Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

When evaluating Gauthier's work this season, the acquisition of Kaberle goes into the reason for firing his ass column. That's how I feel about it. The trade was universally laughed at. As has been reported by so called insiders, who speak to actual GMs in the league. It doesn't, at least, raise the eyebrows of you Kaberle defenders? when it's suggested that not a single team would be interested in trading for him?

When evaluating Gauthier's work this season, the acquisition of Kaberle goes into the reason for firing his ass column. That's how I feel about it. The trade was universally laughed at. As has been reported by so called insiders, who speak to actual GMs in the league. It doesn't, at least, raise the eyebrows of you Kaberle defenders? when it's suggested that not a single team would be interested in trading for him?

+1

On top of that how many GM's even after they have traded a headache, openly say "I should have known better" when assessing their signings???

+1

On top of that how many GM's even after they have traded a headache, openly say "I should have known better" when assessing their signings???

Habsy and Hab29 are you guys on that four man ignore list, because I want to be on that list. Common sense sometimes is pretty thin around here. If you remember a year ago we couldn't get rid of Gomer Pyle because we couldn't get anyone to replace him. We know how that turned out. Now we can't get rid of Kaberle, because he is way too valuable on power play, which just happens to be last or close to it. We suck. Let's move forward, instead of in circles.

Habsy and Hab29 are you guys on that four man ignore list, because I want to be on that list. Common sense sometimes is pretty thin around here. If you remember a year ago we couldn't get rid of Gomer Pyle because we couldn't get anyone to replace him. We know how that turned out. Now we can't get rid of Kaberle, because he is way too valuable on power play, which just happens to be last or close to it. We suck. Let's move forward, instead of in circles.

I don't know anything about that list, or that feature. The idea of an ignore list I find lame anyway. I'd never use it. I have broad shoulders, if someone doesn't like my opinion, I can take it.

Frankly, i thought it was a crock of shit, whenver somene complained how we couldn't get rid of Gomez, since there was no one to take his place. Frankly, my two year old son would probably would have been a better option then Gomez - at least he wouldn't be eating up cap space. exactly how hard is to replace a guy who had 38 points and less then 10 this year??? It's pretty funny how the guys who were 1) happy we traded for Gomez , 2) wanted to give Gomez an oppertunity to show his worth after his slow start last year, 3) wanted to give Gomez a chance to redeem himself in the playoffs, becasue he was a great playoff performer, 4) wanted to bring him back this year, becuase he couldn't possible be as bad as he was last year, have finally come around to the same conclusion that I had when Gainey first made the trade - Gomez was, is and will be a dog in Montreal. It was a terrible trade and the the faster we can dump him the better off we are.

Same thing with Kaberle. I would have been happier giving up a prospect or an asset for a dman who can put up 30 points but actually play defence as well then Kaberle. Aside then being a defensive liablity, Kaberle is a guy who was content with being a loser rather then taking an oppertunity to get out of the abys that was the maple leafs. The guy has been in the league, what 11 or 12 years and with the exception of last year after finally agreeing to a trade to BOston, missed the playoffs five straight year, yet he preferred to continue to be a loser in toronto then go to a wining culture. Comfort was more important then winning. Not the kind of guy I want on my team. Now, I hear this crock of shit how essential Kaberle is until we know about Markov. Kaberle is not capable of carrying Markov's jock strap, let alone replacing him in the lineup. He can't make the outlet pass from his own zone that Markov can, he can't defend like Markov can, he can't play the minutes that markov can, he can't even take a bloody shot on the PP, like Markov does (thus negating his effectiveness, since everyone knows he is looking to pass), so tell me, how exactly is he going to replace Markov. I don't give a damn if he scores 45, 55 or even 65 points, if that means we still lose. There are plenty off players with good numbers, but got those numbers on losting teams. Kaberle is one of those players. We talk about wanting a different culture and identity. Kaberle personifies, softness and losing.

