2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

I have kinda sat out this topic other then saying the Habs should draft the best center available and since the lottery is less the 2 hrs to start I would like to get of the fence and state should the Habs not get 1st OA pick and IF Galchenyuk is available at their spot then they should pick him even if Grigo is available. I haven`t seen any of them play in person yet from the research that I have done and from what I have been able to view from the boob tube, AG seems to be the best center available. Frame wise seems thicker, seems to want to get himself in the dirty part of the ice with more ease then Grigo and just seems to have more drive for the game.

I think Commandant was 1st to rave about AG`s play as a 16 yr old, this is what got me looking. I must say he seems quite something.Has anyone else seen this too?

I have kinda sat out this topic other then saying the Habs should draft the best center available and since the lottery is less the 2 hrs to start I would like to get of the fence and state should the Habs not get 1st OA pick and IF Galchenyuk is available at their spot then they should pick him even if Grigo is available. I haven`t seen any of them play in person yet from the research that I have done and from what I have been able to view from the boob tube, AG seems to be the best center available. Frame wise seems thicker, seems to want to get himself in the dirty part of the ice with more ease then Grigo and just seems to have more drive for the game.

I think Commandant was 1st to rave about AG`s play as a 16 yr old, this is what got me looking. I must say he seems quite something.Has anyone else seen this too?

Galchenyuk was a #1 selection for OHL, so he didnt really come out of left field and like you, i like all the mention of "hard work" that i just dont hear in Grigorenko descriptions, but eastern europeans can come across as 'laid back, inconsistant', but when look at scoring race every year; there is a Gaborick/Hossa/Kovalchuk/Malkin always near the top. When they are "On" they are awesome, when not they can be invisible.

But i would take a hard working guy over a "slightly" more skilled but inconsistant prospect, every time. But there is a chance Grigorenko is another Malkin and if Yakupov and Galchenyuk are taken, i would bet Timmins would have grab Grigorenko next.

But still am quite anxious to see if Yakupov will be at Habcamp this summer!

Galchenyuk was a #1 selection for OHL, so he didnt really come out of left field and like you, i like all the mention of "hard work" that i just dont hear in Grigorenko descriptions, but eastern europeans can come across as 'laid back, inconsistant', but when look at scoring race every year; there is a Gaborick/Hossa/Kovalchuk/Malkin always near the top. When they are "On" they are awesome, when not they can be invisible.

But i would take a hard working guy over a "slightly" more skilled but inconsistant prospect, every time. But there is a chance Grigorenko is another Malkin and if Yakupov and Galchenyuk are taken, i would bet Timmins would have grab Grigorenko next.

But still am quite anxious to see if Yakupov will be at Habcamp this summer!

Yakupov at the Habs camp this year would be the shizznit!!!! but I have terrible luck in games of chance so I will refrain from putting a bet down that we win the lottery (ha! bet on the lottery win!). Seems I might lose the bet I made (with a buddy) about Gomez being traded and not bought out.

So well now we all know that the Habs will find out tonight if their pick will stay the same (#3), go up (#1) if they win the lottery, or drop down (#4) if someone else behind them in the top 5 leap frogs them.

We'll know the results in about 30 minutes. I can't wait!

Wow so top 3

Have to try to trade up.

We're secure to get either Yakupov, Grig or Galy. However, I think there's an opening now to move for Edmonton's pick.

What we really need to worry about is that Edmonton needs blueliners and if there's a team full of overrated blueliners... it's Toronto. Swapping 1st for 5th with them might make sense to Lowe if Toronto is willing to offer Luke Schenn with the pick. Then again, that smacks of desperation by Burke.

Wow so top 3

Have to try to trade up.

Does adding something to our 3rd overall pick really worth matching the difference between Yakupov and Grigorenko/Galchenyuk ?

What asset would you be willing to give away for that ? Gomez ? :)

We're secure to get either Yakupov, Grig or Galy. However, I think there's an opening now to move for Edmonton's pick.

What we really need to worry about is that Edmonton needs blueliners and if there's a team full of overrated blueliners... it's Toronto. Swapping 1st for 5th with them might make sense to Lowe if Toronto is willing to offer Luke Schenn with the pick. Then again, that smacks of desperation by Burke.

I think the Canadiens stand their ground unless Columbus and/or Edmonton offer up a better alternative. You can almost count on Burke offering up something to Habs if he can't deal with either Edmonton or Columbus. What would we need from the Leafs to switch picks?

I am not sure what Columbus is looking for in regards to drafting a player but Edmonton almost certainly has to be looking for a D-man. As such the most likely scenario would see Edmonton trade down to Columbus to allow Columbus to draft Yakupov and then see Edmonton pick up Murray with the #2 pick.

