Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

I do not see Montreal sending Gomez to Hamilton because it is attempting to build a new culture and attitude in Hamilton with its new young prospects.

gomez is a respected player who everyone really likes and has won a cup. i don't think he would be a problem

I was just taking a look at the oilers D-men

what do you guys think about someone like peckham or sutton....both are relatively cheap could probably be had for next to nothing (weber + an extra 4th liner or late pick) and would add a different element to our bottom pairing.

I dont know too much about Sutton but I like the fact that Peckham plays hard, Peckham is also a RFA and Sutton only has a year left.

Maybe Kaberle would be an option there......

They just added Schultz and expect him to be a puck moving D-man. Untested but they'll still see how he does before trading for a $4.5M defenceman.

I agree. I can't see anyone other then Detroit interested in Kaberle and even then he would be their 3rd or 4th option if they can't make a trade for a more complete player.

Has a Rick Nash proposal already happened in this thread? I don't know the likely hood of it happening but with the way huge contracts are being handed out lately, Nash's doesn't seem so bad all of the sudden. He is definitely an impact player and if the Habs could acquire him, it would be a big step towards where they want to go. Of course they would have to shed salary, the most likely way being by sending Gomez to Hamilton. I would propose Desharnais, Gallagher and a first round pick. The lines could look like:

Nash/Plekanec/Cole

Pacioretty/Galchenyuk/Gionta

Bourque/Eller/Armstrong

Prust/White/Moen

Markov/Gorges

Emelin/Subban

Bouillion/Kaberle

Howson was asking for Skinner + prospects from Carolina and for Couture plus prospects from SJ

surely he'd ask for MaxPac ++ from us

Howson is nuts

And we arent on Nash's list anyway

Yikes! Well he is going to have to lower his asking price or else a deal will not get done. And perhaps if this drags on, Nash will expand his list to include the Habs.

Honestly, I would rather have Ryan that Nash. May not be as skilled, but they are definitely in the same ballpark, and I doubt that Ducks would be asking as much. Maybe Pleks and a 1st rounder? Ryan, Galchenyuk and Gionta seems good...

How many years is Ryan signed for?

Honestly, I would rather have Ryan that Nash. May not be as skilled, but they are definitely in the same ballpark, and I doubt that Ducks would be asking as much. Maybe Pleks and a 1st rounder? Ryan, Galchenyuk and Gionta seems good...

How many years is Ryan signed for?

3years left on deal. cap hit 5.1 mil

Ryan's heart is and will always be in Philadelphia. His family is close to Holmgren's. Basically he wouldn't be bad but whatever you give up you have to know he's never going to stay and in UFA he's heading straight to Philly.

Anaheim needs to make a deal not involving D, Couturier or Schenn and pull the trigger sending Ryan to Philly.

I was just taking a look at the oilers D-men

what do you guys think about someone like peckham or sutton....both are relatively cheap could probably be had for next to nothing (weber + an extra 4th liner or late pick) and would add a different element to our bottom pairing.

I dont know too much about Sutton but I like the fact that Peckham plays hard, Peckham is also a RFA and Sutton only has a year left.

Maybe Kaberle would be an option there......

Peckham is one of those guys I've wanted here for a while. But if we want to add a depth guy like that then I would rather target Florida to see if we can somehow obtain Keaton Ellerby

Very unlikely that this would happen BUT with Weber, Diaz, Boullion, Georges, Nash, St. Denis ect the Canadiens have enough good puck moving D. Would they truly miss Subban on the point or should they consider taking the money hey are about to drop on him to bring in some toughness or a top 6 forward that will make an impact right away?

Bringinging in a top 6 forward, "might" an I use that very loosely, spark a flame under Bourque or Gomez? I do not see either player producing points they were once capable of doing this season and due to that nobody wants to be on there line for the season to come.

Sorry everybody, just thinking out loud after seeing the grit/toughness ad new players Buffalo is adding...

None of the dmen you've mentioned are even close to being as good as Subban, or would replace his top line minutes.

As I've been saying for the past couple of years, you don't trade Subban unless you're getting back a Malkin, Stamkos, or Toews.

Very unlikely that this would happen BUT with Weber, Diaz, Boullion, Georges, Nash, St. Denis ect the Canadiens have enough good puck moving D. Would they truly miss Subban on the point or should they consider taking the money hey are about to drop on him to bring in some toughness or a top 6 forward that will make an impact right away?

Bringinging in a top 6 forward, "might" an I use that very loosely, spark a flame under Bourque or Gomez? I do not see either player producing points they were once capable of doing this season and due to that nobody wants to be on there line for the season to come.

Sorry everybody, just thinking out loud after seeing the grit/toughness ad new players Buffalo is adding...

• Upvote 1

Not to attack anyone but I am so sick of this toughness BS. The habs lack scoring not toughness. Toughness is such a meaningless phrase people toss around without even thinking. Team toughness, front of the net toughness, be specific.

Do the habs need a power forward, a guy other teams don't like to play against? Sure, no team would say no to this, but the pure power forward is a dying breed.I would never think about trading Subban without the return of a player as mentioned above: Malkin, Toews, or Stamkos, or even Tavares.

As for Subban, Habs29 is spot-on. The guy is an elite talent. Why do you want to trade that, especially when he is the ONLY elite-level talent on your blueline, apart from a broken-down and aging Markov? That's clincally insane unless you get an absolute monster in return.

