2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Yeah, the value here is that its 7 rounds long and has lots of scouting reports for all 7 rounds.

Agreed. I also noticed this isn't a draft full of big players. This is mostly a 5'11-6'1" draft so size lovers are going to have to be choosey. I think the biggest players are goalies.

My problem isn't really the Habs picks, its the others. They seem out to lunch with where Forsberg, Trouba, Gaunce, etc land. There is one bad Habs pick too, Bussieres is awful.

Bussieres looked good to me at top prospects game and seems he would be a fine late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick? But only saw play the one time and i thought he reminded me of Bournival.

Bussieres looked good to me at top prospects game and seems he would be a fine late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick? But only saw play the one time and i thought he reminded me of Bournival.

Since January 1st 2012, Bussieres has 2 goals and 1 assist and he's been playing regularly. He just isn't bringing any kind of offensive production in his 3rd QMJHL season.

Agreed. I also noticed this isn't a draft full of big players. This is mostly a 5'11-6'1" draft so size lovers are going to have to be choosey. I think the biggest players are goalies.

Do people on this site realize it takes more than a one year tank to turn things around? See Pitt and Chic. for example. Do you really think that one 18 yr old will turn this around ?There is so much this organization needs:

Fire Gainey,Gauthier,Timmins and Boivin jr(what a joke that is) and Cunneyworth and replace them all with competence

Get rid of the Gomez,Skaberle and Bourque contracts

Get a # 1 stud d-man. If Markov comes back pair himw/Emelin for a great 2nd pairing

Two top 6 forwards

A real 4th line

A tough stay at home #6 dmen.Enough of these marshmallows(Weber,Campoli,Diaz}

Long way to go,but not impossible with a real management team.

Pittsburgh and Chicago are the only examples of how to run a team, and having one bad year and bouncing back is impossible. I mean its not like the Flyers (07), Devils (11), or Senators (11) were able to bounce back after a bad year.

Fire Gainey,Gauthier,Timmins and Boivin jr(what a joke that is) and Cunneyworth and replace them all with competence

2 things ...

haven't heard many people call for Timmins' head - I think his work has been outstanding

so is a turn around possible or impossible? u seem to contradict yourself from dispare to hope (very little on the hope side, but there is a glimmer in that comment). crazy thing is your glimmer of hope is based simply on new management - im not all that certain by simply replacing management that we will find the grass greener on the other side.

sigh - if only our resident unfanboy were Owner/President/GM/Coach/HeadScout of our beloved Habs ...

2 things ...

haven't heard many people call for Timmins' head - I think his work has been outstanding

I think since he started controlling the draft for the Habs the Habs have selected the most NHL talent. Or pretty close to it.

I think since he started controlling the draft for the Habs the Habs have selected the most NHL talent. Or pretty close to it.

Yup, most teams average 2 draft picks per draft who turn into NHLers. Between 2003-2007 (5 drafts) Timmins had 21 players play at least 25 games. 18 play at least 40 (could rise to 19 with JT Wyman close), and has 15 play 100 games (will be 17 as soon as Emelin and White hit that level). No team can match that and he only had 2 top 10 picks.

2 things ...

I believe his issue with Timmins is the lack of recent NHL selections, just 1 in the last 4 years. I had noted the other day that's skewed somewhat - if most NHL'ers come from 1st or 2nd rounders, the Habs haven't had much to work with. Beaulieu/Tinordi are too young to be NHL'ers (most 1st's don't play as teenagers still), Leblanc has played, while they didn't have a 1st 4 years ago. In terms of 2nd rounders, Kristo is the only selection made (no 2nd's the other years) and he's not a bust yet. I think the indictment should be more directed to management for dealing away these picks than to Timmins.

I believe his issue with Timmins is the lack of recent NHL selections, just 1 in the last 4 years. I had noted the other day that's skewed somewhat - if most NHL'ers come from 1st or 2nd rounders, the Habs haven't had much to work with. Beaulieu/Tinordi are too young to be NHL'ers (most 1st's don't play as teenagers still), Leblanc has played, while they didn't have a 1st 4 years ago. In terms of 2nd rounders, Kristo is the only selection made (no 2nd's the other years) and he's not a bust yet. I think the indictment should be more directed to management for dealing away these picks than to Timmins.