If he is still around next year (which he probably will be, unless we can find a GM as dumb as PG), the same people that defended Gomez, will be saying, how we can't get rid of Kaberle until we replace him (like they did with Gomez) - forgetting, that we need to get rid of his ass to replace his cap hit. Kaberle is not that hard to replace. I'd rather try and bring back Streit at $5M then Kaberle at 4.2M. I'd also rather try and trade for Byfulgien, Odaya, lisnovsky, bogasian, meszaros and many other dman, then keep Kaberle next year. We gave up Cammy for a bum like Bourque, when he could have been used as a chip as part of a package to get a stud dman. Then in the last year of his deal, these same defenders of Kaberle will be saying, how we need to move him (like they are with Gomez).

The defenders of Kaberle are the same defenders of PG. I've been hearing for the last two years, how great of GM PG is. Now those same people want him fired. Even then they still defend him with crap arguemetns like when looked at indvidually, PG's moves aren't that bad, but as a whole they don't make sense. PG is building a hockey team, not a friggin tennis team. ALl the parts of the team need to work together to succeed, each deal needs to support the team.

We need a clean break from the likes of Gomez and Kaberle next year, I would much rather preferred if PG had traded for someone like Liles then the crap dman moves he made this year.

We need a clean break from the likes of Gomez and Kaberle next year, I would much rather preferred if PG had traded for someone like Liles then the crap dman moves he made this year.

I know points aren't everything but Liles has 22 in 43 GP so far this year (.51 PPG). With the Habs Kaberle has 17 in 31 (.55 PPG) so in terms of production they're in the same ballpark. Yes, Liles can log some more minutes but both are considered soft passive players. I'd say neither are ideal but all things considered, I'd probably be happier dealing a struggling short-term asset in Spacek for Kaberle than dealing another 2nd round pick for Liles. I think Kaberle has helped his value since the trade and isn't impossible to move as some think. A move probably won't happen this year but in the offseason, assuming he keeps up his current pace, I think they could find a taker.

I know points aren't everything but Liles has 22 in 43 GP so far this year (.51 PPG). With the Habs Kaberle has 17 in 31 (.55 PPG) so in terms of production they're in the same ballpark. Yes, Liles can log some more minutes but both are considered soft passive players. I'd say neither are ideal but all things considered, I'd probably be happier dealing a struggling short-term asset in Spacek for Kaberle than dealing another 2nd round pick for Liles. I think Kaberle has helped his value since the trade and isn't impossible to move as some think. A move probably won't happen this year but in the offseason, assuming he keeps up his current pace, I think they could find a taker.

Dealing Kaberle should be low on priority list and actually hope not done. There is only 1 cull that needs to be made and it is a major one, #11.

A little outside the box but how about trading Plekanec to Florida for a 1st and a prospect? And then in the off season dump/bury Gomez and use his salary to hopefully sign Parise. Then use the Plekanec salary to give Price and Subban a raise. It would suck to not be able to sign Parise but the crop of UFA centers next year is pretty substantial ( Crosby, J Staal, Getzlaf, Zajac, Roy) and the wingers too ( Perry, Iginla, Clowe, Horton).

I'm not knocking Plekanec but something has to give. We can't have Pleks, Desharnais and Eller down the middle and expect to contend. DD is a quality/cheap #2 center, while Eller is and will be a solid/cheap #3. I'd like to package Plex with picks to get a #1 stud center but if that can't happen I like my idea.

A little outside the box but how about trading Plekanec to Florida for a 1st and a prospect? And then in the off season dump/bury Gomez and use his salary to hopefully sign Parise. Then use the Plekanec salary to give Price and Subban a raise. It would suck to not be able to sign Parise but the crop of UFA centers next year is pretty substantial ( Crosby, J Staal, Getzlaf, Zajac, Roy) and the wingers too ( Perry, Iginla, Clowe, Horton).

I'm not knocking Plekanec but something has to give. We can't have Pleks, Desharnais and Eller down the middle and expect to contend. DD is a quality/cheap #2 center, while Eller is and will be a solid/cheap #3. I'd like to package Plex with picks to get a #1 stud center but if that can't happen I like my idea.