With that said here is a perfect opportunity for Montreal to move up. We've racked up some picks by liquidating some of our players so can easily shed a 3rd rounder along with our first for instance to Edmonton for their 1st. It's the type of impact move the new GM can surely make. My prediction is Montreal 1st and Yannick Weber to Edmonton for the 1st overall selection.

I am not sure what Columbus is looking for in regards to drafting a player but Edmonton almost certainly has to be looking for a D-man.  As such the most likely scenario would see Edmonton trade down to Columbus to allow Columbus to draft Yakupov and then see Edmonton pick up Murray with the #2 pick.

With that said here is a perfect opportunity for Montreal to move up.  We've racked up some picks by liquidating some of our players so can easily shed a 3rd rounder along with our first for instance to Edmonton for their 1st.  It's the type of impact move the new GM can surely make.  My prediction is Montreal 1st and Yannick Weber to Edmonton for the 1st overall selection.

I think Edmonton would laugh at that and hang up the phone.  Yakupov is so far above every other player in this draft you take him and hope Klefbom (19th overall in 2011), Musil (31st overall in 2011), Teubert (former first rounder of LA) + your 32nd pick this year develop into good defencemen.  In Whitney, Petry, Schultz, and Smid their D has a good start at the NHL level too.

You want #1, the price would be #3 + #33 + one of Beaulieu or Tinordi.

• Upvote 1

I am not sure what Columbus is looking for in regards to drafting a player but Edmonton almost certainly has to be looking for a D-man. As such the most likely scenario would see Edmonton trade down to Columbus to allow Columbus to draft Yakupov and then see Edmonton pick up Murray with the #2 pick.

With that said here is a perfect opportunity for Montreal to move up. We've racked up some picks by liquidating some of our players so can easily shed a 3rd rounder along with our first for instance to Edmonton for their 1st. It's the type of impact move the new GM can surely make. My prediction is Montreal 1st and Yannick Weber to Edmonton for the 1st overall selection.

I agree with Commandant that Edmonton would laugh and hang up phone. Toronto will offer a lot better package than Weber and Edmonton could probably can pick off the BDA at 5 ( Murray). Even if the scenario were only one slot as you have suggested, I think it takes more than Weber. I can see an Edmonton/ Columbus deal but I think that would involve Nash and those picks would ultimately wind up in Columbus.

My prediction is Montreal 1st and Yannick Weber to Edmonton for the 1st overall selection.

Come on man. There's a difference between a prediction and wishful thinking. Montreal is staying put at #3.

You want #1, the price would be #3 + #33 + one of Beaulieu or Tinordi.

While I think our 3rd and Weber is ridiculous, theres no way this would be what they would ask either.

Fleury's year.

The Florida Panthers trade the first overall pick and 3rd round pick to the Pittsburgh Penguins for the 3rd overall pick, the 2nd round pick and Mikael Samuelsson.

(Correct me if I'm wrong but... Samuelsson was kinda a throw in)

Nash's year.

Florida trades First overall pick to Columbus for 3rd overall and option to switch first-round picks in 2003.

Just two examples... but you suggest..

Edmonton's 1st overall for Montreal's 3rd overall + 2nd round + 1st round pick Defencemen.

I mean sure.. you could say that those previous drafts were "closer" between the top picks... but what you are suggesting is so much higher its ridiculous.

Maybe something lower. Our 3rd overall, our 2nd, a 4th round pick perhaps, and Weber. That would be a more reasonable guess. Not likely, but I think Commandant you compensated to much for Willy's underpayment.

I don't want to give ANYTHING to move up to #1 spot. There are too many uncertainties about these 3 guys (Yakupov-Grigorenko-Galchenyuk). Might as well keep what we have and get what we can at 3rd spot. IMHO.

I think the Isles are in the best spot to deal with the Oilers.

#4 oa, Parenteau's rights and a youngster (they have plenty).

This would mean yakupov - Tavares combination and Murray for the Oilers.

I added more because of the fact Yakupov is head and shoulders above the 3rd pick.  Whereas in 2003 it was a three way race between Horton, Staal, and Fleury where all three were considered close to equal.

The Nash trade is harder to judge because its really difficult to value the team option to switch picks the next season.

I added more because of the fact Yakupov is head and shoulders above the 3rd pick. Whereas in 2003 it was a three way race between Horton, Staal, and Fleury where all three were considered close to equal.

The Nash trade is harder to judge because its really difficult to value the team option to switch picks the next season.

I understand that, but there has been unease surrounding Yakupov because of his lack of production and performance in the playoffs..

