All Purpose Gomez Thread

JoeLassister

Gomez scoring might have been the worst thing to happen to him. Now nobody will have anything to sympathize for the guy now.

Ah well. He'll get a nice buyout and put the money toward Alaska. He's done more with his money as a hockey player for his community than close to any other NHL player and I respect that.

Gomez scoring might have been the worst thing to happen to him. Now nobody will have anything to sympathize for the guy now.

Ah well. He'll get a nice buyout and put the money toward Alaska. He's done more with his money as a hockey player for his community than close to any other NHL player and I respect that.

I wouldn't buy him out. The way he's playing, he doesn't deserve hurting our cap for another 2 years after this year. Bury him in the minors.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't buy him out. The way he's playing, he doesn't deserve hurting our cap for another 2 years after this year. Bury him in the minors.

Unless there is a penalty free "amnesty" period I agree 100%

ya that was almost enough for me to suggest keeping them both around....almost

ahahaha if only the Habs were a TV show of somekind and we only followed for the story and not the results it would be great to have Gomez around.

Gomez story is alot like Johnny MacDonald was for the Blue Jays. Everybody likes him as a defensive player but can you afford to have him in the line up. The deciding caveat to that is that they are on opposite ends of the pay scale with their respective teams, former in the case of JM. Scott just costs too much for what he brings.

This morning in Ontario I heard a few different sports talk show commentators talking about the shouting match between Gomez and Randy Ladoucceur Tuesday morning during practice. One of them stated that the Canadiens must do something with Scott Gomez. They felt the Canadiens cannot continue to pay the huge salary with, at this point, very little return.

As of today, he's scored one goal in the past year, and last night against the Hurricanes the coach sat him for most of the game and he played very little. Today in practice it appears he was going thru the motions on a drill which drew an immediate angry response from the coaches. So obviously, besides doing almost nothing in regards to scoring, the coaches are not happy with what they're seeing from him. So what options do we have?

I like Gomez as a person and it sounds like he is well liked by his teammates. But he simply is not producing anything to justify his huge contract. So as we approach trade deadline I thought it would be a good time to ask, what are our options and what is likely to happen regarding Scott Gomez.

Option 1: We keep him, move him around on different lines and use his puck carrying abilities as much as we're able.

Option 2: Trade him. But with his huge contract and almost no production, would anyone actually be willing to take that on? I can't imagine at his age and lack of production the last few years anyone would take that on.

Option 3: Buy him out. I think the cap hit on a buyout would be something like 4 million this year and 4.5 million next year. In that ballpark anyway.

Option 4: Send him to Hamilton to play with the Bulldogs.

To be honest, from strictly a business point of view, option 4 seems to be the only viable option. I personally wouldn't like doing that to anyone. And I don't know if we've ever been in a position like this before. Wade Redden was sent down and is still in the minors I think. Sheldon Souray was sent down but now he has made it back and seems to bne doing well.

Would making a move like that hurt us in the eyes of potential free agents? It hasn't seemed to hurt the Rangers. I'm curious what others think we should with Scott Gomez. Tell me what you think about this.

Option 3: Buy him out. I think the cap hit on a buyout would be something like 4 million this year and 4.5 million next year. In that ballpark anyway.

I don't have the exact numbers handy but I think it's 3.8, 4.8, 1.7, 1.7 (rounded) for a buyout cost if bought out in the June buyout period.

This morning in Ontario I heard a few different sports talk show commentators talking about the shouting match between Gomez and Randy Ladoucceur Tuesday morning during practice. One of them stated that the Canadiens must do something with Scott Gomez. They felt the Canadiens cannot continue to pay the huge salary with, at this point, very little return.

As of today, he's scored one goal in the past year, and last night against the Hurricanes the coach sat him for most of the game and he played very little. Today in practice it appears he was going thru the motions on a drill which drew an immediate angry response from the coaches. So obviously, besides doing almost nothing in regards to scoring, the coaches are not happy with what they're seeing from him. So what options do we have?

I like Gomez as a person and it sounds like he is well liked by his teammates. But he simply is not producing anything to justify his huge contract. So as we approach trade deadline I thought it would be a good time to ask, what are our options and what is likely to happen regarding Scott Gomez.

Option 1: We keep him, move him around on different lines and use his puck carrying abilities as much as we're able.

Option 2: Trade him. But with his huge contract and almost no production, would anyone actually be willing to take that on? I can't imagine at his age and lack of production the last few years anyone would take that on.

Option 4: Send him to Hamilton to play with the Bulldogs.

