2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Just watching last nights game now. Galchenyuk's skating is suprisingly good for his second game. Knee looks great.

Good to learn today he's fine too. Sitting tonight as a precaution but will play Game 1 of playoffs

As for the injury he hurt it taking a faceoff. Looked like his stick got jammed under Domi and he tried to pull it out and its a bicep or tricep strain IMO; not sure why people think its shoulder, didnt look that waay to me

IS he playing in the next game?

Any word on Yak?

Last regular season game is tonight.  Hes sitting but is good to go for game 1 of playoffs.  If it was playoffs he'd play tonight. Havent seen much on Yakupov.

Canes win today

Kathleen Lavoie ‏ @kathleenlavoie

Après le match, les joueurs des Remparts admissibles au repêchage (Grigo, Brassard, Culkin) ont rencontré Timmins et Boisvert. #Habs

Timmins went to the Remparts game today and talked to Grigorenko after the game

Back on our radar?

He never should have been off our radar. Every team, regardless of roster or situation should always pick BPA. Always. It's simply bad practice not to. That being said, no one can really predict (past the consensus: Yak being #1 this year) who each team believes is the best. If I were a scouting department exec, I'd heavily scout all the players who could go around my pick (+-5 at least) and make my own decision independently of the "central" scouting department. So it literally depends on each team's scouting department as to who is BPA according to them, and it's impossible for us to predict it. But incredibly fun to speculate.

BPA always, for everyone. D or F, doesn't matter. Habs are thinking this way too, guaranteed. However, if they value two different players equally, then the positional needs could play a part. All we can do is wait and see.

Two things

1) Former Habs Scout Grant McCagg (now with TSN and McKeens) was spreading to anyone who would listen last month that Timmins hate Grigorenkos inconsistent effort and wouldnt take him top 10.

This could be true or it could be Timmins using an old friend and media member to spread misinformation about the Habs preferences.

2) I think you go BPA when there is a head and shoulders guy ahead of others, but go positional need when you are well stocked at the position and the difference is very small. I dont think its always one way or always the other way, I think each situation is fluid and depends on difference between players and needs.

Ie I think Murray is a very small bit ahead of Forsberg but if I was picking for us Id take Forsberg, cause the difference is really small and the need for a high end forward is so much more pressing; however if we are 5th and Yakupov, Grig, Galy, Forsberg are gone I take Murray over Faksa because there is a big gap there.

We've seen this from Timmins before in 2005 when he said to Gainey; I've got a franchise D (Staal) and a franchise G (Price) on the board; who do you want, and Gainey choose the goalie.

Two things

1) Former Habs Scout Grant McCagg (now with TSN and McKeens) was spreading to anyone who would listen last month that Timmins hate Grigorenkos inconsistent effort and wouldnt take him top 10.

This could be true or it could be Timmins using an old friend and media member to spread misinformation about the Habs preferences.

2) I think you go BPA when there is a head and shoulders guy ahead of others, but go positional need when you are well stocked at the position and the difference is very small. I dont think its always one way or always the other way, I think each situation is fluid and depends on difference between players and needs.

Ie I think Murray is a very small bit ahead of Forsberg but if I was picking for us Id take Forsberg, cause the difference is really small and the need for a high end forward is so much more pressing; however if we are 5th and Yakupov, Grig, Galy, Forsberg are gone I take Murray over Faksa because there is a big gap there.

We've seen this from Timmins before in 2005 when he said to Gainey; I've got a franchise D (Staal) and a franchise G (Price) on the board; who do you want, and Gainey choose the goalie.

This is why I might have taken Landeskog last over nuge if I were edmonton. Nuge is awesome, but landeskog is a need the Oilers have.

How is Landeskog the Oilers need over Nuge?

Oilers were set at wing with Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Hemsky, Omark, but had nothing in terms of a #1 Centre

Nuge was the right pick for Edmonton. I don't think there are many oilers fans who would disagree.