Toughness: there's always a delay between conventional wisdom and reality. The reality is that the Habs have two of the best power forwards in hockey (Patches and Cole), some strong-as-bulls defencemen and a pretty rugged bottom-6 up front. 'Toughness' is not the issue it was last season. And - incidentally - it's worth noting that our team of 'smurfs' went to the Semi-Finals in 2010 and, until last seaosn, routinely gave the supposedly monstrous Boston fits. I question whether we really did get pushed around when it counted, until last season, when the team simply lost the plot. Prior to 2011-12 size was definitely an issue, but not 'toughness' IMHO.

The issue at C has also been addressed, between Galy and the emergence of DD. Yet fans still sometimes bemoan the lack of a stud C.

What this team now needs is straightforward. We need at least one, but preferably two, top-6 talents and one more top-4 defenceman. Adding these is no easy trick, but that's the situation as I see it.

I have spoken out against this before, and you have all replied to this topic well. We are not going to win the Cup this year, even with another top 6 winger. Subban has the type of natural, raw talent that is nearly impossible to come by, he was a major league steal in the 2nd round, if the 2007 draft was to happen again, we would have 2 of the top 5 picks taken. Wait and see how good this guy is this year, and again the following year, when he starts to get Norris nominations. Be patient, Hab fans, this team is gonna rock in another year or so.

What this team now needs is straightforward. We need at least one, but preferably two, top-6 talents and one more top-4 defenceman. Adding these is no easy trick, but that's the situation as I see it.

To me this means the team needs patience.

Top four D-Man: Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis (possibly)

Top six Forwards: Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Holland (possibly), Kristo (possibly), Collberg (possibly), Pribyl (possibly)

Top six Forwards: Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Holland (possibly), Kristo (possibly), Collberg (possibly), Pribyl (possibly)

Well, by 'this team' I mean 'this year's team.'

The future does look promising, but you also have to remember that as we add those youngsters we subtract quality veterans. E.g., will Beaulieu really emerge as a top-4 defenceman before Markov has surrendered that role? Is Gallagher really going to coexist with Gionta, or will his development likely take shape as Gio declines? And is he really going to be an upgrade on what Gio brought? Is Cole still going to be the impact player his is now when the next wave arrives? The point being, it's too facile just to *add* promising prospects into a projected lineup, you also have to subtract good players who will by that point be in their decline. In no way am I trying to dampen optimism about future seasons, but it's all far from cut and dried.

• Upvote 1

I would have to include Collberg as more of a sure thing than even Gallager. He has an amazing release, is a better skater, and seems like he will be a top-6 winger in the NHL. I believe Gallager could be, but if his offense isn't at the same level in the NHL as junior, he could end up playing more of a (sorry to mention his name here) Darcey Tucker type role. Also, for the defense, from what I seen at the Memorial Cup, Ellis is going to be an excellent defender, good all around. I would throw Throwers name in the mix. I haven't seen him play, honestly, but his scouting reports seem to indicate he will be a hard nosed, tough bottom 6 type guy (I know you mentioned top 4 d-men, but having a young guy with offense and toughness in a bottom six role would be awesome), which is fine with me. I know all prospects do not translate into NHLers, but man, we have one impressive group right now. As for subtracting current players, in two seasons, I doubt that Gionta and Cole will be at the same level as they have been recently, so its easy to see them being traded or shuffled down the lineup somehow if needed. If Galchenyuk develops fast, it would also be quite possible to see Pleks moved in the next year or so.

Well, by 'this team' I mean 'this year's team.'

The future does look promising, but you also have to remember that as we add those youngsters we subtract quality veterans. E.g., will Beaulieu really emerge as a top-4 defenceman before Markov has surrendered that role? Is Gallagher really going to coexist with Gionta, or will his development likely take shape as Gio declines? And is he really going to be an upgrade on what Gio brought? Is Cole still going to be the impact player his is now when the next wave arrives? The point being, it's too facile just to *add* promising prospects into a projected lineup, you also have to subtract good players who will by that point be in their decline. In no way am I trying to dampen optimism about future seasons, but it's all far from cut and dried.

Yes of course hard to predict a couple years out, but some of these veterans are going to be gone in next couple years. Markov/Kaberle/Gionta only 2 years left, Bouillon is 1 year fill-in and Weber, Nokalainen will be gone. and likely 3-5 others also.

Subban is almost the #1 d-man now, Gorges/Yemelin will be top 4 two years from now; and 1 of Beaulieu/Ellis/Diaz/Tinordi should be ready for 20minutes/game. With Thrower/Nygren/Dietz/Bennett likely turning pro next fall, i have no worry about whom will replace Markov.

Even if 1/2 of d-men bust or take a while to develop (worst case scenario) there will still be more than enough quality offensive and defensive d-men to stick in front of Price for next few years.

But with all the d-men in the system, for sure Bergevin will need to use some as trade bait, so who will go and who wont is a wild guess.

How Gallagher fits in shouldnt be an issue and if he can just fill Gionta's role that would be a bonus, not sure why he would need to be an upgrade on a hard working 30 goal scorer?

If Cole reverts to a 20-25 goal scorer that will be fine and what should be expected from him anyways. This was a career year for Cole and he may even be forced to 3rd line duty in a couple years, which shouldnt be a shock nor that bad a thing as DD, if still around, may be his 3rd line centre behind Galchenyuk/Eller.