Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

i was one who thought tinordi would stick with the team this year... i was wrong... i was right that jagr could be had for nothing though!

it seems the value of UFA rentals has significantly dropped over years past. just think how UFA's went for multiple picks and prospects as late as last year. (kaberle for a 1st, 2nd and 1st round prospect in the BOS run)!

the more i ponder moves the more i just want to stay pat. who was the last major rental player to help win a cup? kaberle? ray bourque? it seems this move although it happens every year very rarely produces Lord Stanley! i know theres been alot of suttle moves, but i'm talking big trade deadline moves of the iginla, sundin, kovalchuk type? im sure im forgetting someone?

I'd love to see mtl pick up bj crombeen from Tampa. Still under contract for 2 more years at 1.15 million per year. Good addition to the bottom six and adds good toughness for the playoffs and future. Probably won't cost a ton either.

I'd love to see mtl pick up bj crombeen from Tampa. Still under contract for 2 more years at 1.15 million per year. Good addition to the bottom six and adds good toughness for the playoffs and future. Probably won't cost a ton either.

He just signed an extension a couple of days ago so I figure they want to keep him. That type of player would be a decent pickup though.

• 1 month later...

If the Wings lose first round, any chance Franzen is available?

If Datsyuk signs an extension, I'd say there's a small chance. If he doesn't though (lots of reports have him going to the KHL in 2014-15), they'll probably want to keep him around; he and Zetterberg would be the go-to guys then.

If Datsyuk signs an extension, I'd say there's a small chance. If he doesn't though (lots of reports have him going to the KHL in 2014-15), they'll probably want to keep him around; he and Zetterberg would be the go-to guys then.

haha That would suck BIG TIME for the Wings. Losing Lidstrom and Datsyuk back to back... oufffff.

haha That would suck BIG TIME for the Wings. Losing Lidstrom and Datsyuk back to back... oufffff.

Datsyuk will play next year, he's under contract. It's after that where his situation gets iffy with the KHL reports. If his agent passes on every extension offer from Detroit, it's probably a sign he's bolting which would then impact any hypothetical deal with Franzen.

Do we really need to make any trades? Seems to me the young core is pretty damned good. We should be thinking more in terms of trying to add a rugged, reliably top-6 defenceman via free agency, if any are out there. I can see trying to move Gionta and Desharnais if anybody wants them, but good luck with that. In short, all I can see us doing with trades is nibbling around he edges.

Do we really need to make any trades? Seems to me the young core is pretty damned good. We should be thinking more in terms of trying to add a rugged, reliably top-6 defenceman via free agency, if any are out there. I can see trying to move Gionta and Desharnais if anybody wants them, but good luck with that. In short, all I can see us doing with trades is nibbling around he edges.

Well there is the Ryder situation... you are gonna either need to re-sign him, or be down one top 9 forward. I've always liked Franzen as a guy who can get to the front of the net and cause traffic, something we lack.

And we need one defenceman too.

Well there is the Ryder situation... you are gonna either need to re-sign him, or be down one top 9 forward. I've always liked Franzen as a guy who can get to the front of the net and cause traffic, something we lack.

And we need one defenceman too.

That's right. I forgot about the Ryder thing. D'oh.

What's the UFA market like?

Without Ryder, my lineup would be:

Patches - Plek - Gio

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Prust - DD - Bork

Moen - White - SPOT

I don't see a serious need. Gallagher has stepped up into a top six role, same to Eller and Galchenyuk. Let them play their sophomore year together with bigger minutes. Push DD down to easier assignments with Prust and Bork on the wings. Force him to get better defensively. Once the season is over, Gionta will probably go back to Jersey and we can look into filling his role. If we do add someone it will be all about moving Prust to a fourth line role with White and Moen. Or we could fill my fourth line right wing spot with Matt Cooke and become the most hated team in the league by far ;)

Good, it will make him cheaper.

He has been good in the playoffs.

MB doesn't need Horton, just a similar type player.

Also they need a legit heavy weight and another big grinder. Just my opinion

I'll take my chances with Horton, thanks.

Good to hear that the UFA market is promising. Really - and this may sound weird with the team on the verge of elimination - but I don't think we're too far away.

Without Ryder, my lineup would be:

Patches - Plek - Gio

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Prust - DD - Bork

Moen - White - SPOT

I don't see a serious need. Gallagher has stepped up into a top six role, same to Eller and Galchenyuk. Let them play their sophomore year together with bigger minutes. Push DD down to easier assignments with Prust and Bork on the wings. Force him to get better defensively. Once the season is over, Gionta will probably go back to Jersey and we can look into filling his role. If we do add someone it will be all about moving Prust to a fourth line role with White and Moen. Or we could fill my fourth line right wing spot with Matt Cooke and become the most hated team in the league by far ;)

That lineup is all fine and dandy if all 9 guys in your top 9 stay healthy.

See, I'd rather have Prust on the fourth line, and say.... if we need a fill in, we've got one on the roster. Then be really worried about what to do if we have a forward or two injured.

Horton, Clowe and Morrow would be at the top of MB's list I think.

Agree on the first two. We also need a rugged bottom-pairing defenceman. Not a Drewiske, a guy who can take a regular shift.

Raffi Torres would be a great addition. I also want a third-line C who can play top-6 minutes to spell off Eller/Pleks. Desharnais is not required.

The trouble with UFAs is you're gonna overpay. We can say we want these guys, but I guarantee you within two years some of the people pining for them at the moment will be whining about the "horrible contracts."

It's ok to over pay for your guy. Some team will over pay for him. If you believe in the player and what your doing, you have to.

I think he'll go after 3 players, like you guys mentioned above, A Horton type player, A clowe type player and i think he gets a heavyweight, He tried to get Sestito on waivers already. All 3 of those guys are UFA's.

It's ok to over pay for your guy. Some team will over pay for him. If you believe in the player and what your doing, you have to.

I think he'll go after 3 players, like you guys mentioned above, A Horton type player, A clowe type player and i think he gets a heavyweight, He tried to get Sestito on waivers already. All 3 of those guys are UFA's.

I totally agree on overpaying, and have consistently resisted the cap hawks (sometimes erroneously, as when I defended the Kaberle trade). The main thing, when overpaying, is to make sure you're signing a good player who will reliably help your team. Look at Brian Campbell in Chicago. Nobody is complaining about that cap hit, bloated as it is.

I don't think MB will sign both Horton and Clowe, but one of those guys may not be out of the question. And that's a good point about a policeman.

Any rugged defencemen expected to be available on the UFA market?

Clowe had 3 goals in 41 games after he was taken off Thornton's line.

Some question has to be asked, were his goal scoring numbers the product of Joe Thornton... much like Cheechoo, and Glen Murray before him (who each got boosts of 20+ goals a year with Joe over what they did without him).