No guarantee those 2nd round picks would even be in the NHL either. Unless you have a top 10 selection, getting these guys into the league at the age of 19, 20, 21 is pretty rare.

It seems all his picks,whether Nhlers or not end up being 5'10 3rd liners with no grit or toughness.There may be some exceptions (Pacs) His late picks have been good.SK,Halak for example.

2 things ...

so is a turn around possible or impossible? u seem to contradict yourself from dispare to hope (very little on the hope side, but there is a glimmer in that comment). crazy thing is your glimmer of hope is based simply on new management - im not all that certain by simply replacing management that we will find the grass greener on the other side.

sigh - if only our resident unfanboy were Owner/President/GM/Coach/HeadScout of our beloved Habs ...

Wow, you call yourself a fan,and are happy with this season being over in January. Are you happy rooting for the Habs to lose every night so they can draft an 18 yr old unproven Russian. Gimme a break.

It seems all his picks,whether Nhlers or not end up being 5'10 3rd liners with no grit or toughness.There may be some exceptions (Pacs) His late picks have been good.SK,Halak for example.

Okay, no snarky remark... just straight facts.

Guys with over 100 NHL games (or projected to get there) drafted by Trevor Timmins (fwds and defence)

Fwds

Andrei Kostitsyn 6'0

Max Lapierre 6'02

Kyle Chipchura 6'02

Mikhail Grabovski 5'11

Guillaime Latendresse 6'02

Matt D'agostini 6'0

Sergei Kostitsyn 6'0

Ryan White 6'0

Max Pacioretty 6'1

Defence

Ryan O'Byrne 6'05

Alexei Emelin 6'0

Mark Streit 6'0

Ryan McDonagh 6'1

PK Subban 6'0

Yannick Weber 5'11

Total players under 6'0 = 2 (and one of those guys just signed a 5.5 million dollar per year contract).

Total players 5'10 or under = 0

Three most recent first round picks... Louis Leblanc 6'0; Jarred Tinordi 6'7", Nathan Beaulieu 6'3"

Do people on this site realize it takes more than a one year tank to turn things around? See Pitt and Chic. for example. Do you really think that one 18 yr old will turn this around ?There is so much this organization needs:

Get rid of the Gomez,Skaberle and Bourque contracts

Get a # 1 stud d-man. If Markov comes back pair himw/Emelin for a great 2nd pairing

Two top 6 forwards

A real 4th line

A tough stay at home #6 dmen.Enough of these marshmallows(Weber,Campoli,Diaz}

I think people on this site do realize we won't be contending for the cup next year. What I believe is that with a change at GM level we can start heading in the right direction and a very high 1st round pick helps enormously to start this off.

I have read alot of people on this site saying pretty much the same thing so maybe you have misinterpretted that as people saying a one year tank will make us cup champions.

As you have pointed out several times, we are not that stocked with talent, so trading for a superstar or two is difficult (even trading for good players is hard) so alot of people would say that tanking this year is a good first step to making the team stronger.

Anyways, the main point from this ramble is I think we are at least 2-3 years away from being a contender, but with better management, a settled coaching staff and a high pick we can at least hope to be a playoff team on the rise next year rather than a bubble team constantly struggling to make the eight.

PS: Just in regards to some of your other posts questioning if people "call themselves fans" or are "fanboys", I think by definition, you can assume that all people on this site are fans to a greater or lesser degree of the habs, some support the team unreservedly and some question each decision management make, the point being we are all fans of the team and want them to succeed, so I don't think when people disagree with you it should bring their level of fandom (don't even know if thats a word) into question.

I think I read one of your posts once where you said you got in trouble playing hockey for mouthing off without thinking of the consequences. Hopefully this is the case with some of your posts as well, as I quite like reading alot of them. (just not the s**tstorm that results)

Wow, you call yourself a fan,and are happy with this season being over in January. Are you happy rooting for the Habs to lose every night so they can draft an 18 yr old unproven Russian. Gimme a break.

I do call myself a fan. and btw, I still look at the standings and dream of my Habs winning out this season to have a miracle run to the Cup. thx for asking.

as for the draft, I trust Timmins if we pick 1st OA or 30th OA - but if we are missing the REAL season, we might as well miss it real good (as opposed to the Maples propensity to finish 9th to 11th in the east or when they do finish last trade away their pick).

mediocrity is what sucks - and if a terrible season like this sets us up with a player (along with a UFA or 2) to help us break the cycle, we may look back at this season as a blessing.

