2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Really? why is that? have you watched any of the games this year? The worst part of his game is on the draw and he is getting better. Whats not to like ? play's to hard? by far one of our best forwards this year and is not the problem why we are where we are.

No. No I haven't watched any of the games this year. Not a single one. I just discuss them with vivid imaginations of what is going on the ice and confirm that as my conclusion.

No. No I haven't watched any of the games this year. Not a single one. I just discuss them with vivid imaginations of what is going on the ice and confirm that as my conclusion.

it so seams that way you are a habs fan maybe you need bigger eye holes for your bag

I keep reading that this is a weak top10 draft.Oh well we should have another crack at it next year.

Where did you read that? Cause pretty much NONE of the scouts I read have said that.

What everyone actually is saying is that the top of this draft is excellent, but that there is no depth. Everyone is saying that Yakupov is a better 1st overall player than RNH or Hall, and that the top 7 or so picks are all excellent. Its just that the guys who will be be picked at 15-25 in this draft don't look as good as the guys picked 15-20 last year; and the 2nd round isn't as good and so on. Since we are picking top 5, none of that matters.

The other thing about this draft is that I'm not even convinced it has no depth. One year ago it was supposed to be the best draft overall since 2003. So whats happened to make people start saying it has no depth? The prospects have had more injuries this year than pretty much any year in history, so the viewings of them are way down, and drafting has gotten a hell of a lot harder than normal this year.

Just for the record, I would take Galchenyuk over Grigorenko..Just throwing that out there...lol

The more I think about it, the more I think Trevor Timmins feels the same way. If the pick is in Timmins hands I think he'd rather have Galchenyuk. However if Roy comes into the organization he'll be pushing hard for Grigorenko.

I keep reading that this is a weak top10 draft.Oh well we should have another crack at it next year.

sources please? I mean - u keep reading it everywhere so it shouldn't be hard for you to give us a link.

Sucks to lose to Leafs, but i would still bet Leafs have almost zero chance of playoffs and Habs are pretty solid in lottery pick, so some solace.

I have heard once that the draft quality has been downgraded overall, but i see some sweet choices at the top where Habs will be picking and also some solid prospects will be available in 2nd round as well.

But any of Yakupov/Galchenyuk/Grigorenko/Forsberg/Faksa/Collberg would likley all be a fine pick for Habs, the junior (& SEL) playoffs should sort them out a bit more also.

Last year Thomas Jurco, Ty Rattie and Brandon Saad were all 2nd rounders who appear to be steals/very good choices and this year, who knows how good a Frk/ di Gieuseppe/ Bozon/ Winter or a dozen other forwards slated for 2nd round will be.

Hab also kind of have an advantage because with a bunch of d-men already drafted, they really could skip a year in drafting any d-men or goalie and could (should?) concentrate only on forwards, unless a d-man really slips.

Sucks to lose to Leafs, but i would still bet Leafs have almost zero chance of playoffs and Habs are pretty solid in lottery pick, so some solace.

I have heard once that the draft quality has been downgraded overall, but i see some sweet choices at the top where Habs will be picking and also some solid prospects will be available in 2nd round as well.

But any of Yakupov/Galchenyuk/Grigorenko/Forsberg/Faksa/Collberg would likley all be a fine pick for Habs, the junior (& SEL) playoffs should sort them out a bit more also.

Last year Thomas Jurco, Ty Rattie and Brandon Saad were all 2nd rounders who appear to be steals/very good choices and this year, who knows how good a Frk/ di Gieuseppe/ Bozon/ Winter or a dozen other forwards slated for 2nd round will be.

Hab also kind of have an advantage because with a bunch of d-men already drafted, they really could skip a year in drafting any d-men or goalie and could (should?) concentrate only on forwards, unless a d-man really slips.

Good poiint about the second round. There has been a lot of discussion about who we should take in the first round and hardly anything about who we might take later. Do you know anything much about the players you mentioned as potential second rounders?

I don't even mind losing the Leafs at this juncture. The less points, the better.

My worry is that Markov will indeed make an immediate impact. Sure, there will be rust, etc, but my thought is that Markov's strengths are subtle and cerebral. He doesn't have to regain his full stride to make a big difference. He vision and passing are his primary strengths, followed by his positional play and poke checking. Even his sneak-ins from the point don't require big exertion. It may indeed take him time to get his timing back, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs start winning as soon as he starts playing.

All this to say that I sincerely hope Markov doesn't help vault us ahead of Carolina, the Isles or Leafs in terms of the Draft.

2nd round I've looked at a few guys, but I'll have more info and opinion once we get closer to the draft.  Still a lot of volatility before we have the CHL playoffs.  For now I'll add names like Tom Wilson, Cristoval "boo" Nieves, Andreas Athanesou, Scott Laughton, and Daniil Zharkov, as 2nd round prospects to the names Don already gave.

