2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

I think, given the talent available, and pending the results of the lottery, Habs may have to make a deal with Edmonton to get the 2nd pick, if they want Grigorenko (I think Edmonton will take him 2nd if not). If thats not an option, they could trade down, and draft Galchenyuk..sound reasonable? They really need to come out of this draft with a promising offensive centre, and I think those two will be the best available at that position.

I don't think you mess around with trading down.  Because the Leafs at 5 will also want a centre.

The Isles are also extremely unpredictable.

If your guy is on the board, take him at 3 and just be done with it.

If you want to trade up with the Oilers to get number 2, I'm fine with that (depending on the price) but I wouldn't trade down. Don't risk losing out on the guy you want.

Unless the Isles or Leafs win the lottery we have little to worry about.  We'll get the player Timmins wants.

We should get one of Grigorenko/Galchenyuk, but not necessarily the guy Timmins wants if the Oilers go with a centre.

Is there a list of what draft picks we have (pending any deals) for this years draft?

Our 1st - TBD lottery (could be 1st, 3rd or 4th overall)

Our 2nd (33rd overall - could move to 32nd if NJ forfeits their first rounder)

Nashville's 2nd - TBD playoff results

Our 3rd - 64th overall (could be 63rd if NJ forfeits first rounder.... it slid one down as SJ gets an extra second rounder for not signing Pat White).

Our 4th - 94th overall (could be 93)

Our 6th - 154th (could be 153)

We should get one of Grigorenko/Galchenyuk, but not necessarily the guy Timmins wants if the Oilers go with a centre.

i still am pulling for Galchenyuk, but if they announce Dumba, Murray or Grigorenko and simply take the BPA, that is fine with me. Becasue i had Gaunce or Faksa as my early favorites, as i didnt think the Habs would sink near to a top 5 pick, and picking at 4th, 3rd or 1st is just friggin super.

If Timmins sees one of the d-men as a better prospect, then likely should ignore the current team's needs with top pick, because roster could look much different in a year or 2?

i still am pulling for Galchenyuk, but if they announce Dumba, Murray or Grigorenko and simply take the BPA, that is fine with me. Becasue i had Gaunce or Faksa as my early favorites, as i didnt think the Habs would sink near to a top 5 pick, and picking at 4th, 3rd or 1st is just friggin super.

If Timmins sees one of the d-men as a better prospect, then likely should ignore the current team's needs with top pick, because roster could look much different in a year or 2?

I seriously doubt that we will pick a d-man, I mean we have TInordi and Beaulieu sitting in the wings... considering how close the four could be seen... I think its pretty easy to guess we will be aiming for Galchenyuk or Grigs. I've become slightly worried if a team like... Toronto wins the draft lotto and then we see Yak, Grigs, Gally go top three... I'm hoping if someone goes above us in the draft that they will take Forsberg or a d-man, cause I'm pretty sure Edmonton will be targeting Grigs (I've been having lots of talks with a oilers buddy of mine and he tells me the consensus seems to be that they will be aiming for Grigs, to replace Gagner, and not a d-man)

I seriously doubt that we will pick a d-man, I mean we have TInordi and Beaulieu sitting in the wings... considering how close the four could be seen... I think its pretty easy to guess we will be aiming for Galchenyuk or Grigs. I've become slightly worried if a team like... Toronto wins the draft lotto and then we see Yak, Grigs, Gally go top three... I'm hoping if someone goes above us in the draft that they will take Forsberg or a d-man, cause I'm pretty sure Edmonton will be targeting Grigs (I've been having lots of talks with a oilers buddy of mine and he tells me the consensus seems to be that they will be aiming for Grigs, to replace Gagner, and not a d-man)

Given the picks Timmins (and mgmt) have made recently, i would almost bet they stirctly go by best player available list and not factor in the current big clubs needs (possibly Leblanc was taken a bit for PR sake, but he was ranked right for a 17th pick anyways), but your guess is at least as good as mine.

And as the draft went in 2008, when the #2,3,4 and 5 picks were all d-men taken after a superstar forward prospect (Stamkos), it just seems like a very similar set up with possibly Yakupov going and then maybe Murray, Dumba, Trouba/Ceci/Reilly are taken before Grigorenko, Galchenyuk go 4th or 5th?

If they do take a d-man, it might just mean Beaulieu or another d-men might then be available for trade on July 1st for say Iginla?? Which of course wont happen, but who knows what the new GM will want?

I don't know about this organization always picking the BPA. I don't think thats what has happened at all.

In 2007 we were seriously short of defence prospects.... what did we do? We drafted defence in 6/9 picks.

In 2009 we were seriously short of forward prospects, especially centres. We had a ton of defence after focusing on these in 2006 and 2007. We drafted 5 centres, 1 winger, and 1 defenceman.

Last year, our D from 2006 and 2007 were all gone. Some had been traded (McDonagh); some were graduates (Subban, Weber), some were busts. So we drafted a ton of dmen.

This year its quite clear we need centres and LWs again. We could also use a goalie prospect. I think we are gonna see a big focus on these three positions.

This doesn't mean we'll do that exclusively or that no defencemen will be drafted, but if two players are close and one is at a position of need, we'll grab the need. Even in the years we drafted for need, we were still able to grab a Max Pacioretty, or a Mac Bennett, type of player too.

No team should ever simply go by BPA. There's a dozen factors in selecting a draft pick. This is the whole point of drafting. It seems like for the first round people think it's just about selecting the guys who get ranked by the ISS or Redline but the whole point of scouting is to know the difference and identify which player would be best for your system and your franchise.

• Upvote 1

anyone know when the lottery draft is?

nevermind - i just found out. lottery is Tuesday.

Leafs trade their first round pick tonight for Nash. Win lottery. Columbus drafts 1st and 2nd Overall

That also would not shock me.

I think it could be a done deal by draft time.

That also would not shock me.

I think it could be a done deal by draft time.

Honestly, I can see Burke doing this - not with the first overall pick, but with a pick that falls in the top 5. It fits his pattern, and the Leafs are coming under quite significant pressure to start winning NOW, rather than building patiently. The fans would love it and the media 'experts' would probably buy in too.