I do call myself a fan. and btw, I still look at the standings and dream of my Habs winning out this season to have a miracle run to the Cup. thx for asking.

as for the draft, I trust Timmins if we pick 1st OA or 30th OA - but if we are missing the REAL season, we might as well miss it real good (as opposed to the Maples propensity to finish 9th to 11th in the east or when they do finish last trade away their pick).

mediocrity is what sucks - and if a terrible season like this sets us up with a player (along with a UFA or 2) to help us break the cycle, we may look back at this season as a blessing.

That is the hope, and Markov/Gorges/Eller and Leblanc have a healthy summer training, not recovering from surgeries, and actually participating in training camp should be a big boost and a bunch of other positive stuff i hope will all get the team back in playoffs, but first things first and a top 3 or 4 pick would be darn sweet and even a #5 pick like Price can turn out pretty well also.

I think people on this site do realize we won't be contending for the cup next year. What I believe is that with a change at GM level we can start heading in the right direction and a very high 1st round pick helps enormously to start this off.

I have read alot of people on this site saying pretty much the same thing so maybe you have misinterpretted that as people saying a one year tank will make us cup champions.

As you have pointed out several times, we are not that stocked with talent, so trading for a superstar or two is difficult (even trading for good players is hard) so alot of people would say that tanking this year is a good first step to making the team stronger.

Anyways, the main point from this ramble is I think we are at least 2-3 years away from being a contender, but with better management, a settled coaching staff and a high pick we can at least hope to be a playoff team on the rise next year rather than a bubble team constantly struggling to make the eight.

PS: Just in regards to some of your other posts questioning if people "call themselves fans" or are "fanboys", I think by definition, you can assume that all people on this site are fans to a greater or lesser degree of the habs, some support the team unreservedly and some question each decision management make, the point being we are all fans of the team and want them to succeed, so I don't think when people disagree with you it should bring their level of fandom (don't even know if thats a word) into question.

I think I read one of your posts once where you said you got in trouble playing hockey for mouthing off without thinking of the consequences. Hopefully this is the case with some of your posts as well, as I quite like reading alot of them. (just not the s**tstorm that results)

Basically to me, the term "fanboys" started with the Price fans that would bash anything Halak,but would make every excuse for Carey. It has expanded into defense of this horrible management,and treatment of ex-habs. For example a poster this week said he was glad Cammi was injured. That's a pathetic person.

I am quite comfortable with Timmins. What we don't know is how many of his selections have been overruled. I believe the gap of NHL ready players that you are referring to, has a lot to do with the 2009 meltdown/rebuild. Even Timmins has made his share of mistakes.

I am quite comfortable with Timmins. What we don't know is how many of his selections have been overruled. I believe the gap of NHL ready players that you are referring to, has a lot to do with the 2009 meltdown/rebuild. Even Timmins has made his share of mistakes.

Draft is a crap shoot, many seem to go GaGa over Red Wings drafting, but they took Datsyuk in 6th round in 98, but they also took 10 others that year who didnt even play in NHL, cept a Jiri Fischer. then the next year they got Zetterburg in 7th round but every other guy drafted by Wings that year never made it to NHL.

Hab had similar "luck" with Markov/Strait/Halak/Gallagher (still to be proven)

And lately Habs seems to have done very well and i also and would be happy with Timmons picking again this year.

Draft is a crap shoot, many seem to go GaGa over Red Wings drafting, but they took Datsyuk in 6th round in 98, but they also took 10 others that year who didnt even play in NHL, cept a Jiri Fischer. then the next year they got Zetterburg in 7th round but every other guy drafted by Wings that year never made it to NHL.

Hab had similar "luck" with Markov/Strait/Halak/Gallagher (still to be proven)

And lately Habs seems to have done very well and i also and would be happy with Timmons picking again this year.

The Red Wings are quite similar to the Canadiens in that they have trouble with their first picks but they find sleeper picks quite well.

The Red Wings are quite similar to the Canadiens in that they have trouble with their first picks but they find sleeper picks quite well.

since thr lockout we have one bust in the first round.  Price, McD and Patches were 3 fantastic first rounders and Louis , tinordi and Beaulieu look good.  One bad pick. Fischer is killing Timmins reputation and every team has a screwup as bad or worse than that.