I think because of the price tag and what they bring I actually believe Desharnais is more likley to be moved than Plekanec.

I think because of the price tag and what they bring I actually believe Desharnais is more likley to be moved than Plekanec.

But that's why I think we should keep Desharnais. He is fairly effective and his size isn't much of an issue when he has big wingers with him. He is putting up points and when he is due for a raise, it's hard to imagine he will get a boatload.

Plekanec if a #2 would be an elite #2 in the NHL, one of the best in the league with his two way play and ability to match up against other teams top lines.  I doubt you are going to replace that with a low first rounder or prospect, so I would not trade him. I also still have doubts about Desharnais' long term ability to be a number two centre in the NHL.  He's an NHL player, but he's still more effective as a third line winger than 2nd line centre IMO.  Yes he's producing, but right now he is being sheltered by having the two best and biggest wingers on his line.  He is a much bigger defensive liability than Plekanec and one that needs to be protected by these wingers. I think he's a great guy to have cause he can produce some offence, but you need to be real careful with his linemates and his matchups, and I'd much rather have Plekanec in the number 2 hole as a guy who I don't have to worry about, and can play against anyone in the NHL. Pleks at 5 million is also a very fair price for a #2 centre.

Plekanec if a #2 would be an elite #2 in the NHL, one of the best in the league with his two way play and ability to match up against other teams top lines. I doubt you are going to replace that with a low first rounder or prospect, so I would not trade him. I also still have doubts about Desharnais' long term ability to be a number two centre in the NHL. He's an NHL player, but he's still more effective as a third line winger than 2nd line centre IMO. Yes he's producing, but right now he is being sheltered by having the two best and biggest wingers on his line. He is a much bigger defensive liability than Plekanec and one that needs to be protected by these wingers. I think he's a great guy to have cause he can produce some offence, but you need to be real careful with his linemates and his matchups, and I'd much rather have Plekanec in the number 2 hole as a guy who I don't have to worry about, and can play against anyone in the NHL. Pleks at 5 million is also a very fair price for a #2 centre.

I agree with your assessment of Plekanec 100%. I don't have a problem with him and think he is brings great value at 5m/per. Ideally we can get that elite center that we so desperately need and Pleks can then thrive in the 2 hole. My idea is based on the fact that he DOES have that value and would fetch a decent return, whether it be picks/prospects or packaged to obtain an elite center. And the fact that Eller has shown great strides in his development and DD is holding his own, reassures me that life without Pleks could be okay. For me, anybody not named Price can be moved in order to bring in a PPG #1 center.

I'm crazy and want to see how Eller develops. I honestly think he could be the big center Montreal has been clamouring for. Maybe not an 80 point guy but last year 65 points meant top 15 NHL centerman. I can see Eller becoming a 55-75 point center.

Nothing crazy about that. I'm a little more cautious in my optimism though. Let's start with a 20 goal season.

Nothing crazy about that. I'm a little more cautious in my optimism though. Let's start with a 20 goal season.

You have to remember he spent the a season and a half under Martin, which set his offensive development back a year and a half. Under the right coach Eller can be a top 2 center. I wouldn't push it saying a #1 center. He has by far the best stickwork on the team. He'll never be Kovalev with the puck but with his stickwork, a few more pounds, and some encouragement, he could be one of the best in the league along the boards.

Allow me to add a Campoli prediction of sorts...just to get the thread back on track. The Habs have been involved in a couple of GP-based conditional draft pick swaps and I think we could see one with Campoli. So I'll toss this out there, a 4th in 2012 that becomes a 3rd if Campoli plays 50% of his teams' playoff games. The going rate for D is pretty high right now and I think a few teams would be comfortable moving a mid-round pick simply for added depth. If he plays in the postseason, he must be doing well enough to stay in the lineup making it a bit easier to have the condition in there.

