other, its two great players, playing together. He's also like 10 months younger than Yakupov.

I would love either of the two centers.

Get them in the NHL next season if they show they can compete and give him the two best wingers for the whole season. (Cole/Patch)

If he needs the odd game out to watch from the press box so be it.

But give him confidence encourage his offensive ability and when it blows up in his face just show him what he did wrong do not stifle.

That would be a dumber move then any that PG has done to date. Can't see Getzlaf resigning with us.

Not sure if it is a wish, just a thought or a feeling but for arguments sake let's say that Gauthier is let go as GM of the team. I have a sneaky suspicion that the new GM whoever that may be is going to try to make a splash at the draft.

There is also alot of talk that Plekanec was drawing interest from as many as 4 teams at the deadline.

Can you imagine Bettman arriving to the draft table and announcing "we have a trade to announce".

The Montreal Canadiens have traded the #2 overall pick, Danny Kristo and Tomas Plekanec to the Anaheim Ducks for Ryan Getzlaf

I think he could pass Grigorenko if he has a big playoffs.

The other concern with Gally is that he's leaching off playing on the same line with Yakupov. Lets remember Gally didn't come out of nowhere and didn't just start scoring when he got put with Yakupov. This is a guy who was the 1st overall pick in the OHL draft for a reason. He was already a standout in his age group at the age of 16 and has only progressed from that. He creates as much for Yakupov as Yakupov creates for him. Its not one guy leaching off the other, its two great players, playing together. He's also like 10 months younger than Yakupov.

If you think he would do just as well without his sidekick, he should be preferred over Grigorenko, only because of the 'russian factor' and my guess is that Galchenyuk has much less of a chance of being a malcontent or prima donna, or however you want to catagorize the Kovalev type of player.

Am i stereotyping, for sure, but i just havent read anything on Galchenyuk such as, "takes shifts and sometimes games off" as i have seen for Grigorenko. And maybe is can be attributed 100% to his ankle injury or scouts bias?, but i fear it is between his ears.

But he still seems like could be a Malkin-type clone and could be the ubertalented superstar that Malkin is (exactly what Hab franchise needs desparately) and not the headcase/egomaniac an Ovechkin seems to be?

anyways, keep on posting the hyperlinks sir, good stuff

If you think he would do just as well without his sidekick, he should be preferred over Grigorenko, only because of the 'russian factor' and my guess is that Galchenyuk has much less of a chance of being a malcontent or prima donna, or however you want to catagorize the Kovalev type of player.

Am i stereotyping, for sure, but i just havent read anything on Galchenyuk such as,  "takes shifts and sometimes games off" as i have seen for Grigorenko. And maybe is can be attributed 100% to his ankle injury or scouts bias?, but i fear it is between his ears.

But he still seems like could be a Malkin-type clone and could be the ubertalented superstar that Malkin is (exactly what Hab franchise needs desparately) and not the headcase/egomaniac an Ovechkin seems to be?

anyways, keep on posting the hyperlinks sir, good stuff

As I've said before, Galchenyuk is like a bigger, stronger, better stickhandling, better shot, better vision, version of Plekanec.  If he reaches his full potential (big if for any prospect) he'll be an elite 2 way center year in and year out who is close to a point per game.  If Grigorenko hits his peak potential he probably scores more points and is even bigger, and is good defensively too, but not elite.  This is why I think they are really close and if Galchenyuk is healthy he could put himself ahead of Grigorenko with a strong playoffs for Sarnia. In Gally you get a little less offence but a little more defence, in Grigo you get the opposite. In Gally you get good size and great speed, in Grigo you get great size and good speed. They both are at least good in all aspects, but they have opposite attributes for where they are GREAT.

As for the laziness issue with Grigorenko, again thats something that Roy just wouldn't tolerate.  And with the huge praise he has for Grigo's work ethic I'm really re-assured by that.  We all know how much of a competitor Roy is, and how he just doesn't like guys who half ass it.

As I've said before, Galchenyuk is like a bigger, stronger, better stickhandling, better shot, better vision, version of Plekanec. If he reaches his full potential (big if for any prospect) he'll be an elite 2 way center year in and year out who is close to a point per game. If Grigorenko hits his peak potential he probably scores more points and is even bigger, and is good defensively too, but not elite. This is why I think they are really close and if Galchenyuk is healthy he could put himself ahead of Grigorenko with a strong playoffs for Sarnia. In Gally you get a little less offence but a little more defence, in Grigo you get the opposite. In Gally you get good size and great speed, in Grigo you get great size and good speed. They both are at least good in all aspects, but they have opposite attributes for where they are GREAT.

As for the laziness issue with Grigorenko, again thats something that Roy just wouldn't tolerate. And with the huge praise he has for Grigo's work ethic I'm really re-assured by that. We all know how much of a competitor Roy is, and how he just doesn't like guys who half ass it.

Sounds good.

Just hope Oilers, Sabres, Carolina keep on doing well for next 5-6 weeks and should be assured of a super pick no matter what.

See how March plays out with the CHL having only 9 or 10 games left in regular seasons and i assume Galchenyuk will be back for playoffs. See how he,Grigorenko and Faksa perform then.

The more I write about and think about Gally and Grigo the more interesting the decision becomes.

The guys are so close. Personally I lean to Grigo but what does our organization do?

Timmins typically favours the Galchenyuk type over the Grigorenko type. Its just his history of drafting the better skating and two way play will sway him in a close decision.

If we hire Roy, we know he'll push hard for Grigorenko. Interesting dynamic right off the bat.

If the Habs can get both Roy and Grigo, I feel like they have to do it. Obviously let the new GM make the decision, but I allowing a top draft pick to come to the NHL as an 18 yr old and play for a coach who had him the season before would be a huge boost to Grigo. I wasn't sold on Roy as coach at first, but man, the more i think about it, the more I realize he is just the kind of guy the team needs.

The whole reason Anaheim is potentially trading him and Perry is because they want to goto free agency.

Of course there's the possibility but Montreal would likely have to win the Cup. Otherwise, why stay?

Money talks. And the Habs have plenty of it. Give them Gomez-type money.Gio came here because we offered him almost $10m more than anyone else