2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

we need grigorenko period (if he is avail) big strong gifted scorer centre. may be best player avail and is def a club priority. Defence are avail later. think about trading a pack of picks or prospects and maybe dd for another big offensive wing. we need offence on this team for more than one line

How bout Malcolm Subban if he's still around with our 2nd pic?

Interesting pick, but he's small for a goalie, which is against the way we've gone as an organization in recent years.

Nearly every goalie we've signed or traded for has been in the big goalie mode.... ever since choosing Price over Halak.

Subban we probably know about and have seen, but I don't know if he fits with the organizational philosophy with young goalies (probably coming from Proulx our goalie coach).

No team should ever simply go by BPA. There's a dozen factors in selecting a draft pick. This is the whole point of drafting. It seems like for the first round people think it's just about selecting the guys who get ranked by the ISS or Redline but the whole point of scouting is to know the difference and identify which player would be best for your system and your franchise.

I think many might argue that simply taking the BPA is the correct and only way to go? Many factors would obviously go into your own BPA list/ranking, but i still would put current roster as a minor factor in list.

And as with Tinordi, they thought so highly of him they burnt a 2nd pick on him as well, which i still think was uncalled for, with a bunch of super d-men still available and went drafted in the 2nd round, but it was still nice to see Habs get a bit aggressive and make the deal. And Timmins is doing much better than most drafting so I shouldnt criticize him (them) too much.

But if Timmins has Murray ranked as 3rd on his list instead of Galchenyuk and takes Murray, i would feel the same as i did last year when Mark McNeill, who seemed to be the perfect nice big centre they could use, fell to 17th, but so did Beaulieu and Timmins just took BPA on his list, i think?

It would be interesting to see some of scouting debates and how they do actually prepare for draft and rank em.

But with a 3rd or 4th pick, even a Doug McLean shouldnt be able to screw up picking a good one for Habs this year? well maybe he likely could.

Who knows, maybe Yakupov could be dressing for Habs come Oct, slim chance i know but keep fingers crossed?

Interesting pick, but he's small for a goalie, which is against the way we've gone as an organization in recent years.

Nearly every goalie we've signed or traded for has been in the big goalie mode.... ever since choosing Price over Halak.

Subban we probably know about and have seen, but I don't know if he fits with the organizational philosophy with young goalies (probably coming from Proulx our goalie coach).

Any word on Habs possibly getting the North Dakota goalie signed as a free agent?

Any word on Habs possibly getting the North Dakota goalie signed as a free agent?

Nothing on who he's signing with, but North Dakota fans on twitter are speaking as though they are 90% sure he won't be back.

Hopefully the Habs get him and Kristo locked up as soon as we get a GM.

Nothing on who he's signing with, but North Dakota fans on twitter are speaking as though they are 90% sure he won't be back.

Hopefully the Habs get him and Kristo locked up as soon as we get a GM.

I would just as well use the top 4 picks on trying to stockpile some quality forwards and maybe not waste an early round pick on a goalie.

But i have faith the Habs will pick smartly once again and will maybe just draft a Makarov (Dietz;s goalie) in 4th round, and not goi after Subban or Dansk in 2nd round.

Any goalie drafted is at least 2 years away from the AHL... and 3 probably 4 years away from an NHL backup role. (1-2 years in the AHL)

An NCAA goalie signed like Dell, might be 1-2 seasons in the AHL away from an NHL backup role.

I could see signing Dell with the plan to replace Budaj... and drafting a goalie as well to have another one ready further down the line.

The difference in age and development from Dell to Dansk, Subban, Vasilevski, Whitney, etc is big.

Any goalie drafted is at least 2 years away from the AHL... and 3 probably 4 years away from an NHL backup role. (1-2 years in the AHL)

An NCAA goalie signed like Dell, might be 1-2 seasons in the AHL away from an NHL backup role.

I could see signing Dell with the plan to replace Budaj... and drafting a goalie as well to have another one ready further down the line.

The difference in age and development from Dell to Dansk, Subban, Vasilevski, Whitney, etc is big.

Is there a more schetchy draft pick than a goalie? Especially when a half-decent goalie can be traded for, if Price happens to get run over by a bull or something this summer.

• Upvote 1

Is there a more schetchy draft pick than a goalie? Especially when a half-decent goalie can be traded for, if Price happens to get run over by a bull or something this summer.

It's easy to get a hold of a good goalie but very difficult to get a hold of a great goalie.

Unless you're Phoenix getting Bryzgalov on waivers.

It's easy to get a hold of a good goalie but very difficult to get a hold of a great goalie.

Unless you're Phoenix getting Bryzgalov on waivers.

And then off to Philly went the universe.

we need grigorenko period (if he is avail) big strong gifted scorer centre. may be best player avail and is def a club priority. Defence are avail later. think about trading a pack of picks or prospects and maybe dd for another big offensive wing. we need offence on this team for more than one line

If you want to talk big strong giftted scorers

Galchenyuk had about the same number of points as Grigorenko... only he did it as a 16 year old, not 17 in the OHL, on a worse team.