Eller is a hard one to pin down. Clearly, he is a bona-fide NHLer. But we've seen guys before with what seemed to be an impressive tool-kit who, for whatever reason, were never quite able to generate the kind of production that would nail down a top-6 role. I think Eller has #2 C potential, but I also think there is at least some possibility that he becomes a sort of glorified Jan Bulis. 17 points last season, projecting for 30 points this season - and that includes one big 5-point night - these aren't vertiginous totals. I know he's young, I'm not trying to slag him. But he isn't one of those young players, like PK Subban, that generates instant confidence that he will be part of your core for years to come.

As for Plekanec, it's interesting to imagine him being shipped as part of a deal that brought back a truly elite C. Other than that, I'm not clear on why we'd trade him.

I agree with your assessment of Plekanec 100%. I don't have a problem with him and think he is brings great value at 5m/per. Ideally we can get that elite center that we so desperately need and Pleks can then thrive in the 2 hole. My idea is based on the fact that he DOES have that value and would fetch a decent return, whether it be picks/prospects or packaged to obtain an elite center. And the fact that Eller has shown great strides in his development and DD is holding his own, reassures me that life without Pleks could be okay. For me, anybody not named Price can be moved in order to bring in a PPG #1 center.

If you are bringing in a PPG #1 centre, that is a completely different discussion than bringing back a late first rounder and a prospect.

If you get rid of Gomez you can sign one of the UFAs you mention with Gomez's money and Price/Subban's raises will come out of the money we paid to Kostitsyn/Gill/Campoli/Laraques buyout/ and the Cammalleri/Bourque swap.  That would be more than enough to cover those raises and sign a 3-4 million dollar ufa Dman.

As for Plekanec, it's interesting to imagine him being shipped as part of a deal that brought back a truly elite C. Other than that, I'm not clear on why we'd trade him.

Agree he is the best all around centre on the team if you are not getting a #1 top 20 guy in the nhl back I just don't think its justified.

Eller is a hard one to pin down. Clearly, he is a bona-fide NHLer. But we've seen guys before with what seemed to be an impressive tool-kit who, for whatever reason, were never quite able to generate the kind of production that would nail down a top-6 role. I think Eller has #2 C potential, but I also think there is at least some possibility that he becomes a sort of glorified Jan Bulis. 17 points last season, projecting for 30 points this season - and that includes one big 5-point night - these aren't vertiginous totals. I know he's young, I'm not trying to slag him. But he isn't one of those young players, like PK Subban, that generates instant confidence that he will be part of your core for years to come.

Eller has been spotted in for just about a year, if I recall Plekanec was about three years before he came around. Give Eller a break, he will be fine in a couple years

Agree he is the best all around centre on the team if you are not getting a #1 top 20 guy in the nhl back I just don't think its justified.

Plekanec - Kostitsyn - Weber - 1st round pick.

Pleks is probably one of the best (non-superstar) centers in the NHL for the all-around game he brings. Sure, he might not have 80 points seasons, but if you combine the output that he does bring with the ability to play a terrific shutdown role, he is invaluable. He helps the team in so many ways that doesn't show up on the score sheet.

• Upvote 1

Pleks is probably one of the best (non-superstar) centers in the NHL for the all-around game he brings. Sure, he might not have 80 points seasons, but if you combine the output that he does bring with the ability to play a terrific shutdown role, he is invaluable. He helps the team in so many ways that doesn't show up on the score sheet.

There's always some last season boosts but we're looking at 8-10 80 point players in all of the NHL.

I truly feel that the majority of NHL fans still think this is the mid 90s and scoring 75 points is what second liners do. Jonathan Toews is an unquestionable franchise centerman and he's looking at a 77 point season. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

I just read Eklund on HockeyBuzz and he said something that made me laugh. He said that his source in Montreal, in relation to Jeff Cater said, "..we are all in..". How in the world, with Pierre Gauthier as GM, would anyone know we all in on Jeff Carter??? I wonder if Gauthier even tells his own staff who he's speaking to and what he's working on. I'm sure he asks thier opinion on certain players but the thought of Gauthier letting out any info to anyone regarding who he's trading for is hillarious. What is Eklund thinking if he for a minute thinks we believe he has a source telling him what Gauthier is planning. What a joke!!