To be honest, from strictly a business point of view, option 4 seems to be the only viable option. I personally wouldn't like doing that to anyone. And I don't know if we've ever been in a position like this before. Wade Redden was sent down and is still in the minors I think. Sheldon Souray was sent down but now he has made it back and seems to bne doing well.

Would making a move like that hurt us in the eyes of potential free agents? It hasn't seemed to hurt the Rangers. I'm curious what others think we should with Scott Gomez. Tell me what you think about this.

i wouldnt have personality being a factor/consideration, nor outside opinion.

Dont feel bad for him, i am sure he dosent feel bad enough to renegotiate a "fair" salary and will cash every one of his cheques (as would i). He should have enough in the bank by now, to buy a fleet of fishing boats in Alaska!

I think the first thing is to be put through waivers around the trade deadline isnt it? then someone may bite? i know very unlikely cause he is so overpaid, but who knows? It is the first logical move isnt it?

Dont feel bad for him, i am sure he dosent feel bad enough to renegotiate a "fair" salary and will cash every one of his cheques (as would i). He should have enough in the bank by now, to buy a fleet of fishing boats in Alaska!

Even if he wanted to renegotiate a lower deal, he can't. Renegotiations aren't allowed in the CBA.

I don't have the exact numbers handy but I think it's 3.8, 4.8, 1.7, 1.7 (rounded) for a buyout cost if bought out in the June buyout period.

That's so screwy. He's only owed $10m for the next two years (but the Habs would actually get penalized MORE in cap hit than actual dollars paid out (just shy of $11.4m spread over four years). So we should rule this option completely out.

The amnesty buyout period with a new CBA that has a lower salary cap is likely what the Habs are shooting for. If not, then Hamilton, maybe re-entry (it is cheaper than the buyout option).

That's so screwy.  He's only owed $10m for the next two years (but the Habs would actually get penalized MORE in cap hit than actual dollars paid out (just shy of $11.4m spread over four years).  So we should rule this option completely out.

The amnesty buyout period with a new CBA that has a lower salary cap is likely what the Habs are shooting for.  If not, then Hamilton, maybe re-entry (it is cheaper than the buyout option).

There is a complicated formula where when you buy out these front loaded contracts, you take on bigger cap hits than the actual dollars paid out. this is because in the early years of the contract Gomez was counting as a 7.3 cap hit, but was actually being paid 10 million by the Rangers, and then later 8 million by the Habs.As for options with him, a regular buyout doesnt make sense. Its either Amnesty buy out or AHL imo.

Only option we really have with Gomez is buy him out or send him to Hamilton. Nobody wants him with his contract, nobody. He's not even useful for the cap floor next year because the CBA is going to be renegotiated so the floor will change. Nobody will take him on right now with the chance they won't need his contract to hit the cap floor. Maybe in the summer it might be the case, but by then we'll have our decision to bury him or buy him out already made.

I've said all along, bury him in Hamilton, there's no way he should haunt us for the next 3 years with a cap hit if we get rid of him. At least if he's buried and he's doing really well in Hamilton we can call him up and take a chance on him again if cap space permits that.

AHL is the only way to go. He has hurt this team enough already; having his cap hit hurt them for another 4 years makes no sense. Bite the bullet, bury him in Hamilton, and run the fool who traded for him out of town...that's what I want to see.

Only option we really have with Gomez is buy him out or send him to Hamilton. Nobody wants him with his contract, nobody. He's not even useful for the cap floor next year because the CBA is going to be renegotiated so the floor will change. Nobody will take him on right now with the chance they won't need his contract to hit the cap floor. Maybe in the summer it might be the case, but by then we'll have our decision to bury him or buy him out already made.

I've said all along, bury him in Hamilton, there's no way he should haunt us for the next 3 years with a cap hit if we get rid of him. At least if he's buried and he's doing really well in Hamilton we can call him up and take a chance on him again if cap space permits that.

The prospect of a new CBA both helps and hurts us vis-a-vis Gomez. It hurts us for the reason you state: cap floor change, affecting the calculation about the merits of taking his contract. It helps us because of the possibility of an amnesty period for buyouts. In which case we could buy him out (ahem) Scott-free.

The most probable plan is that the Habs will have to wait for the new CBA, then. Depending on how much of a skinflint Molson is, though, we may proceed in the interim AS IF Gomer will no longer be with us come the new CBA - thus spending up to 7.3 million over the cap on the assumption that one way or another that contract is going to be off the books come the new season. Worse comes to worst and there's a combo of a lower cap floor and no amnesty period, then you send him to the AHL. If Molson is fairly confident of a useful CBA settlement he may be prepared to take a chance on this scenario. Who knows.