Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Now that the Flyers appear to be severely over the salary cap because of the Lecavalier signing, do they have players Montreal would be interested in via a trade?

They gotta do something... only one goalie and a hodgepodge defense corps, plus a bunch of RFAs that will get raises next offseason. Chris Pronger on LTIR doesn't solve all those problems.

Philly will have to do something fairly quickly. Even though Pronger is LTIR-bound, he technically comes back onto the cap in the offseason for the purposes of the tagging rule (teams can't go more than 10% over the cap in the offseason). They're around $68 M now so they can only add another $2.5ish million before the league starts rejecting deals for tagging violations. I imagine they'll want a goalie worth more than that so someone will have to go. Coburn is the one teams want, Grossmann is probably the one the Flyers will want to move. (Of course the fun part there is that they need D and will likely have to move one making a weak spot weaker.)

TSN reporting Blue Jackets are looking for a scoring forward and they'd prefer a smaller character scoring forward over a bigger less passionate forward.

“If you ask anybody, they'd take a 6-5 guy who scores 30 goals over a 5-8 guy who scores 30 goals,” Kekalainen told Aaron Portzline of the Dispatch. “But me personally, I prefer the small guys who play with big heart to the big guys who are less passionate.”

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426856

Looks like a great chance to get rid of Gionta as they are stacked with centers.

Maybe Gionta for Jarred Boll + pick? Use the additional cap space to get one of the bigger scoring wingers on the market?

You don't trade your captain. Let him run out his contract. Last thing I want is the 90s again where the team had zero leadership because we kept trading it. Especially since despite people putting their hands to their ears and shouting when it's said, Gionta is still one of our best forwards.

Desharnais sounds like he fits the bill though.

Ive said this numerous times but.. Habs can't go into the season with Gio DD & Gally on the roster and be taken seriously. (As contender-ish-ers)

You don't trade your captain. Let him run out his contract. Last thing I want is the 90s again where the team had zero leadership because we kept trading it. Especially since despite people putting their hands to their ears and shouting when it's said, Gionta is still one of our best forwards.

Desharnais sounds like he fits the bill though.

You seem to get too consumed with the crazy opinions of others. They could be 12 years old on their mother's computer. I agree with you though. MB probably won't trade the captain. And he's even less likely to trade DD. First off, nobody wants him and that contract. And secondly, he'll get another chance to prove himself.

TSN reporting Blue Jackets are looking for a scoring forward and they'd prefer a smaller character scoring forward over a bigger less passionate forward.

“If you ask anybody, they'd take a 6-5 guy who scores 30 goals over a 5-8 guy who scores 30 goals,” Kekalainen told Aaron Portzline of the Dispatch. “But me personally, I prefer the small guys who play with big heart to the big guys who are less passionate.”

Hey, look at that...a team not named Montreal (with a new GM) that also doesn't value size over skill.

We're in great company to be sure :nuts:

That's why I specified that it's a new regime - the old one went for more size and as we saw, that got them nowhere (as did inept decision making in a variety of other areas...).

That's why I specified that it's a new regime - the old one went for more size and as we saw, that got them nowhere (as did inept decision making in a variety of other areas...).

Yeah, I figured.

Like you, I think the "size" thing is an exagerrated concern. But I certainly have no objection to the Habs getting bigger, provided they remember that big without skill or heart is much more useless than small with an abundance of both.

Like you, I think the "size" thing is an exagerrated concern. But I certainly have no objection to the Habs getting bigger, provided they remember that big without skill or heart is much more useless than small with an abundance of both.

There's nothing wrong with striving to get bigger and tougher and I certainly agree that it's needed (since I've been yammering about this in several posts today somewhat aggressively, I feel I should get that out there). But like you say, it's not the only factor, skill and character are also important elements; a smaller player with skill and character is more likely to succeed than a 6'4 forward with no discernible skill and lacks in the character department. Obviously the goal is to get a player with the trifecta (size, skill, and character) but those players are few and far between and it appears to be clear that skill and heart are still high on the priority list for Bergevin, even with the stated need to get bigger. Fortunately, you can do both at the same time (bring in smaller skilled guys but surround them with bigger, more physical complementary players). That's not a perfect way to do things but it would yield an upgrade on the situation we've seen in recent years nonetheless.

Size is great, skill is greater, character is greatest - but it's ultimately just about getting the right players. The Bruins have the toughest top six guy in the league, and he's not even the most intimidating guy on the team. Chara is pretty much unbeatable in a fight with anyone who's worth it, but he's still a Norris caliber defenseman even without his fighting abilities. These are two players pretty much without peer in the league - that's what makes the Bruins' size work so well for them. The Thorntons and McQuaids are incidental. Bergeron, Kreicji and Marchand form the rest of their core, and they'd be important contributors on any team.

Then you have the Blackhawks, a team with little size but tons of skill and character. They have 5-6 all-star caliber players in their line-up, but Hossa's the biggest and isn't all that intimidating. But they make up for it.

• Upvote 1

Hey, look at that...a team not named Montreal (with a new GM) that also doesn't value size over skill.

The first Euro GM... Don Cherry must like this... :P

Here we go an actual trade proposal----- Desharnais, Diaz for Graboski and O'Byrne-- have fun tearing that apart!

O'Byrne can't be traded, he's a UFA. (His rights could technically be dealt but since the negotiation period is open, there literally would be no benefit to doing so.)

That was a terminal rip, Brian.

Also, Grabovski is not welcome here. I would personally go to the Bell Centre to pee in his equipment every game if he came back.

That was a terminal rip, Brian.

Also, Grabovski is not welcome here. I would personally go to the Bell Centre to pee in his equipment every game if he came back.

You do realize that some on here might find that a benefit to trading for him? You'd have so many great stories to share with us about how you snuck by security to gain access to his equipment bag.

You do realize that some on here might find that a benefit to trading for him? You'd have so many great stories to share with us about how you snuck by security to gain access to his equipment bag.

It's funny that I had the exact same thought.

My list of would start and end with Chris Stewart. Not sure if Blues can afford him,and would be the #1 player this team needs. Big,young power forward that could pot 25,hit,go to the net and win . corner battles.He's worth the 5yr/$25m it would take to keep him.I'm not sure what it would take or if we have the assets it would take to acquire him.

Edited by jcc10

O'Byrne can't be traded, he's a UFA. (His rights could technically be dealt but since the negotiation period is open, there literally would be no benefit to doing so.)

Graboski was also put on waivers this morning, scratch that idea.

Graboski was also put on waivers this morning, scratch that idea.

The KHL will be getting one helluva line next season:

Sergei Kostitsyn - Mikhail Grabovski - Andrei Kostitsyn

The KHL will be getting one helluva line next season:

Sergei Kostitsyn - Mikhail Grabovski - Andrei Kostitsyn

Yeah, they will range from the best line on the ice, when their all deciding to play that night, to the most useless forward line in Europe, kid leagues included, when they decide not to play and everywhere in between. Might be the flakiest line in the world though.