Galchenyuk is 1 inch shorter than Grigorenko, but weighs 10 lbs more... so he's actually bigger and with more muscle on his frame.

In terms of play.... Grigorenko loves to play on the perimeter, where Galchenyuk is a gritty player who drives the net and fights in the corners.

I like Grigorenko too.... but lets not pretend he's the only player who fits our needs period.

Tons of players fit our need.

Hell, we could possibly get a Boo Nieves or Mark Jankowski in the second round to beef up our potential top six prospects with size for the next few years. That way our next picks will be on a goalie, Q prospects and beefing up other areas. Plus looking for sleeper picks of course.

As far as 2nd/3rd round picks i have several favourites that seem to be good for the 3 Hab picks between 33rd to 64th picks, i do have a WHL bias but;

Lukas Sutter is 28 goal scorer with 165 PIMs and is heavy tough centre who tripled offense from rookie year and has what is lacking in the Habs system. A Ryan White with scoring touch.

Tim Bozon is skilled Swiss 36 goal scorer, up for rookie of year in WHL, skilled and Swiss, perfect fit for Habs.

MIke Winther is another scoring centre that could be a good 2nd rounder, solid centre who can score.

Stefan Matteau is not the most skillful they say, but a nice possible power forward?

Or any of the 3 or 4 Czech forwards if they fall to 2nd round.

• Upvote 1

If you want to talk big strong giftted scorers

Galchenyuk had about the same number of points as Grigorenko... only he did it as a 16 year old, not 17 in the OHL, on a worse team.

Galchenyuk is 1 inch shorter than Grigorenko, but weighs 10 lbs more... so he's actually bigger and with more muscle on his frame.

In terms of play.... Grigorenko loves to play on the perimeter, where Galchenyuk is a gritty player who drives the net and fights in the corners.

I like Grigorenko too.... but lets not pretend he's the only player who fits our needs period.

I have this scare that Grigorenko is going to be the next Vikor Kozlov.

Ulf had another kid?  Gotta draft him!

Projected as a power forward.  

Here's the write up from someone else.

http://thehockeywriters.com/henrik-samuelsson-the-next-ones-nhl-2012-draft-prospect-profile-international-man-of-mystery/

Late 1st round/early 2nd round projection.  You'll learn where my site slots him and get our profile closer to the draft.

• Upvote 1

Projected as a power forward.

Here's the write up from someone else.

http://thehockeywrit...man-of-mystery/

Late 1st round/early 2nd round projection. You'll learn where my site slots him and get our profile closer to the draft.

haha lets get him with our second if he is there! (Unless we can get Subban... I want him for shits and gigs so bad, plus we actually do have no goalie depth... as much as I think we don't need it at this stage)

DON what do you think of Henrik Samuelson. I'd love to have Ulf's son on the team to troll the Bruins.

He is a good size and i did see him in one game, but Griffin Reinhart was the one who really stood out on Edmonton and Dumba was also playing so i totally overlooked him, till the father connection was noted.

But i did see him throw a big hip check in some game and brought back memories of the dirtiest player to ever play and i think the Apple dont fall far..

For some reason he is ranked quite low, maybe even 3rd round by ISS, not sure if going from USHL to SEL to WHL has any impact or not?

?? cause on paper he looks pretty good for size and production and moving around to different leagues?

He is a good size and i did see him in one game, but Griffin Reinhart was the one who really stood out on Edmonton and Dumba was also playing so i totally overlooked him, till the father connection was noted.

But i did see him throw a big hip check in some game and brought back memories of the dirtiest player to ever play and i think the Apple dont fall far..

For some reason he is ranked quite low, maybe even 3rd round by ISS, not sure if going from USHL to SEL to WHL has any impact or not?

?? cause on paper he looks pretty good for size and production and moving around to different leagues?

He bounced around a lot. Started in the first round, fell down boards to late second/early 3rd because he left NTDP and went and followed his father (coach) to Sweden to play for Modo. When he didn't get much playing time in the Swedish elite league, he left and went to Edmonton. I saw him a couple of times in Edmonton and liked what I saw. So did other scouts because thats when he rocketed back up the boards to late 1st/early 2nd.

He bounced around a lot. Started in the first round, fell down boards to late second/early 3rd because he left NTDP and went and followed his father (coach) to Sweden to play for Modo. When he didn't get much playing time in the Swedish elite league, he left and went to Edmonton. I saw him a couple of times in Edmonton and liked what I saw. So did other scouts because thats when he rocketed back up the boards to late 1st/early 2nd.

Why is he still at 75 (of just North American skaters) in the ISS list that just came out?

I love the Habs having 4 picks in first 60some and may have a chance to land at least a couple dandy prospects.

I wonder if Weber might be traded for another pick (2012 or 2013) as the Habs seem to have 1 too many smallish d-men for next year and he would be obvious choice to go.