Personally I am with Joe, don't trade up. Lets get Gally or Grigs (if we have Roy)!

3rd pick is Highest we have had 4 decades. So I see Yakupov to Oilers #1, Grigorenko #2 to Columbus, and Habs either take Galchenyuk or Murray. ( I know some will say we already have DEF. but is he the safest pick: Murray at 3?)

***For the record, Oilers arent trading #1, Tambellini and the new arena, will take as many top players they can get. For all those that a Weber and #3 for 1st, will NEVER happen,

Start by talking SUBBAN, #3 and something for #1, thats what Tambellini may look at, thats the word in Edmonton, so lets stop dreaming about anything less, and lets accept #3

Galchenyuk, would be the pick, Grigorenko issues of his reliability and work ethic, and inconsistency last 2 months of season is concerning, Let someone else take him, Galchenyuk risk is his injury, and a year out of Hockey, and how much playing with Yakupov help his numbers or vice versa. IS Ryan Murray the next Neidermayer, safe pick, 15 year career veteran? hmm which would you choose? BPA or need ( a centre with "?'s) "

Ryan Murray is the top rated DEF, in a draft field of strong DEF. Imagine : PRICE, MURRAY, SUBBAN, TINORDI, EMELIN, BEAULIEU, GORGES , and fill the rest amongst the other DEF PROSPECTS, wow, talk about building from GOALTENDING out.

Get rid of all the big contracts, have all these entry level contracts, or 2nd contracts, go out and sign some FA FWD, with the cap space. ( PARISE, PERRY, GETZLAFF...)

I saw the Oilers picking 2nd MURRAY, with Columbus taking Yakupov, Leaving MTL with Grigorenko or Galchenyuk choice, Now with Oilers winning, This changes the choice , Murray or Galchenyuk?

This will be a long road to rebuilding, may mean another lottery pick next year....lets not be shortsighted at mgmnt level again, and do it properly this time.

MY CHOICE: if part of a bigger master plan and done right: PICK RYAN MURRAY!!!

2/3 of the NHL.com mock draft guys have us picking Filip Forsberg over Galchenyuk. The other one has us picking Grigs if Columbus picks Murray (which wouldn't ever ever happen!)

The idea that Galchenyuk's numbers are inflated playing with Yakupov is such a myth its not even funny.

Yakupov was 17 years old.... yes, he's the best NHL prospect, but the difference for one season of a CHL player at 17 vs an overager like Frederic Roy who played with Grigorenko is negligible. The value of overagers is so underrated, just look at Brendan Shinnimin leading the entire CHL in scoring... but he wasn't even drafted. These 20 year old kids who come back for the extra year are far better CHL guys (for 1 season) than even the top prospects are at 17. Unless your a generational talent like a Crosby.

Grigorenko had as much help from Roy as Galchenyuk had from Yakupov.

The idea that Galchenyuk's numbers are inflated playing with Yakupov is such a myth its not even funny.

Yakupov was 17 years old.... yes, he's the best NHL prospect, but the difference for one season of a CHL player at 17 vs an overager like Frederic Roy who played with Grigorenko is negligible. The value of overagers is so underrated, just look at Brendan Shinnimin leading the entire CHL in scoring... but he wasn't even drafted. These 20 year old kids who come back for the extra year are far better CHL guys (for 1 season) than even the top prospects are at 17. Unless your a generational talent like a Crosby.

Grigorenko had as much help from Roy as Galchenyuk had from Yakupov.

Very good point there Commandant.

3rd pick is fine for me and i dont see any need to move. Yakupov is not likely worth a pick/prospect MORE, than Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Forsberg are to the Habs is he?

I see the Oilers are now presented with a ton of options and Taballini seemed in shock.,

the most likely being trading with 1 of the 3 teams with 2 first round picks. And i would give the Caos the inside track, with the #13 and #14 (at present) picks going to OIlers for Yakupov and the Caps would have Yakupov and their other Russian, who tore up the world juniors (cant remember name), coming into camp next fall.

But Buffalo and Tampa might also package their 2 picks if Yakupov is what they really want.

And i must say for all the shit Bettman does, i would give him a nod on the lottery this time and great to see the bottom dweller lose out for a change.

I don't want to give ANYTHING to move up to #1 spot. There are too many uncertainties about these 3 guys (Yakupov-Grigorenko-Galchenyuk). Might as well keep what we have and get what we can at 3rd spot. IMHO.

I think the Isles are in the best spot to deal with the Oilers.

#4 oa, Parenteau's rights and a youngster (they have plenty).

This would mean yakupov - Tavares combination and Murray for the Oilers.

Totally agreed, I have a feeling Grigs or Galchenyuk would be a perfect fit with the Habs.