He is an elite offensive talent in his rookie year.

Lol. I thought Landeskog was a centre in junior. My bad. I like his size and I thought with Eberle and Hall they could use a big guy. I like Nuge, but he is tiny. I like him a lot though. Don't get me wrong. Size was my main like for Landeskog. Larsson was also high on my radar. Oilers have no elite defense and it's starting to show.

When it comes to drafting I prefer, "Best organizational fit" over BPA. You could be looking at two players and one might have more skilled on paper but what's his head like? Is he emotional in the right way? Is a city like Montreal going to be too much for him?"

I don't think those questions came into play when drafting a guy like Fischer or either of the Kostitsyns. Andre especially. I do think it came into play with Price and Subban. Both of them seemed like the type who could face a pressure cooker like Montreal and endure.

When it comes to drafting I prefer, "Best organizational fit" over BPA. You could be looking at two players and one might have more skilled on paper but what's his head like? Is he emotional in the right way? Is a city like Montreal going to be too much for him?"

I don't think those questions came into play when drafting a guy like Fischer or either of the Kostitsyns. Andre especially. I do think it came into play with Price and Subban. Both of them seemed like the type who could face a pressure cooker like Montreal and endure.

There is something to be said for Tinordi and Beaulieu who grew up in hockey families. This fits the profile of Galchenyuk as well, plus with Jacques Beaulieu as his coach we can surely use this for inside info.

1 pt for the Oilers

2 pts for the Canes

Good Night for us.

Now gotta pull for Minni to beat Canucks (Canucks dont need the 2 points anyways).and Ducks to beat SJ today.

3 more weeks, will be tough to hand onto top 5 slot, damn that Markov guy, haha.

Now gotta pull for Minni to beat Canucks (Canucks dont need the 2 points anyways).and Ducks to beat SJ today.

3 more weeks, will be tough to hand onto top 5 slot, damn that Markov guy, haha.

Would be nice if Tampa and the Leafs get wins too.

http://www.usatoday....port/53648134/1

Woodlief's unique take in Red Line

Interesting seeing Galchenyuk down so low because of injuries... I wish we could see what Timmins is thinking!

random thought.. has there been any analyst who seems to over the past few years been close to guessing Montreal's picks?

Interesting seeing Galchenyuk down so low because of injuries... I wish we could see what Timmins is thinking!

random thought.. has there been any analyst who seems to over the past few years been close to guessing Montreal's picks?

Big Bad Bob McKenzie seems to have the best handle on 1st round picks, year after year. I think he must draw on a good group of smart scouts from various locations/leagues to compile his ranking from.

but always be exceptions; a la not many saw Beaulieu falling to 17th and who knew the Habs would trade up for Tinordi,

but McKenzie had Louis L at 18th and habs took him at 17th and

he had McDonaugh at 12th and Habs took him at 11th

Pacioretty he had him at 24th and Habs got him at 22nd.

So if draft happened right now with Habs at 4th a good bet would be Forsberg, with Dumba/ Murray as next best guess, that is strctly going by McKenzie Feb. rank.

but of course the final rank after combine testing/playoffs over in June might change a bit, the slot for Habs at 4th-to- 7th will not likely change much. I think d-men tend to slip more on draft day, simply because they take so much longer (in general) to develop.

just seems to be how normally plays out, where a Collberg/Faksa/Gaunce might sneak into top ten and a Reilly/Reinhart/Trouba may fall down to 15th.

but again i aint an "expert" like Milbury or McQuire

Minnesota and Anaheim win tonight pushing us back to the third overall pick again.

Isles and Leafs go at it tonight which means we'll get more good results.

(If the Leafs show up.) *Facepalm*

Not sure which was funnier the score by Bruins or Lucic smackin #8 around.

If Gauthier is fired ( i still hope not), will Timmins be kept on to look after this draft? He has a super track record and the scouts are a bit removed from the team arnt they?