2nd round I've looked at a few guys, but I'll have more info and opinion once we get closer to the draft. Still a lot of volatility before we have the CHL playoffs. For now I'll add names like Tom Wilson, Cristoval "boo" Nieves, Andreas Athanesou, Scott Laughton, and Daniil Zharkov, as 2nd round prospects to the names Don already gave.

Last time the Habs drafted a Greek we all know how that turned out...!!

Draft the Greek - draft the Greek!!

Good poiint about the second round. There has been a lot of discussion about who we should take in the first round and hardly anything about who we might take later. Do you know anything much about the players you mentioned as potential second rounders?

These guys have a good list/ranking of prospects and have list of 30 forwards just outside top 30 near the end (2nd and 3rd round picks), of which numerous have had positive feedback and could be dandy choices.

http://thehockeyguys.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/THGTop30DraftRankings-MAR.pdf

A few i have seen play several times;

Tim Bozon is a swiss guy and may sneek into 1st round, i have seen play a few times and might be a steal if available at 32-34th. Has 32 goals in rookie year in WHL and Habs do tend to have a soft spot for the Swiss (coincidence?).

Raphael Bussieres i thought stood out at the top prosepcts game, even though not ranked high at all. A slightly bigger Bournival type player.

And some others like Colton Sissons and Lukas Sutter might be good picks is available late in 2nd round, both are good sized tough checking guys.

Last time the Habs drafted a Greek we all know how that turned out...!!

Draft the Greek - draft the Greek!!

If he's available certain segments of the media will push for Charles Hudon with our second rounder. I wouldnt mind him though as a natural goal scorer.

If he's available certain segments of the media will push for Charles Hudon with our second rounder. I wouldnt mind him though as a natural goal scorer.

He's 5'8". He'll fall and we can pick him up in a later round.

Cristoval already has a nickname. I want that guy. You know he'll be a star ;)

He's 5'8". He'll fall and we can pick him up in a later round.

Cristoval already has a nickname. I want that guy. You know he'll be a star ;)

I love what I read on Nieves. But I havent seen enough to give a true comment. If I put it down Im not regurgitating someone else, I've seen the kid play.

Hudon reminds me so much of Mike Cammalleri (the good things of Cammy).

Heres also a goal of Galchenyuk I found that is incredible at 1:10

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6QxbHfxyDY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't even mind losing the Leafs at this juncture. The less points, the better.

My worry is that Markov will indeed make an immediate impact. Sure, there will be rust, etc, but my thought is that Markov's strengths are subtle and cerebral. He doesn't have to regain his full stride to make a big difference. He vision and passing are his primary strengths, followed by his positional play and poke checking. Even his sneak-ins from the point don't require big exertion. It may indeed take him time to get his timing back, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs start winning as soon as he starts playing.

All this to say that I sincerely hope Markov doesn't help vault us ahead of Carolina, the Isles or Leafs in terms of the Draft.

I agree big time.

So you guys are worried about a player who hasn't played a meaningfull hockey game in probably 3 years. With what, 3 knee procedues coming in and magically helping this team go on a run?

I hope he is healthy and comes back but come on.

This team is really bad. They have one line and 3 defenseman. markov is not going to any impact this year. I will believe it when i see it. he will get limited ice time.

As for the draft, my opinion is they need to tak ethe guy who is the most nhl ready. Hard to determine i know. I think they go Galyenchuk if they pick a center. Or they need the best dman out there.

If they trade down to get Galyenchuk, thye better make sure they get him or a really good deal that helps the down the line.

Someone mentioned rienhart wasn't a good skater, don't know much about the draftable players. I'm stuck in Colorado, not the hockey bed of information out here.

So you guys are worried about a player who hasn't played a meaningfull hockey game in probably 3 years. With what, 3 knee procedues coming in and magically helping this team go on a run?

I hope he is healthy and comes back but come on.

This team is really bad. They have one line and 3 defenseman. markov is not going to any impact this year. I will believe it when i see it. he will get limited ice time.

As for the draft, my opinion is they need to tak ethe guy who is the most nhl ready. Hard to determine i know. I think they go Galyenchuk if they pick a center. Or they need the best dman out there.

If they trade down to get Galyenchuk, thye better make sure they get him or a really good deal that helps the down the line.

Someone mentioned rienhart wasn't a good skater, don't know much about the draftable players. I'm stuck in Colorado, not the hockey bed of information out here.

Reinhart isn't in my group of the elite 7 of this draft, heck he's probably not even the 8th best player.  I don't think he's a consideration.  If you go defence, Murray, Trouba, and Dumba are the 3 guys who are part of that group of 7.  I'm not even sure who is best out of those 3, they are really close.  Reinhart is a step below them and Reinhart might not be as good as Ceci or Reilly imo.

I'm liking Jake Montgomery.  I'd be pretty happy with that draft.

My problem isn't really the Habs picks, its the others.  They seem out to lunch with where Forsberg, Trouba, Gaunce, etc land. There is one bad Habs pick too, Bussieres is awful.